Estee Lauder Take it Away Makeup remover lotion

3.6

on 9/26/2014 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I usually don't bother with makeup remover lotions or similar products. I use soap and coconut oil, and like so many other specialty products, coconut oil makes these kind of removers unnecessary for me.

I got this as a sample with a code from Sephora, and it came with free lipstick samples. I like it. It takes my mascara off without smearing it all over, which is nice. I've been using it for a little over a week. It's a very generous sample to get for free, especially with the lipsticks. It came in a 1 ounce/30ml bottle and a little goes a long way.

I have sensitive skin, so I don't use it daily on my whole face. I haven't had any of the irritation problems other people noticed, so I guess I'm just lucky - especially since the eye area/lashes is the part of my face I use it on regularly! I apply it everywhere on my neck and face when I've worn an overall foundation with a primer, and wipe it off with a baby wipe to make sure all the makeup comes off. I like using the wipes afterward because the makeup that's being removed can be clearly seen.

No complaints, it does its job. I just wouldn't normally bother buying it.

Just some friendly advice, feel free to skip it:
Coconut oil is gentle and it smells nice, and does the job a lot more economically. I've read some people have a bad reaction to coconut oil products, so if you're allergic, or it breaks you out, obviously don't use it or do the makeup remover thing the way I do! But as long as I use a little bit of virgin coconut oil on my lashes, then wash it off with regular face soap, it works fine. It's a gentle, moisturizing product and a huge jar of it cost maybe $8 and lasts a year. I'm not sure if it's true, but a lot of people say it help their eyelashes grow - I never noticed it, but it doesn't hurt them, at least. I use it to remove makeup, as lotion, and to moisturizer the ends of my hair before blow drying it. No, I'm not pushing a specific brand or anything, it's just one of those nifty products women should know about - very thrifty, you can use it tons of ways, and a tiny bit goes a long way. There've actually been studies about coconut oil and repairing hair, so that's a great thing to have around if you bleach like I do.

Sorry for the plug, but I just thought if this product was harsh on you, some natural oils that work might be a good suggestion. Sort of how it was all over when we realized Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel had all the same important ingredients as most pricey foundation primers, and was only six bucks a tube lol. I still know girls who refill their old bottles of expensive primer with that anti-chafing-gel to maintain appearances. :)

As far as this EL lotion goes, I'll probably use up my sample, it's not a bad product if you're not sensative to it. I guess I'd buy it 'again', if I bought this kind if thing regularly. :) I think it goes for about $30? It's expensive, but a little goes a long way if you try, I think.

irritated my eyes badly. The worst makeup remover I ever used.

on 3/12/2014 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

My skin is dry and sensitive. I received a sample of this lightly scented, thin lotion, makeup remover, supposedly for all skin types. It works quickly and efficiently. I used a cotton pad. It didn't irritate my skin, but I found it a little drying. I think it would be fine for those with normal skin.

on 1/11/2014 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A great makeup remover. Feels very gentle, doesn't dry out my skin, and removes everything really well. I do have to use a cleanser after because it tends to leave a residue on my skin, but it is a makeup remover, not a cleanser. I find I don't have to use very much for it to work, which is great because the bottle lasts for quite awhile. I am prone to get acne but this has not caused my face to break out, which is rare for me. Also, I love how soft my skin feels after I've used it. I don't often find skincare products that I really like, but this is something that I'll continue to buy.

on 12/11/2013 7:34:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I really love this guy! Don't know how it's "supposed to be used", but I know how it works for me! An s/a used this on me while I was trying a whole different product, and I was floored with the results. I pump 1-2 pumps on a baby wipe, and get the most gentle, effective, invigorating cleansing I've ever had. The price made me a bit uneasy, but then I saw how economical it was for me for the long run(all you need is a wipe and a pump-w/ other m/u removers I'd need @ least 2 wipes and way more product).It doesn't clog pores or make my face feel greasy on one hand,and on the other, it also doesn't burn my face or make it feel dry-my face literally feels exactly as it did before I put my makeup on, which, I believe, is the goal of a good m/u remover.

on 6/3/2013 10:32:00 PM

This is the ONLY makeup remover that I have found that removes my Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation! I've tried MAC's make up removing oil, and Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm, both with NO luck. I have to use this twice before my regular cleanser, but whatever works!!!!!!
All of you who are complaining about having an oily residue after, you are still supposed to follow with your regular cleanser afterwards. This is only a makeup remover, not a face cleanser!

on 4/10/2013 12:21:00 AM

I have a sample of this in a gift set purchased.
I'm not perfectly satisfied with how it cleanses. It does remove my makeup, but I still had to wash with regular soap afterwards or it leaves a greasy residue. I only use this as an alternative because I prefer to use Bobbi Brown Cleansing oil.

on 3/19/2013 1:48:00 PM

This product does not remove my makeup and definitely not my regular, non-waterproof mascara. After I rinse it off it leaves a greasy residue on my face and lots of makeup on my white towel and mascara under my eyes. I am extremely disappointed since I bought this based on rave reviews of how well it removes makeup. I can't believe this works well for other people since it does absolutely nothing for me.

on 10/2/2012 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

If I could rate this crappy remover a negative 1 I would! It felt like I was washing my face in acid, as every piece of skin this horrid remover came into contact with immediately began burning horribly. I couldn't get it washed off fast enough & was left with the corners of my eyes extremely inflamed & beet red. I have no idea what happened as I used the sample I received from the sales associate multiple times with no problem. Once I used the actual product from the bottle I purchased, all heck broke loose!

on 9/9/2012 9:42:00 PM

I received a sample of this makeup remover in a gift with purchase.
I find that I need a lot of product for the job despite not using this on my eyes as I have a separate eyemakeup remover for that.
I'm not thrilled with it: not the texture, not the runnyness, not the scent and not the performance.
Doesn't feel as good to my skin as Clarins Cleansing Milk with Alpine Herbs or Lancome's Galatee Confort, Creme Douceur or Huile Douceur; all of these are followed by my skin cleaser.
Yes, I am a skin care junkie, and this one does not fit my bill. :)