April 23, 2014 | 1895 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2013 6:14:00 AM More reviews by FeralCreature

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE: Since originally trying Alima in Cool 2, I've switched to Neutral 1. Partly because I like to neutralize the pink/red tones I have and partly because I have trouble figuring out my undertones and think I am neutral than I originally thought. Still works as well, but seems to match my skin even better.

To jump start this review, here is the product description and ingredients list from Alima Pure:

Alima Pure Satin Matte Mineral Foundation is hypoallergenic -- it goes on easy and feels like nothing at all, naturally. It evens out your skin tone, enhances your complexion and reduces the appearance of fine lines and pores. And, with 61 shades, there's a match for just about everyone.

Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). Nothing more.

Okay, with that out of the way, the selling point for me when I chose to try this foundation was the ingredients list - no bismuth oxychloride, which makes my face red and itchy, no lauroyl lysine or other coconut derivatives, which clog my pores and break me out like crazy and really nothing but minerals. Exactly what I was looking for. I am also really impressed by the color selection and how easy the Alima website makes it to find your match. You can start by selecting your shade: fair, light, medium, medium deep, or deep. Then your undertone: cool, neutral, beige, warm, golden or olive. Clicking on your selection narrows down their 61 colors to just those that fit what you're looking for. I ended up choosing Cool 2, but if you're not 100% certain of which color works for you, Alima offers a sample kit where you can choose 4 different shades to try and many of the other online retailers that sell Alima Pure products offer samples as well.
So, I applied my new foundation with my favorite flat-top kabuki brush. The first thing I noticed was that it was an absolutely perfect match for my skin which is a first for me. The container allows a lot of control over how much product you shake out of the sifter and the powder applies easily and blends well. On top of totally dry skin, I still got the powdery look most powder foundations give me, so I tried applying while my moisturizer hadn't quite finished soaking in and it was perfect - exactly what "satin matte" should be; not shiny, just a bit dewy. I found that with either application method I could layer anywhere from a light dusting to multiple coats and get exactly the coverage I wanted from ultra-light to completely full coverage.
As for staying power, this foundation has the best of any mineral foundation I've ever tried and even beats many liquid and cream foundations in the longevity arena. With no primer or setting powder, I didn't have to touch up until about 5 hours into my work shift, and even then it was just a couple spots where my skin is most prone to oiliness and redness that needed any help.With a primer underneath (I usually just use a bit of aloe but have also tried this foundation over samples of other primers) and setting powder on top (I've used Silk Naturals Perfecting Powder or Ultimate Luxury Powder, Alima finishing powder, plain pearl powder and a couple different Jane Iredale powders) and a quick spritz of hydrosol to finish the whole look, I didn't need to touch up at all. Seriously, not even once from application to removing my makeup before bed.
I imagine it goes without saying, but Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation gets a full 5 lippies from me. I would recommend it to anyone and feel pretty certain you'll find a great color match and love this stuff as much as I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by Naataliie

After having a massive breakout, I started to search for more natural makeup, and ended up ordering Alima Pure's Satin Matte Foundation. There are so many shades to choose from, and there's actually a shade that suits my NC5-10 skin; I use neutral 1, but could probably get away with neutral 0 too.

I have acne scars and lots of redness and PIH, but this foundation covers it amazingly along with the Alima Pure concealer. The foundation doesn't cover my very dark PIH left from acne completely, but it covers any lighter redness amazingly, which is perfect for me because I hate my makeup to look like a mask.

I use it without primer or setting powder and it probably lasts 4-5 hours without getting too shiny, and I have a very oily t-zone so this is some kind of miracle.

I do find it gets cakey if I do put a thicker layer than I need on - but I've discovered that I need less than 1/4 tsp to cover the whole of my face which I put on in two very sheer layers, and then go back with a concealer brush and dot it on any blemishes.

The routine I use of their concealer, then foundation on my whole face, then foundation dotted on my blemishes covers any small whiteheads I may have so that you can't see them unless using my 10x magnification mirror. This is the first concealer/foundation I've found that does this while still looking natural.

Sometimes my skin is extremely dry/flaky in places from using benzoyl peroxide on blemishes, and I find that even if I use of good moisturiser beforehand, this foundation does highlight the dryness a little.

Despite the few things that aren't perfect about this foundation, I've given it 5 stars because it's pale enough for me without having to mix it (hallelujah!) and it hasn't broken me out whatsoever in the few weeks of using it. In fact, my skin seems to be calmer and less inflamed since I started using it - probably because I'm not putting loads of nasty chemicals on it anymore. I love it so much I've ordered more of their products to try from their website.

Highly recommended!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2013 4:57:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I'm on a hunt for the perfect MMU and currently deciding whether I want to order the full size of this. It's definitely better than Bare Minerals and Laura Mercier MMU but not perfect.

Shades: Thumbs up. very intricate color system. Not just your standard yellow vs. pink undertones, but they delve into golden, olive, etc. Beware that the Golden line is extremely yellow. You might want to order a sample of the same shade level in Warm or Olive as well, in case the Golden line is too Simpsons-like on you. I am a neutral leaning NC25 and Warm 3 is probably the best shade for me, although I liked the Golden 4 as a neutralizer for my ruddy face.

Wear: Thumbs down. Although the finish is more or less matte, it controlled oil poorly and moreover did not react well to the oil that broke out on my face. I guess I should've expected this with a powdery consistency, but it got cakey and almost...dough-like (gross!). Looked especially unflattering around the sides of the nostrils. My attempts to touch up just made it worse. This is not a very buildable MMU.

Finish, coverage & consistency: On the fence about this one. It's matte and more on the dry side, but I could see a bit of the satin texture that the company claims. Looked natural enough to me. Coverage is medium-full. Took me 3-4 layers to cover my freckles and scars, and after that it looked cakey. Because this is drier than Bare Minerals, it's hard to get it to adhere to the face without a primer (what's the point of using POWDER foundation if you have to use a liquid/gel primer underneath?). Without using a primer, this did not accentuate pores but it didn't really blur them either. This did not work well with any blush that I applied. For some reason, pigmented powder on pigmented powder doesn't seem to go together well. My blush appeared very patchy no matter what I tried.

I'm still impressed by the color system so I'm not going to dismiss it just yet. I want to try Meow Cosmetics, which apparently has an even more intricate color system. But I get so impatient waiting for these samples to come in the mail from all these companies. Overall, I'd recommend this for those more on the oily side due to the matte finish, although it's not going to hold up well throughout the day.

EDIT: Lowered to two stars. Now I am realizing how much this sucks onto pockmarks and pores. So this is not better than Bare Minerals after all.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/24/2013 4:29:00 AM More reviews by Dealsearcher

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great color selection. Simple ingredients. However, performance, feel, and lasting power lacking, at least for me personally (as everyone is unique with unique skin).
my skin type&tone: Sensitive, acne-prone, oily-combination, large pores, acne scars; olive-yellow undertone, light-medium to medium.

Duration of use: two weeks

Color choice:Despite the great color selection, I still fell in between olive 1/5 and olive 2. Wish I did not have to mix it.

coverage: medium, buildable-full

First impression: very powdery on first application, yet drags on skin at times. (however with all mineral makeup, I waited 30 min to truly judge finish after it has melted into skin properly).

After 30 min: looks beautiful, second skin, smooth, matte to satin finish

After 2 hours: dewy but looks nice, HOWEVER feels greasy and oily (even with the primer &finish powder; without primer was even oilier), my hair would get stuck a little to my face b/c of makeup. Not too pleasant. Felt like makeup transfer with my hands or clothing etc.

After 4+ hours: makeup either melted too much/too absorbed into my pores or rubbed off via transfer that merely 10% of makeup left on my face. Blush was GONE (I put a fair amount of bright Apricot matte blush).

notes: also broke out but will update later to see if it was really due to the makeup.

Recap: like the company b/c it is very professional, the color choices are great but you may still need to mix. :/ the lasting power was short, performance was moderate, and feel was at first nice but then greasy. GREASY is the main take-away here (for me). Sorry alima, I will just use up the samples I purchased but won't be ordering again.

UPDATE: 9.25.13
I have been using this for quite sometime and I am pretty sure this breaks me out. Tiny whitehead bumps everywhere. That turn into inflamed pimples. So for the price, inconvenience of online-only availability, the hassle of shaking the powder and swirl and tap and apply (I love mineral makeup but after using it for so long prefer pressed ones), and the underperformance of product I just do not want to repurchase. I dont get why it breaks me out, sorry Alima, in theory everything was great. Just not a product for me.

UPDATE: 3.8.14
So I went to get a facial yesterday and the esthetician and I were discussing mineral makeup and she told me that mica, if too micro in size will clog skin with large pores, especially combination or oily skin, so she avoids mica in general because mica is just used for luminescence so those with acne prone skin and/or large pores wouldn't want the sheen as this highlights these features, and mica is used as a filler mainly. So it is probably the slightly too small sized mica in Altima makeup that is clogged my pores and made me break out like crazy.....

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2013 2:11:00 PM More reviews by manny1996

I wanted to love this, but it wasn't meant to be. I was oily all over within two hours of applying the primer and foundation. The color selection was great and it didn't break me out at all, but I'll be going back to glominerals because of the oiliness.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2013 9:06:00 AM More reviews by bubbelytoes

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

EDIT:
Alright, so I am quite certain this was causing tons of tiny bumps all over my face, especially my forehead, cheekbones, and chin. Which, I guess is pretty much all over my face. At any rate, tons of bumps, itchy ones at that, on my face. When I switched over to a different foundation, they were gone in less than 24 hours. I really liked the natural look this provided. My skin just does not tolerate it. I was hopeful, since this has so few ingredients, that it would work better than all the other mineral foundations I've tried. The search continues...

Original review:
I love this powder. It is so light and airy, as though you aren't wearing anything! My skin is very sensitive. VERY. I have to add in one product at a time if I'm trying something new. Previously, I used Jane Iredale's pressed powder mineral foundation, and it quit working for me. I'm so glad I found Alima Pure. I apply with a brush similar to Alima Pure's Kitten brush. The buildable coverage is great for those of us who don't like super-heavy coverage. The new and improved travel lid is brilliant. I live in a humid climate, and this doesn't streak or cake. It melts beautifully into my somewhat oily skin. My only complaint is the color selection, which sounds ludicrous, I know. After much trial, error, and many, many samples, I came to Warm 0 and Warm 1. Warm 0 is a pretty perfect match, but if I apply too much, it gives a whitish cast. I love the additional yellow in Warm 1, but it is either too dark itself or it oxidizes darker on my skin. Honestly, I think it is the latter, as I have this problem with all foundations. Currently, I go back and forth between the two. I have a feeling I'll be ordering a sample of Golden 0 soon to see if that's a good go-between Warm 0 and Warm 1 for me. At any rate, order up some samples if you're not ready to commit to a full-size. Despite my nit-pickiness on the colors, their range color range is something to behold. They are certified pure, cruelty-free, and the customer service is amazing.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by Tashi09

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

When I first found out about Alima Pure, I was intimidated by the color choices. I have always had a lot of trouble determining my undertone. But I honed in on the right shade pretty easily -- thanks to a YouTube video by a natural cosmetics store owner. Dark skinned herself, she said "Almost everyone who walks into my store in LA is Beige 2 or Beige 3." That really helped -- sure enough, I am Beige 2. Warm 2 is too yellow, Cool 2 is too pink, and Neutral 2 is a weird ashy shade against my neck. I thought Beige 2 might be a tad light, but Beige 3 was a little dirty looking on me. And Bingo! $6.00 on samples, and I had a winner. Wonderful customer service, wonderful product. It builds up slowly to a very nice finish. Sometimes I feel unhappy with the coverage (or is it the staying power?), but that probably means I should have taken a little more time with it.

I did transfer mine to an old Lancome jar, because a sifter top is pretty essential to me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by secondadonna

Thank you to all the users on the makeup board who have posted about Alima foundation -- it's a hassle for me to obtain and I wouldn't have bothered without these positive comments. I'm so glad I took the trouble, because it's fantastic.

First of all, the match between Neutral 0 and my winter skin is spot on. I might buy Neutral 1 for the summer. It is a thrill to be considering a shade up from the lightest! Foundation is a real struggle for me, since so many excellent formulas simply don't make a shade anywhere close to my skintone.

It's also longlasting and a lovely finish on my annoying combo skin. I recently tested all my foundations (about seven on the go) and Alima was easily the winner on all counts but coverage. It's fast and easy to apply (I use it with a kabuki, over moisturizer with SPF and concealer for dark areas like under eyes), goes on smoothly and is buildable. It lasts longer than anything else I use without needing touching up with powder -- that includes other mineral foundations, MAC Studio Fix, Revlon Colorstay, MUFE Mat Velvet+. When it does get a little shiny, it doesn't look greasy, just dewy (but I hate dewy, so I use a touch-up powder). It doesn't settle into lines much and doesn't look dry, OR overly shiny, the way some mineral brands can. And for the first time ever, I'm not using a setting powder. It looks fine -- really "satin matte" -- and lasts the same number of hours without. Skipping step is wonderful on rushed days.

I do find the coverage to be about medium with my kabuki, not truly full, though varying the application could change that. I've used it with a concealer brush on spots and it does get closer to full coverage that way. A paddle foundation brush also gives slightly more, but I like the finish and speed of the kabuki much better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

One thing that makes me angry about mineral makeup is the mess but eventually, the good ones like this brand, make a great difference. Having said that and in comparison with the other mineral foundations, I love this product. Make sure you get some samples before ordering. Golden shades were too yellow for me although I am NC30 according to MAC. One huge advantage to this brand is the color range. I found my match to be Olive 3. Who would have known? The point is that while other brands try to put it in a category of either pink or yellow and then by force, you need to stick with the shade, this brand makes more sense. RIP Prescriptive Custom Liquid Foundation was the same but it got discontinued. The other big advantage to this brand is that the minerals do not sit in one area and they spread pretty well. The final look is great and polished and completely natural. Also, the mineral particles are soft and meltable upon application. Overall, this is a great foundation that meets my high standards.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese yellow toned, acne discoloration to cover!

To be fair, I am not the target market for mineral makeup.. large pores, uneven texture, and discoloration to cover. Doesn't cover at all for me, just looks like powder(ery mess when I try to apply more and more)... would be great for more even skin textures, probably the same people who wear tinted moisturizers and look fab in it. :)

For reference, Golden 3 was too yellow or dark for my NC25 skin.. if I had liked the product enough to figure it out, I would order samples in Warm 2 & 3, Golden 2 & 3 and mix and match from there.