Milk of Magnesia as Primer

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/14/2013 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After reading the reviews on MUA and watching some on YouTube, I was excited to go and purchase some Milk of Magnesia to help with my oily skin. So, I've used this for about 3 weeks and I think that's enough time to be able to have an opinion of it. Well, it's not a good opinion. I've applied this on my face and let dry. At first, yes, it does leave your skin looking more mattified than it did before you applied, but in a matter of a half hour or so, you might as well have used a very hydrating moisturizer. My face feels as oily as it would without a mattifier. Maybe it's just that I have very oily skin...I'm not sure. All I know is that this didn't live up to the hype for me. Makes me sad too because I was able to purchase it for a dollar and had it worked, I would have had a mattifier that lasts forever, for a dollar. Too bad. :(

on 7/19/2013 1:30:00 PM

Had high hopes for this, but was very disappointed. Did nothing for my oily skin. Sure it dried it out temporarily, but within an hour or two my t-zone was just as shiny and oily as ever. :(

on 7/13/2013 4:40:00 PM

It's over 80° F and humid; but after only applying a small amount of MOM on just my nose this morning, I'm still not oily! Hooray it really works!!! (Just a tiny wee bit of shine, but I didn't even feel like I needed to powder my nose!) I used the MOM on just my nose.... then Maybelline Instant Age Rewind foundation on my whole face.
What a nice little trick :)
(If I was planning to spend a whole day outdoors in hot & humid weather, I might apply this to more of my face)

on 7/12/2013 11:17:00 PM

Not available in Australia, I bought through eBay from the US. I've tried it a couple of times now but find it too much of a hassle to bother with trying to get it on evenly over my oily areas (too many white streaks!) before putting makeup on. I prefer a minimalistic routine in the mornings. It does leave a nice smooth canvas for makeup application once you get it right though. It's now in my swap list if you're in Australia and want to try it out.

on 7/12/2013 2:24:00 AM

Thanks you guys! I would never have known about this bizarre miracle for my face in the laxative section. My skin has gone from very oily to extremely oily and no matter what foundation I use it slips right off. That is until I came upon this very odd and somewhat unbelievable remedy. Finally I don't have to "wipe up" constantly. I use a cheap and not very good foundation brush from ecco tools that I recently bought, just shake the bottle and apply a thin layer. I hardly have to blot or wipe at all anymore. The finish is smooth and tight and comfortable with no smell. Don't wait, try it. If you have oily skin, you'll love it.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

All I can say is, why didn't I find this sooner?! I bought the Phillips brand in Original since I'm using it on my face, but if you're using it for a different purpose, then feel free to use whatever flavor you want =) I got the 12 ounce bottle at Target for around $4 so the price is excellent! And a little goes a long way. I usually pour it in a small bottle that I got from Target and keep it in my makeup bag.. I use it as a primer for my face so I shake the bottle before placing it onto my face and apply it with my fingers. It really controls the oil! My face is suuper oily and gross so by the end of the day my face is basically soaked in oil! And it works GREAT in the summer! Milk of Magnesia does wonders for those with oily skin! So if you have normal to dry skin, I HIGHLY wouldn't reccomend it because it'll just dry out your skin even more.. I give this product 5 lippies =))

on 7/1/2013 11:44:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Holy hellsacks this is like all of my oily skin prayers have been answered. Lemme tell ya, I've tried countless primers, oil-control lotions, mattifying powders, etc to try to keep my face matte throughout the day. No matter what I'd use, my face would be shiny in roughly four hours, give or take. Well, I popped onto MUA the other night and was browsing the main page and saw their little twitter feed, clicked on a few links and came to reviews for this. Read the reviews and thought I'd try it out, because I could either spend four bucks on something that may or may not work, or shell out big money for a high-end matte foundation that probably won't live up to it's claims anyway.
-----
I got this from Walmart for under four dollars (I think it was like $3.98 or something very close to that, before tax). Wash my face, apply my SPF moisturizer (and let it sink in), shake up the bottle of MoM, and use whatever is left on the underside of the white cap to rub into my face. It mattifies the skin instantly, and I don't have issues with a white film or powder being left over (you really don't need to use much of this at all, the tiniest amount will work wonders). Put my makeup on, and bam, 14 hours after applying my foundation and setting it with a translucent powder, my face is still shine-free. I'm not kidding, there's no oil peeking through at all except for very, VERY minimal oil on the tip of my nose (and even that is hardly existent, not even enough to call for a blotting tissue). I'm amazed.
-----
I should add that there's not much of a smell at all, I only got a very slight whiff of something when burying my nose into the bottle, but otherwise no smell when I'm applying it or afterward. I wish they made ultra tiny bottles of this because the regular size will last AGES seeing as you need so little of the product.

Who would have thought that a laxative was the secret to all-day shine-free skin.

on 6/28/2013 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

There's not much that I need to say regarding this product that hasn't already been said by others with high ratings. This has definitely reduced my oilslick tendencies and works perfectly on brown skin (someone mentioned that before). They sell it at my local dollar store and it's the actual Phillip's brand, not some knockoff so purchasing it is a no brainer.

My only recommendations are to 1)never assume that you don't have enough on. So put a thin layer on and let it dry before you determine if you need more AND 2) let it dry in a room with a ceiling fan during the summer or your face will have a sticky feel---particularly if you wear a liquid and not a powder.

on 6/28/2013 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 5
Price: 1 (Super cheap!)
Packaging: 1 (not very nice looking...)
Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------
This is my 3rd time trying MoM as a primer. The first 2 times didn't really work out, probably because I was using it incorrectly, but after reading more reviews and how other people use it, it's an absolute life saver for me!

I have oily skin especially in the summer. It's also sensitive and acne-prone, so I have to be really careful about what goes on my face. I've tried using a couple of primers (Urban Decay De-Slick, Smashbox, Laura Mercier, Benefit... the list goes on) and none of them really delivered for me, plus felt like an extra "layer" on my face. If anything, they just made me more oily in a faster amount of time.

Enter M.o.M.: I shake it up, and use the amount that's left in the lid to massage into my face. I just use my fingers to rub it in like a light lotion. I let it absorb for a few minutes.It helps reduce my oilies so that my foundation lasts longer - much better than the ones you can buy.

This may not work for everyone, but for me it works pretty well!

on 6/23/2013 2:02:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I use it as my primer in the summer, or if I know I am going somewhere that will be HOT like a club/bar.
This stiff works on my combination to oily skin!!!!
ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IN SUMMER under powder that keeps me free of being an oil slick.

PLUS, this stuff is CHEAP you dont have to buy the name brand, you can buy it at the Dollar Store OR a generic brand at your drug store.

Im actually glad this stuff is not marketed to be a makeup primer too, because then it would be for sure more expensive. I use this on my face and Lore'l on my eyelids. The Lore'l is expensive, but works as well.

My only warning is to put on a little at a time and let it dry, because it leaves a white chalky film, which can mix with your foundation and make it lighter.

OTHER THAN THAT ITS AMAZING :))

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products