November 25, 2014 | 1713 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia as Primer

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by 33Lisa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not available in Australia, I bought through eBay from the US. I've tried it a couple of times now but find it too much of a hassle to bother with trying to get it on evenly over my oily areas (too many white streaks!) before putting makeup on. I prefer a minimalistic routine in the mornings. It does leave a nice smooth canvas for makeup application once you get it right though. It's now in my swap list if you're in Australia and want to try it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by FearlessBarb

Thanks you guys! I would never have known about this bizarre miracle for my face in the laxative section. My skin has gone from very oily to extremely oily and no matter what foundation I use it slips right off. That is until I came upon this very odd and somewhat unbelievable remedy. Finally I don't have to "wipe up" constantly. I use a cheap and not very good foundation brush from ecco tools that I recently bought, just shake the bottle and apply a thin layer. I hardly have to blot or wipe at all anymore. The finish is smooth and tight and comfortable with no smell. Don't wait, try it. If you have oily skin, you'll love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by MakeupLover411

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

All I can say is, why didn't I find this sooner?! I bought the Phillips brand in Original since I'm using it on my face, but if you're using it for a different purpose, then feel free to use whatever flavor you want =) I got the 12 ounce bottle at Target for around $4 so the price is excellent! And a little goes a long way. I usually pour it in a small bottle that I got from Target and keep it in my makeup bag.. I use it as a primer for my face so I shake the bottle before placing it onto my face and apply it with my fingers. It really controls the oil! My face is suuper oily and gross so by the end of the day my face is basically soaked in oil! And it works GREAT in the summer! Milk of Magnesia does wonders for those with oily skin! So if you have normal to dry skin, I HIGHLY wouldn't reccomend it because it'll just dry out your skin even more.. I give this product 5 lippies =))

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

Holy hellsacks this is like all of my oily skin prayers have been answered. Lemme tell ya, I've tried countless primers, oil-control lotions, mattifying powders, etc to try to keep my face matte throughout the day. No matter what I'd use, my face would be shiny in roughly four hours, give or take. Well, I popped onto MUA the other night and was browsing the main page and saw their little twitter feed, clicked on a few links and came to reviews for this. Read the reviews and thought I'd try it out, because I could either spend four bucks on something that may or may not work, or shell out big money for a high-end matte foundation that probably won't live up to it's claims anyway.
-----
I got this from Walmart for under four dollars (I think it was like $3.98 or something very close to that, before tax). Wash my face, apply my SPF moisturizer (and let it sink in), shake up the bottle of MoM, and use whatever is left on the underside of the white cap to rub into my face. It mattifies the skin instantly, and I don't have issues with a white film or powder being left over (you really don't need to use much of this at all, the tiniest amount will work wonders). Put my makeup on, and bam, 14 hours after applying my foundation and setting it with a translucent powder, my face is still shine-free. I'm not kidding, there's no oil peeking through at all except for very, VERY minimal oil on the tip of my nose (and even that is hardly existent, not even enough to call for a blotting tissue). I'm amazed.
-----
I should add that there's not much of a smell at all, I only got a very slight whiff of something when burying my nose into the bottle, but otherwise no smell when I'm applying it or afterward. I wish they made ultra tiny bottles of this because the regular size will last AGES seeing as you need so little of the product.

Who would have thought that a laxative was the secret to all-day shine-free skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:16:00 AM More reviews by fluffydiva

There's not much that I need to say regarding this product that hasn't already been said by others with high ratings. This has definitely reduced my oilslick tendencies and works perfectly on brown skin (someone mentioned that before). They sell it at my local dollar store and it's the actual Phillip's brand, not some knockoff so purchasing it is a no brainer.

My only recommendations are to 1)never assume that you don't have enough on. So put a thin layer on and let it dry before you determine if you need more AND 2) let it dry in a room with a ceiling fan during the summer or your face will have a sticky feel---particularly if you wear a liquid and not a powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 12:40:00 AM More reviews by hoku

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 5
Price: 1 (Super cheap!)
Packaging: 1 (not very nice looking...)
Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------
This is my 3rd time trying MoM as a primer. The first 2 times didn't really work out, probably because I was using it incorrectly, but after reading more reviews and how other people use it, it's an absolute life saver for me!

I have oily skin especially in the summer. It's also sensitive and acne-prone, so I have to be really careful about what goes on my face. I've tried using a couple of primers (Urban Decay De-Slick, Smashbox, Laura Mercier, Benefit... the list goes on) and none of them really delivered for me, plus felt like an extra "layer" on my face. If anything, they just made me more oily in a faster amount of time.

Enter M.o.M.: I shake it up, and use the amount that's left in the lid to massage into my face. I just use my fingers to rub it in like a light lotion. I let it absorb for a few minutes.It helps reduce my oilies so that my foundation lasts longer - much better than the ones you can buy.

This may not work for everyone, but for me it works pretty well!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 2:02:00 AM More reviews by Mssbella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Grey

I use it as my primer in the summer, or if I know I am going somewhere that will be HOT like a club/bar.
This stiff works on my combination to oily skin!!!!
ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IN SUMMER under powder that keeps me free of being an oil slick.

PLUS, this stuff is CHEAP you dont have to buy the name brand, you can buy it at the Dollar Store OR a generic brand at your drug store.

Im actually glad this stuff is not marketed to be a makeup primer too, because then it would be for sure more expensive. I use this on my face and Lore'l on my eyelids. The Lore'l is expensive, but works as well.

My only warning is to put on a little at a time and let it dry, because it leaves a white chalky film, which can mix with your foundation and make it lighter.

OTHER THAN THAT ITS AMAZING :))

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Recently, I was searching the Makeup Alley website for a good primer. I have tried a couple of different ones, but they did not really have the oil control I was looking for. I just started wearing primer a few months ago. I had heard that primer was helpful for keeping makeup on longer. Before I started using primer, I would get about 4-5 hours of decent wear from my foundation before redness and shine started coming through. My entire face is very oily, but especially on my nose and the areas around my nose. It was frustrating to say the least. Even after I started using a primer, I was still getting only about 6 hours of decent wear. So I started hunting for something else to try. So when I stumbled across all the positive reviews for Milk of Magnesia as a primer, I was surprised and more than a little skeptical. To be honest, the idea of putting a laxative on my face was crazy to me. But after reading so many positive reviews, and watching several YouTube videos raving about this as a primer, I decided to give it a try. But I still had some reservations. I was concerned about whether it was safe to apply this to my skin, whether it would irritate my incredibly sensitive skin, and most of all, would it work? At first, I did not even want to consider trying it. I honestly did not think it would work for me. When I say my face is greasy, I mean fry an egg greasy. I only rarely get acne, but my skin is extremely sensitive. I have had allergic reactions to things like moisturizer, foundation, powder, facial cleansers, and makeup remover wipes. So I really have to be careful about what I put on my face. But then I realized it was worth a shot. If it did not work, then I would only be out less than $5.

I honestly did not think this would work for me, but incredibly, it does. In fact, it works great. It does not irritate my skin and it keeps my foundation in place all day. Yesterday, I applied my makeup around 8 a.m. It still looked great when I was getting ready for bed at 11 p.m. It hadn’t budged at all. That truly is a first for me.

I also watched a few videos on YouTube about how to apply the MOM to my face. I used the method that made the most sense to me. Here is the method I used.

First, I used my facial scrub in the shower. After I was sure my face was dry, I applied my moisturizer and allowed it to absorb completely. Then I poured a small amount of MOM into the flat, white, cap that comes on the bottle itself (NOT the clear dosage cup) Then I dipped my finger into the MOM and dotted it on my face and rubbed it in. The MOM dries really fast, so I would recommend applying it one section at a time. You only need a tiny amount to get the job done. As I said earlier, this keeps my makeup on my face until I take it off. I no longer have the redness and oil coming through and breaking down my makeup. I am definitely going to repurchase and continue using this a s aprimer. I've found nothing that works as well.

I came across a lot of references on the web about Milk of Magnesia being a strong base and being harmful to your skin after long-term use. Here is what I discovered after doing a lot of research. Magnesium Hydroxide (the main ingredient in Milk of Magnesia) is not a strong base. It is a WEAK base. All strong bases are extremely toxic and corrosive. They are extremely harmful if taken internally. But MOM is made to be taken internally. You would never be able to swallow it if it contained a strong base.

Another thing that helped put my fears to rest was a YouTube video by a professional makeup artist named Wayne Goss. He made a short video about how to tame oily skin. One of his recommendations was Milk of Magnesia. In this video, he said that he has used MOM on his own skin and on brides with very oily skin for over 10 years. He said that he has never had any complaints or heard anything about it causing skin irritation. I fully intend to keep using the MOM as a primer. I am extremely happy with the results and you cannnot beat the price.

EDIT: For a long time, my experience with using this as a primer was very hit and miss. Somedays it would keep my makeup on my face all day, other days, my make would completely disappear in 4-5 hours. I couldn't figure out why there was a difference. I didn't think I was doing anything different. But I think I finally figured out why. There are two things you need to work for this to work well as a primer. First, you need to make sure that you shake the MOM very well before using it. Then, you need to apply enough so that once it dries, your face looks white. I know that sounds strange, but your foundation will completely cover the white and you won't even notice it once your foundation is applied. Also, you need to make sure the MOM is completely dry before applying foundation. If you don't, it won't work nearly as well. If you follow these steps,this stuff works great. I use this with the Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream for oily/combination skin and it keeps it on all day. I will definitely repurchase and continue to use this. I haven't found another primer that works as well as this one.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Tashsparkles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WHY has no one told me about MOM before???

I cleansed with my Mary Kay Timewise.
Applied the day cream.
Applied moisturizer.
Applied a thin coat of MOM and massaged it in.
SKIPPED primer.
Applied NC42 studio fix and Bobbi Brown concealer.

I then went on a 45min walk in humid 80 degree weather. Then helped my son ride his bike.

When I went inside to use the bathroom, I expected to see an oil slick face. Nope! My face was matte with a little shine on the very tip of my nose. Excuse me???? My face has never looked like that before.

I'm a user for life now.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 5:15:00 AM More reviews by Skincaremaven

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have super, super oily skin in the summer. It's bad. It's REALLLLLLLLY bad.

I've found that MOM is my favorite oil-control primer to keep my oily skin at bay in the summertime. Be sure you're buying the unflavored version- and I have found that the generic unflavored MOM works as well as the brand name so far.

TIP: I do Not use the product full strength. I fill an empty squeeze bottle with 1/2 MOM and 1/2 Aloe Vera Gel (get one without added fragrance or artificial color). If you don't have aloe vera gel, then water will do. Shake vigorously. Shake before every application, and less is DEFINITELY more. It's hard to apply because it's so thin, so i often use a clean, damp makeup sponge. You just want a very thin layer! I only apply this to my t-zone where the skin is oily after cleansing my face. Be sure to wait for it to dry completely before applying makeup.