September 14, 2014 | 2112 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Dune EDT

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2012 3:09:00 AM More reviews by Jake84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Dune is an interesting scent. I don't really enjoy the top notes all that much, they are not off putting but it's not that great either. What I do enjoy is the middle and base notes, once this scent settles down, it turns into a nice creamy vanilla/amber with the scent of sea salt and sand, like you're on the beach.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this review is for the edt. Dune is basically a floriental with a beautiful amber/vanilla drydown and transparent fruity topnotes. Thankfully I do not get any calone which I usually detest in fragrance and can only surmise that it is in the topnotes to give transparency. I do not find it dry or bleak but warm, like warm sand. Having said that it is not at all 'beachy' in the Bronze Goddess sense. I think the reason that we all have trouble defining it is that it is different on everyone or maybe the perception is different. The staying power of even the edt is phenomenal, lasting on a robe even after washing. I love this scent simply because it is a no brainer, you spray it on, it smells good. Because of its versatility it could easily become a signature scent and it is certainly a classic. Don't bother with Allure, Must or all the other knockoffs, get the original.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2011 7:36:00 AM More reviews by Shazzer1976

Oh wow! Are we thinking about the same fragrances here at all? I think this is beautiful but very distinct and not at all in the same vein as the other fashionable scents at the minute - Flowerbomb, Coco Mademoiselle etc. Yes, it is a shock the first time you sniff it. It hits you at the back of the throat and you wonder how on earth anyone could ever wear this and live with themselves. But over the years it has really grown on me. Maybe that is the thing with this fragrance. It didn't really appeal to me in my 20s but I think I have grown into it somehow.

Despite the name, Dune, this is not a typical 'beachy' type scent. The sort of beaches I have in mind are not the beaches you like to go on your holiday. I'm not even thinking beaches here, I'm thinking unending deserts. Empty, bleak, comfortless. You could nearly call this nihilism in a bottle, though it is much more attractive than that! The nearest I get to beachiness is being beside a harbour

I'd be more inclined to wear this in the evenings even though it is recommended for day wear. I also have the body lotion which is divine. i do feel like I should be dressed in black and being slightly depressive when I'm wearing this. Like a black and white arthouse type film. Sorry for the abstract review but this is a startling abstract perfume. Very beautiful and complex.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 8:07:00 PM More reviews by rasputin2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

DUNE (femmes) is not really a "marine" fragrance.... at least not in the way Profumum ACQUA DI SALE is, or Heeley EAU DE SEL. Strictly speaking, DUNE is a Fruity Floriental with marine hints. It is not amongst the "beachy" scents which rely on coconut/pineapple/banana suggestions, or which recall the fragrances of SEA & SKI, COPPERTONE, BAIN DE SOLEIL, NIVEA or NOXZEMA.

No, DUNE instead is a heady melange of mandarin, tropical fruit (granadilla? guava?), exotic flowers (primarily an exuberant lily), and a fully ambered, vanillic, Oriental base. It derives its marine hints from calone in the head, and from that dry, beery, reedy note of broom in the heart.

I still think DUNE has one of the most enchanting, cheering sillages in all perfumery.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2011 12:03:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been wanting a new fragrance. I wanted a skin scent but more. I had been thinking about Dune on and off but the copy on the CD website touted it as oceanic so when I would sample it at the store, although I loved it, suddenly my brain smelled an aquatic note (-and I hate marine/aquatics)... until today. I was perusing Productville looking for inspiration and came upon notluisebrooks' review of Dune EdT below. Her review spoke to me. Dune is indeed all she says it is. I ended up going out testing and buying a 100mL bottle! I can't stop smelling myself. The top and middle notes don't last. I don't mind because it is the creamy vanilla,amber and tonka bean base that works magic with my body chemistry! NO oceanic/marine/aquatic anything.Thank you notluisebrooks and yes, I will be repurchasing when I use up this bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2011 9:04:00 AM More reviews by Tucansam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the one for me! I love the un-perfumey-ness of it. It is original and refreshing in the putrid cloud of Angel smog that passes for perfume these days.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2010 2:17:00 PM More reviews by dioraddict84

Dune is a unique type of scent. It makes me feel like I am on the beach, like beachy air. Top note includes bergamot, mandarin, palisander, aldehyde, peony and broom followed by heart note composed of jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, lily, wallflower, lichen. Base notes are vanilla, patchouli, benzoin, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss, and musk. This one has a cult following, it still sells quite a bit.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2010 9:26:00 PM More reviews by happywoman28

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This smells bad for the first twenty minutes. Then it gets pretty good. I wouldn't buy a bottle as it is definitely masculine. Men's aftershave. And it also is too spicey for my taste. I do get a feel of a beach and ocean. I go to the beach at least twice a week for years and this does smell like sand and driftwood, salt water and sea oats. People probably think the beach has to smell like suntan lotion. This is accurate as far as smelling like an empty, natural dune beach,but it's too strong ( never thought I would find anything I thought was too strong) as far as the spice goes. I detect some wierd spice smell which bothers me. I gave it four stars because it lasts and I love how it gets better as time goes on. It would be a pretty scent on a hot looking guy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2010 12:23:00 AM More reviews by GlamDiva

Dune is a light, sunny amber for casual wear. Could work well as a
shared fragrance. There's a patchouli note that comes up much
stronger in the lotion's drydown compared to the EDT.
If you like Dune, try also Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain
and Marc Jacobs Amber.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 11:04:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My first experience with Dune was on a trip to France at age 17. I picked up a dupe of Dune (called Elodie) at Parfumerie Galimard. Although I loved the scent, it somehow didn't seem "right" on me (probably because all my peers were wearing CK One and the like). Years later, I have rediscovered Dune. To me, the scent evokes sun-warmed sand (although that could just be because of the name). Spicy, and I detect a very, very faint hint of mint. Definitely one of a kind and worth checking out of you're sick of fruity florals or vanilla puddings.