April 18, 2014 | 1491 users online

Treatments - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

I add a tsp of vit c to a tsp of aloe vera and a drop of vit E ... I then put it on my face about an hour before bedtime and wash off right before I lay down for the night. I've found that if I sleep with it on, it burns certain areas of my face (around the nose and under the eyes) and causes itching, redness and flaking. ouch! I store what's left in an amber colored jar in the fridge as it doesn't last long. If it turns yellow in your container, throw it out and make fresh!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Even with all of the other things I have ever used (and loved) on my skin, this is by far the best.

I use a DIY recipe based off of this one: http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/7596/diy-vit-c-serum-recipes-and-ingredient-sources

But I've changed my own formulation to better handle my skin (rosacea (so no witch hazel), dry). My recipe is as follows:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1 tsp Emu Oil
3 tsp Rosewater with Glycerin (Heritage brand)
1/2 tsp Hyaluronic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp ice cold Vodka

This makes it 15% Vitamin C, which is more powerful than it sounds.

I wouldn't say this melts away any imperfections so much as it seems to burn them away. I tend to sleep curled up in a ball, so I have some premature wrinkles on my neck. When I use my Vitamin C Serum on them, they turn red, get a bit flakey...and then about a week later, are gone. I imagine if I kept using this consistently, they wouldn't come back at all, but I keep attempting to be lazy and find something already put together so I wouldn't have to keep remaking my own every two weeks (which is how long it lasts, since I don't use any extra preservatives in it)...but I seriously haven't found anything that works better. I even prefer the results from using this serum over my experience with Retin-A...little to no flakies, and noticeable results in less time. This can also be used by women who are pregnant, whereas Retin-A cannot. (Now this product isn't the same as Retin-A, but I'm comparing it based on it's collagen boosting qualities and ability to help thicken skin)

An added benefit from using this formula (with ferulic acid) is that it's supposed to help protect your skin from the sun (along with sunscreen, of course, this is NOT a sunscreen replacement!). I can't say one way or another if it really does this, based on my own experience, but it really can't hurt. I would definitely recommend using a Vitamin C Serum to anyone and everyone...if this recipe hurts your skin, try using a lower percentage of Vitamin C and working your way up.

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2013 8:39:00 AM More reviews by Elsita72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hello I am 42 y/o. I have been using the home made serum for 6 weeks, evey single night after cleansing. My recipe is: 1/4 tsp L-ascorbic acid, 4 tsp rose water, and 1 tsp glycerine, or even less glycerine if you don't want to feel sticky (I actually copied this measurements from someone in this MUA forum). I store the mix in a dark colour eyedroper container and change the mix every week. I apply it all over my face, neck chest and hands.(A little goes a long way). My skin has improved a lot! it looks bright, smooth, and yes, the lines look reduced, not gone but reduced. I know this because I have taken some photos and I do look at my self under natural light to check if the serum is working or not. I still do moisturize aftter applying the serum...The veredict? Great. You will feel a tingling and warm sensation in your skin, which will pass. I recommend to use the serum an hour or so before going to bed to allow for absortion before you hit the pillow. (I just read that some people don't like this product, obviously it doensn't work for everybody... make a test in a small area first)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Who doesn't want smoother skin, less pigmentation, and a glow? This sounded pretty appealing to me, so I gave this serum a try after reading quite a bit about the chemistry of it, reading as many reviews as I could find, and finding various recipes to compare against my own formula.

My serum consisted of 1/4 tsp L-ascorbic acid, 4 tsp filtered water, and 1 tsp glycerine. I made it every day and applied it every evening for a few days. I'd apply it after cleansing and before moisturizing, giving it time to soak in and my skin to dry a bit. The first two or three days were fine. I think I might have seen a very slight difference in the texture of my skin in areas where I have larger pores. There was no buring and no other problems. The glycerine, however, felt sticky and oily on my face, even after I reduced the amount to 1/2 tsp.

Then, on day four, I put the serum on my skin and instantly I could feel the most awful burning sensation all around my nose. It didn't happen anywhere else on my face. When I went to look at my face in the mirror it was incredibly dry and stretched across my cheeks. There was no pinkness or flushing. My skin was also very dull and greyish in a way I've never seen before. I washed my face off thoroughly and applied my moisturizer to help my skin recover. In the morning the skin around my nose was very tender, red, and was peeling like a sunburn.

It's now day seven and though I have not used the serum for almost three days, the skin around my nose is still raw, tender, and now it's scabbing up. The rest of my face is perfectly fine. No irritation whatsoever. Strangely, it's just around my nose.

The only consistent result I noticed with this serum is that my skin NEVER glowed. It just looked duller and duller.

Maybe I'm one of the 40% of people that topical vitamin C doesn't work for. Niacinamide makes my skin so much happier, so perhaps I'll stick to store-bought preparations instead of DIY for this kind of thing. And I'm fine with that because there is no beauty treatment worth me or my skin being miserable no matter the short- or long-term outcome.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by hotbeautybitch

Seriously, buying a good Vitamin c product might be expensive, but I will definitely take this charge, because this DIY is ,for me, not worth the afford.
Vitamin c is extremely unstable and fabricate it again so often is really annoying.
Better spend my money on a nicely formulated product, than my own unstable formulation.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 11:33:00 AM More reviews by saramason111

I had a previous one lippie review on here that I just deleted. I don't know why or how, but my skin now responds to Vitamin C whereas before it didn't work. I used it about 6 months ago (1/4 teaspoon with distilled water and glycerin -- one of the many recipes on this website) and it made my dark spots worse. My SPF that I was using at that time (Garnier BB Cream spf 15) was not adequate, so I think that was the culprit. I now use Physician's Formula spf 50 tinted moisturizer and it gives me broad spectrum protection. I've been using the 10% vitamin C recipe (1/4 teaspoon LAA, 3 tsp distilled water, 1 tsp vegetable glycerin) morning and night after I wash my face, and I've noticed firmer, stronger skin (no "crinkling" -- I had been using retinol products and it made my skin really thin and sensitive), much better evened out skin tone, and a brightening of my skin. Although my freckles are still there (but lighter), now in pictures with flash, my face looks even toned and not blotched with freckles. It looks uniform. My face looks more youthful, fresh, and plumped. Although I love the DIY, I now want to explore some higher end stuff to see what the vitamin c can do in higher concentrations.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by Azie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Great idea - leaves my skin so smooth and i reckon i break out less because of it - I make it fresh to use each day, in the am. mix a pinch with distilled water and pat onto cleansed skin and in the pm before bed, same as above I just add a few drops of rose hip or emu oil ;)

Just wanted to Edit this and add that I now add 3 pinches of MSM powder into my serum, and getting great results!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 5:11:00 AM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I make my own concentrated vitamic C serum mask at home and love the results! It makes my skin glowy and soft!

Ingredients:
1. Whole foods vitamin C - I use Madre-C. Although it is expensive, it is natural and good for sensitive skin. L-absorbic acid Vitamin C crystals are too harsh for sensitive skin, in my opinion.

2. Aloe vera juice - I use food grade aloe vera juice from Lily of the Desert. This forms the base to dissolve the vitamin C. You can use distilled water, but I find aloe to be very soothing.

I like to use 2 tbsp vitamin C with 1 tbsp aloe vera juice. Mix it up to a thick creamy consistency. Apply on the face and leave til it is dry. It should take about 10-15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and a soft wash cloth.

I use this mask about 1-2 times a week and make it from scratch every time.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by EMO514

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

okay so I just started using my homemade serum very recently. I gotta say, so far I love it! I only rated it four because I haven't had time to test it in the long run. I use 1/4 tsp of vitamin shoppe ascorbic acid and 4 tsp of spring or tap water (which is pretty good around here), and I use it once daily. I have retin-a that I occasionally use, but I think I'm actually beginning to like the serum better seeing as I'm not molting two days later. I feel like it gives me a nice little glow, and is keeping the small pimples I occasionally get at bay. also seems to be working for the PIH I've had lingering around. I will update in a couple weeks, but hopefully I continue to see positive results!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by 1953helen

I am a retired hair stylist. I worked in a spa my entire 28 years and was spoiled by immediate access to the best of the best in skincare products. I used vita c and vita a products for years with great results. I cannot afford my bad self anymore which inspired me to start doing diy products. I now make a lot of my product and find the vita c mixed with distilled water with a couple of drops of glycerine to be the winner. Simple and effective. I am 60 (just turned) and get accused of being 40 all the time.

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No