December 19, 2014 | 1452 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by BananaPancakes12

I having been practicing the OCM for 8 months now. At first I did break out but at the same time I saw improvements in my skin. I know that it was probably in the "purging" stage and that's why I broke out a little more than usual. I started with a bland of 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 grape seed oil, and 1/3 jojoba oil (all organic). I was using this for quite a while and my face did stop breaking out a lot but I reached a plateau and I was still not satisfied with how my face was looking. Plus, for the most part I was confused if I should be putting on moisturizer afterwards or not. For the most part I used a little bit of either grape seed oil or jojoba oil on my face after. I eventually switched the castor oil to sweet almond oil because I have rosacea and I thought it would help to be gentler. Well, this was a mistake. I started breaking out even more. So I went back to castor oil. I then stopped it all together because I started to notice that my face was becoming covered with little flesh coloured bumps that made me look like my pores were clogged. For about two weeks I stopped using it but there was no difference in my face. When I started doing it again, I added 1-2 drops of tea tree oil and switched the grape seed oil in for avocado oil. I have been using this for the last 6 weeks and honestly my face keeps breaking out and those little bumps are not going away.

The only reason that I keep doing this is because I love that it is all natural and I fully believe that it will help and it was helping. But, I've been reading some horror stories of people experiencing the same thing so I think I'm going to stop using the OCM all together. It's too bad because I really liked how my face was looking more radiant and even skin toned despite having minor acne on my cheeks and completely clearing my forehead. However, I would just like to warn anyone with sensitive skin that you might experience this as well.

I don't know what I am going to do now to wash my face and clear up not only the acne that persists but those little flesh coloured bumps that remain all over my skin. So please, if you have been considering using the OCM, read this and just be cautious - if you notice this starts happening do not continue using it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Ladyhecate1992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best thing I've ever done for my skin.
I think the trick to getting this right if you're having trouble is to play around with different types of oils, some people need a drier oil, some a moist one. I have sensitive dry skin, and when I first started doing this I used extra virgin avocado oil, my skin immediately felt and looked plump, fresh and even, then I ran out of avocado oil one day and decided to give olive oil a go, it works even better than avocado oil on my dry skin, it makes it so soft and supple, I tried coconut oil and it actually dries out my skin. My point is If you're having trouble with this I think you should try another oil, and I cannot stress enough how important it is to STEAM STEAM STEAM with a fresh face cloth, you do not want to be using one you've previously used.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by LaurynCeleste

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The oil cleansing method is not for everyone. I repeat, it is not for everyone. I tried it and it did nothing for me. I still suggest that other people try it for themselves but I prefer e honey cleansing method. Although I don't use coconut oil on my face, and other oils, I do use them in my hair which is great. :-). I wish all the best of luck.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by kaylenew

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I may have finally found the solution to my extremely oily skin! My face is terribly oily that it gets oily just under one hour of washing. I tried many things - from retinol to AHA peels and washes to trying to tackle it from the inside by eating supplements like zinc, panthetonic acid (vitamin B5) and antibiotics, none of them worked. My beauty blogger friend told me that oily skin may in fact be dry and dehydrated so I tried drinking more water and using oily moisturizers. Again, you guessed it. It didn't work. I heard of the oil cleansing method few years ago but didn't think it would work, so I put it at the back of my mind. Happened that I bought a cheap bottle of olive oil makeup remover that could also be doubled up as a moisturizer for face, hair, nail cuticles etc so I decided to try it on my face. I was feeling a little apprehensive since it contained fragrance, BHA and isopropyl mystriate but I went ahead. I rubbed the oil on my face and massaged it for 2 minutes. I could feel grainy stuff coming out and after that, I simply used a foaming cleanser to do a 2nd cleansing. I could my face still oily after cleansing but I just ignored it. Afterwards I moisturized normally. I was shocked that my face was no longer oily even after 6 hours! It was rather matte and smooth even on areas with large pores like my cheeks and forehead. The sides of my nose and below my lips used to smell funky like cheese which I think it was due to bacteria and sebum and since using the OCM method, it no longer smells. I also don't get much blackheads anymore. Used to pull out lots of blackheads using the charcoal mask pack or strips in the past but not so much anymore.

I was surprised that this would work on oily skin but it did so I'm elated!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by blackmamba6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I am really, really, really impressed with the Oil Cleansing Method.

After reading so much about it, I wanted to simplify the process, so I use only a dab of pure Shea Butter. It's non-comedogenic, and entirely natural - absolute requirements for my oily, blackhead-prone skin. I think it might also be the main reason for my success with the method. The brand I use is NOW Solutions, and I bought it in a health food store for about $14.

I rub a teaspoon of it into my face for about 30 seconds, then I wipe it off with a hot washcloth. It has been absolutely wonderful. So simple, so natural. My clogged pores are vanishing before my eyes, and my skin has a clean, bright dewyness to it I haven't seen since before puberty. It's the only thing that's ever worked on my stubborn blackheads and sebacious filaments.

Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by BarefootedALIEN

I do not use castor oil. I use NOW Grapeseed oil. With dry fingers, I rub the oil all over my face at night. Rinse my fingers off, brush my teeth, probably go potty one last time, and then rinse the oil off gently with my wash cloth. Pat gently with a dry side of the same washcloth, and follow with ACV toner (1:3 acv to water), sometimes use aloe vera as a moisturizer or cream kefir. - I had relatively clear skin prior to this method. I must say this oil/acv/ aloe combo has helped heal my acne scars. Really of you are considering ocm specially for acne, please try acv toner first. My skin changed dramatically when using acv toner and cerave face wash and moisturizer. Now I'm almost following a chemical free regimen with clear skin!!! :D

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by lauracph88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OMG. Don't even know why I ever got on this horrid cleansing fad. One week of the OCM (followed the instructions to the letter) with 20% castor oil and 80% sweet almond oil, and my skin has never been worse! I have crazy, tiny bumps ALL over my face and cystic acne on my cheeks, where I never break out. I can't believe that my own review is like an exact copy of so many other reviews I read before starting the OCM. Guess I thought they were all doing it wrong, and as long as I followed the "rules" meticulously I'd be fine. Back on the acne.org regimen, and preying that my skin can be saved this way (btw I was completely clear before the OCM, but wanted to get my skin of BP, since my derm told me that my skin had become paper thin and sensitive due to the harsh BP regimen. Still. Rather thin and sensitive than crazy breakouts and low selfesteem. These past few days, my skin has been all I have been thinking about! Obsessively!).

I am sure the OCM works for some, but please know that you are taking a risk, that so many of us have failes. Just try googling "the OCM ruines my skin". I am not alone with abovementioned experience...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by giraffe4994

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

To give some background: I have struggled with level 3 acne since I was about 13 years old, I'm 19 now. I've been on everything, harsh topical treatments, birth control, even as extreme as Accutane. I am an esthetician, and having acne is embarrassing enough, but even more so when you want to help others with their skin. I am great at dealing with others, but for some reason i always had trouble getting my skin right.

After hearing about OCM a few years ago, it struck my interest and I kind of kept it in the back of my mind. I studied through college and now that I'm graduated and my acne is becoming more painful and deep, I decided to do some research. After reading a tonne of horror stories from people who are using castor oil as their astringent in their blend of oils, I'm not surprised at all. Castor oil is extremely drying and irritating and can actually end up causing a lot of long term and irreversible damage to your skin. I see a lot of people complain about having a lot more redness in their skin than they used to, castor oil is a heating oil and is actually quite toxic, and can cause irreversible damage to your capillaries and break them. Therefore I would NOT RECOMMEND CASTOR OIL AS YOUR ASTRINGENT OIL FOR OIL CLEANSING.

Instead of castor oil, I use a sweet almond oil as my astringent oil, and mix it with the same amount of jojoba oil. That's it. Sweet almond oil is great because it cleans very well, is great for acne (so is jojoba!) and it moisturizes while it cleanses. Sometimes I will mix a drop or 2 of tea tree in if I'm not wearing any makeup. I soak it off with a hot towel and all that, you know, and usually apply a serum, and sometimes just a drop or 2 more of jojoba oil just for fun, but not always.

I recommend anyone curious about oil cleansing try sweet almond oil first! I am positive they will have great results like I am having. My face has really really cleared up, it looks even and glowing and radiant, just like a 19 year old's skin should look :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by UrbanFacedMacnamedNYX

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have dry/oily sensitive acne prone skin and I have noticed a big difference. I use castor olive tea tree and vitamin e oils. I do the massage the sit time 2 min each. I then cleanse my face with African black soap and witch hazel as an astringent. I only do it at night 3 a week. I do an asprin mask one a week and once a week I also mix gelatin and milk. I also do steam and mud mask and exfoliation once a month. I use a clarisonic 4x a week. That's my routine it helped unclog my pores keep them clean got rid of acne I have softer even skin and my hyperpigmentation has lightened.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2014 5:03:00 AM More reviews by teojia

I started reading natural beauty blogs, and felt resolved to educate myself on the chemicals around me and in the products I use. It was therefore natural that I switched to OCM. I bought a bunch of oils and essential oils, and my initial mix of grapeseed oil, castor oil and some EOs worked really well. I've been acne prone my whole life, but my skin prior to OCM was pretty good and I thought I had finally outgrown my acne phase. My skin never looked better during the initial OCM phase - it felt hydrated, and was soft to touch, which was a first for me. I made some for my friends and parents to try, and was eager to hear reviews from them.

When I ran out of grapeseed oil, I started using olive oil, or some other mixture which I've now forgotten. About one month into OCM, my skin started taking a turn for the worse. The subsequent weeks (or was it months? I really stuck it out) were the worst my skin has ever been, and that's saying a lot. I stuck it out, thinking my skin was 'purging'. (I've since debunked that belief and will not subscribe to that theory!)

So I tried it faithfully for about four months I think, before grudgingly returning to normal foam/bar cleansers. I suspect acne prone skin should not be massaged regularly, as the sebum glands are already active, so massaging the skin only activates them more. Maybe one day I'll try it again. For now, I'm staying far away from OCM.