September 30, 2014 | 1528 users online

Fragrances - Jovan - Woman

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2009 5:32:00 AM More reviews by hadas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My grandmother, Kay (bless you, wherever you are), wore this as her signature scent. As a child in the 1980s, I would visit Grandma in So. California and every time I would come near or give her a hug, I would marvel at her incredible scent. She smelled like soapy yet leathery rosey-spicy-amber-wood. It blended with her chemistry so well that it became more than the sum of its notes; it just smelled like it could be her own lovely natural smell, not really perfumey at all. It smelled sooo delicious. It was one of the only perfumes that made a positive impression on me as a child. I've always remembered that she once told me that perfume was called Woman. So as an adult, after Grandma had passed on, I stumbled upon this perfume at K-Mart and purchased it. I now wear it -- not as my signature scent, as she did, but fairly often nevertheless. It always makes me feel like she's close at hand when I catch of whiff of Jovan Woman wafting up from my wrist, although truly I don't wear it as well as she did. Her chemistry worked magic upon this scent. It is truly a stunner; after the strong opening notes dry down for 30 minutes or so, it evolves into this soft, dry woody-floral that is VERY distinctive and lovely. Although not technically a chypre (there are no citrus topnotes and no oakmoss in the base), Jovan Woman definitely reads as a chypre, with its complex and unique spicy, woody floral accord. Give it a whirl, you may enjoy it and, if you're lucky, might have the chemistry to make it sing as my grandmother did.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 1:03:00 AM More reviews by brownie_953

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Jovan Woman (in the dark brown plastic cap) is a scent that I've gone back and forth to, over the past 20 years or so. It's an unabashed oriental that has never been given its due and probably never been advertised; but clearly must have a following because you can find some bottles tucked in the glass shelves of some pharmacies, Kmart and Walmart.

I've received so many compliments from men, when wearing Jovan Women! It's an inexpensive man-magnet (though I'm not sure if really young guys would dig it, as their scent buds have been raised differently than men 40 plus).

If you want a nice cold weather scent and/or 'night' scent for just a few dollars, Jovan Woman (in the dark brown plastic cap) is worth it to check out.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2008 2:29:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

i have worn jovan musk since high school. it's the only perfume i have gone back to consistently. yrs can go by where i don't own any, then i sniff it on someone or see that familiar orange cap (with the vertical ridges) and i want it all over again. i am never disappointed and wonder why i hadn't used it more recently? i had not known about jovan woman, or rather, i really thought everything with an orange cap was the same. i bought this based on reviews here. i got 2 bottles, one larger, one smaller (i forget the ounces), at rite aide last week for $14.99. i gave the smaller away as a gift to someone who also loves jovan musk but had not heard of this as being different than that, either.

i smell that old "jovan" not to be mistaken for anything else, scent right off the bat. but this is deeper, more intense, not as light, as it is much stronger. it's hard to do plain ol' jovan musk, but jovan for women in 2 squirts can be too much. i do like it a lot. the other is still my favorite. it's universally liked it seems, never offensive to anyone's nose, people will just say you smell great. this will not be to everyone's liking in the same way. i think they both have similar lasting power. this is more sophisticated and grown up than the other jovan, in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2008 11:30:00 PM More reviews by mametsuki

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am a total perfume geek. I look for the unattainable and the exotic. Vintage Shalimar, Tabac Blond, real ambergris to use along with my perfumes to make them stronger and more intense.
That said, I LOVE this product. It is a heady mix of disco sweat from the 1980's, Tabac Blond and Jolie Madame. And then again, it's nothing at all like anything I have ever smelled. Try it. It's cheap and if you don't like it, someone you know will love you for giving it to them!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2008 10:44:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Someone I worked with used to wear this. I'm glad I had asked her the name because I had always liked how our office smelled. It's strong stuff, easy to overdo. It's not a sweet perfume, it's very dry and a little smoky but very warm without having amber or patchouli as obvious notes. I think there might be a leather note in there too. This is a loud and proud fragrance, cheap and classic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2008 11:57:00 AM More reviews by Gretchen76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I had never heard of this offering by Jovan until I joined MUA. Up until then, I hadn't really found anything by Jovan which I liked, mostly because I associated Jovan only with their line of musks. Musk generally doesn't work for me, though I have tried. I saw reviews for "Woman" and was intruigued. There is not much information out there on this, howver, Jovan's website does list it. My local Kmart offers it, but after some recent customer service issues with them, I figured I would never get to try "Woman" out for myself.
However, a few weeks ago I was in my local Rite-Aid and lo and behold, there it was, a bottle of "Woman" on display, 2 oz. for $14.99 with a $4.00 off coupon stuck to it (how often does THAT happen?) To make a long story short, after much debate with myself, I caved in. I got in my car and immediately put a small spritz on my wrist- wow! It reminds me of a Paloma Picasso, Aromatics Elixir, and Cabochard and others I can't name at the moment. It's VERY dry, not sweet at all (which is just fine with me), chypre, I detect no floral in this. Though it is only cologne strength, it lasts more than a couple hours on me, with lovely sillage.
Thank you to the ladies of MUA for putting this one out there and your helpful reviews!
I suggest if you live near a Rite-Aid, go try this out. You won't be sorry!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2007 1:55:00 PM More reviews by philprof

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm on my second bottle of this--its not so easy to find (Kmart).
Woman is a very pleasant surprise--cheap in price yet reminiscent of more expensive scents. It is a spicy-warm-musky-chypre scent that melds beautifully with the skin. Lovely. A great alternative to the all the sweet fruity stuff that's out there these days. This is a winner and a great buy!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2007 10:08:00 PM More reviews by mochasplash

i love the smell of this perfume. it's very unique and well priced...
not over powering or under scented.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2006 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Cally79

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well Glamdiva you haven't steered me wrong yet and I picked this one up today and I love it! I think it's just lovely.
I'll go with the four lippies for now and update soon after testing it out a while. Great scent for a mere pitance!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2005 9:19:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Jovan Woman with the chocolate brown cap is a chypre from the old school.
Don't let the house and price fool you. Woman could just as well be a Balmain or a Rochas. I'd call
Woman a powdery rose chypre. The leather comes up stronger in the drydown, but in a feminine way. Lovers of Fendi, Azuree,
Eau de Soir, Parfum Sacre, Femme Rochas, Royal Secret, Cuir de Russie, Miss Balmain, or Avon Unforgettable may want to give this Woman a whirl.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No