October 22, 2014 | 1961 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2013 7:23:00 PM More reviews by oohlalasamira

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I discovered Alima thanks to MUA and I couldn't be more thankful that I did. I have very clog-prone skin. Up until a few years ago, I could get away with wearing heavy liquid foundations, (e.g. Makeup Forever, Givenchy, Cle de Peau, Prescriptives, Dior, Bobbi Brown, etc.) but now, my skin only tolerates Alima's mineral foundation. I've tried other mineral products, including Youngblood and Bare Minerals, but I've found Alima's - with its minimal ingredients - to be the best. It covers redness and hyperpigmentation without contributing to acne. Although Alima offers a wide range of colors, finding the perfect color for my skin-tone has been difficult. I currently use Warm 4, which is a bit too yellow, but I've also used Beige 3 and 4, and Golden 3 in the past. Other than that- I have no complaints. I have no doubt that I will be using Alima for the rest of my life.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/5/2013 6:56:00 AM More reviews by kayci21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I generally like this product. It doesn't break me out, there's a wide range of shades to choose from, it doesn't oxidise, and it provides light to medium coverage. It also feels very light to wear, so you can wear it comfortably during the warmer months for the most part.

What I don't like is that it doesn't really do anything to control oil (within about two hours, my face is an oil slick, even when I've used setting powder) and it can become patchy. I think it would probably work best on people with normal smooth skin.

I have it in several shades but Warm 2, Warm 3 and Olive 1.5 seem to suit me the most.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by harmonyjensen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This didn't work for me. First, I have extremely clog prone skin and this caused me to breakout. I used the foundation for nearly 3 weeks and my skin was a mess by the time I stopped using it. It started to produce inflamed acne and clogged pores after about 10 days. Second, I could not get very good coverage with this or even their concealer. I have some acne scars and PIH to cover. I finally achieved a decent coverage by patting on a thick layer of the concealer with a damp brush and then patting the area after wetting my brush again to blend. Then I would apply the foundation. I could never get the right amount of the minerals and it would either look like I was wearing nothing or it would be cakey. Third, this made me look 10 years older and settled into every fine line and crease on my face. Finally, it melted off my face by lunch and didn't control oil at all. Even with their primer and finishing powder. I now have a huge cosmetic bag full of samples. I should probably put them up for swap. One positive is it's pretty easy to find your match and the colors are forgiving. I used Warm 2, but could pull off Olive 1 and Warm 1 too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by UrsyN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great Product! Excellent coverage and colour match. Amazing customer service

I recently purchased a few satin matte foundation samples from Alima. My perfect shade was W4 (for reference I'm an NC40 in Winter). I have used Everyday minerals previously and had to stop since they changed their formula. I found Alima Pure's mineral foundation to have only 4 ingredients, which attracted me to the line. I had a few samples from EM left at home so I decided to try and see which has better coverage. I applied Alima on one side and EM on the other. Both applications went well initially...the match was very close so I couldn't tell the difference. After a couple of hours I noticed that the side with EM (semi-matte) looked a little oily and my pores looked huge, whereas the side with Alima stayed a beautiful satin matte and my pores were barely noticeable. I wore the foundation again for a night out and it still looked amazing on my face. This is my 5th day on it and I still love it. I have very sensitive skin (Eczema and Acne prone) and this has not caused any irritations yet. I have ordered a full size along with a couple of blushes and lippies, which I'm really excited about.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by mustanggurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't understand what the big infatuation with this mineral foundation is... It didn't cover well, the finish looked dull and powdery and it just kind of sat on top of my skin unlike other mineral powders I've used before. And no, it's not because I have dry skin or I didn't prep my skin correctly. I have oily skin actually and I tried prepping my skin with moisturizer and primer, then tried no primer... Same thing. Just a very dry dull cakey look and it made me look a lot older than I am. I am 27 with nice skin with no acne marks, scars, acne or un-evenness...(The alima satin foundation made me look at least 35). I Just need a little bit of color to match my sunless tanned body and cover a little bit of redness on my cheeks. It didn't do that. I prefer my everyday minerals matte over this stuff anyday. Actually, I wear it everyday pretty much and it makes my complexion always look great. I use cetaphil spf30 moisturizer before I apply the minerals, it makes it look great and glowy. This Alima stuff may work for some people, but if your kind of a "mineral foundation expert" and have tried everything, don't waste your time trying this one next. It won't impress you.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2013 6:14:00 AM More reviews by FeralCreature

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE: Since originally trying Alima in Cool 2, I've switched to Neutral 1. Partly because I like to neutralize the pink/red tones I have and partly because I have trouble figuring out my undertones and think I am neutral than I originally thought. Still works as well, but seems to match my skin even better.

To jump start this review, here is the product description and ingredients list from Alima Pure:

Alima Pure Satin Matte Mineral Foundation is hypoallergenic -- it goes on easy and feels like nothing at all, naturally. It evens out your skin tone, enhances your complexion and reduces the appearance of fine lines and pores. And, with 61 shades, there's a match for just about everyone.

Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). Nothing more.

Okay, with that out of the way, the selling point for me when I chose to try this foundation was the ingredients list - no bismuth oxychloride, which makes my face red and itchy, no lauroyl lysine or other coconut derivatives, which clog my pores and break me out like crazy and really nothing but minerals. Exactly what I was looking for. I am also really impressed by the color selection and how easy the Alima website makes it to find your match. You can start by selecting your shade: fair, light, medium, medium deep, or deep. Then your undertone: cool, neutral, beige, warm, golden or olive. Clicking on your selection narrows down their 61 colors to just those that fit what you're looking for. I ended up choosing Cool 2, but if you're not 100% certain of which color works for you, Alima offers a sample kit where you can choose 4 different shades to try and many of the other online retailers that sell Alima Pure products offer samples as well.
So, I applied my new foundation with my favorite flat-top kabuki brush. The first thing I noticed was that it was an absolutely perfect match for my skin which is a first for me. The container allows a lot of control over how much product you shake out of the sifter and the powder applies easily and blends well. On top of totally dry skin, I still got the powdery look most powder foundations give me, so I tried applying while my moisturizer hadn't quite finished soaking in and it was perfect - exactly what "satin matte" should be; not shiny, just a bit dewy. I found that with either application method I could layer anywhere from a light dusting to multiple coats and get exactly the coverage I wanted from ultra-light to completely full coverage.
As for staying power, this foundation has the best of any mineral foundation I've ever tried and even beats many liquid and cream foundations in the longevity arena. With no primer or setting powder, I didn't have to touch up until about 5 hours into my work shift, and even then it was just a couple spots where my skin is most prone to oiliness and redness that needed any help.With a primer underneath (I usually just use a bit of aloe but have also tried this foundation over samples of other primers) and setting powder on top (I've used Silk Naturals Perfecting Powder or Ultimate Luxury Powder, Alima finishing powder, plain pearl powder and a couple different Jane Iredale powders) and a quick spritz of hydrosol to finish the whole look, I didn't need to touch up at all. Seriously, not even once from application to removing my makeup before bed.
I imagine it goes without saying, but Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation gets a full 5 lippies from me. I would recommend it to anyone and feel pretty certain you'll find a great color match and love this stuff as much as I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by Naataliie

After having a massive breakout, I started to search for more natural makeup, and ended up ordering Alima Pure's Satin Matte Foundation. There are so many shades to choose from, and there's actually a shade that suits my NC5-10 skin; I use neutral 1, but could probably get away with neutral 0 too.

I have acne scars and lots of redness and PIH, but this foundation covers it amazingly along with the Alima Pure concealer. The foundation doesn't cover my very dark PIH left from acne completely, but it covers any lighter redness amazingly, which is perfect for me because I hate my makeup to look like a mask.

I use it without primer or setting powder and it probably lasts 4-5 hours without getting too shiny, and I have a very oily t-zone so this is some kind of miracle.

I do find it gets cakey if I do put a thicker layer than I need on - but I've discovered that I need less than 1/4 tsp to cover the whole of my face which I put on in two very sheer layers, and then go back with a concealer brush and dot it on any blemishes.

The routine I use of their concealer, then foundation on my whole face, then foundation dotted on my blemishes covers any small whiteheads I may have so that you can't see them unless using my 10x magnification mirror. This is the first concealer/foundation I've found that does this while still looking natural.

Sometimes my skin is extremely dry/flaky in places from using benzoyl peroxide on blemishes, and I find that even if I use of good moisturiser beforehand, this foundation does highlight the dryness a little.

Despite the few things that aren't perfect about this foundation, I've given it 5 stars because it's pale enough for me without having to mix it (hallelujah!) and it hasn't broken me out whatsoever in the few weeks of using it. In fact, my skin seems to be calmer and less inflamed since I started using it - probably because I'm not putting loads of nasty chemicals on it anymore. I love it so much I've ordered more of their products to try from their website.

Highly recommended!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2013 4:57:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I'm on a hunt for the perfect MMU and currently deciding whether I want to order the full size of this. It's definitely better than Bare Minerals and Laura Mercier MMU but not perfect.

Shades: Thumbs up. very intricate color system. Not just your standard yellow vs. pink undertones, but they delve into golden, olive, etc. Beware that the Golden line is extremely yellow. You might want to order a sample of the same shade level in Warm or Olive as well, in case the Golden line is too Simpsons-like on you. I am a neutral leaning NC25 and Warm 3 is probably the best shade for me, although I liked the Golden 4 as a neutralizer for my ruddy face.

Wear: Thumbs down. Although the finish is more or less matte, it controlled oil poorly and moreover did not react well to the oil that broke out on my face. I guess I should've expected this with a powdery consistency, but it got cakey and almost...dough-like (gross!). Looked especially unflattering around the sides of the nostrils. My attempts to touch up just made it worse. This is not a very buildable MMU.

Finish, coverage & consistency: On the fence about this one. It's matte and more on the dry side, but I could see a bit of the satin texture that the company claims. Looked natural enough to me. Coverage is medium-full. Took me 3-4 layers to cover my freckles and scars, and after that it looked cakey. Because this is drier than Bare Minerals, it's hard to get it to adhere to the face without a primer (what's the point of using POWDER foundation if you have to use a liquid/gel primer underneath?). Without using a primer, this did not accentuate pores but it didn't really blur them either. This did not work well with any blush that I applied. For some reason, pigmented powder on pigmented powder doesn't seem to go together well. My blush appeared very patchy no matter what I tried.

I'm still impressed by the color system so I'm not going to dismiss it just yet. I want to try Meow Cosmetics, which apparently has an even more intricate color system. But I get so impatient waiting for these samples to come in the mail from all these companies. Overall, I'd recommend this for those more on the oily side due to the matte finish, although it's not going to hold up well throughout the day.

EDIT: Lowered to two stars. Now I am realizing how much this sucks onto pockmarks and pores. So this is not better than Bare Minerals after all.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/24/2013 4:29:00 AM More reviews by Dealsearcher

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great color selection. Simple ingredients. However, performance, feel, and lasting power lacking, at least for me personally (as everyone is unique with unique skin).
my skin type&tone: Sensitive, acne-prone, oily-combination, large pores, acne scars; olive-yellow undertone, light-medium to medium.

Duration of use: two weeks

Color choice:Despite the great color selection, I still fell in between olive 1/5 and olive 2. Wish I did not have to mix it.

coverage: medium, buildable-full

First impression: very powdery on first application, yet drags on skin at times. (however with all mineral makeup, I waited 30 min to truly judge finish after it has melted into skin properly).

After 30 min: looks beautiful, second skin, smooth, matte to satin finish

After 2 hours: dewy but looks nice, HOWEVER feels greasy and oily (even with the primer &finish powder; without primer was even oilier), my hair would get stuck a little to my face b/c of makeup. Not too pleasant. Felt like makeup transfer with my hands or clothing etc.

After 4+ hours: makeup either melted too much/too absorbed into my pores or rubbed off via transfer that merely 10% of makeup left on my face. Blush was GONE (I put a fair amount of bright Apricot matte blush).

notes: also broke out but will update later to see if it was really due to the makeup.

Recap: like the company b/c it is very professional, the color choices are great but you may still need to mix. :/ the lasting power was short, performance was moderate, and feel was at first nice but then greasy. GREASY is the main take-away here (for me). Sorry alima, I will just use up the samples I purchased but won't be ordering again.

UPDATE: 9.25.13
I have been using this for quite sometime and I am pretty sure this breaks me out. Tiny whitehead bumps everywhere. That turn into inflamed pimples. So for the price, inconvenience of online-only availability, the hassle of shaking the powder and swirl and tap and apply (I love mineral makeup but after using it for so long prefer pressed ones), and the underperformance of product I just do not want to repurchase. I dont get why it breaks me out, sorry Alima, in theory everything was great. Just not a product for me.

UPDATE: 3.8.14
So I went to get a facial yesterday and the esthetician and I were discussing mineral makeup and she told me that mica, if too micro in size will clog skin with large pores, especially combination or oily skin, so she avoids mica in general because mica is just used for luminescence so those with acne prone skin and/or large pores wouldn't want the sheen as this highlights these features, and mica is used as a filler mainly. So it is probably the slightly too small sized mica in Altima makeup that is clogged my pores and made me break out like crazy.....

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2013 2:11:00 PM More reviews by manny1996

I wanted to love this, but it wasn't meant to be. I was oily all over within two hours of applying the primer and foundation. The color selection was great and it didn't break me out at all, but I'll be going back to glominerals because of the oiliness.