December 19, 2014 | 1698 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the best skincare product I have ever used in my life, hands down.

I've had acne since I was a teenager (along with rosacea, but that's a separate issue), and nothing I ever tried REALLY stopped it. Not only did I have the horrible pimples popping up ALL the time, but on top of that, they left PIH marks on my very delicate skin, making it look like I'm constantly in the middle of a breakout all over my cheeks.

I tried just about everything, and while some things were slightly more effective than others, none REALLY fixed my skin...until I finally got on Retin A Micro.

Prior to this, I did try regular Retin A (cream), but an ingredient in it caused me to break out. Still, I was having some good effects from the Retin A, so I decided to look into the Micro instead, and I'm SO glad I did.

I never experienced any sort of break in period with this, where my pimples got worse than before. They just...over time...vanished. I'm now in my third month of using this, and I don't have a single pimple on my face. Not ONE. Not only am I breakout free, but my pores are looking much smaller due to the fast turnover rate of my skin...and my undereye circles are less noticeable because the Retin A Micro is causing my skin to thicken and produce collagen (I do use eye cream before I apply, though, and let it dry for 30 minutes before applying the Retin A).

The only issue I've really had with it is that it can be VERY drying...but I'm using the .1%, which is the highest Retin A Micro goes. In order to deal with the flaking, I've started to put moisturizer on top of the Retin A Micro, about 30-40 minutes after. I also alternate nights with a glycolic acid creme, but I don't recommend this when you're beginning to use Tretinoin, because your skin is much thinner and more sensitive in the beginning. After a few months, you can try to patch test it to see if you skin can handle it. But for my skin, the combination works really well to keep me from getting too flaky.

I order this from http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/ , where (as of my writing this review) you can buy three 20 gm tubes of Retin A Micro for $113...for reference, one 20 gm tube lasts me around five months, so that is over a years supply. If you break that down by month, it's not even 8 dollars a month for this miracle product...definitely worth it!

I HIGHLY recommend trying this product...I usually consider my skin extremely sensitive, but even I can make it work with little to no hassle. And when you try it, do try it for at least 12 weeks, to give it a fair shot. It takes a while to work it's magic, but it's SO worth it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by bhagen2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have finally found my miracle cream! I highly recommend anyone with severe acne try this. I am a 24 year old female and have always had acne prone skin. I have experimented with many different products and nothing seemed to work. My acne became more severe when I turned 21 and that's when I began to get desperate. After numerous trips to the aestheticism, my doctor, and the dermatologist nothing was working I was starting to loose hope. My roommate then told me about RAM and insisted I try it. After about 4 weeks of horrible breakouts I began to see clearer skin. I am now in week 8 of using this and I haven't had a single breakout in 2 weeks.

I wash my face every night with my clarisonic and aveeno face wash. Then ill use CeravePM immediately after washing. I then wait about 15 minutes for the lotion to absorb and apply a very thin layer to my entire face. Once the RAM has dried I use a heavier lotion like Burt's Bees intense moisturizer. My face is a little dry when I wake up but nothing a little lotion doesn't take care of.

I order my retina a micro 0.1% from inhousepharmacy.biz and only pay $40 for a 20g tube. This cream has changed my life. Highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by renakinz

I've struggled with mild acne since I was 16. A couple of years ago (in my early 20s) I went to the dermatologist who prescribed me Retina-A-Micro - my skin seriously has not been the same since.

First of all - I should point out that I'm also on birth control (which I think you have to be if you're female and using this product ...) which has greatly helped my skin (as most of my acne was hormonal) as well as Clindoxyl. However, I have noticed that since adding Retina-A-Micro to my routine about a year ago - the texture of my skin has changed immensely.

I gotta start out with the fact that I really didn't follow the doctor's instructions as to how to use the cream - I know you're supposed to apply all over your face ... but I cheated and only really applied to affected area. So basically my T-Zone. Since I also don't get acne on my forehead - I never really tried this up there either. I do however stick it right between my eyebrows when I get the occasional pimple.

What I've discovered is: yes, this cream dries out your skin tremendously. So to counter balance that - I've started using some pretty heavy duty moisturizers. I now use the Korres Wild Roses 24h Brightening cream for the day & a combination of the Origins Night-A-Min & Origins Drink It Up Intense Overnight Mask (2 nights a week or over spots where I'm extra dry) for the night & Hydraluron Moisture Booster from Indeed labs underneath during the winter anddddd my skin has never been happier.

I've found that my acne is not as severe as it used to be - spots (especially when I zap them at night with Retina-A) tend to go away in (sometimes) hours or 1/2 days. I don't get those deep spots that hurt like hell anymore. Old spots as well do not scar the way they used to & dark spots go away within a week. I do find however that at the end of the day - if I rub areas where I have been using the Retina-A cream (chin, inner cheeks near nose) .. concealer & dried skin comes off (usually during the winter - not really during the summer).

Regardless of the above - my skin has never looked brighter & better - so lovveeee it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 7:01:00 PM More reviews by monicargonzalez

This is the only product that has reduced my blackheads/whiteheads. Various products, Epiduo, Ancaya gel have gotten rid of my inflamed acne, but only Retin A Micro has worked on the closed comedones. I am very happy with the results. Additionally, I have experienced an overall refreshening of the skin. I would say it has taken off a good ten years; I am 42. I do not have wrinkles but RAM has improved the tone and overall clarity. What I really want to explain is how I was able to avoid an initial breakout and severe peeling stage. I started off for about 6 months on the Skincueticals retinol 1%. That sort of prepped my skin for the main event. I still get dry on occasion, but nothing that can't be solved by a little Argan or jojoba oil. Seriously, ladies don't spend your hard-earned $$ on department store miracle creams...they don't make a significant difference!! Go for it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 2:59:00 AM More reviews by ForeverKim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the best topical cream ive used... Yes, you'll break out fort the first month because it penetrates deep inside the skin... And brings out all the dirt and bacteria( maybe) inside that causes new pimple to form... For me it dries my pimple really fast then peel the dead skin that is on top of my face and brings out the new one, you'll see that even the dark spots are becoming less visible in the long run. I will buy this product again... 2 thumbs up for this product

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Retin A has saved my skin and now that RAM is generic I got this right away. For me this works the best with less irritation then the cream and less dryness then the gel. I have this in the 0.1% because now since I have been using these products for over 2 years my skin is finally clear and able to handle a higher dose. Let me tell you as others have said it does get worse before it gets better. I swear it really does. If you use it minimally at night and moisturize the redness and flaking will be minimal compared to if you use to much. I learned that the hard way and was red and really dry for days. I now use this for its anti aging properties but apply like I would if I still had acne.

I wash with a milk or creme cleanser I do apply my toner and eye cream. I consider the eye cream area the place I don't want to put this product. Or by your nose it will make it super tender. Once my skin is dry about 20 minutes. I do apply a slight bit above my lip but a pin drop. The generic I have has a small tube opening so you don't waste product it's awesome! Any way I work from my forehead down skipping the areas that I don't need it. For me I apply CeravePM almost right after and have had no bad results. I have been doing it for years and it works for me. With this I am seeing more results and less irritation which, I am stoked about. My forehead lines and old scar is so minimal and my acne scars are almost gone. If I do get a monthly spot this product decimates it.

About an hour after the Cerave if I'm still feeling a little dry I'll use KORRES Yogurt Sleeping Mask. I also use Aha's and Mandelic Acid specifically to keep breakouts at bay and give my skin a rest from the RAM. I also got this for 20$ something on MyLashes4Less figure I say that for those who can't afford the co pay or like me my insurance won't cover it. I got it in 2 days and it's a 20gram tube which lasts me about a year the way I use it. So those of you with breakouts or if you're trying to fight time like me I can attest going on 3 years this product works! The only time I had an ill effect is when I put on too much. So stick with it if you're hating it because soon you will love it. I never thought I would love this stuff and I hated my bearded dragon look but all that goes away in time reveling awesome skin.:)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by estubbs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used Retin A (not micro) years ago, and had terrible problems with flaking but had improved texture. Over time, I gave up on it, in particular when I had my two children since RAM is not recommended during pregnancy. I have been struggling for the past 10 years with clogged pores and lots of under skin bumps, along with general mild acne. I finally got it together and went to the derm and asked for Retin A. He prescribed the low-dose gel, RAM .04%. I started slowly and worked up to almost every night over a couple of months. The improvement in texture and clarity is dramatic on my chin and cheeks.

However the forehead, which is a real trouble area for me with lots of clogged pores and bumps under the skin, improved a bit -- but not enough to make me feel happy. I noticed that a reviewer here had recommended increasing the dose when you are acclimated to the low-strength version, so on a 6-month follow up with my derm, I requested RAM .1%. He advised me to use RAM .1% only on the areas where I felt it was needed and to stick with the lower strength for the cheeks and chin, which I am doing. In the evening, after cleansing, I put a small amount of RAM .1% on my forehead and down my nose. Then I use a small amount of RAM .04% on the rest of my face. So far so good, there is some smoothing and some evening of texture in my problem areas. I have only been on the RAM .1% for a couple of weeks, so I am hoping that over the next 5 months I will have better improvement on the forehead.

The great news is that RAM is now available in generic! So, while my original RAM .04% prescription cost a $40 co-pay (after I fought to have it covered at all) back in May 2013, the new prescription for RAM .1% cost only $10 co-pay in November 2013! Now that I am on RAM, I think I will keep using it forever.

The bottom line is that RAM is a godsend for those of us with slow cell turnover and clogged pores. Folks, give it a try (for at least 6 months) to see if it can help you. If you use it slowly and consistently and work up to the full dose, I bet you will be happy with the results!

UPDATE 3/10/14: I found some good benefit from the RAM, but a follow up visit to the dermatologist revealed that some of the bumps weren't responding because they aren't comedones, they are sebaceous hyperplasia. That's a huge bummer because that is a very difficult condition to treat. I have started adding Paula's Choice Resist BHA 9, and so far have had some improvement. I am going to review the PC BHA 9 separately. I hope this new regimin works and will update my review over time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by DameEasy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm into my second month of using Retin A Micro and it has made an amazing difference in my skin. I now use it every night. I wash my face and apply Cerave, then wait about half hour before applying the Retin A Micro. My pores have become noticeably smaller and my scars are fading away. I haven't had a break out in a few weeks now.

A little background. I am 25 years old, male, and have been dealing with acne since I was 17. My skin is also on the oilier side. I have used this product (or a similar Retinoid) when I was younger, but in hindsight it may not have worked because I was using it incorrectly, more on that later. A little more than a year ago, I was on accutane for five months and it was like a miracle drug, up to that point nothing really seemed to worked - including antibiotics... So getting off the pill was a little bittersweet. My skin was fine at least 6 months after but then I began to break out again. I was devastated and my dermatologist prescribing me Retin A Micro did not help my stress - since I remembered what it was like to use topical creams to fight acne before.

This time around though I was determined to find out everything I could before using Retin A Micro. I looked at these boards and found that people had success with applying it half an hour after washing their face and after using a moisturizer like Cerave. The first two weeks I would also use it only every other or third night. Another important element was only to use a pea sized amount, don't overdue it. The first month I did break out, sometimes 2-3 new whiteheads a day (luckily small and not cystic). It was not TOO bad because I think the accutane did a good job of wiping out any acne I had under my skin. I am well into my 7th week using it and have absolutely no regrets. My skin does peel SOMETIMES, but it's almost like a sunburn peel, as in it comes right off and does not leave any redness behind (an no sunburned skin pain). I have not had a single break out in almost three weeks. I also use a Clarisonic face brush 1-2 times a week to exfoliate any dead skin on my face. I feel this prevents my skin from peeling/flaking as much.

The 3rd/4th week I really did feel like this product was not working and I will have to get use to having a face full of acne again...Most will probably experience this so just push through it... Don't overdo it by applying more, just be patient and moisturize. I honestly think if this helped me, with my immensely acne prone skin, it should help MOST others with acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2013 5:14:00 PM More reviews by tinaredfern

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok let me first start out saying that retin -a mirco gel is amazing and it will make your skin beautiful. BELIEVE ME!

But I must warn you retin micro gel will break you out like crazy at first.You will truly truly fill like this product is not working. It brings everything up under your skin. Your skin will be flaky sore and full of pimples that will hurt. The only face wash you can use is cetaphil in the beginning.I hear people say they see results in a few DAYS. That is not possible. The first month u will have a serious breakout by the second month your face will start to get a little better.But it takes a FULL 12 weeks before you really see the results.

So whoever is on this medicine be encourage its not easy.But it definitely worth the wait

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by Jamie222

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was using this product on and off for the past two years. It was a disaster in the beginning because I was using it In conjunction with other pore clogging products. To make the story short, this product has made my skin looking better than it was. I use it twice a week and when it peels I use Aquaphor for a night or two.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No