Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

I have always used my cleansing oil to remove all my makeup and I absolutely love it. However during that time of the month I would still get occasional breakouts and that because of my oily T-zone I am prone to clogged pores.
Discovered this method with a mix of caster oil and grape seed oil in the ratio of 3:7 I wake up with glowing skin. Received so many compliments on my skin, my brother even said my face 'sparkles'. Five lippies!

FOR THIS TO WORK. READ THIS PLEASE. You are NOT going to mix whatever oils you can think of trying to create 'an ultimate cleanser' or from what I heard from friends you will be more prone to breakouts if you do this. I will recommend blending just 2 oils in your first trial of this method- caster oil and another oil of your choice which has a lowest chance of pore-clogging: Hemp Seed Oil, Safflower Oil, Sunflower Oil. Moving the scale up will be grape seed oil or olive oil. (I love them for they are super moisturising). Also VITAL to try out the different ratios that will work for you. Caster oil is drying so I will recommend a 50:50 ratio for your first cleanse then you can adjust your ratio.

on 4/12/2015 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Best thing I ever did for my skin was starting to cleanse with olive oil. All I do is get a cotton ball wet, dip in a bit of olive oil, cleanse my face with that, and then follow up with a wet cotton ball with very diluted apple cider vinegar. Then just rinse that off and moisturize. The oil gets makeup off easily, but I always do it at least twice to make sure it's all off.
I have extremely reactive and sensitive skin, and this REALLY helped to calm it down. My skin is usually clear now, when before I had breakouts all over, all the time. On top of that, I attribute this awesome glow to my skin to this method. Definitely recommend, just make sure you get in some regular exfoliation, too.

on 4/5/2015 6:49:00 PM

I love it! I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method for more than two years and I would never go back to commercial products. My skin looks fresh, moist and plump. My pores are smaller. Occasionally I can see how small pieces of impurities come out on its one. Not only that it is good for my skin but also helps me relax after long and busy day. Very important thing is to use castor oil and to avoid highly comedogenic oils.

on 4/4/2015 6:00:00 PM

HOLY SWEAR WORD! I have been doing this for about a week and only using olive oil. I intend to get either hazelnut oil or castor oil to mix it with but so far i've use either plain ol' olive oil (extra virgin) or I add one drop of tea tree EO just to really get at those pimples.

A bit of back story on my skin - I have been trying to switch to all-natural skin care so over the last month or so I have incorporated quite a few new things, witch hazel, rose water, tea tree, dr bronners magic soap, a moisturiser from Dr. Organic, jojoba oil and 99.9% pure aloe vera gel. Lots of new additions. Kinda bad I know!

So about two weeks ago my skin started freaking out, it did NOT like something I have been putting on my skin, it was itchy as f!@#. I cut out all the things that I thought could be the culprit, still no luck. Nothing was stopping the itching, I finally changed my foundtion even though I have been using the same one for about 6 months and wadayaknow? My face feels fine, itching gone, crisis over. (L'oreal the minerals, why you little...)

So basically, because of this extreme itchy face, I decided to quit the Dr. Bronners, thinking it was to blame (before discovering it was the foundation) which made me search ways to heal acne, natural face wash ect, then I found the oil cleansing method and I was like, meh, I'll try it. The very FIRST day I was surprised how nice my skin looked. A week in and my skin looks the best it has looked since before puberty. I have no new break outs, my pores appear smaller because they are no where near as clogged and my face is soft and a lot less bumpy.

On top of that my face doesn't turn to an oil slick after a few hours. I don't need to powder my face on my lunch break. I look in the mirror, tilt my head to see if the light from my forehead bounces back at me like it normally does but no! I look dewy and glowy.

It seems so counter-productive to put oil on oily skin but it's amazing.

My routine so far is simply oil cleanse with olive oil. (Just changed it to sunflower oil)
Then I use a mix of aloe vera gel and argan oil all over my face and today I incorporated some rose water on top of that because my face was feeling a little dry. My skin type is, oily all over with the added bonus of flaky all over if I don't moisturise properly and exfoliate.

My skin needs just an extra bit of moisture added to it so I'm off to find out what natural ways I can do this with out clogging my pores which can finally breath again. FU soap.

***EDIT***
I have been reading more about the OCM and decided to go for Organic Sunflower Oil because it rates 0 on the comedogenic scale. I have to say this oil is much better for my skin. With olive oil (OO), although I don't think it broke me out at all I had noticed my skin needed extra moisture. Using the sunflower oil (SFO) my skin doesn't feel like it needs more moisture and i have no flakiness like I was starting to get with the OO. I have only used the SFO once so it's early days but so far I am liking this much more. Maybe I wont need to go and get a natural moisturiser after all. I think next I will include shea butter into my routine which is also 0 on the comedogenic scale.

I think if you're acne-prone it's super important to find an oil that rates very low on the comedogenic scale. I read olive oil is moderate on the scale along with oils like coconut oil, which many sources say to avoid completely.

on 1/26/2015 3:34:00 PM

I have been using OCM regularly for a few years. After experimenting a bit, my simple mix is 50/50 castor/grapeseed oils, with a few drops of tea tree if I'm breaking out. I *try* to do this nightly, but it usually doesn't happen, it's too labor intensive for those days I just need to get into bed ASAP. But even if I do it 2-3 times per week I see the effects - it's essentially a deep cleanse for my oily skin.

I hardcore chemically exfoliate (the only thing that keeps me clear), so I haven't experienced the disgusting pleasure of my pores clearing out since the early days of using it, but cleansing in this way balances my skin like nobody's business. My skin is less oily throughout the day, well hydrated, and smooth. The biggest benefit (in combination with the exfoliating properties of removing the oil with a damp washcloth) is the reduction in sebacious filaments, especially under my lower lip/chin area. No other method works as well! It also forces me to exfoliate my lips way more than I normally would.

It removes my makeup fairly well. Maybe I'm using the wrong oils, but it's not that great at taking off my eye makeup, which isn't even waterproof. But all the face stuff is totally gone. I ALWAYS always always double cleanse with a "regular" cleanser after removing the oil though. Otherwise I will see some clogged pores.

I don't feel compelled to experiment with other oil blends, but I do want to try something like the Clinique cleansing balm to see if it's any better at taking off my eye makeup. I honestly feel the double cleanse is one of the best things I've been doing for my skin. If OCM doesn't work for you, by all means stop -- but do consider using a non-oil cleanser afterwards before you totally give up!

on 1/25/2015 6:34:00 PM

Fab fab fab. It's only been 3 days and even from the first time cleansing with oil I have noticed a difference in my skin texture! So smooth after. I am having a little dryness on my cheeks so will be experimenting with balancing out the castor oil with the other oils. I am using Castor, Jojoba and Avocado.
I have quite combination skin in that I have dryness but am still quite acne prone so was a little skeptical about 'cleansing' with oil but all the research made sense so I gave it a go and am so pleased I did.

on 1/19/2015 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Be careful! My skin turned into a terrible mess! I have used coconut oil in the past then started using Jojoba oil. I have large pimples all over my chin and my skin is an oily mess! Back to the drawing board!

on 1/14/2015 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

So, I'm going to be brutally honest with you. If you're not willing to experiment with different types of oil or expect miracles overnight, this is not the thing for you. If you however, are willing to experiment a bit, this cleansing method can be really rewarding.

My skintype is normal to oily skin with a little bit of dryness on the forehead. On my nose and chin I have some sebaceous filaments with some occasional blackheads on my chin, jawline and cheeks. I also have enlarged pores in the t-zone of my skin.

I'm 3 weeks into the OCM and my skin has never looked better. I get compliments from friends and family, asking me what I'm doing different with my skin. It looks dewy, soft and the very stubborn sebacious filaments on my nose have started to disappear. My pores are notably smaller. Overall, I'm very happy with the results.

I use jojoba oil and avocado oil in a 50/50 ratio from a good quality organic source. I followed the instructions on crunchbetty.com. I found the oils that worked for me pretty quickly, but a friend of mine, had less luck at first, but stuck to it and now has the best skin ever! Please, if you're starting this method, give it at least two weeks of experimenting before writing it off if it doesn't work for you at first.

on 1/14/2015 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I am acne prone and, like other acne sufferers, I will try anything that purports to cure acne at least once. And so, I tried this. In retrospect, sort of dumb - I should have consulted my derm or esthetician first. I started with concocting a frequently-changing blend of oils, with castor as a carrier oil, and then by using Julep's cleansing oil once I started to break out. The ritual of it was great. I spent way more time on my face than I had before, and I think that that was important. My skin felt soft and moisturized. But I then I started breaking out pretty badly from it (and not in my hormonal areas).

At which point I told my dermatologist about it, and she was like "NO, STOP," because I do not have the type of skin that can withstand different oils being rubbed into it every day. She DID suggest, however, carrying on with a similar routine of double-cleansing, the facial massages, and using a fresh towel on my face every time, etc. with my regular Cetaphil cleanser. And I've definitely seen results from it - my skin looks clearer and is less clogged, and taking the time to really stimulate my face definitely makes it brighter (and is supposed to, in the long run, help with sagging and wrinkles - I'm in my twenties, so I can't quite speak to that yet).

I think what I've realized is that the biggest strength of the oil cleansing method and the reason why so many people have seen such extreme results is more than likely due to the fact that they've started properly washing their faces for the first time, not so much the cleansing method itself. If you're at all like me, face washing usually means whacking on some cleanser, smooshing it around a bit, and then washing it off and drying your face with whatever towel is on hand. The great thing about oil cleansing is that it really gets you into a ritual - you steam your face, spend a full minute massaging the product into your face, you double-cleanse, you use a clean muslin or flannel cloth to get it off each time. THOSE, I think, are the things that really make the difference here, not so much the oil itself.

I don't think that I would recommend this to someone who has issues with acne - it might work, but it's really playing with fire a bit, particularly since a person with acne doesn't have the luxury of playing around with what oil blend may or may not work without causing their face to blow up. I never felt my blackheads "falling out" or anything (that just seems a little bit unlikely, and more like dead skin cells were probably balling up from the micro-exfoliation of the person's hands working their skin), but I did see a lot of whiteheads come in. My skin was definitely moisturized, but not in a way that is unattainable with a gentle non-foaming cleanser and a good moisturizer. So I have to give the oil cleansing method a low rating, but I do have to stay that I have stuck to some of the good cleansing habits that I gained while on it, and I'm grateful for that.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Oil cleansing, in the most basic sense (as far as I can tell), is using only oil and then a warm washcloth to wipe the face. On my dehydrated skin, this means that whatever moisturizer I use after oil cleansing can't properly moisturize as there is a layer of oil it cannot penetrate through. While I do have success in removing my makeup with oil, I find that I need to double cleanse (follow up the oil cleansing with regular face wash) or else the next morning I will wake up with flaky skin.

I have tried this multiple times with various oils (mineral, grapeseed, apricot kernel, avocado, almond, rosehip, argan, etc. and in different ratios) and have had the same flaking day-after experience with each. As a positive, I at least did not notice any increase (or decrease) of acne.

I do sometimes use the oil cleansing method as the first step in my cleansing routine, but as a standalone it doesn't work for my dehydrated skin type.