July 31, 2014 | 1772 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:16:00 AM More reviews by fluffydiva

There's not much that I need to say regarding this product that hasn't already been said by others with high ratings. This has definitely reduced my oilslick tendencies and works perfectly on brown skin (someone mentioned that before). They sell it at my local dollar store and it's the actual Phillip's brand, not some knockoff so purchasing it is a no brainer.

My only recommendations are to 1)never assume that you don't have enough on. So put a thin layer on and let it dry before you determine if you need more AND 2) let it dry in a room with a ceiling fan during the summer or your face will have a sticky feel---particularly if you wear a liquid and not a powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 12:40:00 AM More reviews by hoku

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 5
Price: 1 (Super cheap!)
Packaging: 1 (not very nice looking...)
Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------
This is my 3rd time trying MoM as a primer. The first 2 times didn't really work out, probably because I was using it incorrectly, but after reading more reviews and how other people use it, it's an absolute life saver for me!

I have oily skin especially in the summer. It's also sensitive and acne-prone, so I have to be really careful about what goes on my face. I've tried using a couple of primers (Urban Decay De-Slick, Smashbox, Laura Mercier, Benefit... the list goes on) and none of them really delivered for me, plus felt like an extra "layer" on my face. If anything, they just made me more oily in a faster amount of time.

Enter M.o.M.: I shake it up, and use the amount that's left in the lid to massage into my face. I just use my fingers to rub it in like a light lotion. I let it absorb for a few minutes.It helps reduce my oilies so that my foundation lasts longer - much better than the ones you can buy.

This may not work for everyone, but for me it works pretty well!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 2:02:00 AM More reviews by Mssbella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Grey

I use it as my primer in the summer, or if I know I am going somewhere that will be HOT like a club/bar.
This stiff works on my combination to oily skin!!!!
ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IN SUMMER under powder that keeps me free of being an oil slick.

PLUS, this stuff is CHEAP you dont have to buy the name brand, you can buy it at the Dollar Store OR a generic brand at your drug store.

Im actually glad this stuff is not marketed to be a makeup primer too, because then it would be for sure more expensive. I use this on my face and Lore'l on my eyelids. The Lore'l is expensive, but works as well.

My only warning is to put on a little at a time and let it dry, because it leaves a white chalky film, which can mix with your foundation and make it lighter.

OTHER THAN THAT ITS AMAZING :))

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Recently, I was searching the Makeup Alley website for a good primer. I have tried a couple of different ones, but they did not really have the oil control I was looking for. I just started wearing primer a few months ago. I had heard that primer was helpful for keeping makeup on longer. Before I started using primer, I would get about 4-5 hours of decent wear from my foundation before redness and shine started coming through. My entire face is very oily, but especially on my nose and the areas around my nose. It was frustrating to say the least. Even after I started using a primer, I was still getting only about 6 hours of decent wear. So I started hunting for something else to try. So when I stumbled across all the positive reviews for Milk of Magnesia as a primer, I was surprised and more than a little skeptical. To be honest, the idea of putting a laxative on my face was crazy to me. But after reading so many positive reviews, and watching several YouTube videos raving about this as a primer, I decided to give it a try. But I still had some reservations. I was concerned about whether it was safe to apply this to my skin, whether it would irritate my incredibly sensitive skin, and most of all, would it work? At first, I did not even want to consider trying it. I honestly did not think it would work for me. When I say my face is greasy, I mean fry an egg greasy. I only rarely get acne, but my skin is extremely sensitive. I have had allergic reactions to things like moisturizer, foundation, powder, facial cleansers, and makeup remover wipes. So I really have to be careful about what I put on my face. But then I realized it was worth a shot. If it did not work, then I would only be out less than $5.

I honestly did not think this would work for me, but incredibly, it does. In fact, it works great. It does not irritate my skin and it keeps my foundation in place all day. Yesterday, I applied my makeup around 8 a.m. It still looked great when I was getting ready for bed at 11 p.m. It hadn’t budged at all. That truly is a first for me.

I also watched a few videos on YouTube about how to apply the MOM to my face. I used the method that made the most sense to me. Here is the method I used.

First, I used my facial scrub in the shower. After I was sure my face was dry, I applied my moisturizer and allowed it to absorb completely. Then I poured a small amount of MOM into the flat, white, cap that comes on the bottle itself (NOT the clear dosage cup) Then I dipped my finger into the MOM and dotted it on my face and rubbed it in. The MOM dries really fast, so I would recommend applying it one section at a time. You only need a tiny amount to get the job done. As I said earlier, this keeps my makeup on my face until I take it off. I no longer have the redness and oil coming through and breaking down my makeup. I am definitely going to repurchase and continue using this a s aprimer. I've found nothing that works as well.

I came across a lot of references on the web about Milk of Magnesia being a strong base and being harmful to your skin after long-term use. Here is what I discovered after doing a lot of research. Magnesium Hydroxide (the main ingredient in Milk of Magnesia) is not a strong base. It is a WEAK base. All strong bases are extremely toxic and corrosive. They are extremely harmful if taken internally. But MOM is made to be taken internally. You would never be able to swallow it if it contained a strong base.

Another thing that helped put my fears to rest was a YouTube video by a professional makeup artist named Wayne Goss. He made a short video about how to tame oily skin. One of his recommendations was Milk of Magnesia. In this video, he said that he has used MOM on his own skin and on brides with very oily skin for over 10 years. He said that he has never had any complaints or heard anything about it causing skin irritation. I fully intend to keep using the MOM as a primer. I am extremely happy with the results and you cannnot beat the price.

EDIT: For a long time, my experience with using this as a primer was very hit and miss. Somedays it would keep my makeup on my face all day, other days, my make would completely disappear in 4-5 hours. I couldn't figure out why there was a difference. I didn't think I was doing anything different. But I think I finally figured out why. There are two things you need to work for this to work well as a primer. First, you need to make sure that you shake the MOM very well before using it. Then, you need to apply enough so that once it dries, your face looks white. I know that sounds strange, but your foundation will completely cover the white and you won't even notice it once your foundation is applied. Also, you need to make sure the MOM is completely dry before applying foundation. If you don't, it won't work nearly as well. If you follow these steps,this stuff works great. I use this with the Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream for oily/combination skin and it keeps it on all day. I will definitely repurchase and continue to use this. I haven't found another primer that works as well as this one.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Tashsparkles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WHY has no one told me about MOM before???

I cleansed with my Mary Kay Timewise.
Applied the day cream.
Applied moisturizer.
Applied a thin coat of MOM and massaged it in.
SKIPPED primer.
Applied NC42 studio fix and Bobbi Brown concealer.

I then went on a 45min walk in humid 80 degree weather. Then helped my son ride his bike.

When I went inside to use the bathroom, I expected to see an oil slick face. Nope! My face was matte with a little shine on the very tip of my nose. Excuse me???? My face has never looked like that before.

I'm a user for life now.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 5:15:00 AM More reviews by Skincaremaven

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have super, super oily skin in the summer. It's bad. It's REALLLLLLLLY bad.

I've found that MOM is my favorite oil-control primer to keep my oily skin at bay in the summertime. Be sure you're buying the unflavored version- and I have found that the generic unflavored MOM works as well as the brand name so far.

TIP: I do Not use the product full strength. I fill an empty squeeze bottle with 1/2 MOM and 1/2 Aloe Vera Gel (get one without added fragrance or artificial color). If you don't have aloe vera gel, then water will do. Shake vigorously. Shake before every application, and less is DEFINITELY more. It's hard to apply because it's so thin, so i often use a clean, damp makeup sponge. You just want a very thin layer! I only apply this to my t-zone where the skin is oily after cleansing my face. Be sure to wait for it to dry completely before applying makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 3:21:00 AM More reviews by JustMeas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

When I saw a chain grocery store's generic version of MOM at my local 99cent store, that was my chance to finally try it. If this didn't work for me, someone in the household could use it for it's intended purpose before it expires next year. Or I'm out a buck.

Verdict: Noone had better touch the newest addition to my woman caveroom.

I shake the bottle,apply product with cotton ball, paint t-zone after moisturizer and before makeup and it does hold back the oilies pretty well. The *BEST* thing, I've had to research because I've seen no mention of this before: something in this product is really good for my skin. A very old, very small scar is softer in appearance and moving closer to a normal look than I've ever seen - and believe me, when it was new, many-many-many years ago, I tried everything.

My unscientific musing: The skin, especially facial skin, is in a constant state of repairing its physical integrity after we scrub it, retin-a it, buff and pummel it with all types of brushes and beads and fangles flowing from pretty jars and - well you get my meaning...
My very basic search of research material on healing skin is that topical mag hydroxide (MOM) concluded better cosmetic outcome with the use of this agent. (Google is our friend:)

While I do prefer Monistat antichafing gel as my everyday primer for the smooth finish, I'm still putting this on the scar and tracking the change: If its good enough for the researchers on pubmed, its good enough for me and what the heck, it cost a dollar.

And for those too shy to ask, no, I have noticed no translation in absorption of this product on my face... to lower bodily regions:)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by almost

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Milk of Magnesia is not safe for off-label use on your face. Sodium hypochlorite (aka bleach) decomposes over time, releasing chlorine, oxygen and sodium hydroxide. This happens very slowly, but I would not recommend MOM for long term use to avoid sustained exposure to bleach fumes. With consistent use, this stuff can't be good for you.

10 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2013 5:14:00 AM More reviews by nadiame

This sucked! I was stoked just to try it because of like good reviews. I have combination skin, so oily on my t-zone and dry around my cheeks. So, when I use it on my face around my cheeks it emphasizes the dry patches, also around my nose and forehead where it gets oily it emphasizes my pores and acne areas. But, only pro about this product was I got for 0.99 but I am extremely disappointed that it didn't work out for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2012 7:54:00 AM More reviews by kinta80s

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

After seeing the raves, I bought this right away yesterday from a local pharmacy and costs me 10 (I live in Finland, so medicines are pricier here).

I normally go on days with oil-slick face. Found a cure to tame it down some months ago with Clarins beauty flash balm that my MUA recommended to me on my wedding day. It took the grease off the skin for around 4h.

Today I've had light pat of MoM since early morning. Now it's 3PM here, and I still haven't noticed any slight hint of oiliness and my face feels matte and fresh. I was afraid that MoM would take away the rest of natural oil of my skin and makes my face looks dull, but this just looks as if I was wearing quite unnoticed translucent powder. With amazing staying power.

Would definitely put MoM under eyelid primer next time I'm using eyeshadows as well (even urban decay naked creases on me due to my oiliness after 30mins of application)