New York Color 309B Sheer Red

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Castor Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ozokerite, Candelilla Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Beeswax, Lanolin Oil, PEG-4 Diheptanoate, Petrolatum, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Carnauba Wax, Hydrogenated Microcrystalline Wax, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Tin Oxide, Silica. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 27 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine

on 8/12/2013 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this and one other NYC lipstick because they were only $2.99 and I felt I couldn't go wrong. I enjoyed the Sheer Red for 2 days and then it broke in my purse from the heat. It is summer but I carry other lipsticks and they did not melt and break. I don't love it enough to salvage the broken tip and use a brush. I feel it is my duty to say it's not a good formula, it's not good packaging (it always has sticky residue when you finally pry off the tape with a knife), it has a greasy taste and feel and it does not last more than a few minutes. For the record, the other shade was pretty in the tube (304 Mocha) but hideous on the lips. They looked OK worn together. But really this is not a good product. I've enjoyed other shades of theirs without incident. Especially the Mahogany, but it's now too dark for me. My main complaint is the below average quality. Wait till the decent brands are on sale rather than get one of these unless it's an emergency and for short term use. Even then think twice about throwing away $2.99 on a new shade without having a tester. Or at least never carry it around on a hot day. I have to give this product the lowest possible rating on all counts because there are so many good lipsticks around.

on 7/21/2013 11:13:00 PM

A wearable, elegant shade that can be worn as a sheer stain or as a full-on lip color. It has a moisturizing texture, and is not drying like many matte red lipsticks. I am a medium toned Asian who has tried so many red lipsticks. i wanted to look elegant, classy, sexy, and a bit like those pin-ups-but whenever I tried different red lipsticks (Revlon Really Red, NYC retro red, MAC Russian Red, MAC Lady Danger (a very orangey red), MAC Viva Glam 1 (?, it's a dark red but can't remember the number), it just screamed "I'm wearing a red! I'm trying way too hard!" I thought Revlon Really Red and NYC retro red were actually beautiful shades-but not very flattering on me. If you're scared of going too bright and in your face red-this is an extremely wearable color that does not turn pink, fuchsia (that happens a lot when I try a red lip)-try this. For less than a $1.00, it's easy to try. Packaging sucks and is flimsy-but this is a wearable, red that you can put on lightly (after eating, since it's sheer-it doesn't look like you just made out with someone and gets all over the place as a bright red)-or put on fully and have a beautiful classic lip. It's not as bold as the shades I mentioned earlier, but when I pair it with black liquid liner, lashes or thick mascara, and do my brows (I think it's important to groom your brows when you wear red lipstick-it's a much cleaner, groomed look)-you look sophisticated, elegant, classy, and sexy. My boyfriend loved this shade on me, and he's someone who thinks many reds are too loud. I put my hair up sometimes, wear minimal eye makeup (black, winged liner, or neutral eyeshadow), groom my brow, and I feel very timeless. A great red at a low price-don't expect long wear and great packaging. It's a buck-and a buck well spent. I love it.

on 6/28/2013 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

My favorite everyday red! Very wearable color that does not turn fuchsia on me like most reds. This one reminds me of MAC Tahiti. It is smooth and creamy and very flattering on my pale skin. I stock up on this one in case they discontinue it!! The only drawback is the packaging with this line - the tube does not let you twist the color down far enough so you risk nicking the color when you remove the cap. Just have to be careful! Will always buy this one!

on 4/25/2013 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love this lipstick! It is the perfect wearable everyday red. Its not too bright or too dark, just right. It makes my face look a little more made up and perfected. I have dark hair and fair skin so when I wear this I look a little like snow white :). So glad I found this. And I got it for under a buck at cvs. Great buy!

on 4/5/2013 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This lipstick is actually my first red lipstick purchase, and I absolutely adore the color! It is really pigmented so you only need about one swipe to get a good color payoff. The color is not too bright, it is like the perfect red, especially for those like me who are new to the red lipstick wearing field and it only cost $0.93 at my local walmart. I am definitely stocking up on this color!

on 3/7/2013 12:12:00 AM

This was one of the best bangs for my buck. I can't remember what I spent but it was under $2. The color is just perfect for daytime - not screaming, "I'm wearing red." It feels moisturizing on the lips - it's really pretty and will work for almost anyone at any age because it is not too dark and heavy. I am a medium toned Asian and as someone who is getting older, I appreciate the sheerness/stainability of this lipstick, because the darker colors can be aging. Oh, the packaging is not good, but what do you expect at this price point. Go try it - at this price, you will not be sorry.

on 12/11/2012 12:30:00 AM

I bought this lipstick because I saw a review for it on youtube. I usually don't grab red lipsticks...it's just too hard to find that right shade that has enough blue in it so it won't look orangey and yet sheer enough so that it is practical enough to wear out. This is not that shade for me. It has just too much orange in it. So glad this only cost 94 cents! I have spent much more on lipsticks that were the wrong shade. Lipstick is just that ONE beauty product that can be hard to pin down and feel confident buying. Just when I do find that right shade, that perfect SPANISH ROSE shade (looking at you L'Oreal) they discontinue it.

The lipstick itself is very comfortable and I didn't notice any scent. So I will buy this particular lipstick again, but not this shade. Oh and I don't think it's that sheer either. It's pretty bright. But that's on my lips.

UPDATE: For some reason I think I'm changing my mind on this color. It actually wears really nice and my lips feel moisturized with it too. The color is adjustable depending on how you apply it and its easily buildable. I like to dab it on my lips and then sheer it out with my fingers, it looks more like a stain and more natural that way. It also does something for my overall face coloring. I was too harsh on this little lipstick, it can certainly hold it's own! I think it's a lot more versatile than I first realized and very wearable.

on 11/8/2012 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

.I will admit I tried this a few years ago during my bright red lipstick stage and hated it. I dont think I liked it because it is not a bright in your face red. However over the past year I went on a no lipstick kick and only used Dr pepper lipsmackers as my "lipstick" . I do love red lips so I gave this another go and it is turning into a favorite. I apply it with a lipbrush and blot to a stain, if I want a more natural look. I apply a few layers to build it up (like 4) blotting in between each, if I want a more full on red lip. Sheer red is a pretty red, not in your face, no pink, no fushia. Its not cherry or brown either but maybe a combo of both. Its really a natural darker red. This goes with everything. Full on straight from the tube its a bit dark and creamy so it can bleed so I always use a brush and blot.. Blotting and multiple applications I can get this to last half of the day but it can be drying. ( all lipstick was drying me out thats why I went to lip balm) To touch up during the day I dab (never swipe) the tip the lipstick itself on the center of my lower lip and smush my lips together. This seems to work. Great starter red as many have suggested. Its only 99 cents sometimes as low as 60 cents at rite aid.
Also using this as blush, on skin it goes on a bit brick clolored but blends out to a beautiful natural flush on me.

UPDATE 1/09/2013 This has turned into my go to blush but not really using it as lipstick anymore, getting back into my redder reds plus its way to much hassle with the applying and blotting to get the look I want

UPDATE 3/23/2113 This IS my blush. I have like 5 tubes and when it goes bogo 50% off at Rite aid I always get 2 more. Truly this is the PERFECT natural rosy cream blush for like .50 cents

on 10/11/2012 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

One of the most Universal Red Shades available for just 1 dollar. WOW, just WOW. Can be sheered out or applied to full opacity. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS SHADE.
100% Recommend and will repurchase!!!!

on 10/11/2012 1:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a great "steal" find as a dupe for a "splurge" lipstick from Clinique. Clinique makes a shade called "Angel Red" and its been popular for years. This shade from NYC is about as identical as it gets and is $0.99 compared to $15.00. I also think its a great introduction to red lipstick for anyone who has been a little leery of trying a red lipstick. The color is going to be good for basically anyone and its sheer enough not to scream "I'm wearing red lipstick!". Its also excellent on the cheeks as a cream blush, just make sure your skin isn't too dry/too matte before using it or, mix a teeny drop of your mositurizer with it when you apply. This is an excellent lipstick, great shade and at a reasonable price. I highly recommend and definitely will repurchase!

Popular Lipsticks