November 22, 2014 | 1918 users online

Foundations - Chanel - Pro Lumiere Professional Finish Make-Up ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2011 2:02:00 AM More reviews by lauramvig

This is so hyped up, but I hated it! It never sets, the colour selection sucks and I just think it accentuates every single dry patch on your face. Yuck.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2011 6:03:00 AM More reviews by poppydoll

Since I'm more of a TM kind of girl, I only wear Pro Lumiere on special occasions or certain nights out. I have sensitive, combo skin (oily in summer, dry in winter) that's acne prone and thankfully, this hasn't broken me out.

Pros:
    - Excellent coverage. My skin looks completely flawless, my pores are pretty much invisible and I don't look like I'm wearing a total mask.

- My skin glows. During the summer months I'd only wear this on a night out but when it's winter, my skin just seems to drink this up and it looks so dewy.

- Photographs very well. Indoor lighting, natural lighting, romantic candle lights...part of the reason why I whip this out for special occasions - pictures!! :D

- I'm a sucker for pretty packaging, it's like little sprinkles on a cupcake. I like the convenience of a pump and even the glass bottle (despite being a clutz).

- Surprisingly no breakouts/clogged pores. This might not be important for some, but for gals like me, it's something I always watch out for when using a product.

Cons:

- Expensive!!!!

Altough this isn't a product I would use everyday, it certainly performs and delivers on the days that I do use it. Despite the hefty pricetag I would purchase this again. One bottle would probably last me a long time though, seeing as it's not an everyday item.

For background I used:

MUFE HD Foundation, which was my previous go to foundation, but I've completely abandoned it since Pro Lumiere came along lol. MAC (breakout city), Benefit (meh), and DS ones that varied from bad to okay.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Min90

I really do like this foundation. I have somewhat fair skin and I found the colour 20 Clair a little too dark (I think it was the lightest shade too), but still doable. Gives more of a dewy finish than it does matte. The formula is rather thick and can feel heavy when wearing it. The colour also tends to oxidise, but only sometimes - I'm not sure what I do to make it do this.
    I am doubtful I will be able to wear this at all during summer as my skin becomes oilier and the air humid. However it's good for winter as my skin is dryer, and the moisturising aspect of the foundation helps with this.
    It retails around $85 in Australia, but I got it for $60 off Strawberrynet. Overall I am happy with the Pro Lumiere but I will not repurchase. I can get much better foundations for a fraction of the cost.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2011 10:10:00 AM More reviews by Gill222

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The color selection isn't the best - I got this in 20 clair cameo which was the lightest shade available and still slightly too dark for me but I can get away with this shade for the summer months. Anyhoo Chanel claims this is a semi matt foundation however I would say it gives a very glowy dewy look which does look nice for the summer. I generally dust my T zone with a mattifying powder. The scent of the foundation I could do without. I like the moisturising aspect of the foundation and it does give pretty good coverage however im knocking a lippy off for the high price.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2011 12:14:00 PM More reviews by winelips

My background info:
    I have been using Pro Lumiere in shade 20 for 2 month. This is my first high-end brand foundation. FYI, I'm no makeup expert.

Packaging:
    Good: Looks classy. Pump is convenient.
    Bad: Glass makes it a bit heavy for the handbag

Application:
    Good: One & a half pumps is enough for my entire face.
    OK: Spreads well but not as well as my previous foundation, but I assume thats because Pro Lumiere is less liquidy than my previous foundation.

Look & Feel:
    Good: Natural. Perfect in every light that I checked myself in. Dewy glow. Doesn't feel heavy or cakey. Soft and smooth to touch (like satin rather than velvet). Shade 20 is very pretty for skin with yellow undertones. Good level of pigmentation.

Something interesting:
    I have always had quite dry skin even though I moisturise daily. Since I've used Pro Lumiere, by skin has actually been oily along the T-zone! I'm really shocked & amused because my whole life I've always been so dry, even with my previous foundations being the hydrating type. However, its not a bad oily, because I just look glowy rather than greasy. Furthermore, my skin tone looks more even in the mornings! My face is virtually free of redness. I assume that the Pro Lumiere provides good nutrients to the skin &/or it is gentle. It makes me wonder whether my previous foundations caused my usual redness, but then I remembered that the redness occurs even when I hadn't worn make up the day before. Therefore, it is definitely something about Pro Lumiere that makes my skin feel more hydrated & even. Bless you Chanel! :D

Cost effectiveness:
    I paid $AU85. As I haven't only been using Pro Lumiere for 2 months, I can't comment on how long it lasts, but as I said, 1.5 pumps does the job for my entire face (which is quite a small amount actually) so I expect it to last. Considering how happy I am with the product, I am quite satisfied with paying this price.

Bottomline:
    I am very impressed at how much better a high-end brand foundation is compared to drugstore brands. Pro Lumiere is all that I had hoped for it to be & I am very likely to continue using it. I recommend it for anyone (besides oily skinned people) to try it out. Definitely try before you buy. Put it on a fresh face & wear it all day. Thats what I did. I wouldn't just blow $AU85 carelessly!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2011 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Mandibulo

This product claims to be a medium-buildable coverage, professional finish (aka semi-matte/natural) foundation. I disliked it at first. I thought it took an orange hue on my skin, plus I found the coverage inadequate and the consistency a bit awkward - I could even swear it accentuated my pores, which I don't usually have a problem with. So I let it sit in my drawer, disappointed, while I slapped on other foundations during the following months. Recently I re-tried this -the $$ I'd spent for it must have been urging me to give it another chance- and my impression from that second tryout was totally different from the initial one. My new conclusions were the following: It doesn't take an orange hue on me, it must have just been my idea. The color (20/Claire) is still not 100% of a perfect match (a tad too peachy on my NC25 skin), nevertheless it's very decent and it livens up my sallow complexion. Its lasting power is just fine, I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Its finish is ideal for me - luminous, satin, luxurious, it just makes your skin look so polished and lovely. Its coverage is indeed medium but buildable, so no complaints there either. As for the packaging, I guess it was meant to be sleek and grown-up, but somewhere along the way it kinda went wrong - opalescent glass bottle (=classy) with a flimsy plastic black cap (=cheap). So this product is not particularly convenient for travel since it's fragile and heavy, but at least it has a pump, which disperses just the right amount of liquid you need in order to cover the entire face. But I left the best bit for last: It looks so natural. It looks wonderful even in daytime under the hot, unforgiving sun. It is by far the most natural-looking medium coverage foundation I've ever used. It's difficult to look caky with this on. It just becomes one with the skin and it's quite effective when it comes to evening out the skintone and covering minor imperfections, plus it also looks realistic and discrete. NOW I get all the hype about Chanel foundations. This must be why they're always recommended by pros, and why they stand out so much in the high-end makeup world in general. I admit its awesomeness, and I bow to it. It's comparable to Mac face & body, only this one provides substantial coverage. Unfortunately it will be discontinued very soon, so I hope Chanel comes up with an equally magnificent formula to replace this one, or I'll be bitter about it. Recommended!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2011 6:28:00 AM More reviews by dianasheglova

Thankfully, I got a sample of this to try out, and oh my god, it has to be the worst foundations out there. The colour looked fine once I put it on, then half an hour on and I looked like a shiny orange oopma loompa. Never again.. You'd expect higher standards from Chanel, but no, not here. What a disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Bslade2189

I really liked the Chanel Foundation. It gave great coverage, buildable, and was easy to apply... Pro Lumi is for combination skin so if your dry in some areas and oily in others i would suggest getting this foundation in the Chanel line... Vita Lumi is for dry skin it gives a beautiful healthy glow... the only downside that i found with this product is that after only wearing it for a couple of hours it was already getting super oily and blotchy... i even used a foundation primer before i used it so i constantly had to blot my face with rice paper. I would buy this product again but i would only use it on special occasions or if im going out. Loved the coverage.
    xoxox Britt xoxo

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2011 6:29:00 AM More reviews by Tuttifruttini

WOW, Chanel has really shocked me! RUBBISH Chanel!

I remember years ago I used a Chanel foundation and it was good, I dont remember it being anything special (hence the lack of remembering the name also) but...it was ok.

I thought I would dip back into the Chanel pool and see what they have to offer.

Shocking! I bought this foundation and was so excited to get it home and try it out for a special occasion the following day. I woke...eager to start playing with my new product...after applying my usual lovely Smashbox Primer I opened my Chanel...a few squirts here, a few squirts there...and then me...covered in a flaky, pale, drying in areas residue...YUK! Now I have next to flawless skin, no dry patches so what on earth was going on, I dont know! I then removed it all and started again...I though surely Chanel cant be this awful?!

I started fresh without my primer thinking they may have been reacting together...after spending ages trying to smooth and even this horrid liquid out I then had no time to start afresh with my trusty MUFE HD.

I went out looking like a pale, flaky, dry patched mess!

I still could not believe this from Chanel! So the next day, I tried again, without my moisturizer, thinking maybe it needs a completely smooth and clean base...NOPE IT IS HORRID AND HORRIBLE.

So back to the shops I go, also returning the bronzer and concealor....£90.00 richer I am glad I got my money back!

That will teach me for abandoning my lovely MUFE HD!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by kerryfairy82

I had been wanting ot try this for a while, as i am moving closer towards 30 and am finding that the mid-range (loreal, max factor etc.) foundations just aren't doing it for me any more. Partly because my skin seems to be moving from combination to more oily as i get older meaning my foundation is gone after a couple of hours, and partly because i always tend to look tired and and have lost that youthful 'glow'.

I chose Pro Lumieré because it claims to be a medium to full coverage and semi matt finish. I hate matt skin, and have always gone for the dewy look, but with my skin becoming more greasy i knew i needed something a little less 'wet', so this sounded like the right foundation to change to. I chose the palest colour, limpide, as i am very fair.

The packaging is very sleek, and the pump action allows you to control exactly how much product you wish to dispense. The product seems very runny when it first comes out, but as soon as you apply it to your skin you actually feel it become kind of tacky and attach itself firmly to your skin - i've never felt anything quite like it. I chose to apply with my fingers, and as the colour is buildable, i will add extra where needed with a foundation brush for nights out. As i said, the product does feel very tacky when first applied to the skin, but after a few minutes it starts to dry onto your skin. I help this along with a very fine dusting of mineral finishing powder. I wouldn't use too much as i think this would take away from the quality of the Chanel foundation.

Ok, the verdict - i love it. My skin looks clear and youthful, i don't actually look like i am wearing any foundation, it's like a second skin with a very slight natural dewy glow. The only thing i would say is that blusher is very important, as any natural flush you may have is covered by the product (it is medium/full coverage after all). It stays on all day, and is not at all greasy like other reviewers have mentioned - not for me anyway, and my skin is pretty oily. One other thing the other reviewers mentioned is that they think the product is too heavy for every day use, i would disagree with that. As i mentioned, to me it's like wearing a second skin, i don't look heavily made up at all.

So, all in all - great :)

Just wish it wasn't so expensive!