Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/13/2011 11:05:00 AM

I was really skeptical of using a box dye for red hair as it seems like red and blonde are the two riskiest colors when it comes to self-dyeing (more of a chance that it'll look fake, etc.) I had previously had my hair colored auburn in a salon, so I was just looking to touch up my roots and brighten it up as it had faded quite a bit. Despite my fears of having orange- or purple-hued hair, I bought this *solely* based on Makeupalley reviews and prayed for the best. It came out wonderfully. This is actually the color that I wanted it to be when i got it done in the salon, but it didn't come out quite this bright before. On me, it is not quite as bright as the color on the box, but it's still definitely a vibrant reddish auburn and it looks extremely realistic, even in natural light. I applied this for 20 minutes on the roots (my hair is naturally a dirty blonde) and an extra 7 on the length of my hair, and the color came out very uniformly throughout. I have self-colored my hair before using Natural Instincts (not red), and I feel like this formula is slightly dryer than that one, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it did make it slightly more difficult to distribute through my bra strap-length hair. This cost $3.34 at my Target... a complete steal. I will absolutely be repurchasing.

on 7/30/2011 1:10:00 AM

This is a beautiful red for the price. It came out fairly dark on me because my hair was a dark brown before I dyed it. It did leave my hair in pretty bad condition though. I had been using demi permanent color for awhile and forgot how tangled my hair gets with box color. It would be VERY hard to comb through for the first three weeks every time I showered.

on 6/27/2011 9:53:00 PM

I use Colorsilk usually in Light Golden Brown but decided to go back to red. This color came out beautiful and my only regret is that I did not go back to reds sooner.

It covered my gray really well, doesn't bad that bad and my hair felt good after I used their conditioner. I know the color will not last as long as I'd like just because reds all fade fast but since I color every few weeks, it's not an issue.

on 6/11/2011 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After reading a lot of reviews on hair color, I decided to give this one a try. My reason for trying this one were the color results mentioned in several reviews. I hate nothing more than so-called auburns that turn burgundy or, even worse, purple. My color turned out very even and natural, but lighter than anticipated, lighter than pictured on the box. I have naturally light ash brown hair and expected a darker result.

What I liked:
My hair did turn a lovely auburn, in the orangy-copper direction, and not the dreaded burgundy. We will see how well this is going to last. The color gel washed out easy and fast.

What I did not like:
Is has a runny texture, once the color is mixed. The bottle is white plastic, so you cannot see how much you have left. With most colors, I am good with one bottle, and with this color it took two (but no big deal for the price). The color did not smell much, but the conditioner has a very chemical smell. Even though, my hair is dry now, it still smells very strong. My hair felt coarse and rough after washing out the color gel, but feels ok for now, after the conditioner.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. I may be going back to Perfect 10.

UPDATE: After washing my hair several times now, it still feels pretty good. The color lightened up a little more, so it looks more like Light Auburn, instead of Medium Auburn. However, I have had the same experience with other brands before. I may change my mind after all and buy this color again. Maybe I will go to Dark Auburn later in the year. One lippie up for not frying my hair after all.

I used to use this brand of hair dye when I dyed my hair. It works extremely well if you use a great shampoo/conditioner/deep conditioner. Though, unlike the brown/black one, which gives you the exact color it says it will.. This one gives you weird brown/blonde color, not a medium auburn color. It still came out very nice, though. i'd buy it again if I were to dye my hair that color.

on 1/5/2011 4:55:00 PM

I am VERY satisfied with how this hair color turned out, especially that it was the first time I ever colored my hair. I used to have light brown hair and the change it did to my hair looked absolutely natural. The conditioner it came with made my hair really soft also. And the price was really cheap too.. Around 2.89 in walmart! The only downside about this product is that it didnt come with a dye brush, but other than that, I highly recommend this product.

on 12/12/2010 1:40:00 PM

I was looking for a medium to dark auburn as I have been coloring my hair for years. There are a lot of reds that turn purple or pink or just plain ugly. this product is not one of those. The color came out almost identical to the box... Maybe a little more ruby than the almost orange tint of the box but in a pretty way. The gloves were on the cheap side and the bottle was also a little cheap. It was not see
Through and you had to cut the tip. Neither of these affected the function of the product. There was the normal chemical smell while using the color but somehow when you put the conditioner on it magically got ridmofmit. It smelled pretty good. Even my fiancÚ thought so and he hates the smell of hair color. I can't believe I waited so long to try this out just because it was the cheapest product in the store. I even got amcomplimentnfrom a stranger on day one outside a gas station which means it passes the sunlight test at looking natural. Hurray three dollar hair color!

on 9/6/2010 8:39:00 AM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I used this color on a friend. Her starting color was light golden brown. The medium auburn is absolutely gorgeous. It's a natural looking auburn, but it's more of a ruby red. The nice thing about this is, it fades into a natural looking color, not a fakey blah washed out red. It turned out so nice I wouldn't mind having this color myself. We did leave it on for 35 minutes before rinsing. She went 4 days without washing her hair after coloring, which seemed to "set in" the color better for her, including using a color protecting shampoo and conditioner. If you are thinking of trying on a red, this is a good start.

on 3/30/2010 5:33:00 PM

I tried Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn and it's TERRIFIC. The colour looks natural and it covers gray well. It leaves my hair just as nice and conditioned as L'Oreal does but costs WAY less. At $2.97 at Walmart, it's a steal.
My hair grows fast so I have to touch-up often, every 3 weeks or so. That could be why I don't really notice any fadeout of colour.
The only reason that I stated that I won't buy this product again is because I've gone to a lighter red colour of Revlon Colorsilk now. Same great product but light auburn.

on 2/12/2010 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My honey blonde hair has "matured" into a dark blonde with very red to copper undertones. The problem for me was that the undertones did not fully reveal themselves until after a hair disaster. On the surface, the strands looked medium ash blonde. After the blonde dye was applied, my hair came out carrot orange. So five years ago, after my last and worst hair color/hairdresser disaster, I took matters back onto my own hands and started to color my hair again. I went through various products and Natural Instincts (NI) proved to be the most successful and natural.

The shades for auburn in NI are somewhat limited (though I love the Hot Cocoa) and so I decided, after careful study and even hair board discussion, to use the Medium Auburn. The results are fantastic, nearly identical to the gal on the box! What more can you ask? The price at $3.99 a box is about half of NI but that's because there is about 2/3 the amount of product. It's not a complaint, just a statement of fact. I used 2 boxes of this hair color which was still a tiny fraction of the cost of any hair salon job, and I ended up with shiny, soft, medium auburn hair with coppery highlights. The "goop" is thicker than the NI "goop" which for me was a plus. There was less mess and virtually no odor.

I left the dye on my hair (just below chin length bob with bangs, and I have a lot of hair) for 30 minutes. The only grays I've got (knock on wood) are a few silver strands in the sideburns so I can't attest to the product's ability to cover gray (once the hair comes in gray, it's bye-bye auburn and hello ash blonde), but the shade from this product is extremely natural-looking. The conditioner with it is strongly fragranced but I always use the supplied conditioner because I think that it somehow helps to process and lock in the color.

I'll wash my hair next week and will update if the color fades significantly. The nicest thing about this product is that it dyed my hair evenly; Natural Instincts tended to grab the ends of the hair more. Any gal trying to color her own hair and intending to do it every 8 weeks (my present timeframe) ought to try this product. My husband commented that the color is a lot like the l'Oreal Copper Penny which I used a time or two in the 90's. Maybe an older copper penny, but I love it.