September 1, 2014 | 1494 users online

Blush - Wet 'n' Wild - Silk Finish Heather Silk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you're thinking about purchasing this blush, go for it :) It's a stunning, 100% matte, plummy pink shade that is super inexpensive. Very similar in coloring to NARS Mata Hari (not a dupe by any means, but definitely in the same color family..) In other words I feel like if you like Mata Hari, chances are you'll also like Heather Silk, & vice versa.

For reference I have 30 yr old, very pale skin with mostly neutral undertones that lean slightly warm (If I wore MAC I'd currently wear N10. But at my darkest I can pull off NC15) I also have oily/acne prone skin, dark brown hair, & dark brown eyes.

I own all 4 of the WnW Blushes and Heather Silk is my favorite by far. It's the most pigmented (almost too pigmented to be honest, I have to be especially careful with my application of Heather Silk) &It's the only one that is completely, one hundred percent matte. &It is also the most flattering shade of the four on my personal skintone.

Application - Unfortunately application of this shade isn't "fool proof" :( It takes a little work or a lot of practice to get it just right, especially on fairer skintones (like my own). I take a large fluffy brush (ELF's Mini Kabuki or Walmart's "High Definition" Face Powder Brush are two inexpensive options) -lightly swirl the brush around on the blush, dab it on the back of my hand first, apply on the apples of my cheeks then blend back and slightly upwards from there.
It is easy for me to get "clown cheeks" from this blush if I'm not careful.. (not a good look lol) If I use a brush that's too dense/picks up too much product, if I don't dab it on the back of my hand first, or if I don't blend it out well that can happen.. BUT, after a lot of trial&error I've figured out how to fix it if I've applied too much. If I look in the mirror & think: "EEK! I've applied wayy too much blush!!" I can just take a clean/different blush brush (not the one I just applied it with, usually a more dense brush) then blend blend blend. After that, take a large cotton ball and lightly rub or dab it on the areas where there is too much blush &Viola!!
Luckily I haven't had to use the "cotton ball method" in quite a while as a lot of practice has gotten me pretty good with applying this but in a pinch, the cotton ball thing WORKS ;)
Since this is a "bolder" blush, I like it best for just using on the apples of my cheeks paired with a contour powder. First I'll apply L'Oreal True Match Pressed Powder in C7/Nut Brown in a "contouring" manner (on/under the cheekbone & blended inwards). &That simply adds a little definition to my face and some color. Then, Heather Silk is one of my favorite blushes to use/pair with it. It meshes very well with that "Nut Brown" shade that I use for contouring & gives me face an awake, sculpted, and natural look (I'm very into "natural" cheeks - I like to wear strong eye makeup most days so I can't go over the top with cheeks. The above method works great for me)
Of course I've also used it many many times without pairing it with a contour powder, that has just become my favorite way of wearing it so I wanted to share :)
As I said above, I have oily & acne/clog-prone skin and this blush does NOT fade away or start to look "patchy" after several hours of wear (like many blushes do on oily skin) And it also hasn't given me any issues with breakouts/clogged pores (Yay!)

Price/Availability - The WnW powder blushes are priced between $2.99 - $3.99 at my local stores. But CVS, Walgreens, & RiteAid VERY often put WnW products on sale/clearance making these blushes even more inexpensive! (For example all WnW was 40% off at my RiteAid last wk.- I stocked up on Silk Finish lipsticks lol ;D) If you check your local weekly "flyers" or their websites before making a shopping trip you can easily find out which place will have them for the least amt. of money :)
In my area (southwestern PA, USA) Wet 'n Wild is available at all CVS stores, all Walgreens', all RiteAid's, one of my KMart stores, and at one of my three local WalMarts.
Now onto the packaging.. well.. it's kinda meh. I rated "Packaging Quality" a 2 simply because these blushes are very fragile (just like WnW's eye shadows!) so I feel like they should come in a more sturdy compact.. The "old" WnW Silk Finish Blushes came in square, silver compacts with a little clear window on the front to see the shade. But more recently they've repackaged them in rectangular black compacts with completely clear lids. I like the way the compacts LOOK, I just don't like that they're not as sturdy.. (My "Mellow Wine" blush from this line got broken in my purse, so be careful if you take any of these traveling!)
The brush that comes with is pretty terrible though.. Not THE most terrible brush that I've seen included with a drugstore blush, but not ideal for even application. I do imagine it'd work in a pinch, if you just needed to dab a little on your cheeks then could blend with your fingers maybe? But overall I'd recommend investing in a better brush for a blush like this. There are inexpensive ones that will do a nice job (like several between $1-$3 from ELF, or WalMart's HD face brushes which are approx $7 - both mentioned above) :)

Overall, WnW has truly stepped up their game over the past several years! I remember as a teenager going m/u shopping with my girlfriends at the drugstores, we never even looked in the direction of WnW. These days the WnW display is the first thing I wana check out! ;)
All of their blushes are great, but Heather Silk gets 5 well deserved lippies from me =)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 11:15:00 PM More reviews by mirageangelhope

This is a nice pinkish purple color.This is a super smooth textured blush great color a little shimmer.
I agree with the reviews about this blush being almost too pigmented i find the same with berry shimmer but not with pearliscant pink.On days where I had red cheeks this looked horrible so if that you I'd try the pink shade
The only thing i don't like is that i don't find that this shade goes on evenly I find it to be patchy but love the other 2 shades that I do have which apply perfectly

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by helloroo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As others have said, this is an extremely pigmented blush..almost too pigmented even with a stippling brush. Yet I think this is a universal color - pigmented enough for darker skin tones and if you could find a way to use this light enough it would be gorgeous on light and medium skin tones. I like that it is one of the few matte drugstore options out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2013 8:05:00 PM More reviews by camille002

extra extra extra pigmented so be careful, the first time i used it i ended up looking like a clown cause i didnt expect the color to show up so bright on my cheeks
a little bit goes a looooong way!
great colour though, and extremely cheap!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

This blush is such a pretty colour however on light skin needs to be applied very gently. Not an everyday colour for me but when i'm feeling a little more dramatic its perfect. The price is great and their new packing is sleek and compares to more expensive brands. I'm constentley being amazed by the quality of wet n wild makeup. Good for them bringing such great quality cosmetics at affordable costs to people who cant always afford department store brands.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by bbybreanna

VERY pigmented... maybe a little too pigmented lol. this is a very warm pink, maybe even "hot pink" in the pan. applied to my nw25 skin, it's a bright pink. i like mixing it with benefit hoola bronzer.
when using your brush in the pan, powder flies out and might make a mess. but to me, it wasn't much of a big deal. it lasts a long time on my face and i recommend not reapplying throughout the day because of its strong pigmentation.
i got this for $2.99 at cvs... it's such a great deal on an amazing, long lasting smooth pigmented blush. i recommend this to anyone. i think there are two other shades and i definitley want to pick those up sometime soon.
there is no fragrance. i have acne prone skin and this did NOT break me out.
the only con would probably be the cheap plastic clear packaging... but it can be dealt with.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by jessadores

I don't know why I haven't written a review on this yet. All I can say is if you have not tried it you should. Its only $3 and even has better pigmentation than some of my more expensive blushes and it is very pretty. It looks like a dusty rose/ berry color to me. It is a matte blush and a light hand is needed for this. It is especially perfect for fall and winter. The only thing I don't like, which is true IME about wet n wild in general, once you get closer to the pan or even if you drop it once the products crumble. However, I am far from hitting pan on this and if it ever does crumble I would replace it without hesitation.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2012 10:35:00 AM More reviews by austere

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I normally purchase nude, peach, orange or coral blushes but I wanted to try out a pink blush for a change. I'd been avoiding pink blushes as I had assumed they wouldn't flatter my warm, golden NC42 skin tone. I saw this product online and decided to try it out figuring that since it was so cheap, if it turned out to be an unflattering color it wouldn't be a big waste.I was pleasantly surprised that this actually looked good against my complexion so no regrets here. I was also impressed with the pigmentation and will be using this one frequently. If I want a more peachy color, I can achieve this by using it on top of my WnW Princess bronzer. This is another great product from Wet n Wild.

ETA: The only reason I've deducted a star here is because although you get a generous amount of product (6.5grams) the packaging is a little too bulky which makes it less than ideal for travelling.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 1:11:00 AM More reviews by kuteazabutton

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love Heather Silk! Its a great shade and is highly pigmented so you get great quality in using a dab of the product! I have medium toned skin and it shows great, gives me a healthy cute pink glow to my cheeks! perfect colour!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Meech25

LOVE this blush.
The quality is better than some of my MAC blushes!
The product is very soft, so just dab you brush in it once or twice. Do not swirl the brush in the product, you will get too much.
This blush is super pigmented, very pretty pink color.
If you put to much on its very easy to buff out with a kabuki or blush brush.
It's only $2.99 but worth way more. Highly reccomend!