January 27, 2015 | 1989 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

SON OF A BATCH OF COOKIES THIS STUFF IS MAGNIFICENT.

Not only because you can use it for exfoliation, but also because you can literally use it in a batch of cookies. So pun intended.

Mixed with olive oil- great body scrub

Mixed with your favorite dish soap- great hand scrub/hand wash

Mixed with butter, oil, eggs, flour, and a dash of vanilla- great batch of cookies.

You most likely already own sugar and oil. Just mix up a bowl full of wonderful, scrub your body with it in the shower, and feel your skin. It will be as soft as 50 ply Charmin ultra. That is, if they made such a thing.

Just try it, it's worth the shot. Don't be a silly goose people.

44 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by heleno451

I've had great results using sugar as a body scrub. It makes my skin soft and you can't beat the price! Depending on your skin type it might be too harsh to use on your face though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2013 11:05:00 AM More reviews by icarle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin is quite oily, i use it three times a week (my skin is not sensitive) i use plain old white sugar mixed with honey and use a little bit of water before scrubbing. AMAZING! Why on earth would i ever purchase something that i can make myself in two seconds???
Great great discovery.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by thebobcat64

Tastes so good, will definitely repurchase

55 out of 66 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by chantililly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to admit I find it pretty ironic to be scrubbing sugar on my face while on a low-cal diet. Maybe this is one of those things that is better out than in.

I've known for a while that sugar is antibacterial but I hadn't really thought about using it on my face. It doesn't really seem intuitive to break out the cooking supplies when it comes to skincare. But after finding that olive oil makes a much more effective and gentle eye-makeup remover than my actual eye-makeup remover, and unpasteurised honey brings my spots right down, I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a go.

I used superfine sugar mixed with olive oil and it actually worked great. I was surprised at how nice the result was. I suppose, thinking about it, sugar is a key ingredient in a lot of scrubs (Lush lip scrub for instance... I never understood why you can't just make that yourself) so it shouldn't be so shocking. My skin breaks out if you so much as look at it when I'm back in my high-humidity hometown and this didn't break me out. My acne even looks better. So there's that.

And it's sugar. You buy it at the supermarket when you're getting your groceries. Being a fan of Asian makeup and living in a place where the nearest Bobbi Brown counter is three counties away, I'm used to good products being difficult and stressful to obtain. So being able to pick my exfoliator up along with my fruit and veg is a nice change-- I'll just keep it out of my coffee from now on.

TMI-- I also found it's good for ingrown hairs, the kind you get from shaving. I have big problems with that so this, I love.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 2:56:00 AM More reviews by hershieowef

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

i love me some cheap yet effective all-around scrub. my favorite recipe is brown sugar and honey (2:1 ratio) mask scrub for the face, lips, and body. i leave it on for 5-10 minutes (dont worry about the sugar falling off - it wont, as long as the honey is thick enough to hold it in place and the consistency is viscuous enough. i use it once a week and i have never bought a single facial scrub, body scrub, or lip scrub ever since.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by thereisalwayshope

Sugar is awesome! Not only for the taste but for all the things it can be used for. I use it as an exfoliator, generally for my face, but it can be used all over the body.

There is a trick for make your own body scrub with sugar…If there is a shampoo that you do not like for your hair and you adore the smell or have a shampoo you like that is relatively cheap you can add sugar to it and use it as a body scrub!!! Works well, and you really feel it working unlike some of the other real scrubs out there.

Definitely worth a try, and best of all you probably have loads of it at home right now lol.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 6:37:00 AM More reviews by princessmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Making my own skincare lotions and potions makes me feel so good.. I know exactly whats going in to the product.
Sugar is a good exfoliant for the skin on the face and body. I mainly use it on my face (im too lazy to make my own for my entire body!).
I use brown sugar, which is quite coarse but i only use this scrub occasionally, say once every week.you can use salt, but i find sugar better for more sensitive skin.
This is my usual routine when using a face scrub:
1. cleanse skin with your regular cleanser (im using nivea daily essentials 2 in 1 at the moment)
2. apply a face mask (im currently using superdrug's mud mask)
3. wet the face and take rinse off most of the mask
4. use an oil (jojoba, olive, grapeseed etc,) and mix in the sugar and apply on the face, making sure to go to the neck and take off the excess mask.
5. rinse off, pat dry and apply your eye cream and moistuisor.

This helps me because I have spotty, oily but sensitive skin. leaving on make up all day can break me out in spots, so i have to be really thorough when taking my make up off.
I use jojoba oil, as its great for, well, everything! it's good for the skin, acne, wrinkles and helps to balance out the oils, which makes it perfect for oily, spotty skin.

This will leave your skin feeling really clean and fresh.
Hope this helps!x

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by dc1407

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been trying to use more DIY/homemade/organic skincare products, where possible. Sugar is handy because it's in everyone's kitchen and it's so cheap and versatile, yet so effective! I use the fine sugar because it's less harsh on my skin.

The exfoliating properties of sugar are amazing and the amount of beauty 'recipes' I can concoct with this one product is amazing. I use it on its on, or mixed with oils and it gives the most wonderful exfoliation for face & body and an amazing base as a lip scrub!

If you haven't used sugar, try it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 7:38:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Definite lifesaver for my skin! While some people find it overly-abrasive for the face, but I find it just right. I usually mix it with a clay mask like my Freeman's Lemon & Mint clay mask as an exfoliating mask, and leave it on for a minute or two to cleanse the pores and exfoliate(of course) then rinse off with warm or cold water.

This makes my skin really smooth and clear which makes it really easy for skincare and foundation to glide on. As it has an overly-abrasive texture for the face, I don't use it everyday. Usually twice or thrice a week for me because of my oily skin to smooth out my skin, would do the trick. I prefer sugar over those terrible micro-beads scrubs is because those micro-beads scrubs basically do nothing for my skin.

I do recommend it, but don't use it everyday because it damages the skin's natural texture as well. While it is alright to use sugar on its own, I prefer using a mixing agent such as the clay mask as stated to make it less harsh and have skin-cleansing benefits.