April 19, 2014 | 1902 users online

Powder - NARS - Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2012 3:02:00 AM More reviews by missmelsie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder because I wanted a very light coverage foundation, and have been finding that liquid foundations make me oily and don't give me a natural look. I have a bit of an uneven skin tone and some dark acne scars and I just like to look more even and natural.

I purchased Syracuse, as it's a perfect match for me in the Sheer Glow formula (for reference, I find Syracuse too light for me in the Sheer Matte formula and am NC43/44 in MAC). I found Syracuse in powder foundation incredibly dark, at least several shades too dark for me - which is even more surprising considering it's low coverage!

This stuff didn't last more than a few hours on me, didn't look that great on my skin and didn't cover or even up anything. The only thing this overpriced powder is good for is as a setting powder. It's not bad for touch ups (as it does deposit a bit of colour - more so than a normal finishing powder) but you definitely can't get any mileage out of it as a foundation on its own.

I'm really disappointed as the "best" powder foundation I've tried is still MAC Studio Fix Powder, but that breaks me out so I'm trying to find an equivalent. Sadly, NARS doesn't have it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Xxkonixx

I've only used it for one day and i returned it because it makes my face much more oilier than usual. It touched up liked 5 times in the morning coz my face is just so shinnny and it's the kind of greasiness that i can feel. Besides that i still think it's a great powder foundation, has broad spectrum spf 12 which is one of the reason why i wanted to try it. Powder extremely fine milled, beautiful finish but did i mentioned that the powder costs 65 cdn plus tax here in canada...!!?? Althought it didn't work for me but i would still recommend this product for othersss........Update: gave it another try after more than a year and after my skin has settled down a bit from a major crazy outbreak after a trip to asia.........still does the same thing........left my face oily oily and oily.........had no choice but to stick back to the regular pressed powder.........

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2012 4:26:00 AM More reviews by soulsucker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After Chanel discontinued their TeintControle powder no 6, i been searching for my HG powder. tried MAC C40, just abit dark...BB too light, like no coverage.Clinique too ashy.I've got medium with golden yellow complexion which is hard to match.
so, when a friend recomm me this, i was like cool. i bght Tahoe shade.
It matches perfectly in the sunlight but under dim yellow light, i looked dark. this powder is so light, i barely feel anything...lighter than a pressed powder? so i wonder whether is it worth it?

This doesnt control oil at all and doesnt last. why are other reviewers said its lasting??

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by helloroo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: I tried to use MAC Studio Fix because it was more cost effective...nuh uh. Broke me out and the NARS powder foundation out performs it. I have stopped using it though because I find that it fades throughout the day even with primer.

This is HG material for me. I was in a foundation rut and discovered this on a whim. I was color matched in Santa Fe (which has peachy undertones) but I chose to get Barcelona which suited my NC 30-5 skin a lot better. I can't describe how this powder literally melts into your skin...it's like you're not even wearing make up! I use a flat top brush to apply one layer, put on concealer, then add another layer of foundation and this does not get cakey at all. NOT ONE BIT. I love it so much. I've honestly never felt this way about a powder foundation before. Looks great in sunlight, those awful bathroom lights, etc. For reference, I have normal/combination skin and this did not make me any oiler. Also, I have light acne scarring and this covered it seamlessly.
The price is quite hefty...$45.
Packaging: I thought I would hate this because it is really bulky but the large mirror inside is a definite plus. It comes with a sponge, which I don't use.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2012 9:42:00 AM More reviews by littlecrush

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder because I am a cook and working around grills and steam while wearing liquid foundation with my oily skin is NOT a good combination.I'm still working on my skin so that I'm comfortable going out bare-faced but until then this works just fine.It isn't full coverage but I don't need that;I just want something light.It evens out my skin and keeps me from looking like an oil slick by noon.I have the shade Syracuse and it's a perfect match.Looks natural and also has an spf.This will work great in the summer as well for lighter daytime looks.I know it'll hold up in the summer if it does while I'm slaving over grills and hot food for 8 hours a day.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/29/2012 6:35:00 AM More reviews by jjenny

nice colour match, doesnt control my oils... BROKE me out in like... 2 weeks but i use it when im jus going out to dinner with my frends cause its only 2-3 hours... by that time my face starts getting oily...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2011 10:59:00 PM More reviews by nailgrl81

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this powder. It gives my skin quite a natural glow and although it is expensive ($45, $35 for refills), you only have to use a minimal amount to make a difference. I have no issues about buying it again, because I know it will be a long time before it finishes up.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 9:14:00 PM More reviews by danaedwards

I really like this foundation, it goes on very smooth and helps even all of the skin imperfections on my face. I can really notice the higher quality after switching over from department store brands. I did get this at a cheaper price since I shop on a military base, but I'm not sure if I would pay the full price for this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by DisneyAnimeFan92

I read the reviews for this product after an SA at Sephora already recommended I buy it and matched me with the right shade (Cadiz), and I was so surprised at all the negative reviews. There's a lot that I love about this powder, so here's a summary based on the things everyone seems to be disagreeing about.

Coverage: Unlike many of the other reviewers, I found the coverage to be excellent for a powder foundation. Since it is a powder, I don't expect a completely flawless face from it -- for that, I would need both liquid and powder combined, possibly with a little concealer underneath. I have some acne, quite a few acne scars, and my skin tone is slightly uneven. This powder gets rid of roughly 95% of what I want covered, and that is perfect for the everyday wear that I need from my foundation.

I should also note that when I tried applying this with my kabuki brush, the coverage was almost nonexistant. It was only by using the sponge that comes with the compact that I was able to get the coverage I wanted, and after that, it was smooth sailing. I applied a thin layer to my entire face, then went back and added more to problem areas that needed extra coverage, and it adapted to that without caking up or making me look overdone.

Oil Control: I have VERY oily skin that destroys any foundation I attempt to put on my face, whether it's liquid or powder. This powder did pretty good with oil control and didn't melt away when I was sweating (and believe me, I sweat a lot). There was some oil breakthrough after 2-3 hours, but I didn't look like an oil slick, or even feel the need to really touch up. The oil combined with the powder and made my skin look dewy, not greasy. There was also surprisingly little transfer, and for once I got the feeling that if I hugged someone, I wouldn't leave half my makeup on their clothes.

Lasting power: The lasting power on this is also pretty good, considering how oily my skin is. I LOVE that it does not oxidize, something that every foundation I've tried seems to do at some point. Cadiz is a perfect match for my skin tone, and it stays that way all day instead of getting 2 shades darker out of nowhere. Touch-ups are required after about 3 hours if I want to keep every last acne scar covered, but the overall effect of the powder lasts all day, and it doesn't disappear and show everything by the end of the day.

Price: This is probably the only downside to the product. It is very expensive, and the refills other reviewers have mentioned are no longer available. Whether or not I buy this again will depend largely on how long it takes me to hit pan -- if it happens quickly, I may need to search for a cheaper alternative, and if it takes awhile, I might be willing to shell out the $45 when the time comes. My skin is a medium/dark brown with yellow and red undertones, and this is the ONLY powder I have tried that perfectly matches that description and gives me the coverage I want, so if that is still true when I run out, that makes it very much worth the extra money I spent on it.

Overall, this is a great product that does everything I expected it to do. It's light, comfortable to wear, hasn't broken me out like my last powder foundation (a review on that is coming shortly), matches my skin tone, looks natural, covers what I need to have covered, and is perfect for both everyday wear at school and work and for a night out. I will continue to use it and most likely repurchase,

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2011 9:06:00 AM More reviews by zigglemonster

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This powder has too light of a coverage for me. It doesn't even cover redness on the cheaks. The finish isn't that great either as I find this clings in patches around different areas of the face, probably the dry areas. Would not purchase this, and its ridiculously expensive for something so light.