November 23, 2014 | 1011 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by bootyfulskin

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

lightened my skin, got rid of my breakouts from. I have a nice glow, only use it at night.
I replaced glycerin with grapeseed oil. Use this link get me credits and get yourself $4 on 450g of vitamin c powder. Note that all forms of ascorbic acid are the same, just because there's no L does it diminish it's vitamin c powder.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

PROS: Lightens skin, helps with pores and even wrinkles a bit. SO inexpensive.

CONS: Can irritate if the percentage is too high for you (I start at 5% and work upward.)

ALTERNATES: NuFountain has one with ferulic acid which is nice but much more expensive.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 11:09:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I started making this because every commercial Vit C product that I tried was so expensive and too moisturizing. I just mix a generous pinch of the L-ascorbic acid (bought thru Amazon.com) with 99% pure aloe vera gel (Vitamin World brand purchased thru Puritans Pride) in my cupped hand until it dissolves and use a dollar store makeup brush to apply. I use mild soap to wash my hands and the brush afterwards b/c it can stain. This is cheap, natural, fresh and very effective for my face! It tightens my pores, dries up zits, lightens dark marks, heals any popped zits (I know, don't judge me) and tames my oiliness. It's strong, so I only use it 2 or 3 times a week before bed. It really Increases my photosensitivity, so daily sunscreen is a must.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by iman84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Dear Ladies, thank you for reviewing so many items here on MakeupAlley..you cant imagine the experience I had just going over what you all had tried bc I only recently begin a skincare regimen amd I wanted to buy good stuff, but it was really confusing. I don't want to try every product out there ..I was going to get caught in the hype of many ads. but reading your reviews made me think for a while.Luckily, I found out about PAULA's Choice reviews and I was STUNNED..most of the advertised creams are pure RUBBISH..I even related reviews of products in her site with reviews of the same products here in Makeup Alley..God they results are so similar like if a product is rated average in PC then 50% of people here would recommend and if it is poor in PC then maybe less than 30% would buy the product again( beautipedia reviews--> brand reiews)
I know some of you do know about PC reviews but for other ladies ..I highly recommend u read ALL REVIEWS
I decided to try and make my own Vit.C serum before I read your reviews I was going to buy Skin Cuetical AOX vit.C but I thought I would try this first..ONE thing : Ladies who are making their VIT.C serum NEVER EVER use vodka or any alcoholic beverage for your skincare recipes, NO FRAGNANCE OILS: rosewater, lavender IT IS EXTREMELY HARMFULL AND IRRITATING FOR YOUR SKIN( read Paula's Choice reviews on alcohol and fragnance in skincare products)

I would try to use vitamin c capsules with rosehip and tell you about it next time...

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Sobria

My skin: Very oily, ice pick scars, large pores, hyperpigmentation here and there

I tried homemade vitamin c serum for about 3 months. It was super good initially. No breakouts and my skin was even toned. After a month or so, I noticed breakouts. I didn't change my skincare regimen except for this addition. I still stuck it out and thought it's probably just my hormones.

Unfortunately, this was the culprit. I started on a low concentration, 5% and made my way to 7.5%. Both concentrations didn't work for me. My face became red and prone to breakouts. I also have whiteheads that popped up from nowhere.

Please be careful for anyone who tries this. It didn't work for me. Sad day :( At least I learned my lesson. Anyone want a jar of vitamin c powder, let me know!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2014 12:40:00 PM More reviews by HealthBeauty10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to spend so much money on skin care products that didn't even work or made my skin break out. I've tried everything from drugstore brands (olay, neutrogena, etc.) to high end brands (Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.), but didn't get the results I wanted. A lot of the companies source their ingredients outside the U.S. (because it's cheap) and use fancy packaging to sell their products. I felt like I was being ripped off. I finally, after tons of research, decided to make my own serums and moisturizes. I've been using l ascorbic acid mixed with filtered water on my face morning and night under my moisturizer for a while and noticed dramatic improvement in my skin. My skin looks brighter, tighter, and more youthful. It's cheaper and it's more effective. I recommend making a fresh batch of serum/toner everyday because Vitamin C oxidizes easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

My vitamin c powder was bought at at Whole Foods. I mix 1 pinch of the powder to 4 parts Glycerine with rose water. I mash the powder in the liquid right in my hand and then pat my whole face and neck in the morning. Then I start my sunscreen and makeup. This is so cheap and highly potent. Sometimes I put a few drops of jojoba oil for my acne prone combo skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by ShalaStar

I LOVE my new DIY Vitamin C Serum! I purchased the vitamin c powder at Whole Foods along with some Glycerine and an amber glass bottle. I made a 10% serum and I keep it in the light safe glass bottle. I prefer not to add the glycerine, I made two batches to see which texture I liked better and the glycerine just felt too sticky. The powder and distilled water feel like nothing on the skin once dry. Benefits! My skin is plumping up, it feels tighter and more bouncy and My acne spots have lightened tremendously. As far as wrinkles, I'm not sure yet. I've one little forehead wrinkle I'm working on now, will update on improvement! This stuff is the bees knees to keeping that plump skin plump. And it's very affordable! I'm thrilled! Good luck!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by sahbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have fair skin, strawberry blonde hair ... & have spent almost all my life in blistering sun. Thanks to my mother's genes, my skin tone is good (hardly any wrinkles around my eyes) but there is no escaping the sun damage on my face - - I have melasma spots, raised blood vessels, blotchiness and generally a ruddy complexion. I was also prone to blushing as a kid and its possible I suffer with mild roscae on my cheeks.

"Conventional" therapy for such extensive sun damage is IPL laser treatment ... tad expensive and, er ... I'm not keen on lasering my face thanks - especially as any positive gains are only temporary.
I investigated other avenues and stumbled across Vit C serums. I find the cosmetics industry is ridiculously over-priced, so I was thrilled to find homemade receipes.

I started with a water/Vit E base mixed with 1tsp Vit C powder ... not so lovely on the skin because the Vit E is such a grainy oil ... so I changed to a water/glycerin base instead. Ooooh ... so much better! My skin responded almost immediately, but then I noticed a tightness and stickiness and I also seemed to be developing minute blackheads.
I limited my usage to every other night, but couldn't stand the tight appearance of my skin, so I stopped the glycerin and just mixed Vit C with water as and when I needed it.

Unfortunately, due to haphazaard work hours, I stopped using the Vit C serum within about 3 weeks. Even in this short time, friends commented on my "fresher" face - altho I have to admit I couldn't see big changes.

From reading I've done, it seems a minimum of about 6 weeks is required to guage any real effects. I've decided to resume use and give it a six month trial, gradually increasing the serum concentration to about 15% - depending on how my skin responds. I'll try to update regularily - especially any effects on my extensive sun damage!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:37:00 AM More reviews by dglosek

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used to use the Turbo C from Philosophy, but felt it was so expensive and kind of a rip-off. So, I bought an 8 oz container of NOW Vitamin C Crystals - 100% pure ascorbic acid, pharmaceutical grade on Amazon for less than $10. I transferred some of it into a small, shallow jar (an old Kiehl's Creme de Corps Souffle deluxe sample jar) . At least 5 mornings per week, I take a large pinch (about 1/8 tsp or so) from the shallow jar, place it into the palm of my hand and add several drops of warm water from my tap. I then mix it in my palm until it's dissolved (this particular brand dissolves very quickly), rub my hands together and then apply to my face. I let it dry and then apply my When Hope Is Not Enough Serum. I need very little makeup these days, and most days I just apply a light concealer under my eyes, add my eye makeup and I'm good to go. I'm age 60, but most people at work think I'm in my late forties at most. One girl was so shocked to hear my real age that she went back to her office and took a survey to see how old everyone thinks I am. Only those who know me a long time and actually know my age guessed right. I believe it's because I've been using the C and WHINE for years---and protecting my face from the sun as much as I can.

Oh - you can also mix the NOW Vitamin C crystals with the WHINE, but I prefer to apply the C first to let it get into my skin before layering the WHINE on top. I think it works better that way.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No