July 29, 2014 | 1564 users online

Cleansers - The Body Shop - Tea Tree Oil Face Wash

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2014 9:04:00 AM More reviews by ichigocutie

I've tried all of TBS tea tree skincare line and this cleanser and the oil spot treatment are my faves. I love the smell of tea tree oil,it's so refreshing. Some think the smell is horrible but it's something you grow into especially when you associate tea tree = clear skin. I've finished 3 regular size bottles and several travel size. I used to have oily skin all over and this cleanser was my fave to use all year around. But my skin changed to more of a oily/combo so I only use the cleanser in the summer months or a few times a week for when my skin feels just "yucky". Great cleanser,love it!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2014 9:38:00 PM More reviews by jobson

I have very oily, acne prone skin and I am willing to try pretty much anything to help. I got this product in a package of three alongside the tea tree oil toner and lotion for only 20$ when normally all three products are worth nearly 50$! The woman working at the store said that it was a popular product and they had a hard time keeping it on the shelf.

This product did not work for me at all. It dried out my skin so much, and even after putting on the lotion my skin still felt dry and stiff. I ended up breaking out much much worse than normal. Thinking it may just have been a change of product breakout that I usually get, I stuck with the trio for about a month. It certainly reduced redness, but it was definitely causing more harm than good.

Finally, the smell of the stuff is horrible. You get use to it after awhile, but on first use it is a terrible scent !

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2014 1:09:00 AM More reviews by l1nd53y

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for at least a year. The price is good and a little goes a long way. It's decent at removing makeup. I've begun to suspect though that this product is responsible for my face over-developing oil, because it dries it out so much. That uncomfortable, tight feeling. If you have oilier skin I suppose this may work for you, but I get pretty oily in the t-zone and this still dries me out. I just ordered DHC's cleansing oil and mild soap bar, and I'm hoping I'll like that regimen better.

My fiance really likes it though. I told him I was looking into something different and he told me I'd better still buy it for him, haha.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Ichigowish

Using the face wash made my skin dry and cracked when it is supposed to be gentle on the skin. It also made my face red and made my acne spread out. My face felt tight after usage. Using it in the morning made my skin dry and flaky. However, using it at night did not make my skin that way. It just made it more inflamed I guess. I will not buy this product again since it made me break out in just 3 days. Made my skin worse than it already was.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2014 3:44:00 AM More reviews by mxxlu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I went on a huge whim and bought a bunch of the Body Shop's products from the Tea Tree line. I've heard great things about tea tree oil for acne, so that's why I got a bunch from the Body Shop to test out. They were also having a big sale at the time.

None of the products calmed my acne, including this cleanser. I didn't see any difference in using this cleanser and its toner. My face just kept breaking out, sometimes maybe even worse than it used to.. The smell is also annoying, but that's just tea tree oil's scent in general. Consistency is gel, but it foams if you lather it on your fingers prior to application.

I have had pretty bad acne for about 5 years now, been looking for my holy grail product that will treat my face. This is NOT it. I suggest using 100% pure tea tree oil found at the health food stores. Those are purely natural and actually works much better on my skin compared to this product.

I also find their website very deceiving as the reviews published are all very high-rated and positive.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2014 7:20:00 PM More reviews by andikacitra25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought it based on the good reviews I read on several websites. Yes, my face felt clean after using the product, but somehow it becomes too dry and the next day I started to get more pimples. I think the ingredients are too harsh for my skin, or maybe I'm allergic to some of its ingredients.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by OhKitsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hello!

I bought this cleanser because I was extremely desperate trying to calm a very bad allergy rash I got when tried a new cleanser. It purchased this in Singapore because they were having a good sale and I read wonderful reviews. The SA wasn't very helpful but.. tea tree itself is good.. so I took a risk.

Glad I did.

The cleanser itself is lovely. I love love the smell. It's so.. minty. It feels minty too and I love how refreshing my skin feels when I wash it all off. I usually pour like a pea-sized on my palm and then gently massage bit by bit on my skin, I usually start on the problem areas first aka my cheeks. Initially they had full-blown crazy red rashes, after a week, they calmed down significantly (coupled with RHO, honey mask, and HadaLabo moisturiser).

I am very impressed by this cleanser. Within 2 days, the rashes started to dry and subside. It was.. a relief. I use it twice a day (initially meant to be a morning cleanser but since it's producing good results, I'll continue for a while) and at night, I use it together with my Clarisonic Mia 2. Great combo hihi.

I noticed that after 2 weeks, my rashes have totally subsided (only left with utterly horrible dark marks) and no more breakouts. At all. My oiliness is much better although I will forever have an oily forehead. I do notice that it tends to be a bit drying around the mouth area and the sides of my cheeks, hence 4 lippies. But it's nothing a good and consistent moisturiser can't fix!

I have one pimple on my chin and I suspect it's due to my upcoming period but honestly, it is recovering fairly fast. I really recommend this cleanser to people with oily and combi skin like me but please use it in a small amount as it does lather quite well (not foamy though) and it can be drying. I think someone with dry skin wouldn't enjoy this cleanser..

I have sensitive skin so if this tea tree cleanser is good for me, it may do well for you too. As for me, I'm the biggest tea tree smell fan (I love smells of essential oils) but if you have a low tolerance for strong minty smell, it may bring some brief discomfort. So, do give it a test in the shop first, maybe the Body Shop SAs in your area would be more helpful and friendly.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by littlestarface

Did what it said it does. Cleared my skin. However, does not happen over night. Best thing about this product if you get a lot and only need a little. I bought mine a year ago and it is still more than half full. You only need a pea sized amount and it lathers very well. I only use mine in the morning then moisturise after it.
I wouldn't recommend this if you have dry or sensitive skin. More suited for those with oily/combination and acne prone skin.
I have combination skin and it does dry my skin out if I don't moisturise, but it has worked on my skin very well so I use it once a day only.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by navita11

About 2 of its ingredients:
Sodium Laureth Sulfate is a cheap detergent and foaming agent ( anionic surfactant) composed of 4 known carcinogens; formaldehyde, dioxane, ethylene oxide and Acetaldehyde. They also dry out the skin and cause irritation. Besides sever skin irritation, other effects that animals that have been exposed to SLS during testing have had are damage to the eyes and nervous system. As well as resulting in depression, difficulty breathing, diarrhoea and even death.

Phenoxyethanol, or ethylene glycol monophenyl ether, is often used in cosmetics to kill bacteria and keep the formula stabilized. It is possible to derive this product from natural sources but is too often not the choice when very cheap synthetic equivalents are available. Phenoxyethanol is toxic to the kidneys and bladder. It may cause problems with the reproductive system and serious damage to the eyes. In several animal studies its toxicity was apparent when, used in moderate doses, caused degeneration to the brain and nervous system as well as testicular atrophy and reproductive damage. Japan and the EU have restricted its uses in cosmetics.

Source:

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2014 2:42:00 PM More reviews by thisbebecky

Bought this to treat my acne breakouts on my forehead and temples. I have oily skin and it is a little drying but didn't do anything to treat the acne. I used this with the tea tree oil toner, and while it does clean my face, it wasn't more effective than any regular gel cleanser not meant to treat acne.