Sugar

Price: $

Price: $

Sugar

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Olive oil, honey and sugar is the best thing that has ever happened to my skin.

My skin can get pretty dry during the winter months and no matter what moisturizer I use, the dryness is accentuated by foundation on my nose and forehead (where I don't even put foundation on anymore because of that). I have to admit, I was never the one to make DIY's because I'm lazy and would rather buy something that already comes in a bottle and smells good. BUT one day, when nothing seemed to solve the problem, I decided to make this and OMG my skin feels like a baby's bum and when I apply foundation on in the morning it goes on smoothly without accentuating any dryness. Not to mention it's cheap and you don't even have to go out to buy any of it because you most definitely and probably have it sitting in your house somewhere, right now, as you're reading this :).

on 11/2/2013 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

SON OF A BATCH OF COOKIES THIS STUFF IS MAGNIFICENT.

Not only because you can use it for exfoliation, but also because you can literally use it in a batch of cookies. So pun intended.

Mixed with olive oil- great body scrub

Mixed with your favorite dish soap- great hand scrub/hand wash

Mixed with butter, oil, eggs, flour, and a dash of vanilla- great batch of cookies.

You most likely already own sugar and oil. Just mix up a bowl full of wonderful, scrub your body with it in the shower, and feel your skin. It will be as soft as 50 ply Charmin ultra. That is, if they made such a thing.

Just try it, it's worth the shot. Don't be a silly goose people.

on 11/2/2013 7:39:00 PM

I've had great results using sugar as a body scrub. It makes my skin soft and you can't beat the price! Depending on your skin type it might be too harsh to use on your face though.

on 8/31/2013 11:05:00 AM

My skin is quite oily, i use it three times a week (my skin is not sensitive) i use plain old white sugar mixed with honey and use a little bit of water before scrubbing. AMAZING! Why on earth would i ever purchase something that i can make myself in two seconds???
Great great discovery.

on 7/22/2013 9:37:00 PM

Tastes so good, will definitely repurchase

on 6/30/2013 8:42:00 PM

I have to admit I find it pretty ironic to be scrubbing sugar on my face while on a low-cal diet. Maybe this is one of those things that is better out than in.

I've known for a while that sugar is antibacterial but I hadn't really thought about using it on my face. It doesn't really seem intuitive to break out the cooking supplies when it comes to skincare. But after finding that olive oil makes a much more effective and gentle eye-makeup remover than my actual eye-makeup remover, and unpasteurised honey brings my spots right down, I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a go.

I used superfine sugar mixed with olive oil and it actually worked great. I was surprised at how nice the result was. I suppose, thinking about it, sugar is a key ingredient in a lot of scrubs (Lush lip scrub for instance... I never understood why you can't just make that yourself) so it shouldn't be so shocking. My skin breaks out if you so much as look at it when I'm back in my high-humidity hometown and this didn't break me out. My acne even looks better. So there's that.

And it's sugar. You buy it at the supermarket when you're getting your groceries. Being a fan of Asian makeup and living in a place where the nearest Bobbi Brown counter is three counties away, I'm used to good products being difficult and stressful to obtain. So being able to pick my exfoliator up along with my fruit and veg is a nice change-- I'll just keep it out of my coffee from now on.

TMI-- I also found it's good for ingrown hairs, the kind you get from shaving. I have big problems with that so this, I love.

on 5/25/2013 2:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i love me some cheap yet effective all-around scrub. my favorite recipe is brown sugar and honey (2:1 ratio) mask scrub for the face, lips, and body. i leave it on for 5-10 minutes (dont worry about the sugar falling off - it wont, as long as the honey is thick enough to hold it in place and the consistency is viscuous enough. i use it once a week and i have never bought a single facial scrub, body scrub, or lip scrub ever since.

Sugar is awesome! Not only for the taste but for all the things it can be used for. I use it as an exfoliator, generally for my face, but it can be used all over the body.

There is a trick for make your own body scrub with sugar…If there is a shampoo that you do not like for your hair and you adore the smell or have a shampoo you like that is relatively cheap you can add sugar to it and use it as a body scrub!!! Works well, and you really feel it working unlike some of the other real scrubs out there.

Definitely worth a try, and best of all you probably have loads of it at home right now lol.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Making my own skincare lotions and potions makes me feel so good.. I know exactly whats going in to the product.
Sugar is a good exfoliant for the skin on the face and body. I mainly use it on my face (im too lazy to make my own for my entire body!).
I use brown sugar, which is quite coarse but i only use this scrub occasionally, say once every week.you can use salt, but i find sugar better for more sensitive skin.
This is my usual routine when using a face scrub:
1. cleanse skin with your regular cleanser (im using nivea daily essentials 2 in 1 at the moment)
2. apply a face mask (im currently using superdrug's mud mask)
3. wet the face and take rinse off most of the mask
4. use an oil (jojoba, olive, grapeseed etc,) and mix in the sugar and apply on the face, making sure to go to the neck and take off the excess mask.
5. rinse off, pat dry and apply your eye cream and moistuisor.

This helps me because I have spotty, oily but sensitive skin. leaving on make up all day can break me out in spots, so i have to be really thorough when taking my make up off.
I use jojoba oil, as its great for, well, everything! it's good for the skin, acne, wrinkles and helps to balance out the oils, which makes it perfect for oily, spotty skin.

This will leave your skin feeling really clean and fresh.
Hope this helps!x

on 4/6/2013 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I've been trying to use more DIY/homemade/organic skincare products, where possible. Sugar is handy because it's in everyone's kitchen and it's so cheap and versatile, yet so effective! I use the fine sugar because it's less harsh on my skin.

The exfoliating properties of sugar are amazing and the amount of beauty 'recipes' I can concoct with this one product is amazing. I use it on its on, or mixed with oils and it gives the most wonderful exfoliation for face & body and an amazing base as a lip scrub!

If you haven't used sugar, try it!