August 23, 2014 | 1301 users online

Mascara - Kevyn Aucoin - Curling Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by CallistoLuna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had a hard time choosing which of the KA mascaras to try: so I thought I'd try them both! The first one I bought was the curling mascara. This mascara coats the lashes easily and smoothly leaving them soft, black and glossy. I generally curl mine first and have long fine lashes to start with. Before trying this mascara, I habitually wore Maybelline's Full and Soft or Volume Turbo Express mascara (both in the waterproof formulas) so I was a little hesitant to try something so much more expensive than what I was used to paying (AU$16 Vs AU$49).
So far, I haven't been disappointed with the results. I can sleep with this mascara on and wake up with out any smears or flakes around my eyes (great after long nights out on the town). I'm also a bit excited about the way it comes off easily with water but not tears (impressive for a non waterproof mascara). I can also layer this mascara, so applying a coat later in the day (after work, before drinks touch ups) does not ruin the sleekness of my lashes (most mascaras in my experience don't do this very well). Overall I am very happy with the curling formula, but I also had to try the volumising one to see if it was any better.
I find that the volumising one is harder for me to apply: I tend to smear a little during application on my top eyelids which is really annoying to remove. I'm not sure if this is the mini brush or my technique but I've been applying mascara for over a decade on a daily basis so I'm fairly experienced in this field. The volumising formula also has a slight tendancy to over apply itself to my lashes (even after blotting the wand in tissue) so I have to comb it out. This means that reapplying later in the day could end in disaster (I'm not game to do it if I can't get it right the first time!). It wears (and sleeps!) just as well as the curling formula once it's set, but I can't see any difference in length and thickness on my lashes between the curling and volumising one. Looking at the ingredients list for both of these mascaras, the formulas are virtually identical with the addition of Nylon-6 to the volumising formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2008 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Mahrou

amazing mascara. I have a hard time chosing between the curling or the volume mascara from Kevyn they both are great. covers the lashes without your lashes feeling heavy.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2008 2:05:00 PM More reviews by stvangeles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i am asian and always have problems with mascara smearing, even when waterproof. this is the ONLY mascara that stays put all day. it does not curl or volumize as well as dior show, lancome, etc., but at least doesn't smear. considering that this is the first mascara that has worked that well for me, it is my hg! it washes off easily with warm water, you don't need eye makeup remover.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2008 12:16:00 AM More reviews by SamanthaCB

This mascara barely coats the lashes and it is a tubing mascara so you can not add more after it starts to dry a little. It has curling in the name but it actually undoes the curl a little. It does however add a decent amount of length, and might work as a daytime look mascara for some but it did so little for my lashes that I wouldn't even use it as a daytime mascara. It flakes though which really annoys me. It must just be the brush that is bad b/c I have been using it with the brush I saved from an old YSL Faux Cils and that is really the only way I have gotten it to work. It actually works very very well with the yves brush, but of course this is way too much effort and I have also had to throw out the brush now as it was getting worn down from being washed everyday. My friend has the "Volume" version of this mascara which I just tried and I will definitely be purchasing that one it works much better than "Curling".

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2008 5:55:00 PM More reviews by GlassHandle

I went to the Mecca store for some new eye products and the MA tried this mascara on me.

I wasn't that impressed. My eyelashes were curled first and then mascara was applied. I felt it didn't hold the curl that well considering it is supposed to be a curling mascara. But my eyelashes didn't return to the normal straight either.

I felt that it clumped a bit but they might have been because they were using the tester (with a new wand of course) and it might have been a bit dried out from all the opening and closing of the tube.

It did give a very rich black colour and made my eyes look bigger.

Throughout the day, I noticed black dots falling onto my face, and even in my eye, but credit to the mascara for not irritating my eyes even though it went in there.

At the end of the day, there was no smudging, except for the black dots coming off but they were easily wiped away without leaving any marks.

BUT OMG WASHING IT OFF WAS A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!

I spent 3 times as long and used 3 times as much product to remove the stuff from my eyes. It was so messy because the fibres that have been on your lashes actually come off one by one. It took so many rubs to get all the stuff off my eyes/face.

Because of that I would definitely not purchase the full size version. After a long day the last thing I want to do is spend 15 mins trying to remove my mascara.

P.S. I am a contact lens wearer with short, sparse straight pointing lashes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2007 12:11:00 PM More reviews by syeung2

Product - It took forever to dry, the formula was wet but smooth. I tried for volume using multiple swipes (while still wet) but the wet lashes would stick to each other. Ugh. The slightest bit of moisture made the mascara turn into a watery mess - which I suppose is great for removal (didn't even need soap, just water), but very poor from a wearability standpoint. I flipped my dried lashes with a *damp* finger and got mascara streaks on my finger!

Packaging - Nice long slim red-brown metallic tube, average full brush... but the brush-scraper thing that takes off excess mascara as you pull the wand out seriously needs rework, it's too wide and leaves way too much mascara on the wand. I am not willing to waste time and product by wiping the wand off every time I use this, especially with the $25 price tag.

Overall - Maybe I got a dud, but I am not willing to try another tube because of the wand issue. For the price, I would expect a better overall product. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2007 11:53:00 AM More reviews by misssphinx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I just switched to using this from Blinc's Kiss Me mascara. This has a far easier application and less clumping. Additional coats layer very nicely. I'm happy with this mascara.

(I also picked this up during the Semi Annual Sale. A great buy for $14.99.)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2007 5:28:00 PM More reviews by geranimals

I snagged this beauty up during the Victoria's Secret Semi-Annual sale and got the regularly $25 mascara for $14.99. Let me just say that after years of trying to find a mascara that shows up only on my lashes and doesn't melt to create undereye circles, I have finally found my HG! This mascara is fabulous. It goes on smoothly with no clumps, thickens my lashes nicely, elongates lashes nicely, curls the lashes slightly, and best of all, stays PUT. That's right, gals. After wearing it in 90 degree heat with 70% humidity with a cream eye shadow and oily eyelids, this stuff didn't travel. That's crazy, right? Nope, that is the awesomeness of Kevyn Aucoin. The only thing that made me nervous was that conventional makeup wipes don't take the stuff off, but trial and error taught me that basic water took the mascara off very simply, much like Kiss Me Mascara, it sloughs off almost in tube form. I would definitely repurchase this mascara and I recommend you give it a try, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2007 8:40:00 PM More reviews by JCAUDO

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this mascara! One of the best out there in my opinion! No flaking, smudging, smearing. You could cry a river and it would stay put. Plus the curling and volumizing is wonderful! Kevyn... we miss you!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2006 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Rhonan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this in red-black with great trepidation but I am so fascinated with Kevyn's incredible talent and eye that I decided to trust him. I have aqua blue eyes and very long lashes, not particularly dark. I have always prefered brown black mascaras as black just looks too harsh on me. When I first looked at the color of the mascara, I was puzzled - didn't look reddish to me at all (more purpley), but hey, I'm no master of color. I cleaned the wand carefully on the edge of the tube and went for it. OH MY GOODNESS! I have never gotten so much POP out of my eyes with so little effort and with such a natural look! It's almost sort of creepy - and - I guess - magic! My lashes look no darker, but just a tad bit more defined and my eyes look cat-like in their shape and color. Simply amazing!! I used a little plum colored eyeshadow and some eyeliner along the top lid in Teddy by MAC. I DO notice a bit more curl to my lashes, but nothing super amazing. You need to apply this carefully and you can also build it just a bit, carefully.