Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap - All Scents

Not tested on animals

on 4/19/2015 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I like to clean my makeup sponges frequently. This liquid soap cleans them better than a liquid detergent.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Holy Grail product for.... everything.
I'm a big ol' hippie who loves to use this for cleaning around the house. Hand dishwashing liquid, making laundry soap, cleaning the counters, the floors, the tubs, literally everything!
In the shower, this has become my all-in-one product. Body wash (doubles as shaving lather with GREAT glide), face wash, no-poo shampoo (dilute it, please!!). I decant some from the big bottle into a small airplane travel bottle and a little goes a long way, so the 3 ounces in there probably last me 3 weeks with all of those uses. I have less products in the shower than my husband does now!
Cleans makeup brushes better than anything I have ever tried.
As others reviewers have said, it may be a bit drying for those with dry skin. I have SUPER dry skin, but I am diluting it so the dryness goes down there, but I moisturize like crazy immediately after getting out of the shower regardless of what soap I am using, so it doesn't bother me.
Currently I use the peppermint scent, but mostly because I can find it at Costco in the HUGE bottles for way less than I buy it at the grocery store, and the price difference is crazy. But they only sell the peppermint scent currently, to my knowledge.
The bottle is covered in crazy cult made up religion talk, but if you can get past the gibberish there is actually useful information somewhere. Listen to the bottle and DILUTE. Read more stuff online on "recipes" to make all the stuff I mentioned, and you won't be disappointed!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I have tried the peppermint, lemon and rose versions, mainly as a body wash.

All in all, I really like them and their versatility. Also great value if you dilute them 3-1. I just wish that amid all the crazy text on the label, they would highlight the directions of use. If I could purchase them easily where I live, I would use them for everything. My boyfriend is hard to please but even he likes them although the rose is too feminine for him and the peppermint too strong in terms of fragrance. He prefers the lemon. I like them all and would love to try the other iterations such as baby.

They are a bit drying and I would not use them on my face and hair except in an emergency. The peppermint does feel quite refreshing and tingly on my scalp though. Also try cleaning your ears with the peppermint - most cooling!

on 7/29/2014 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Castile soap is such a versatile product! I use the peppermint version as a refreshing shower gel in the summer. I use the unscented version to make DIY shampoo, face wash, laundry detergent, and makeup brush cleanser. I really want to try making my own shower gel, too. It can be a bit tough on hair, so you must add some moisturizing ingredient like glycerine or jojoba oil. It is a bit pricey and the dispenser's hole is fairly large since the product is such a thin consistency. However, I like that it's a much more natural product and the packaging is really cute. I always have some of this on hand.

on 7/21/2014 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this to clean my make up brushes. HG.

Update: 05/05/2015. I don't know if they changed the formula recently, but I feel as though this bottle isn't getting my brushes as clean as it should. I now have to go back, and re-wash my brushes, and even then, the lather doesn't remove all of the makeup. My brushes get washed after their second/third use- so they don't build up with product....but for some reason, this just isn't working for me anymore. I use a brush glove to clean, so no, it's not a user error. :(

Update: 05/11/2015. Okay, so I am back on the bandwagon with this soap. I like it again. I wash my brushes a bit differently now, I no longer use a glove- but I use a plastic round container, and lather up my brushes like that, and same with washing the soap out. I use the container, fill it up with water- and rub my brush on the bottom of the container. This works way better, and it doesn't damage my brushes and their shapes. Highly recc this soap, but try to see what method in terms of lathering up the soap works for you. :)

Update: 05/15/2015. So I find that this soap doesn't lather up in water too well. Meaning, I have to use a little water- and soap, to get a good lather. If I use too much water, or the brush is wet; the soap will not lather up. I want to like this brush cleaner so badly, because it's the standard; and it's anti-bacterial. But finding a way to lather it up is difficult. I don't know how people mix this with water, and then use it. I have to use the soap raw; with a little water. That works for me.

Update: 05/23/2015. Go out and buy this. I lather up my brushes using a plastic container, and it works so much better. I use a few drops of soap, and then rub the brush against the bottom to lather it up. Then I wash it the same way using a container filled with a little water. HG product of mine, and I love washing my brushes when I'm using this because I know that they are clean.

Update: 05/30/2015. I took a hot glue gun, and made some dots on the bottom of my container to help lather it up, this works 100 times better. Just be careful not to rub the brushes too hard. I love this soap. *Cue angel singing*.

on 7/7/2014 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

LOVE this product!

My skin is so sensitive, and I'm always reacting to products. Unfortunately, I have no idea what ingredients I react to, so it's always a guessing game. Dr. Bronner's has become my go-to body wash. All of my eczema and redness has cleared up.

I use the almond or the unscented; for some reason, I seem to react to the lavender. I keep an old bottle, and dilute the new stuff with 30% soap, 70% water and it still lathers and cleans beautifully - its lasts for.ever!

Note to other users: diluted with hot water, Dr. Bronners is also excellent as a hardwood floor cleaner or a multi-purpose household cleaner!

on 6/30/2014 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Only been the baby mild liquid using on my face a few days but my acne seems less aggravated and flatter :) A little goes a long way. Don't scrub.

on 6/12/2014 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This review is for the Lavender Liquid Soap. I had the large bottle of this which took forever to use up. Basically I used this as hand soap and sometimes as bodywash. I don't believe in using anything that foams on your face. Super concentrated, a tiny amount is all you need to wash your hands. The lavender scent is amazing. I also feel the lavender has natural antibacterial properties. If you're going to use this as hand soap, I would recommend decanting it into something smaller or buying the mini bottles of Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap. The large bottles can be awkard to use. Otherwise, a great product.

on 6/4/2014 4:14:00 PM

All I can say is I love this stuff. I use the peppermint liquid to wash my face about 3x a week (I rotate with the Nucelle line, but can't afford to use Nucelle everyday at this moment). I read a lot about castile soap for troubled skin so I thought I would try it. I absolutely hate commercial products and drugstore facial products, most of them have ever really done anything for my acne prone skin. I found Dr. Bronner's at Bed Bath and Beyond for just a few bucks and am I ever glad I bought it.

I use it strictly as a face wash and (besides loving the tingling from the peppermint) I don't think my face has ever felt so clean and refreshed. It's soft, supple and my pores have never been clearer. I don't really feel that I need to moisturize after but I use a super light vitamin C moisturizer just because my skin is aging. Keep in mind my skin is sensitive to nothing so I'm not sure if the peppermint would irritate others but it's absolutely fantastic for me.

With summer coming and the air getting hot and humid I think I might try using it as a body wash after walking the dog, I can just imagine how invigorating that is going to feel!

on 5/16/2014 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I bought the Baby MILD Liquid Castile Soap because I was finally excited that I could use something that was envirnomentally friendly and more "natural".

I have been trying to look for the best skin cleanser for my face for the past year and I wanted to stick to a more natural and simple cleanser. Any who, if you have dry/acne/sensitive skin then this might overly dry your skin (just a caution).

In the beginning my face felt fantastic! But over time I noticed my skin started to dry out, was itchy, I developed rashes due to the dry skin and noticed a more dull skin.
I also diluted the soap (1 cup distilled/spring water with 1.5 TBSP Castile Soap) but no success..

I even went to extended lengths by mixing Oils, Glycerine and Vitamin E for added moisturising properties to the cleanser, but still no success.

Maybe this might work for you and maybe it won't, but I will not be using this on my hair, body or face as it seems like its too harsh and drying on the skin. Great as a cleaning product for the house but maybe not the face and body.