Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

First, I don't have sensitive skin, so maybe that's why I was pretty underwhelmed. This cleanser is fine. I mixed it into rotation with several others that I had. It was fine, but I won't buy again. Nothing wrong with it - just nothing special.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have tried so many high end cleansers and all of them left my skin stripped and raw. I always return to this. My skin stays hydrated, there's no scent to make my nostrils flip out, it's cost effective...I mean, really.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I hate this cleanser! I don't understand why they call it "gentle" since it has so many irritating ingredients. The texture is oily and gross. It leaves a film on the skin. Definitely do not use this if you are acne prone. I can't use it on my face so instead of wasting it, I'm using at as a shower gel. I don't love the feeling of it on my skin. This is one of the most overrated products ever. I think it's dermatologist recommended because it doesn't have any "active" ingredients like BHA, BP, etc. so it's easier to implement in a routine. Too bad it's awful for oily, acne-prone skin!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've had problematic skin for over a decade (in my mid-20s now). The last couple of years I started getting serious about skin care. Rather than trying OTC acne products and treating my skin with harsh products and excessive exfoliation, I began to be more strategic. First, while my skin is oily, it is also very sensitive and can be prone to dryness/flakes, especially during winter. I decided to seek out a gentle non-stripping cleanser to address sensitivity and Cetaphil works the best for me -- it balances my skin and it is now the clearest its ever been (I still get minor hormonal breakouts -- a few spots along the chin/ jawline).
When I first started using Cetaphil, there was a bit of a purging phase that lasted about 2-3 weeks, but I stuck with it. One of the things I've learned over the years is to actually give your skin time (i.e. at least a few weeks) to adjust to new products. At this point, my skin looks the best it ever has and has been consistently clear for nearly a year, which was what prompted me to add a review for this product.
I use this cleanser in combination with microfibre cloths. The microfibre gently exfoliates my skin and prevents flaking. The key is to apply light pressure with microfibre -- if you press too hard, it can severely irritate your skin.
For me, Cetaphil actually DOES remove makeup, because I remove eye-makeup first (petroleum jelly to dissolve, wipe off with a tissue), and then double-cleanse with Cetaphil. It works best when you wet your face, apply a pump (or even just half a pump) of Cetaphil, and gently massage it all over your skin for at least 30 seconds. Rinse off, use a wet microfibre cloth to remove any residue, then cleanse again. It may be worth noting that I exclusively use Korean BB creams on my skin. Cetaphil removes all the Korean BB creams I've tried (mostly a range of various BBs by Holika Holika, but also some from Missha and Urban Dollkiss, including higher-coverage ones) with the method I described, but I cannot speak from experience whether the method works with Western foundations.
Overall, Cetaphil ranks as the #1 cleanser for me.

Comes in a nice pump bottle. Is great on my skin shrinks my pores on my nose so tiny i love it! I cleanse twice with this and its gentle enough for me to use to remove eye makeup too! Never looking back. I love it

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product is full of parabens and after using for 2 weeks, I stopped due to an allergic reaction. I did not attribute the reaction to this cleanser because I thought it was supposed to be gentle. I don't think it does a good job of cleansing the face either. My reaction was redness and tiny bumps around my eyes and nose, with intense itchiness. I had hives and did not even know it! I stopped using it and it took a few weeks for the redness and bumps to go away. Please beware, just because it says it is gentle, it may not be.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

Decent, no frills cleanser. It gets my makeup off in one easy step. Has a great price. Doesn't break me out. The regular size bottle lasts for a couple of months with daily use. It's almost perfect. It's simple and it's what my face needs because I have sensitive acne prone skin. I use this mostly at night and some mornings too. I use it to take off my make up with a wash cloth and I follow up with my boscia cleanser. My face hasn't been this happy and clear in a long time.

I have been using this for approximately 5 years. It is my staple.
So gentle on your skin, yes it will not work miracles on clearing you skin however it is better to find a product that works well with it such as this rather than overloading yourself with harsh acne treatments. I use it morning and night followed by Trilogy Rosehip oil and it keeps my skin in good condition! Non comedogenic as well, don't be alarmed that it doesn't lather up to much its still working! Great price great application don't expect miracles but it is more important to establish a long term skin care plan.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am 58 years old....I have been using this to clean my face since I was 12..... That is a lot of years and a lot of bottles of Cetaphil!!!! I won't use anything else !

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a crazy gentle cleanser, to the point that I am not totally sure it gets off makeup, and definitely not for eye makeup removal. But for people who like very gentle cleansing, this is a good bet. I find myself feeling like there is residue or dirt left over though, so if I do use it I have to follow up with a toner.

Pros: Nice pump bottle, extremely gentle, good for people with very sensitive skin. I like to use this before face masks if I don't want my soaps to interact with the mask. The price is decent for what you get.

Cons: I don't feel totally clean when I rinse it off, and in that same vein it doesn't cleanse deeply enough for my daily needs.

Video Reviews & Tutorials