April 19, 2014 | 1565 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2012 6:13:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

.I will admit I tried this a few years ago during my bright red lipstick stage and hated it. I dont think I liked it because it is not a bright in your face red. However over the past year I went on a no lipstick kick and only used Dr pepper lipsmackers as my "lipstick" . I do love red lips so I gave this another go and it is turning into a favorite. I apply it with a lipbrush and blot to a stain, if I want a more natural look. I apply a few layers to build it up (like 4) blotting in between each, if I want a more full on red lip. Sheer red is a pretty red, not in your face, no pink, no fushia. Its not cherry or brown either but maybe a combo of both. Its really a natural darker red. This goes with everything. Full on straight from the tube its a bit dark and creamy so it can bleed so I always use a brush and blot.. Blotting and multiple applications I can get this to last half of the day but it can be drying. ( all lipstick was drying me out thats why I went to lip balm) To touch up during the day I dab (never swipe) the tip the lipstick itself on the center of my lower lip and smush my lips together. This seems to work. Great starter red as many have suggested. Its only 99 cents sometimes as low as 60 cents at rite aid.
Also using this as blush, on skin it goes on a bit brick clolored but blends out to a beautiful natural flush on me.

UPDATE 1/09/2013 This has turned into my go to blush but not really using it as lipstick anymore, getting back into my redder reds plus its way to much hassle with the applying and blotting to get the look I want

UPDATE 3/23/2113 This IS my blush. I have like 5 tubes and when it goes bogo 50% off at Rite aid I always get 2 more. Truly this is the PERFECT natural rosy cream blush for like .50 cents

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of the most Universal Red Shades available for just 1 dollar. WOW, just WOW. Can be sheered out or applied to full opacity. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS SHADE.
100% Recommend and will repurchase!!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by jenn8779

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great "steal" find as a dupe for a "splurge" lipstick from Clinique. Clinique makes a shade called "Angel Red" and its been popular for years. This shade from NYC is about as identical as it gets and is $0.99 compared to $15.00. I also think its a great introduction to red lipstick for anyone who has been a little leery of trying a red lipstick. The color is going to be good for basically anyone and its sheer enough not to scream "I'm wearing red lipstick!". Its also excellent on the cheeks as a cream blush, just make sure your skin isn't too dry/too matte before using it or, mix a teeny drop of your mositurizer with it when you apply. This is an excellent lipstick, great shade and at a reasonable price. I highly recommend and definitely will repurchase!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by lcarrie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am absolutely thrilled with this product! Thank you MUA for letting me know about it. This lipstick is a cool-toned red that's a little on the berry side, a little on the brick red side. I like to build it up to make it opaque. The formula is creamy and, like the name implies, moisturizing, which is fantastic for someone like me who has dry skin. With my fair skin and dark hair, I think it looks very flattering, and I think that it would look great on a variety of different skin tones. Some people have complained about the staying power, but if you blot with a tissue and then reapply, it lasts several hours. And of course, things like lip liner and lip brushes can help too. What I love about this product is that it's highly versatile and wearable. It's bold but still completely appropriate for daytime. For 93 cents it's an absolute steal!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by PaintedBlue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Really wanted to break out of my day in and day out nude lippies, with RED...but every red is just SO RED and looked out of place on me.

I did not want to spend a bunch just trying to find something that worked, so went to Wally World and starting browsing the cheapies...picked this up, brought it home and even my hubby (who claims to HATE red lipstick) said it looked really good on me! ♥

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2012 5:10:00 PM More reviews by latoyaoneall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm usually not a fan of red lipsticks, and this one is why I'm not. It goes into my lines on my mouth, it's drying upon application, and the red just doesn't work for me. I won't be repurchasing this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2012 12:13:00 AM More reviews by girlndocs

It's true! I got a wild hair to wear red lipstick for the first time ever (blame the episode of "Marple" set in the '40's) and tried a total of 7 lipsticks before settling on this one. Somehow it's not as outrageous as reds like Retro Red (which is actually a lovely color and finish, just sooo bright it's difficult for me to feel okay about wearing). It still definitely says "red" though.

I have pale skin with slightly yellow undertones and deep henna-red hair that looks auburn in some light, ruby red in others and has distinct winey violet lowlights in yet others. So finding a bold red that I really felt worked was a challenge, but this one does it. It makes my skin look very fair and my eyes look icy blue and the more I wear it the more I like it.

It *is* sheer like the name says, but I don't find that it disappears in the blink of an eye. The main difference between it and the less-sheer reds that I tried seems to be that it leaves less of a stain on my lips after blotting or wiping. It stays on a good couple hours and doesn't chap or dry out my lips.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 12:26:00 PM More reviews by nabila714

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

really cheap!!! only 99 cents! and i got this as part of a BOGO 50% off so i got this for 50 cents. not only is it super cheap its also really good quality. and as the name suggests it is a sheer red. you can def build this up with just another swipe to a full red opacity. the lasting power isn;t that long but its not as short as maybe a lip butter. If you're afraid to go full red lips, then def try this out. i seriously think this is a universally flattering red!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by KatzeMadchen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is THE totally affordable and easily accessible red lipstick to ladies of ALL skin tones who are looking for a less bold/in your face red. The color is a buildable neutral brick red. And if you have quite pigmented lips like I do, the shade can get quite deep yet still look appropriate due to the subdued color tone.

This is a PERFECT lipstick color for me because I'm very fair with cool undertones and love the retro look that a red lip gives but was overpowered in more bright reds like Wet N' Wild Spotlight REd and Red Velvet. Even though those are cool toned, such glowing almost obnoxiously bright colors looked way too stark against my skin, definitely inappropriate anywhere other than dressy nighttime for me. So to those with very pale skin tones like me who think they look a little ridiculous in most reds, TRY THIS! (What do you lose at .99c?)

And I give a 5/5 for the packaging because I'm one of those girls who loves to see the lipstick colors displayed when I'm not using them and are about to sort through them. Other people like the lipstick color hidden, so this is totally a matter of personal preference.

I can't comment on the staying power since I've been wearing this for 5 minutes, but due to its name 'sheer' and 'moisturizing', you probably have to keep your eyes open with this one and be prepared to re-apply maybe every 2 hours.

My searching for a doable tame red lipstick is over! I will surely buy again over and over. ~

(The overall rating is 4/5 simply because I could have done with a slightly more cool toned shade, but this is practically perfect and every skin tone would find this shade more than adequate, if not very flattering)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by etherpowered

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm one of those women that continues to buy red lipsticks and nail polishes even though I have waaaay too many already. I bought this without my usual pangs of guilt because it's a buck.
Who knew the cheapest red lipstick I have ever purchased would be my favorite!
This has blue undertones in darker light and appears more berry colored in the sun. It also has a strong artificial berry scent. No staying power - keep it by your desk because you'll need to reapply it constantly.
A good red for pale dolls - doesn't overpower the face - I've been wearing this with no eye makeup and I've gotten some compliments!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No