Giovanni Smooth as Silk

3.8

Not tested on animals

New version: Aqua (purified water), sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) leaf extract, *citrus aurantium dulcis (valencia orange) extract, *citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit extract, *cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, *echinacea purpurea extract, *ginkgo biloba extract, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *macrocystis pyrifera (sea kelp) extract, *mangifera indica (mango) extract, *salix alba (willow bark) extract, xanthan gum, glycol distearate panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), citric acid, polysorbate 20, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance. Older version: Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil*, Valencia Orange (citrus auantium dulcis), Mango (Mangifera Indica)*, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus)*, Ginkgo Biloba*, Echinacea Angustifolia (echinacea Angustifolia)*, Willow Bark (Salix Alba)*, Sea Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)*, Chamomile Flower (Chamomila Recruita)*, Soy textured protein*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, Olive Oil, Diazolidinyl Urea, Octyl 4-Methoxy Cinnamate (Sunscreen), Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Citric Acid (corn), Fragrance with Essential Oils.

Left hair stripped. It sucks. Skip if you want to save your have of its moisture.

Decent vegan shampoo for the price. I won't call it my holy grail shampoo, but it is my holy grail drugstore shampoo. It was recently reformulated and I would give the new formula a 3.5 if I could. It moisturizes without weighing the hair down. It doesn't save hair from color fading as much as I would like. For a fairly low priced shampoo, it does the trick.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm going to keep trying this product for one more week, but I'm afraid it's breaking me out. I've had a hypothyroid problem recently, so I'm hoping that's the cause of my acne, but little zits started popping up by my mouth and around my hairline...

Anyways, it smells really nice, and my hair feels like it's really getting rejuvenated after shampooing, but I also think this is weighing my hair down. I have a lot of hair, and it's thick, so maybe this isn't the shampoo for me! Bummer, but I will keep trying. I also bought the 50/50 to try next LOL.

on 3/3/2013 9:06:00 AM

Love it. It smells so nice

on 1/23/2013 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I liked this somewhat. The ingredients were great and so was the smell. I loved the fact that this didn't have silicones or sulfates. The problem is that this shampoo dried out my hair a lot, just like every other shampoo does, and I needed tons of conditioner afterwards. I'm still in search for my HG shampoo, aka, a shampoo that cleanses my hair while being gentle. I just hate the dry sensation most shampoos leave on my hair :(

on 1/16/2013 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I am absolutely in love with several of Giovanni's conditioners (Tea Tree Triple Treat, Direct Leave-In, 50:50, Smooth as Silk) and wanted to try and use a shampoo/conditioner combo from the same line, so I opted to try this shampoo. I've tried the 50:50 one which is perfect for clarifying, but it leaves my hair way too dry for me to use every wash. So, I went for this one. I've only used it once so my opinion may change, but it doesn't leave my hair too silk-like. I already have low hopes for getting through a shampoo without my hair feeling like Brillo Town, so I was really banking on that "silk" factor. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem any better than my sulfate containing Tigi Oatmeal and Honey shampoo (I love that shampoo). I'll give it a few more tries and see what it does for me.

And btw, they've recently changed the formula, and the new formulation no longer has silicones. So at least that was a plus for me. I added a lippie for their smart idea to take such a cheap filler ingredient out of their product.

on 1/8/2013 12:36:00 AM

I loved the smell (orange) and the ingredients (sulfate free, etc). I`ve started loosing hair after every wash quite a bit and knew i had to have a more natural, organic product to switch sometimes. But this didn`t make my hair neither smooth or silk. It made it stick together when wet. I hate that. I needed a ton of conditioner after. And even after towel drying, my hair was still this sticky, ugly mess. It really might be my hair though, it is over processed I know but this suppose to help! (I have a hard time finding organic shampoes that work, Lavera was good but gave me dandruff, another coconut one stopped working after a while, so really so far the best is the EO Rose shampoo.) ... I gave this to my husband and he is ok with it but said it didn`t give him the clean feeling either. Oh well...

on 1/7/2013 10:07:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I got this for a Christmas gift. The first time I used it, I loved it so much. The smell is light and soothing. I also have very sensitive skin, so I really have to watch what I use. This left me with no irritation. I bought a much more expensive shampoo and I truly regret wasting my money. This shampoo is 10x better and I had better results with it over the expensive shampoo.

on 11/16/2012 11:51:00 AM

Giovanni 50/50 shampoo was my standby for a while, but I decided to experiment with some cheaper alternatives for a bit. When I made up my mind to go back to the Giovanni, my Target wasn't carrying 50/50. Hoping it would work just as well, I grabbed the Smooth as Silk. I have wavy hair that tends to frizz and be a bit dry, so I figured the moisturizing shampoo would be a better choice than Tea Tree.

I have 2a/2b wavy hair, tending towards 2a these days, much to my dismay. This doesn't perform as well as the 50/50 did for me (old formulation). I like to co-wash between shampoos, and this doesn't seem to get my hair clean enough the first time for co-washing to work well, especially near the scalp. This has made me more chronically reliant on shampoo, which I don't like! To add insult to injury, I don't think it's really doing much for my ends either; I don't think I would say that the issue is that it's too moisturizing. I've been trying to make it through the bottle and switch up my other products before I give up (I'm trying to go super green with my products, so I need to anyway), but nothing is really making this awesome.

It does have protein, so that might be an issue for some people. Keep that in mind and watch out for build-up! I think that is part of my problem with it.

It smells good, consistency is nice, doesn't clean your hair enough or really moisturize it! Definitely a no-go for people who don't want to shampoo all the time. I didn't try the matching conditioner, so I'm not sure if that would magically make this system work. I'm going to check out the new ingredients on 50/50 and probably go back to that, or just try a shampoo without protein or all of the surfectants in this.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Edit 07/18/2013: Now the only version of this shampoo I can find in the store is a "new formula" and I don't like it nearly as much. It is thicker, harder to get out of the bottle, and left my hair feeling kind of "meh" while the original formula left my hair feeling really nice. Oh, well. I'm down grading it from 5 to 3.

Original Review: My stylist recommended this as a great sulfate-free shampoo. I kind of went, "Yeah, yeah..." and forgot about her recommendation. Then I saw it in the store, and thought, "Why not?"

I have not been disappointed. This lathers as well as any shampoo I've used, despite being sulfate free. I focus on washing my scalp, and just let the lather rinse down over the ends of my hair, and have been very pleased with how that works. It has a very nice fragrance, kind of citrus, but not so strong that I smell it much once my hair is dry. It is very gentle on my hair, and does not dry it out. I still use conditioner, but I think that's to be expected. Some people have complained about the packaging. I can't find any reason to complain. The consistency is somewhat thick, but even so, it is fluid enough that a quick shake will allow it to dispense easily once you're half way through the bottle. Once you get down to having only a little left in the bottle it isn't THAT tricky to leave it upside down on the shelf in the shower. Seriously. It will surely topple over in an earthquake or during a hurricane, but it isn't THAT hard to get it to balance upside down. It is a little pricey compared to most of what I was using before, but when I consider how a good this makes my hair feel, and how little I have to use... let's just say the bottle lasts me long enough that it ends up being well within my budget.

Popular Shampoos