November 1, 2014 | 1257 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2014 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Cetaphil is a product of very clever marketing. I mean, a basic cleanser that has SLS and all possible parabens AND propylene glycol to boot, gets such rave reviews and advertising - dermatologist recommended etc!

I used the trial version of this cleanser (which was also very expensive btw). First few washes, the skin felt very good - tight and clean. However, after a few days, I noticed some blemishes and general dulling of the skin. It did not glow like before and there were several small bumps on my face around the eyes and mouth. Evidently, I am allergic to some ingredient in this cleanser and I am not surprised - given that it has so many bad ingredients!

It is an awful and super-pricey product - period!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by AimeeMarieMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

While I can't say that I hate this product, I can't say that I like it in the slightest either. It is a very gentle, soft cleanser that would perhaps work for someone that has normal skin, or pretty normal sensitive skin; but as someone who has combo, acne prone skin I just didn't feel like this did anything other than foam up on my face and leave it feeling somewhat dry. It doesn't seem to actually clean my face at all, particularly when I'm in the middle of a break out or even close to breaking out.

Honestly, I ended up using this as a brush cleaner whenever I run out of the stuff I usual brush cleaner I normally buy and I'm not going to Target anytime soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by socharming

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I first tried this many, many years ago after receiving a travel size sample from my dermatologist.

It wasn't effective as a skin cleanser for my oily/combo skin, but I loved it as an eye makeup remover. It's gentle and free of fragrance and colorants.

I use a quarter-sized amount and gently slide it over my eye area (NO RUBBING) for a few seconds. Because this product is gel-like and has a lot of slip to it, it easily mixes with eye makeup (including regular mascara) and just melts it away. Then I gently wipe it off with a tissue or cotton round and wash my face with a foaming cleanser.

It doesn't work so great on waterproof eyeliners, so for that I use a cotton swab dipped in sweet almond oil (any oil should do the trick) before using Cetaphil.

A 16 oz pump bottle lasts me about 2 years this way. I have also tried the CVS generic version, which is the only one so far I have found that is very similar in consistency and has the identical ingredients. The Target version is nothing like the Cetaphil and is way too liquid.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2014 6:51:00 AM More reviews by miriammak97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first cleanser I ever used and I've been using it on and off for the past 6 years. It's a good simple cleanser - nothing special but it seems to get the job done okay. It's off-white, runny and has no fragrance and doesn't lather up which I like as my skin can be quite sensitive.
However, it does not work very well as a makeup remover so I usually use Bioderma beforehand, use this afterwards and it works just fine! I really like that it comes with a pump but it makes it kind of annoying to travel with.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Liljachs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Before, I did struggle with acne, but after i was in Florida on vacation (i'm from Norway) and found this cleanser, I hardly ever get any acne! I'm happy that I bought it and will continue to order it :D

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2014 8:19:00 AM More reviews by zaakyah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I ran out of facial cleanser so I decided to get a new one. After 2 days of researching, I found that Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser has a good reputation so i purchased a bottle.

It's a little pricey in my country for a drugstore cleanser but something I was willing to invest in. At first, I wasn't sure how much I should use so I squeezed a small amount, the size of a small coin, on my palm and apply it on my face. Since it doesn't lather, I wasn't sure if I was using enough. Despite so, I didn't add anymore of the product.

After I got out of the shower, my face feels dry and stretched. I have dry skin to begin with so I wasn't surprised. Upon looking at the mirror, I noticed slight flaking. I've had worst flaking with another product I used before the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. A few hours later, my T-zone gets slightly oily but wasnt as oily before I used this product.

Therefore, it isn't really moisturizing as it claims to be. I would probably pair this with either the Cetaphil DailyAdvance lotion or Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 50+ in the near future.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 11:22:00 AM More reviews by owensrl77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product has completely changed my view on skin care. I was used to using cleansers that dried my skin out, but I thought it was just that "clean" feeling. I now realize it was just dry, tight skin. When I first started using this product, I did not like it. After a few weeks of using it, I loved it! Ever since I've started using this product, I rarely have break outs or pimples. I do have pretty good skin to begin with, but did see the occasional pimple and break out. This leaves my skin feeling soft, supple, and moisturized. It doesn't leave u with that dry, tight feeling. I first wet my face and hands and then pump 2-3 squirts of cleaner in my hand. I then massage the cleanser into my skin and rinse off. I always let my skin air dry. This product is very gentle, yet effective. It is the only thing that will completely take off my mascara and fake lashes. I will never go to another facial cleanser!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2014 10:31:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

This just was not a good match for my skin.
I tried both the regular and the one for oily skin.
Neither worked.
My skin hated these cleansers. I broke out like crazy and my skin produced more oil.
They did not clean very well at all!
As a matter of fact I have better cleaning results from lotion and a tissue.

The good news... if this does work for your skin then a bottle will last forever!
It seemed like I would never be done with it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2014 4:30:00 AM More reviews by e1e

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It is a popular cleanser recommended by doctors, but this stuff burns my skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2014 4:15:00 AM More reviews by janes05

I LOVE this cleanser! I have extremely sensitive acne prone skin but this does not irritate it at all. I had no blemishes for 6 months straight, went away for the weekend without it and came back with a face full of pimples! Only downside is the packaging, should be available in a tube for travelling.