Clinique color surge butter shine - fresh watermelon

4.4

on 3/7/2008 11:44:00 AM

Buttershine is a pinky-red with slight shimmer. It's a sheer, buildable colour and when applied, it feels like a lip balm and really moisturises your lips and also giving you a bit of a gloss. It is very much a combination of gloss and lipstick. I really love it and I think Buttershine is a perfect way of describing this collection of lipstick from Clinique.
On my lips it is perhaps about two shades darker and to me and gives me a bit of a stained look. I really love this colour because I am always on the hunt for a lipstick that I can wear during the day, not dramatic and similar to my natural lip colour (I'm chinese so unlike one of the other reviews, It actually does suit me and I don't find it too pink/fuschia at all). As it's quite sheer anyway I think it would suit anyone, Go out and buy it!

on 9/16/2007 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this color and texture! It is the color of a babies perfect lips-like a cherub!

on 4/25/2007 4:52:00 AM

I really love the colour and texture of this l/s. It applies like a really soft silky balm with sheer red colour and looks like a gloss on the lips. Really brightens up my face without being dramatic, and very pretty for the spring/summer. The formula rehydrates the lips really well (actually, Clinique has some very good quality l/s IMHO) and the bamboo packaging is chic. Only drawback is it doesn't last very long on my lips, but we can't win can we?

Got this as a GWP, for a freebie it's not half bad... moisturising, sheer lipcolour in a bright, bright watermelon-flesh colour (red with coral-pink undertones).. seemed to smear everywhere on me and didn't last long, and I wasn't keen on the texture, which seemed kinda greasy, well, yes, "butter like".... I much prefer the MAC lustre lipsticks if I'm wanting this kinda thing (a sheer pop of moisturising colour) but this wasn't bad... MAC lustre in Lustering is MUCH nicer IMHO is all.

on 12/29/2006 1:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I will admit that I was initally shocked at how much of a vibrant pink this is. Most of the reviews indicate that this is a red-pink, and I upon application, I was shocked to see how much of the red in this shade is lost on me. I have a warm, medium skintone, and "Fresh Watermelon" is nothing less than a sheer, vibrant, 80's loud-mouth pink. This doesn't, however, make this any less of a beautiful shade. My best description for it's appearance on my lips would be "juicy" - a seductive pink which looks much more alluring on the lips than it does in the tube. As a matter of fact - it looks nothing like it does in the tube, as even the "spit glitter" which if obvious when you take off the cap is barely noticable upon application (thank goodness). So, how to wear this color? With a disclaimer. I haven't found this to be the best of daily pinks, but as beautiful colors go, they're mostly worn on account of a certain mood. This one pairs best as a substitute for rose-colored glasses. Everything looks and feels better with bright pink lipstick. It's the gosh-darn truth.

on 10/17/2006 3:02:00 PM

For the first time i wanted a red l/s and i chose this one. And i'm happy with my choice, this is a bright red-pink color that suits with my cool pale skin tone. It moisturizes well but staying power is not the best(stays like 2 hours). I was hesitant to try reddish lip colors. Although this color looks scary it goes rather sheer, and you can build color as well.

on 9/9/2006 2:23:00 AM

Didn't buy this but tried it at the store twice. I'm pale, Chinese descent, with golden/yellow undertones but a marked preference for coolish colours. Warm colours make me look old and orange. Fresh Watermelon was bright pinkish red, almost slightly fuschia on me. After some consideration and comparing it to A Dozen Roses, I picked A Dozen Roses - Fresh Watermelon looked a little "cheap" possibly because it was too bright and garish. Sorry to spoil a perfect score so far...

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Pretty color. It is a pink-red watermelon color ... heavy on the red. It is a very wearable red though because of it's pink undertones which tone it down a little. It is very glossy and sheer too - color is buildable. I like it! :)

on 4/26/2006 7:20:00 PM

This lipstick has the perfect consistency. It's very moisturizing and glossy, which makes it easy to wear, but it's not as goopy as a typical gloss. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

I love the color. It looks extremely bright in the tube, but I find that it looks very natural on my lips. Like everyone else has said, it is a pinky red, the color of watermelon! If you have fair skin with bluish undertones and dark hair like I do, it definitely provides that snow white look.

I have been wearing lipstick since I was thirteen! I am obsessed with lipstick! And this is the only one I wear right now...I think it might be my HG!

on 3/27/2006 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this color and the way it feels on my lips! Very moist!

Recommended for Medium Skin