Dior Dune EDT

3.6

on 7/23/2012 11:01:00 AM

One of my favorites, a grounded amber tone, very warm and comforting and classy.

on 5/27/2012 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This was one of my favorites in my twenties, when I was just discovering fragrances outside of the drugstore. It's a warm, woody floriental with a bracing oceanic note behind it. There is something haunting about it, but that might be just my own memories of my misspent youth talking. This is one of those fragrances where the EDT and the EDP are none too subtly different from one another, and where I once was content to use both equally, I now definitely favor the softer EDT. Even though Dune is no longer my favorite fragrance, it still has a place in my heart.

on 2/24/2012 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Dune is an interesting scent. I don't really enjoy the top notes all that much, they are not off putting but it's not that great either. What I do enjoy is the middle and base notes, once this scent settles down, it turns into a nice creamy vanilla/amber with the scent of sea salt and sand, like you're on the beach.

on 10/24/2011 11:27:00 AM

this review is for the edt. Dune is basically a floriental with a beautiful amber/vanilla drydown and transparent fruity topnotes. Thankfully I do not get any calone which I usually detest in fragrance and can only surmise that it is in the topnotes to give transparency. I do not find it dry or bleak but warm, like warm sand. Having said that it is not at all 'beachy' in the Bronze Goddess sense. I think the reason that we all have trouble defining it is that it is different on everyone or maybe the perception is different. The staying power of even the edt is phenomenal, lasting on a robe even after washing. I love this scent simply because it is a no brainer, you spray it on, it smells good. Because of its versatility it could easily become a signature scent and it is certainly a classic. Don't bother with Allure, Must or all the other knockoffs, get the original.

on 9/18/2011 7:36:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Oh wow! Are we thinking about the same fragrances here at all? I think this is beautiful but very distinct and not at all in the same vein as the other fashionable scents at the minute - Flowerbomb, Coco Mademoiselle etc. Yes, it is a shock the first time you sniff it. It hits you at the back of the throat and you wonder how on earth anyone could ever wear this and live with themselves. But over the years it has really grown on me. Maybe that is the thing with this fragrance. It didn't really appeal to me in my 20s but I think I have grown into it somehow.

Despite the name, Dune, this is not a typical 'beachy' type scent. The sort of beaches I have in mind are not the beaches you like to go on your holiday. I'm not even thinking beaches here, I'm thinking unending deserts. Empty, bleak, comfortless. You could nearly call this nihilism in a bottle, though it is much more attractive than that! The nearest I get to beachiness is being beside a harbour

I'd be more inclined to wear this in the evenings even though it is recommended for day wear. I also have the body lotion which is divine. i do feel like I should be dressed in black and being slightly depressive when I'm wearing this. Like a black and white arthouse type film. Sorry for the abstract review but this is a startling abstract perfume. Very beautiful and complex.

on 7/20/2011 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

DUNE (femmes) is not really a "marine" fragrance.... at least not in the way Profumum ACQUA DI SALE is, or Heeley EAU DE SEL. Strictly speaking, DUNE is a Fruity Floriental with marine hints. It is not amongst the "beachy" scents which rely on coconut/pineapple/banana suggestions, or which recall the fragrances of SEA & SKI, COPPERTONE, BAIN DE SOLEIL, NIVEA or NOXZEMA.

No, DUNE instead is a heady melange of mandarin, tropical fruit (granadilla? guava?), exotic flowers (primarily an exuberant lily), and a fully ambered, vanillic, Oriental base. It derives its marine hints from calone in the head, and from that dry, beery, reedy note of broom in the heart.

I still think DUNE has one of the most enchanting, cheering sillages in all perfumery.

on 7/17/2011 12:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been wanting a new fragrance. I wanted a skin scent but more. I had been thinking about Dune on and off but the copy on the CD website touted it as oceanic so when I would sample it at the store, although I loved it, suddenly my brain smelled an aquatic note (-and I hate marine/aquatics)... until today. I was perusing Productville looking for inspiration and came upon notluisebrooks' review of Dune EdT below. Her review spoke to me. Dune is indeed all she says it is. I ended up going out testing and buying a 100mL bottle! I can't stop smelling myself. The top and middle notes don't last. I don't mind because it is the creamy vanilla,amber and tonka bean base that works magic with my body chemistry! NO oceanic/marine/aquatic anything.Thank you notluisebrooks and yes, I will be repurchasing when I use up this bottle.

on 6/25/2011 9:04:00 AM

This is the one for me! I love the un-perfumey-ness of it. It is original and refreshing in the putrid cloud of Angel smog that passes for perfume these days.

on 12/2/2010 2:17:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Dune is a unique type of scent. It makes me feel like I am on the beach, like beachy air. Top note includes bergamot, mandarin, palisander, aldehyde, peony and broom followed by heart note composed of jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, lily, wallflower, lichen. Base notes are vanilla, patchouli, benzoin, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss, and musk. This one has a cult following, it still sells quite a bit.

on 11/9/2010 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This smells bad for the first twenty minutes. Then it gets pretty good. I wouldn't buy a bottle as it is definitely masculine. Men's aftershave. And it also is too spicey for my taste. I do get a feel of a beach and ocean. I go to the beach at least twice a week for years and this does smell like sand and driftwood, salt water and sea oats. People probably think the beach has to smell like suntan lotion. This is accurate as far as smelling like an empty, natural dune beach,but it's too strong ( never thought I would find anything I thought was too strong) as far as the spice goes. I detect some wierd spice smell which bothers me. I gave it four stars because it lasts and I love how it gets better as time goes on. It would be a pretty scent on a hot looking guy.

Popular Fragrances