November 28, 2014 | 915 users online

Liquid - Hourglass - Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 4:15:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

Another high end foundation I was not impressed with. Heavy and accentuated my lines and pores. Good coverage but not something I couldn't get from Revlon Colorstay. I would never pay $60 for this. I got this in a generous sample from Sephora and I was very disappointed. 3 lippies for the packaging and how nice it looks but the product itself is nothing to write home about.

I looked better without it frankly and I would not recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by mizzou_nyc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a pretty large sample of this at Sephora with the primer as I had seen fantastic reviews on youtube singing its praises. Based on the hefty pricetag, I had high expectations. The packaging is wonderful, the product feels absolutely wonderful going on(I'm shade porcelain for this foundation).

I cleansed with my Clarisonic, moisturized, and applied hourglass primer(again, this product too feels wonderful upon application), and then applied the foundation. This is a medium to full coverage foundation, and I know everyone's skin is different, but it highly oxidized on me. By the end of the work day, it was at least 2 shades darker on my face and it looked masklike - hello orange face. Perhaps it's just my personal skin chemistry that didn't react well to it, but I also didn't think the coverage looked very skin like or natural either.

For the price, in my mind there are so many better options than this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by chrononaut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was put off by some of the terrible reviews on this product but I'm glad I gave it a chance. I've had it for a few weeks now so I feel I can give it a decent review.

I am an NC20 for reference with strong yellow undertones and bought this in Porcelain. I really don't see anyone with lighter skin tones matching well with this product.

If I do not exfoliate, and put on a night cream the night before, this WILL cling to my dry patches. It gives a radiant finish and paired with Bare Minerals Mineral Veil, it lasts a very long time.

It does cost 60 dollars but I can justify the price because this has the primer ALREADY IN IT and I don't need additional primers and I only need a half a pump to cover my whole face.

Love love love this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by threecats

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As promised, it gives a radiant glow, covers pores, and does not settle into lines or make me look old. Of Hourglass' three new foundations (including the Tinted Moisturizer and Liquid Powder Foundation) this is the best one, hands down. I think it is more natural looking and wears better than many other foundations I've tried. It's just not quite good enough to make me abandon my HG Shiseido foundations that I swear by.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2013 7:04:00 PM More reviews by MES

I love the finish on this, hands down best finish of any foundation. Not too matte, not too dewy, just very natural. Light to medium coverage, not at all heavy or cakey on my dry skin. I applied this with my fingers, a dab on the forehead, chin, cheeks, and nose and blended out. finished with a very light dusting of powder and was done. Great makeup that doesn't look like you are wearing makeup. Very pricey though, and definitely high end.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2013 2:09:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation is way too thick and cakey. When I wear it I can feel like I'm wearing foundation all day long - who wants that? Heavy, heavy, heavy - way too much coverage. Also separates and has to be mixed again before applied. *shudders* DO NOT WANT.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2013 9:27:00 AM More reviews by sexysylvia1211

I like a flawless coverage- but not thick and cakey, my fave foundation so far being MUFE HD foundation/ occasionally LM silk creme. I dont like mac foundations, as although i love medium-fuller coverage they all tend to look quite made up on me, and visible. Anyway i got this in sand which was slightly too light for my nc35/37 skintone. I didnt find it orange-y at all just about 2 shades lighter than I am. I didnt like the coverage- too sheer, slippery texture of the foundation so kept moving about, and highlighted all these pores on my nose and dry patches (and with the horrid uk winter weather right now i definitely have a few!) My skin which is otherwise clear, looked crap. Bits of redness around my nose showed through the foundation. Definitely not for me. I thought it was like those runny thin drugstore foundations and certainly nothing about it wowed me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 10:17:00 AM More reviews by khov92

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a fantastic foundation, but of course not for everyone. This might help someone trying to decide if this foundation could work for them:

- provides a light to medium level of coverage
- dewy to satin finish. if you have oily skin and prefer a mattifying foundation, this is not it. I have dry to normal skin and I adore the natural finish it gives
- limited shade range BUT is workable. I have NC20 skin and wear the shade 0- porcelain, which has yellow undertones too. I don't see this working for anyone with lighter skin than that, but when this shade is buffed in it suits me very well. Shade 1 is too peach-toned for me and doesn't match my neck.
- best applied with a synthetic buffing brush in circular motions. I use the retractable foundation brush also made by hourglass but I've had good results also with the Real Techniques buffing brush and the Sigma f80 flat-top kabuki brush.
- if shine is a problem for you then definitely use a powder after you apply the foundation. I find this works really well with the NARS light reflecting setting powder on my T-zone.

Overall, I love this foundation and it is my holy grail. I'm normal to dry and the finish works well for me and doesn't oxidize. But try it out first! In Australia, mecca cosmetica always offers samples. $87 AUD is too much to spend on a foundation that doesn't work for you.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by suraimcfly

The end all and be all of foundation. Great medium to heavy coverage without the cakey feeling. They softer "lit" affect is nice glow on my combo skin but NOT as dewey as BB/CC creams, which I don't like for that aspect. In fact, it's skin tightening and softening, spanx for the face is what one make up artisit calls it. He's right, takes years off the face! Feels great on.

Now for the color. Hourglass is weird in this way. DO NOT rely on the numbering system, 1.5 (nude that should work for most Asian skin tones), is darker than 2.0, depending on your definition of "dark". So invest the time to find the color without relying on the numbers, it's worth it.

I hate wearing foundation so when I need the coverage, I splurge on the best. I have Georgio Maestro, Tom Ford, YSL, Kevin Aucion, Laura Mercier, Cle de peu, MAC, Chantacalle, etc... Been there done that, all disappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by antarctican

I tried this as a free Sephora sample. Be warned -- it's SO orange. I have neutral to warm skin and I can't even imagine whose skin tone would match this. Given some of the other reviews, it sounds like the oranginess runs throughout all of the shades in this line. I tried Nude. Egad. No bueno.