September 17, 2014 | 2002 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by tottie06

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I gave two stars being that this is natural and does not contain Aluminum Chlorohydrate. But other than that, using it was not a good experience. I tried several versions of it including the Long-Lasting one, and had slimy wet underarms all day, and ended up sticking by mid-day! I now use Dove -the one that has castor oil and no aluminum. I will not repurchase Toms.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by hbanana123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This review is for the unscented aluminum-free deodorant.

It's simply not a good product- it actually makes me smell worse than my natural stink. I don't sweat that much which is why I thought I could get away with a natural deodorant, but this one did not work with my body chemistry.
Although this says "unscented," it stinks like bo before you even put it on. I do not recommend this product. Sorry Tom's, I will stick with my Crystal roll-on.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2013 3:04:00 PM More reviews by Singdelgado

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

At first I thought it would be a good idea to switch to a natural deodorant since my armpits were dark caused by the aluminum from regular deodorants. Since Toms can be found easily at a drug store I decided to try it out and the first week it worked! I could tell that my arm pits were getting lighter and that I didn't have body odor even though I would sweat. Although, since day one it made my arm pits SO FREAKIN ITCHY! And I continue to use the product. Why? I don't know. I now have body odor and my arm pits are dry as hell. They're red, starting to flake, and are terribly terribly itchy. Definitely would pay the extra dollars to try out Lavanila instead.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by SmellyPeter

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Product: Toms of Maine, Long Lasting, Aluminum Free deoderant (Unscented)

It takes a lot to get me to write a review. This product came on sale at the local store and I (stupidly) picked up a bunch of them without trying one first. The packaging made a compelling case ("Clinically PROVEN"!) and it is difficult to find unscented deoderant so I picked some up...

Alas, after a few days, what is THAT smell? It was ME. I never smelled that before. I thought I forgot to put it on in the morning. It took me a few weeks to figure out exactly what the problem was -- and I'd tried everything (change of diet, new laundry detergent, scrubbing myself like crazy, more..)

Finally I stopped using this product and within three days I was my same old sweet-smelling self.

Just as a double-check, I tried it again one day. Sure enough at the end of the day I smelled horrible -- same unique smell as before.

The rest of this product that I had went straight into the garbage bin.

Note: I've had some products work better and some work less well but this was notable in how poorly it worked AND the terrible smell it made me have (much worse than not wearing any deoderant for sure).

Could be a reaction to my particular physiology but, somehow, I think it's just a bad product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2013 12:08:00 PM More reviews by noelle001

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I probably would've smelled better if I didn't use this deodorant. It didn't prevent my body odor at all and I'm convinced that it made it worse. It also made weird spots and rashes on my armpits, just like a lot of the other reviewers said. Sorry, but I have nothing good to say about this product. Definitely not worth the price.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2013 6:59:00 AM More reviews by compacj

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate this deodorant when applied it feels really wet and when it dry it gets very sticky.I. also burn under your arms especially if it freshly shaved.If your a person that have sweaty armpits I don't recommend this.Honestly I really think that I would not recommended this to anybody.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2013 4:12:00 PM More reviews by MsVancouver

Sorry Tom, my underarms gave you a week to try out this product and I've just bought my old brand as I can't use yours one day longer. Within one week of use I've developed a painful red rash under my arms, most likely caused by the excess moisture as opposed to the ingredients. It is instantly damp when applied, which turns to sticky shortly thereafter. Reapplying mid-day is futile. To qualify, I'm not a big sweater, but I'm also not one of those people who can get by with applying deodorant just now and then.

Every negative that others are posting here rings true for me as well, with the top negative being the b.o. it seems to GIVE you. I've been meaning to try making my own deodorant based on on-line recipes, but in the meantime, have gone back to my old brand.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by pattykitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Besides making me smell terrible and worst than if I had not used anything, it created huge dark spots in my armpits. It looks like it's burned all around. It was not itchy, the stains just appeared... I have used this thing for 3 weeks and only noticed these stains today... I wish I had read the reviews before. I just saw the "natural" propaganda and... now am here, with these stains. I'm going back to Dove.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by mmerachel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Made me smell worst than normal BO. I could smell my own BO after 3 hours. When I don't use anything at all, I smell fine.
Don't buy!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by Pestina18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

General highlights: natural, aluminum-free, nice smell, sticky, doesn't last long, doesn't stop sweating |||||
--Don't expect this all-natural deodorant to work as well as other products. I wanted a deodorant that was aluminum free, and this is my main option. Take note that this is a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant. You will still sweat a little when using it. Anti-perspirants use tiny particles of aluminum that clog pores to prevent sweating and have been linked to breast cancer. Tom's doesn't use aluminum, so you will still sweat. I like that this doesn't contain aluminum, artificial fragrance, or any other "bad" chemicals.
--I use the lavender scent and it smells nice. I like that it goes on clear so I don't have to worry about annoying white deodorant marks. This stuff is actually cheaper than the old clinical strength deodorant I used to use.
--My only complaints are that it's sticky at first, so I have to wait a little while before putting a shirt on. It also doesn't last nearly as long as other deodorants. I don't usually have to reapply deodorant, but I do have to reapply with this brand. But it's not a big deal. I can get a good 4-5 hours without having to reapply, and for me a simple reapplication is worth not risking cancer from aluminum. I'm looking for a sample size I can carry around with me to make reapplication easier.

(((Update: This started drying out my skin and turning it red after about a month of use. I made my own deodorant with coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and beeswax and it works much better and lasts all day! If you want a natural deodorant, try making your own. It's really easy. Sorry, Tom's, I still love your other products!