October 22, 2014 | 900 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Super City Block SPF 40

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2013 More reviews by redorb1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I've never reviewed this because I've been using it for years, and has been my go-to sunscreen. I started with SPF 15, and worked my way up to SPF 40, as they kept adding new versions of this line. It is basically a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. It is lightweight but moisturizing, adds sheer color, can be used on the under-eye area with no irritation, and has antioxidants. However, it used to be chemical sunscreen free. At some point, unbeknownst to me, they started adding chemical sunscreens to this product. This is bad news because I hate chemical sunscreens. I may be forced to find a replacement now - very disappointing.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 1:47:00 AM More reviews by GlamourMom3

I have been using this and repurchasing it for a few of years now. It is a fantastic daily use high SPF sunblock. I have combination skin that is acne prone and this has not caused breakouts. It does not sting or run in my eyes when I sweat so it is great for my active lifestyle. I love that I can put this on in the morning and then I can go anywhere without worrying if my SPF is high enough. I'm always covered.

I find it wears well under both liquid and loose mineral foundation. The only drawback is that it makes me shiny in my T-zone so it requires a mattifying powder to avoid unwanted shine. The tube is expensive but lasts me about eight months with daily use.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2013 3:50:00 AM More reviews by Oohkodachrome

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Been using this product for a while now and I love it.

Pros: It leaves my skin soft, not oily or greasy, does not make me break out, good as a primer too.

Cons: It has a slight tint. If I put too much on it makes me look pale (I am medium skin tone).

I use City Block under Cliniques Almost Powder make up and it works wonderfully. Makes make up application super easy. By the way, they'll tell you in store it doesn't have a tint, but it does.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite sunscreen of all time. I love the fact that it contains physical sunscreen ingredients (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) which is the only sunscreen ingredient that prevents dark spots from appearing on my cheekbones. I'm Asian and even though I religiously wear a hat outside, even 5 minutes of sun exposure causes me to tan and my hyperpigmentation to kick in.

I've read the other reviews and other people seem to think it's greasy but I find the texture perfect. Smooth, not greasy and serves as a good primer underneath my make up. I'm 45 and my niece is 23 and it works for both our skin types.

It's very gentle, doesn't cause me to break out, has no scent that I can detect and a little seems to go a long way.

It's just a great product and truly one that I can't live without.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by Lirong

I use it for years now and it was actually a recomendation from my dermatologist. I think it is a bit smelly and makes my face oily when it is really hot, but it is better than all the other sunscreens I have tried.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/4/2013 4:45:00 AM More reviews by ralphwiggum

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Expensive and sucks. It leaves a greasy film on the face, as well as a noticeable white cast. The greasiness on the face in turn leads to grease getting near your scalp and getting your hair oily. Honestly if you want a sun protectant that has a matte finish try Sun Sense Daily face indivisible tint finish SPF 30 75 grams. Mine you SPF 40 = 2.5% of the suns rays reach your face, and SPF 30 means 3.33% reaches your face. The difference is minor. This one takes a few minutes to dry but once settled it does not leave a white cast or greasy finish. It has a very very very minor soft stickiness but that is not even noticeable. For those who are concerned just apply a loose powder on top. Best of all it costs 12 dollars, that's 25% the price I paid for clinique's city block. I'm kicking myself. EDIT: I just saw the sun sense bottle again and it is SPF 50, not SPF 30. even better.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2013 7:05:00 PM More reviews by Disnep

It's a bit hard to blend plus it is a bit greasy.....I will not buy it

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by Henab

The spf didn't make my skin break out. I found that it was hard to put on my face as it would collect and rub of easily, I didn't try using this under make up because of this.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by Blinkz191

Ehhh... This product is ok. It is a little greasy and it doesnt really work that well under makeup.. Besides that it works well and it has not irritated my skin or broken me out, which is awesome! It is a little pricey.. Around $20 so i dont think i would repurchase this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 4:10:00 AM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have THE worst luck with Clinique products HOWEVER, I simply LOVE their city block sunscreen. I can't stand to put regular body sunscreens on my face which is already super-oily and acne-prone all on its own, and in my search for a good face sunscreen I discovered this one. It has a weird chunky texture coming out of the tube but it's consistency is very light and watery so you can apply many thin layers instead of one gross thick layer. I took this stuff with me on various vacations to hot and humid destinations and upon my return, people said my face didn't tan. And I tan very easily. This means one very important thing: the sunscreen was able to withstand my oily, sweaty skin. My skin also didn't break out from all the layers of sunscreen. Here's what I do: apply a thin layer. Allow to dry. Repeat twice. No thick layers, or it will pill. And apply with a very light touch or it will pill. It has a very slight tint. I like this tint because it is a yellow tint that tones down the perpetual redness of my face. I don't use this everyday, just when I'm going to be outside for more than a half-hour.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No