November 22, 2014 | 1967 users online

Shampoo - Giovanni - Smooth as Silk

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by ragtagbobtail

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm going to keep trying this product for one more week, but I'm afraid it's breaking me out. I've had a hypothyroid problem recently, so I'm hoping that's the cause of my acne, but little zits started popping up by my mouth and around my hairline...

Anyways, it smells really nice, and my hair feels like it's really getting rejuvenated after shampooing, but I also think this is weighing my hair down. I have a lot of hair, and it's thick, so maybe this isn't the shampoo for me! Bummer, but I will keep trying. I also bought the 50/50 to try next LOL.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2013 9:06:00 AM More reviews by Selene2013

Love it. It smells so nice

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 2:38:00 AM More reviews by Sweryn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I liked this somewhat. The ingredients were great and so was the smell. I loved the fact that this didn't have silicones or sulfates. The problem is that this shampoo dried out my hair a lot, just like every other shampoo does, and I needed tons of conditioner afterwards. I'm still in search for my HG shampoo, aka, a shampoo that cleanses my hair while being gentle. I just hate the dry sensation most shampoos leave on my hair :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2013 12:01:00 AM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am absolutely in love with several of Giovanni's conditioners (Tea Tree Triple Treat, Direct Leave-In, 50:50, Smooth as Silk) and wanted to try and use a shampoo/conditioner combo from the same line, so I opted to try this shampoo. I've tried the 50:50 one which is perfect for clarifying, but it leaves my hair way too dry for me to use every wash. So, I went for this one. I've only used it once so my opinion may change, but it doesn't leave my hair too silk-like. I already have low hopes for getting through a shampoo without my hair feeling like Brillo Town, so I was really banking on that "silk" factor. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem any better than my sulfate containing Tigi Oatmeal and Honey shampoo (I love that shampoo). I'll give it a few more tries and see what it does for me.

And btw, they've recently changed the formula, and the new formulation no longer has silicones. So at least that was a plus for me. I added a lippie for their smart idea to take such a cheap filler ingredient out of their product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by emodel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loved the smell (orange) and the ingredients (sulfate free, etc). I`ve started loosing hair after every wash quite a bit and knew i had to have a more natural, organic product to switch sometimes. But this didn`t make my hair neither smooth or silk. It made it stick together when wet. I hate that. I needed a ton of conditioner after. And even after towel drying, my hair was still this sticky, ugly mess. It really might be my hair though, it is over processed I know but this suppose to help! (I have a hard time finding organic shampoes that work, Lavera was good but gave me dandruff, another coconut one stopped working after a while, so really so far the best is the EO Rose shampoo.) ... I gave this to my husband and he is ok with it but said it didn`t give him the clean feeling either. Oh well...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 10:07:00 PM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this for a Christmas gift. The first time I used it, I loved it so much. The smell is light and soothing. I also have very sensitive skin, so I really have to watch what I use. This left me with no irritation. I bought a much more expensive shampoo and I truly regret wasting my money. This shampoo is 10x better and I had better results with it over the expensive shampoo.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2012 11:51:00 AM More reviews by toastedlembas

Giovanni 50/50 shampoo was my standby for a while, but I decided to experiment with some cheaper alternatives for a bit. When I made up my mind to go back to the Giovanni, my Target wasn't carrying 50/50. Hoping it would work just as well, I grabbed the Smooth as Silk. I have wavy hair that tends to frizz and be a bit dry, so I figured the moisturizing shampoo would be a better choice than Tea Tree.

I have 2a/2b wavy hair, tending towards 2a these days, much to my dismay. This doesn't perform as well as the 50/50 did for me (old formulation). I like to co-wash between shampoos, and this doesn't seem to get my hair clean enough the first time for co-washing to work well, especially near the scalp. This has made me more chronically reliant on shampoo, which I don't like! To add insult to injury, I don't think it's really doing much for my ends either; I don't think I would say that the issue is that it's too moisturizing. I've been trying to make it through the bottle and switch up my other products before I give up (I'm trying to go super green with my products, so I need to anyway), but nothing is really making this awesome.

It does have protein, so that might be an issue for some people. Keep that in mind and watch out for build-up! I think that is part of my problem with it.

It smells good, consistency is nice, doesn't clean your hair enough or really moisturize it! Definitely a no-go for people who don't want to shampoo all the time. I didn't try the matching conditioner, so I'm not sure if that would magically make this system work. I'm going to check out the new ingredients on 50/50 and probably go back to that, or just try a shampoo without protein or all of the surfectants in this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 10:39:00 PM More reviews by three_black_cats

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Edit 07/18/2013: Now the only version of this shampoo I can find in the store is a "new formula" and I don't like it nearly as much. It is thicker, harder to get out of the bottle, and left my hair feeling kind of "meh" while the original formula left my hair feeling really nice. Oh, well. I'm down grading it from 5 to 3.

Original Review: My stylist recommended this as a great sulfate-free shampoo. I kind of went, "Yeah, yeah..." and forgot about her recommendation. Then I saw it in the store, and thought, "Why not?"

I have not been disappointed. This lathers as well as any shampoo I've used, despite being sulfate free. I focus on washing my scalp, and just let the lather rinse down over the ends of my hair, and have been very pleased with how that works. It has a very nice fragrance, kind of citrus, but not so strong that I smell it much once my hair is dry. It is very gentle on my hair, and does not dry it out. I still use conditioner, but I think that's to be expected. Some people have complained about the packaging. I can't find any reason to complain. The consistency is somewhat thick, but even so, it is fluid enough that a quick shake will allow it to dispense easily once you're half way through the bottle. Once you get down to having only a little left in the bottle it isn't THAT tricky to leave it upside down on the shelf in the shower. Seriously. It will surely topple over in an earthquake or during a hurricane, but it isn't THAT hard to get it to balance upside down. It is a little pricey compared to most of what I was using before, but when I consider how a good this makes my hair feel, and how little I have to use... let's just say the bottle lasts me long enough that it ends up being well within my budget.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2012 8:52:00 PM More reviews by s0phi4beauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This smells great! It makes my hair soft and has an awesome packaging. I expected it to cost more than $8-9 a bottle! I do run out of conditioner easily, though, while my shampoo is not even halfway used yet. Not THE moisturizing shampoo (my hair is very dry and frizzy) but does control it to a decent amount. For people with normal to dry hair this would be a perfect option. In my opinion I need something more moisturizing than this, but it does do a good job!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by sillylilyx3

I'm sorry but I had to write a review not only to tell my experience but to vent so I can go to bed with a clear mind! This shampoo broke me out so badly. I know it was this shampoo because absolutely nothing in my regimen or my healthy diet changed, and the fact that the cheek where my bangs lie is badly affected. Not only did it break me out but these are the most painful zits that I've ever had and that's saying a lot considering I had the most severe acne when I hit puberty. I did read a few reviews warning that this may happen but since I've never personally broken out from a shampoo I gave it a try. It's a total bummer because my acne heals very slowly and the deep ones (which I have now) always leave me with scars, and not the red mark scars, the pitted kind. I'm just so so upset over this. I will still give the shampoo a 3 because it did make my hair look the most amazing than it ever has. I have super thin and fine hair that is flat and lays lifeless. It is also overly processed and bleached. Basically a damaged mess. This shampoo gave it a total makeover in just 2 uses, I couldn't believe it. It looked thicker, healthy, was incredibly soft and smelled so good. Now if this hadn't broken me out beyond belief, I would be flipping over backwards for this shampoo. Acne prone gals, continue with caution.