Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer- Papaya

3.5

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, tocopheryl acetate, tocopherol, beeswax, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, lanolin, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, , mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil. May contain: iron oxide, mica, carmine, titanium dioxide

on 5/21/2008 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

For some reason, as I was walking through the aisles of my local SDM, this caught my eye. I initially wanted a different colour, but there were hardly any of these things in stock. I think my main issue is the colour I picked out...I find this horrible on me as I feel like its too mature a colour for.

Pros - The same cooling sensation you find in their original lip balm. Packaging is nice and simple, just like Softlips.

Cons - Too much shimmer. Unfavourable colour and sheen.

I dont know what to do with it now..its sitting on the bottom of some drawer somewhere.

on 4/9/2008 10:32:00 AM

Me: 41, C2/NC15, glasses. Pros: Easy to find. Even my tiny grocery store (semi-rural town) has a display of BB these days. Strong color/pigment, unusual in a "balm". Stays on and does not migrate into fine lines. Peppermint scent (also strong) lingers, a plus in the afternoon when I'm a bit tired. Packaging: Only okay. The color on the outside of the package isn't even close, in my opinion, to the color of the actual product. Balm can also be capped without it being completely twisted down- no breakage as this is a waxy balm, but it is a bit messy. Cons: This particular shade is a very bright copper-orange. I'm sure that cooler skin tones wouldn't like it- the shade reminds me of a "burnt umber" crayon from the Crayola box. It's wearable on my yellow olive skin tone but a slightly rosier, lighter color would be nicer. This is such a strong color it isn't for days when you're wearing a lot of other makeup. Buy again? Not in this shade. Maybe in something more pink as the lasting power is good.

on 2/19/2008 1:35:00 AM

Bright reddish orange, with TONS of shimmer. I normally like warm and copper shades, but this was a bit too bright and much too frosty for me-- even layered over another balm. Too bad because I like the moisturizing texture and the tingly mint scent. I also like that mint in these lip shimmers isn't as strong as in the regular Burt's Bees lip balm. I just don't understand why they put quite so much frost in a product that's supposed to be more "natural" than other lipsticks. I don't mind shimmer but this was over the top. UPDATE: Bought this in "Nutmeg" and it turned out to be the perfect color for me-- warm bronze with a hint of burnt orange/ red and subtle shimmer. It's like a softer more mellow version of Papaya. See the reviews. If you're looking for a warm, subtle color that's the one to try. For reference I am very fair PPP (Mac NC/NW15) and neutral-toned.

on 9/10/2007 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love Burt's Bees even though I'm not jam packed full of their products. This lip shimmer has such a wonderful tingle when its applied, it's as if you can feel it working. It does have some drawbacks that prevent me from giving it a perfect score though. The shimmering copper color is beautiful, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't work with my skin tone most of the time. Also, after the sparkling sensation has died down it feels as if you have this extra goop on your lips. To prevent this I apply a creamier lip balm (Alba's Passion Fruit Nectar Balm) and then dab some of BB's lip shimmer for a gloss that isn't too overpowering. Last but not least, the price didn't appeal to my tastes, but it was expected since it's more of a lip stain than a balm. Overall I'd say it's worth the buy if the shade is a perfect match for you, but other than that I'm not buying this again because of the color. Experimenting with what works is key though, so don't get intimidated.

on 8/1/2007 3:18:00 PM

picked this up at target because i know burt's bees made natural products.

i love the color - unfortunately there is no staying power and it is drying.

victoria's secret beauty rush lip glosses stayed on my lips longer and it moisturizes more.

i will not buy it again.

on 7/28/2007 1:07:00 AM

My friend and I were waiting for someone at a library and this display caught our eye. She bought the rhubarb, which looked great on her but I wanted something darker, so I bought the papaya. At first, I loved the tingle, but hated the color, which on my light skin looked too shocking. It was orangish with gold/coppery shimmer. I vowed to never use it ever again, until I realized one day that I didn't have any lip products with me except this. So, I put it on and surprisingly, the color looked good on me now. I think the problem is that this color only looks good on me in dark places, like evening restaurants or bars. Overall though, it rocks.

on 7/8/2007 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The balms in general are great, as long as one can find the right color. I happen to be warm yellow toned and if used sparingly this color looks nice. It's got shimmer in it, but very fine shimmer. Hydration level is okay, and it lasts a decent amount of time. What you see on the cap doesn't really relfect the true color of the product, so if you can, test it out first. I could see how this would look horrible on cool toned gals, but if you can rock warm colors then definitely try this out.

I like a couple of the colors from burts bees, especially nutmeg. I dont like papaya as much, its like a burnt orange color.

on 5/12/2007 11:12:00 PM

Really hard to tell the actual color of these, this one was VERY orange/copper on. I am very pink/fair and must use this one very sparingly. Wish the cap was the real color, like the product and the price.

I had been ogling the Burt's Bees lip shimmers at my health food market for a long time before I finally caved and bought a couple of shades. The first shade I tried was Merlot, and the second was Papaya.

I should explain (as many other readers have) that the caps and bases of the lip shimmers are supposed to match the actual color of the lip product within, but they don't. The lip shimmers usually look brighter and more sheer when applied than the cap/base color.

Anyway, Merlot turned out to be a bright fuschia instead of the deep raspberry it appeared to be on the cap. It still looks okay on me, though. After I blot a bit of the product off after application, it becomes a light raspberry shade.

Papaya turned out to be a lovely copper shade with golden-orange flecks of shimmer instead of the clay-brown it appeared to be on the cap.
Surprisingly, I love this shade!! I have extremely fair skin with neutral undertones and dark chestnut hair, and I don't usually wear very warm shades (I like neutrals and cool berries, even though most colors do look good on me). However, this coppery hue brightens up my face beautifully in a MLBB way.

Also, this lip shimmer is a great balm. I LOVE the tingly, pepperminty-ness of this lip balm, and it keeps my lips well-hydrated.

Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer is a great alternative to lip gloss (which I hate--too shiny) and lipstick (which can look a bit heavy). However, I definitely recommend going to a health food store (if possible) where you can actually test out the shades before buying, considering the slight absence of similitude between the caps and actual lip color. If you can find the right shade, these lip shimmers will most definitely become a purse staple!

Top Rated Burt's Bees Products