Oatmeal Mask

INCI: Water/Aqua, Avena Sativa (Oat) Flour, Mel (Honey), Tocopheryl Acetate

on 12/7/2014 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I always have oatmeal around since I think it's a great, healthy food.

This has some good anti-inflammatory properties.

Acne is an inflammatory disorder, so this can sooth particularly angry blemishes. It can also soothe sensitive/sensitized skin, even that that of broken or itchy skin.

It doesn't work well in drains, so make sure there is something to catch it.

Leaving it on skin produces nice results, but it's not as great as colloidal oatmeal. You have to add honey or egg white to help it stick onto skin.

No, it does not clean skin as thoroughly and as well as a water-soluble cleanser.

It works better as an exfoliator, in my opinion, since I don't have to add too many ingredients to get a good effect.

on 12/7/2014 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oatmeal is the magic ingredient for those suffering from irritated or sensitive skin. It too, has anti-inflammatory properties and can even soothe itchy, inflamed skin. They can also act as a natural cleanser as they have saponins to remove oil and dirt. The oats itself can act as very gentle exfoliators to remove unwanted dead skin cells too.

I use it as a mask:

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

It is as simple as that. Although simple and basic as it is, this humble mask will instantly brighten, whiten and reduce redness on your skin. It soothes any irritation and leaves your skin feeling so smooth after.

Who is it great for :

Those with sensitive, dry or irritated skin. Even for those currently suffering from acne breakouts.

This mask is a very gentle mask that I have been using for about three years now, especially when I was suffering with acne. I found that I could get away with using this mask 5 times a week. Every single time I would have a more even complexion, the redness and inflammation from the pimples would also reduce significantly.

To read on about how yogurt helps your skin and how I customise this mask with honey, tumeric or lemon to catar to my skin's needs : http://claudlyy.blogspot.com/2014/12/how-to-instantly-brighten-whiten-reduce.html

on 11/4/2014 10:18:00 AM

I do this a couple times a week and love it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

A back story on how I discovered this product for beauty: My skin has been FREAKING OUT this past two weeks and has been developing pimples everywhere, especially my forehead! I have been anxious because I know my culprit is hormonal (period) but I didn't know what to do! I have used soaps, moisturizers, ice, you name it; and nothing has helped. I read someone on Google mentioning that oatmeal was great at reducing inflammation and helping skin with acne. I had nothing to lose at this point if I tried it!
What I did was mash up damp oatmeal oats and add a tiny drop of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture. I took the paste and put it all over my clean face in patting motions so that it would stick. I massaged it in and let it dry for about twenty minutes. Then I removed it with water in the sink, and I do not kid you: My pores are smaller, my skin is brighter and tighter, redness gone, and acne scars are dry and peeling off. Oh my goshhh I feel I discovered a treasure!!!!
This is totally my weekly mask regimen and I will sure do it before I have an important event! Love love love!!!
PS: I took a lippie off because of the messy disaster this is to wash off.

on 8/1/2014 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

So many topical (as well as culinary) skin care uses.
Soothing baths for rashes, face masks, body treatments.

Cheap and easy to find.
A "back bar" esthetician's staple.

on 7/6/2014 8:04:00 PM

I've been using this for a month with good results. It does what I expected: cleanse, moisturize and exfoliate (a little). I don't use this to take off makeup. If I'm wearing makeup I use a face wipe first and then rinse.

How I use it: Blend oats in a food processor so that they are powdery but still have some larger pieces. Store in a small container. In the shower or at the sink I wet about 1.5 teaspoons worth of the oat powder in my hand and massage into my face. Rinse immediately or leave on longer if you prefer.

I like how my skin feels clean and moisturized after each use. It feels balanced, not too oily or dry and looks even. On days where I feel like I need extra cleansing power, I add a little bit of CeraVe face wash to the oats.

As others pointed out, it is kind of messy to wash with oats but not impossible to use. I try to wash my face when I'm in the shower instead of at the sink.

>>> I love this stuff and have been using it regularly for the past six months. Cheap, easy, gentle and effective. I bought a tiny flexible silicone bowl which I keep in the shower. I pour oats in that now and add some water, mix, then apply. IMO it has improved my skin tone and texture. continued >>

on 6/18/2014 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I tried using it as a face wash but it's too messy for everyday however as a weekly mask, lovely. I take some organic oats and pulverize them in the blender until they become a fine powder and add some witch hazel or rosewater to make a paste and apply. Let it dry and then rinse. It really does helps reduce redness and lightly moisturize skin, and is perfect for vegans who can no longer use yogurt masks.

on 6/8/2014 6:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ive tried oatmeal on my skin couple of times but i couldnt see much results. And the annoying part is that oats are slways falling when facemask dries. Good for eating but not for facrmask.

on 5/21/2014 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I grinded the oats and stored them in a mason jar. I would pour about 1/2 a palm size full, sprinkle water and use it as a scrub. My forehead has been breaking out in rashes, maybe it's from my shampoo, who knows. This mask/scrub/cleanser, however you plan to use it, has calmed the redness and itchiness. It's readily available, cheap, and effective.

UPDATE: I decided to put this in a vitamix to finely ground it. Basically to where it was a fine powder. When it's mixed with cold water, it becomes a milky paste. I love it! My skin feels calm, cool, and no longer itchy.

on 5/20/2014 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Oatmeal as cleanser sounded like a good idea so I gave it a try for a week. Put a couple of spoons in a muslin pouch and soaked it in warm water. Then massaged my face with it and occasionally left the remaining liquid for a while. My skin is combination but I get breakouts occasionally. Oatmeal didn't prevent any of them but wasn't supposed to in the first place I guess. It felt somewhat calming but my skin is pretty calm anyway in general. No effect in pore size or oiliness. And it was a bit of a trouble to get it ready every time and wash the pouch. I didn't like scrubbing it because it was messy and too mild to exfoliate.

Overall it was a good experiment but my skin would benefit more from other cleansers at the moment. I'll keep it in mind in case I need a soothing cleanser for a while but will keep tossing some in my bath or foot soak.

Popular Masks