August 1, 2014 | 1323 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Retin A has saved my skin and now that RAM is generic I got this right away. For me this works the best with less irritation then the cream and less dryness then the gel. I have this in the 0.1% because now since I have been using these products for over 2 years my skin is finally clear and able to handle a higher dose. Let me tell you as others have said it does get worse before it gets better. I swear it really does. If you use it minimally at night and moisturize the redness and flaking will be minimal compared to if you use to much. I learned that the hard way and was red and really dry for days. I now use this for its anti aging properties but apply like I would if I still had acne.

I wash with a milk or creme cleanser I do apply my toner and eye cream. I consider the eye cream area the place I don't want to put this product. Or by your nose it will make it super tender. Once my skin is dry about 20 minutes. I do apply a slight bit above my lip but a pin drop. The generic I have has a small tube opening so you don't waste product it's awesome! Any way I work from my forehead down skipping the areas that I don't need it. For me I apply CeravePM almost right after and have had no bad results. I have been doing it for years and it works for me. With this I am seeing more results and less irritation which, I am stoked about. My forehead lines and old scar is so minimal and my acne scars are almost gone. If I do get a monthly spot this product decimates it.

About an hour after the Cerave if I'm still feeling a little dry I'll use KORRES Yogurt Sleeping Mask. I also use Aha's and Mandelic Acid specifically to keep breakouts at bay and give my skin a rest from the RAM. I also got this for 20$ something on MyLashes4Less figure I say that for those who can't afford the co pay or like me my insurance won't cover it. I got it in 2 days and it's a 20gram tube which lasts me about a year the way I use it. So those of you with breakouts or if you're trying to fight time like me I can attest going on 3 years this product works! The only time I had an ill effect is when I put on too much. So stick with it if you're hating it because soon you will love it. I never thought I would love this stuff and I hated my bearded dragon look but all that goes away in time reveling awesome skin.:)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by estubbs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used Retin A (not micro) years ago, and had terrible problems with flaking but had improved texture. Over time, I gave up on it, in particular when I had my two children since RAM is not recommended during pregnancy. I have been struggling for the past 10 years with clogged pores and lots of under skin bumps, along with general mild acne. I finally got it together and went to the derm and asked for Retin A. He prescribed the low-dose gel, RAM .04%. I started slowly and worked up to almost every night over a couple of months. The improvement in texture and clarity is dramatic on my chin and cheeks.

However the forehead, which is a real trouble area for me with lots of clogged pores and bumps under the skin, improved a bit -- but not enough to make me feel happy. I noticed that a reviewer here had recommended increasing the dose when you are acclimated to the low-strength version, so on a 6-month follow up with my derm, I requested RAM .1%. He advised me to use RAM .1% only on the areas where I felt it was needed and to stick with the lower strength for the cheeks and chin, which I am doing. In the evening, after cleansing, I put a small amount of RAM .1% on my forehead and down my nose. Then I use a small amount of RAM .04% on the rest of my face. So far so good, there is some smoothing and some evening of texture in my problem areas. I have only been on the RAM .1% for a couple of weeks, so I am hoping that over the next 5 months I will have better improvement on the forehead.

The great news is that RAM is now available in generic! So, while my original RAM .04% prescription cost a $40 co-pay (after I fought to have it covered at all) back in May 2013, the new prescription for RAM .1% cost only $10 co-pay in November 2013! Now that I am on RAM, I think I will keep using it forever.

The bottom line is that RAM is a godsend for those of us with slow cell turnover and clogged pores. Folks, give it a try (for at least 6 months) to see if it can help you. If you use it slowly and consistently and work up to the full dose, I bet you will be happy with the results!

UPDATE 3/10/14: I found some good benefit from the RAM, but a follow up visit to the dermatologist revealed that some of the bumps weren't responding because they aren't comedones, they are sebaceous hyperplasia. That's a huge bummer because that is a very difficult condition to treat. I have started adding Paula's Choice Resist BHA 9, and so far have had some improvement. I am going to review the PC BHA 9 separately. I hope this new regimin works and will update my review over time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by DameEasy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm into my second month of using Retin A Micro and it has made an amazing difference in my skin. I now use it every night. I wash my face and apply Cerave, then wait about half hour before applying the Retin A Micro. My pores have become noticeably smaller and my scars are fading away. I haven't had a break out in a few weeks now.

A little background. I am 25 years old, male, and have been dealing with acne since I was 17. My skin is also on the oilier side. I have used this product (or a similar Retinoid) when I was younger, but in hindsight it may not have worked because I was using it incorrectly, more on that later. A little more than a year ago, I was on accutane for five months and it was like a miracle drug, up to that point nothing really seemed to worked - including antibiotics... So getting off the pill was a little bittersweet. My skin was fine at least 6 months after but then I began to break out again. I was devastated and my dermatologist prescribing me Retin A Micro did not help my stress - since I remembered what it was like to use topical creams to fight acne before.

This time around though I was determined to find out everything I could before using Retin A Micro. I looked at these boards and found that people had success with applying it half an hour after washing their face and after using a moisturizer like Cerave. The first two weeks I would also use it only every other or third night. Another important element was only to use a pea sized amount, don't overdue it. The first month I did break out, sometimes 2-3 new whiteheads a day (luckily small and not cystic). It was not TOO bad because I think the accutane did a good job of wiping out any acne I had under my skin. I am well into my 7th week using it and have absolutely no regrets. My skin does peel SOMETIMES, but it's almost like a sunburn peel, as in it comes right off and does not leave any redness behind (an no sunburned skin pain). I have not had a single break out in almost three weeks. I also use a Clarisonic face brush 1-2 times a week to exfoliate any dead skin on my face. I feel this prevents my skin from peeling/flaking as much.

The 3rd/4th week I really did feel like this product was not working and I will have to get use to having a face full of acne again...Most will probably experience this so just push through it... Don't overdo it by applying more, just be patient and moisturize. I honestly think if this helped me, with my immensely acne prone skin, it should help MOST others with acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2013 5:14:00 PM More reviews by tinaredfern

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok let me first start out saying that retin -a mirco gel is amazing and it will make your skin beautiful. BELIEVE ME!

But I must warn you retin micro gel will break you out like crazy at first.You will truly truly fill like this product is not working. It brings everything up under your skin. Your skin will be flaky sore and full of pimples that will hurt. The only face wash you can use is cetaphil in the beginning.I hear people say they see results in a few DAYS. That is not possible. The first month u will have a serious breakout by the second month your face will start to get a little better.But it takes a FULL 12 weeks before you really see the results.

So whoever is on this medicine be encourage its not easy.But it definitely worth the wait

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by Jamie222

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I want to share my experience after using retin a micro for almost 14 months. I have been reading reviews on retin a micro for a few months before I finally decided to get a perscription for aging prevention. I have very sensitive oily acne prone skin,99% of all the products I've tried broke me out. Luckily I found that 1% product that stopped my break out when I was 20 years old and I have clear skin since. They consist of a glycolic gel wash, glycolic toner and benzoyal peroxide. I've never wore sunscreen before I start using retin a micro cause everything breaks me out. So i only use those three products for the past 18 years and I have beautiful clear skin and always get compliment from people. I am now 39 years old, no lines or wrinkles but notice my skin started to sag.
So this is what I noticed.
1)I do look younger now, my skin is more firm and smooth.
2) can no longer use the three products above, too dry and irritated for retin a micro. I use trader joe nourishing wash gel, Paula's choice bha 2% toner, md formulation antioxidant lotion ( cheeks only)and comedix SPF 30 spray. If you are not so prone to acne like me , you can find something better for your skin.
3) i have no intitial break out. But i get a few blackheads on my forehead and chin all the time now. I also get break out like one per week on my chin and nose area.
2) I have good and bad days with retin a micro 1%. Sometimes it gets red and irritated and somedays it looks smooth and calm. I tried using it everyday but finally can only take every other day .
3) when I do get a pimple it does goes away quickly, but it will leave a scar( which it never happened before I use retin a , I don't usually get deep scars from pimples)
I didn't notice at first, until I examine my skin closely infront of a mirror. I saw about 6-7 of these deep scar on places where i had pimple. I got so scare that my skin might eventually look like orange peel. I didn't want to give up yet since it did make me look younger .
4) I got a perscription for retin a micro 0.04%. It still make me peel and prevents aging. But gave me more blackheads than the 1% and it doesn't irritate my skin at all. And I have not notice any new scar after a breakout.
Hope this helps!

Update: 10/21/13
I am back at using retin a micro 1%. After trying the 0.04% for about two weeks , I noticed I was getting more and more blackheads and acne. The skin on my forehead didn't peel so it looked very wrinkly. To my surprise, after I tried 0.04% then go back to 1%, my skin can now tolerate 1% much better than before. Less flaking and redness. Just need to be careful when I get a cystic acne cause of the deep scars. I am now trying out a different moisturizer(Md formulations antioxidant comfort cream)and SS(skinceuticals sheer physical UV defense spf50) Will share soon.The moisturizer I am currently using has Lactic acid, it burns when I use it and the SS has only titanium dioxide ,so it's not effective against UVA.

Update: 11/24/13
I stopped using it for two weeks now. At the end, my skin just can't tolerate
It. Also I worried about my skin getting more scars. My skin looks and feel much better now. It's not red and dry anymore. I will try retinol after my skin fully recovers.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2013 1:02:00 PM More reviews by iluvrockie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

So about a month ago I broke out on my cheeks terribly. I went to the dermatologist and they said it was comedonal acne.They performed a pore cleansing, and prescribed Retin A micro for use every OTHER night. Acyana was also prescribed for every morning.

I was a little excited/nervous to try to Retin-A, just based off of different reviews here and other websites. I paid $40 for Retin A (with insurance)

The first week of using this medication (every other night) I first applied the Rein A and then followed with Cerave PM over it. I woke up to VERY dry skin. After I would wash my face, I applied acyana, moisturizer with spf 30 (neutrogena). Around 10AM every morming, my skin would just look so flakey and dry like i could peel the dead skin coming off from it. It really looked bad especially when I wear makeup to cover everything up in the first place. Also, my face broke out in even more small pimples and some inflamed pimples - disgusting :(

I started doing more research and I used a micro fiber cloth in order to take off the dead skin, and it did help. However, at this point of using the Retin A/Acayna mix my face was super sensitive and super dry. It hurt to touch. I made another appointment with my dermatologist and she agreed I needed to stop using both medications and just seriously hydrate my skin. She gave me epicream and bionect to mix and use everyday until my skin healed up.

So after about 2 weeks or so, I started back on Retin -A (only) every other night. I use it, but I put the Cerave PM FIRST and then apply the Retin-A. I also add some coconut oil over my face to help soothe it. No complaints so far, but its only been a week. No peeling, or drying effects. I want to stick it out because I still have the acne, and a bunch of hyperpigmentation left from the acne that errupted after using the Retin-A/Acyana duo before. I heard the result sof this product should be amazing. So lets hope so! I will follow up after a month or so and let you all know my progress.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 9:02:00 AM More reviews by KC29

Love it. Highly reccomend this miracle. I've used it for 6 nights and already the stubborn acne on my forehead is almost gone. It does sting a bit when I put it on my 30 minute dried skin, but I've been using apricot oil in the morning to protect against the crazy drying I've read about. I don't wash my face with a cloth any more, just warm water and ph balanced alba face wash. I used eclos moisturizer for a day, but it stung so bad when I put it on. Sunscreen too, hurt even more. So I'm off to find some better alternatives.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2013 1:26:00 AM More reviews by HanaRose22

I have had bad blackheads && whiteheads for years . I've been on all the medicines my dermatologist could prescribe & I've tried all the over the counter products. This is the only product that has worked. Within a couple of weeks , my acne has gone down , some has disappeared , & when i put it on it feels so soft && amazing ! Like makeup primer. It doesn't dry out my skin too much && If you have a good exfoliant , you won't flake! I use this towel type thing from uwajimaya (you can get it at most asian stores) & it exfoliates my skin so well && I feel brand new. Using both these products.. My acne has gotten a lot better. I use Hard Candy Glamoflauge && I look flawless. With my acne before this product , it was so swollen you could still see it. Now it's like i've never had any blemishes ever <3 I LOVE IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by MiladyMalady

I have been battling acne since my late teens. I'm 24 now and have a pizza face with extra toppings...well..I should say HAD thanks to this little tube of awesomeness! My dermatologist prescribed me with this to go along with the other things i was using and not getting the best results with (doxycycline pills, clindamycine and differin gel) I must say that just 4 weeks after adding Retin A to my regime, my skin has DRASTICALLY changed, I hardly need any makeup now! I did NOT purge although , most likely thanks to the other drugs i had been using months before starting the Retin A, although, my skin has been much dryer than usual but moisturizer helps with that.

My regimen:
Morning: Take my Doxycycline pill
Wash face with Dove Sensitive Skin bar, Pat dry
apply thin layer of Clindamycine
Moisturize with Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30

Right now use Loreal BB cream and Olay/cover girl pressed power foundation OR just Maybelline Cover Stick, these are ALL non-comedogenic (super important)

Night: Take my Doxycycline pill
Wash face with Dove Sensitive Skin bar, Pat dry
Apply thin layer of Retin A (avoid around lips and eyes, I learned this the hard way.)
Sleep

Every other night I use the differin gel instead of the Retin A to lessen the harshness of it. Super happy with this miracle skin ointment and will definitely keep with it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 11:08:00 AM More reviews by sashiyoungs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had acne for about 3 years. I started getting acne my senior year in college and I never had horrible acne in high school only the occasional 1 or 2 pimples that went away with over the counter products. In the last couple of years I have been getting cystic acne mainly on my cheeks. I was desperate to find something that would help me quickly because I am getting married next month in late September. July 3 2013, I started using Retin a micro .1% (I used the generic brand tretinoin) because I had seen so many positive benefits/reviews of it. I'm so glad I I did because it's been only 6 weeks and I have hardly any acne! The acne on my cheeks is gone and now my skin is so smooth however I am left with a lot of acne scars on my cheeks.

I have noticed if I do get a pimple I can put Retin A on it and it goes away much quicker than it used to. I have also noticed that my skin is less oily. There was a little initial breakout period for me for the first 3 weeks but I had read that before so I wasn't worried. Your skin in the beginning will peel and may hurt like it did for me but after 4 weeks my skin had adjusted to the Retin A Micro. Now I'm looking for something to get rid of the acne scars but at least I don't have to worry about pimples that can't be covered by makeup. At the bottom I will tell you what I used in with conjunction to Retin A micro along with my morning and night routine.

Products I have used before Retin A Micro that didn't work was Differin .3%, Azithromycin (antibiotics), Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion (skin became resistant to this), and Benzaclin. I also tried Murad, Proactiv, Exposed Skincare, Peter Thomas Roth Acne System, and Boscia 3 step acne system.

Night Routine:
-Minocycline 45mg oral antibiotics 1 tablet at night
-Fresh Soy Face Cleanser (expensive but worth it about $38, it's so gentle which you need to be when you use Retin A Micro!) Great at removing makeup also
-It's very important that you wait 30 minutes for your face to dry before putting on Retin A Micro
-Use a pea size amount of Retin A Micro for your whole face. I only used it though where I had acne
-Go to sleep

Morning Routine:
-Drink 1 cup of Yogi Skin Detox Tea
-Wash face with Nelson's skin clearing face wash (very gentle and natural)
-Use Yes to Tomatoes daily balancing moisturizer and let it soak in for 10mins
-I usually use bare minerals makeup

UPDATE: 04/11/14.
I stopped taking Minocycline in October and still continued using Retin A Micro. My face was staying clear for about 3 months after that (through the end of January). In February I started getting my severe cheek acne again. Started taking Aldactone (50mg once a day)-I began this in 3/2014 and I've only been on the Aldactone for 3 weeks. Acne is getting worse and in places that I usually don't get acne such as the jawline/chin/and hairline. I went to my doctor today and she says that I should get back on the Minocycline because she thinks that's what was helping my acne before. I got the Minocycline today and will start taking it again. I'll update this in a few months.