December 22, 2014 | 1581 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a mineral foundation that has a good colour match to my Bare Minerals, goes on without making me look like I have rolled around in chalk and without too many chemical additives. I wanted so badly for Alima to work for me, but it has not. I ordered several samples of foundation along with x2 eyeshadows and x1 blush (I will review those later). The foundations felt smooth as silk, I used a dense soft brush made for mineral powder so I got a great coverage but the every sample shade I tried turned really dark once applied to skin and all the shades ended up looking the same. Flat, chalky and too dark. I even wiped everything off and did line swatches on my face to compare shade differences and there were virtually none. I am grateful I didn't blind buy a full size, but the cost of postage is a bit high to the UK and not one of the foundation samples was usable for a full face. I don't think I will not be purchasing a full size foundation. For now I will finish off my nearly empty Bare. Minerals and go on another hunt for something more natural, less chemicals, reasonable price and great coverage that suits my skin tone.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2014 8:09:00 PM More reviews by j4nda26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really wanted to love this product I found my shade which is Beige 4 (main) and Beige 5. It was the perfect match for my skin tone and let me tell you I have always had a difficulty finding my shade. I am Asian but Tan. Most makeup always look pink on me not enough yellow. I applied this makeup during the day, sunlight and all and it was flawless. It blends right in I couldn't even tell I was wearing makeup. It delivered a medium but flawless coverage. It was a satin finish but not greasy looking without any heavy feeling at all. It also withstands a hot climate.. This would've been a perfect every day makeup since it look great even with direct sunlight...Then, after a few days I started breaking out which made me really sad. I thought this would be the least of my worries with this makeup since it's marketed to have no allergens or toxic harsh chemicals so I'm very disappointed...maybe it was the brush but I also have broken out from bareminerals in the past and gave me the worst allergic reaction in the whole history so I am scared to keep using this again....

Pros:
30 day foundation match guarantee (good customer service)
Satin matte finish (not greasy,oily)
Long lasting (withstands humidity)
flawless coverage
Light weight

Cons:
Causes breakout
Tend to get cakey or chalky if too much is applied (be careful)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2013 5:06:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

While there are some definite positives to this product, there are some serious downsides too.

Pros:
- It comes in a very large variety of shades, making it much easier to find your perfect colour match.
- It has a minimal amount of ingredients, and has never made me break out.

Cons:
- It's so incredibly see through that I have to layer it on to get ANY sort of coverage for my redness (to the point of cake face)...let's not even talk about pimples. Those are never covered with this foundation.
- It's expensive, as far as mineral makeup goes.

Overall, I just don't get what I need out of this foundation. If you have anything but flawless skin, I recommend trying Lucy Minerals. It covers imperfections much better, for a lower price point (currently about 10 dollars less), and doesn't look cakey.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2013 7:23:00 PM More reviews by oohlalasamira

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I discovered Alima thanks to MUA and I couldn't be more thankful that I did. I have very clog-prone skin. Up until a few years ago, I could get away with wearing heavy liquid foundations, (e.g. Makeup Forever, Givenchy, Cle de Peau, Prescriptives, Dior, Bobbi Brown, etc.) but now, my skin only tolerates Alima's mineral foundation. I've tried other mineral products, including Youngblood and Bare Minerals, but I've found Alima's - with its minimal ingredients - to be the best. It covers redness and hyperpigmentation without contributing to acne. Although Alima offers a wide range of colors, finding the perfect color for my skin-tone has been difficult. I currently use Warm 4, which is a bit too yellow, but I've also used Beige 3 and 4, and Golden 3 in the past. Other than that- I have no complaints. I have no doubt that I will be using Alima for the rest of my life.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/5/2013 6:56:00 AM More reviews by kayci21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I generally like this product. It doesn't break me out, there's a wide range of shades to choose from, it doesn't oxidise, and it provides light to medium coverage. It also feels very light to wear, so you can wear it comfortably during the warmer months for the most part.

What I don't like is that it doesn't really do anything to control oil (within about two hours, my face is an oil slick, even when I've used setting powder) and it can become patchy. I think it would probably work best on people with normal smooth skin.

I have it in several shades but Warm 2, Warm 3 and Olive 1.5 seem to suit me the most.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by harmonyjensen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This didn't work for me. First, I have extremely clog prone skin and this caused me to breakout. I used the foundation for nearly 3 weeks and my skin was a mess by the time I stopped using it. It started to produce inflamed acne and clogged pores after about 10 days. Second, I could not get very good coverage with this or even their concealer. I have some acne scars and PIH to cover. I finally achieved a decent coverage by patting on a thick layer of the concealer with a damp brush and then patting the area after wetting my brush again to blend. Then I would apply the foundation. I could never get the right amount of the minerals and it would either look like I was wearing nothing or it would be cakey. Third, this made me look 10 years older and settled into every fine line and crease on my face. Finally, it melted off my face by lunch and didn't control oil at all. Even with their primer and finishing powder. I now have a huge cosmetic bag full of samples. I should probably put them up for swap. One positive is it's pretty easy to find your match and the colors are forgiving. I used Warm 2, but could pull off Olive 1 and Warm 1 too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by UrsyN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great Product! Excellent coverage and colour match. Amazing customer service

I recently purchased a few satin matte foundation samples from Alima. My perfect shade was W4 (for reference I'm an NC40 in Winter). I have used Everyday minerals previously and had to stop since they changed their formula. I found Alima Pure's mineral foundation to have only 4 ingredients, which attracted me to the line. I had a few samples from EM left at home so I decided to try and see which has better coverage. I applied Alima on one side and EM on the other. Both applications went well initially...the match was very close so I couldn't tell the difference. After a couple of hours I noticed that the side with EM (semi-matte) looked a little oily and my pores looked huge, whereas the side with Alima stayed a beautiful satin matte and my pores were barely noticeable. I wore the foundation again for a night out and it still looked amazing on my face. This is my 5th day on it and I still love it. I have very sensitive skin (Eczema and Acne prone) and this has not caused any irritations yet. I have ordered a full size along with a couple of blushes and lippies, which I'm really excited about.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by mustanggurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't understand what the big infatuation with this mineral foundation is... It didn't cover well, the finish looked dull and powdery and it just kind of sat on top of my skin unlike other mineral powders I've used before. And no, it's not because I have dry skin or I didn't prep my skin correctly. I have oily skin actually and I tried prepping my skin with moisturizer and primer, then tried no primer... Same thing. Just a very dry dull cakey look and it made me look a lot older than I am. I am 27 with nice skin with no acne marks, scars, acne or un-evenness...(The alima satin foundation made me look at least 35). I Just need a little bit of color to match my sunless tanned body and cover a little bit of redness on my cheeks. It didn't do that. I prefer my everyday minerals matte over this stuff anyday. Actually, I wear it everyday pretty much and it makes my complexion always look great. I use cetaphil spf30 moisturizer before I apply the minerals, it makes it look great and glowy. This Alima stuff may work for some people, but if your kind of a "mineral foundation expert" and have tried everything, don't waste your time trying this one next. It won't impress you.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2013 6:14:00 AM More reviews by FeralCreature

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE: Since originally trying Alima in Cool 2, I've switched to Neutral 1. Partly because I like to neutralize the pink/red tones I have and partly because I have trouble figuring out my undertones and think I am neutral than I originally thought. Still works as well, but seems to match my skin even better.

To jump start this review, here is the product description and ingredients list from Alima Pure:

Alima Pure Satin Matte Mineral Foundation is hypoallergenic -- it goes on easy and feels like nothing at all, naturally. It evens out your skin tone, enhances your complexion and reduces the appearance of fine lines and pores. And, with 61 shades, there's a match for just about everyone.

Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). Nothing more.

Okay, with that out of the way, the selling point for me when I chose to try this foundation was the ingredients list - no bismuth oxychloride, which makes my face red and itchy, no lauroyl lysine or other coconut derivatives, which clog my pores and break me out like crazy and really nothing but minerals. Exactly what I was looking for. I am also really impressed by the color selection and how easy the Alima website makes it to find your match. You can start by selecting your shade: fair, light, medium, medium deep, or deep. Then your undertone: cool, neutral, beige, warm, golden or olive. Clicking on your selection narrows down their 61 colors to just those that fit what you're looking for. I ended up choosing Cool 2, but if you're not 100% certain of which color works for you, Alima offers a sample kit where you can choose 4 different shades to try and many of the other online retailers that sell Alima Pure products offer samples as well.
So, I applied my new foundation with my favorite flat-top kabuki brush. The first thing I noticed was that it was an absolutely perfect match for my skin which is a first for me. The container allows a lot of control over how much product you shake out of the sifter and the powder applies easily and blends well. On top of totally dry skin, I still got the powdery look most powder foundations give me, so I tried applying while my moisturizer hadn't quite finished soaking in and it was perfect - exactly what "satin matte" should be; not shiny, just a bit dewy. I found that with either application method I could layer anywhere from a light dusting to multiple coats and get exactly the coverage I wanted from ultra-light to completely full coverage.
As for staying power, this foundation has the best of any mineral foundation I've ever tried and even beats many liquid and cream foundations in the longevity arena. With no primer or setting powder, I didn't have to touch up until about 5 hours into my work shift, and even then it was just a couple spots where my skin is most prone to oiliness and redness that needed any help.With a primer underneath (I usually just use a bit of aloe but have also tried this foundation over samples of other primers) and setting powder on top (I've used Silk Naturals Perfecting Powder or Ultimate Luxury Powder, Alima finishing powder, plain pearl powder and a couple different Jane Iredale powders) and a quick spritz of hydrosol to finish the whole look, I didn't need to touch up at all. Seriously, not even once from application to removing my makeup before bed.
I imagine it goes without saying, but Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation gets a full 5 lippies from me. I would recommend it to anyone and feel pretty certain you'll find a great color match and love this stuff as much as I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by Naataliie

After having a massive breakout, I started to search for more natural makeup, and ended up ordering Alima Pure's Satin Matte Foundation. There are so many shades to choose from, and there's actually a shade that suits my NC5-10 skin; I use neutral 1, but could probably get away with neutral 0 too.

I have acne scars and lots of redness and PIH, but this foundation covers it amazingly along with the Alima Pure concealer. The foundation doesn't cover my very dark PIH left from acne completely, but it covers any lighter redness amazingly, which is perfect for me because I hate my makeup to look like a mask.

I use it without primer or setting powder and it probably lasts 4-5 hours without getting too shiny, and I have a very oily t-zone so this is some kind of miracle.

I do find it gets cakey if I do put a thicker layer than I need on - but I've discovered that I need less than 1/4 tsp to cover the whole of my face which I put on in two very sheer layers, and then go back with a concealer brush and dot it on any blemishes.

The routine I use of their concealer, then foundation on my whole face, then foundation dotted on my blemishes covers any small whiteheads I may have so that you can't see them unless using my 10x magnification mirror. This is the first concealer/foundation I've found that does this while still looking natural.

Sometimes my skin is extremely dry/flaky in places from using benzoyl peroxide on blemishes, and I find that even if I use of good moisturiser beforehand, this foundation does highlight the dryness a little.

Despite the few things that aren't perfect about this foundation, I've given it 5 stars because it's pale enough for me without having to mix it (hallelujah!) and it hasn't broken me out whatsoever in the few weeks of using it. In fact, my skin seems to be calmer and less inflamed since I started using it - probably because I'm not putting loads of nasty chemicals on it anymore. I love it so much I've ordered more of their products to try from their website.

Highly recommended!