October 21, 2014 | 1280 users online

Treatments (Face) - Avon - Anew Alternative Intensive Age Treatment [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2009 12:16:00 AM More reviews by lchoe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was introduced to this product by a 39 year old colleague who has an incredible peaches and cream complexion that is also velvet-like, and looks "air brushed". She said this product and their eye cream is all she uses. As I use Natura Bisse, etc., I was intrigued (and relieved by the price point).

I used Avon Anew when they first came out with the AHA cream back in the early 1990s. It worked (I was 26-27) in smoothing fine lines, etc. but the cream was too heavy/rich for me and I stopped after 2 jars.

I prefer a pump application or tube to a jar however here are some of the great pros: light mousse-like texture that spreads easily and absorbs quickly, leaves a matte finish with no stickiness. I can easily layer a moisturizer, then a sunscreen on top and still feel my face is "light" (I'm very claustrophobic to heavy/rich/sticky face products). I feel a slight sting/tingle but I don't mind as I feel that it means it's busy doing its work! I like to use my Jan Marini C-Esta Serum on top (this duo really seems to work). Depending on the weather, I can top those off with a light moisturizer and sunscreen with comfort. Luckily for me, the scent does not offend me at all (slightly herbal to me).

After the first day, I could already tell a difference in my skin and after the 2nd day, I was already getting compliments from people at work; my skin looked softer, smoother and brighter (and personally smaller pores/slightly firmer skin). After a week, it was eating up acne, acne scars, etc. This product is not strong enough to conquer brown age spots, melasma, etc. - a more specialized product is needed for those issues. This is a GREAT, EFFECTIVE, QUICK ACTING product (for the right skin type and for those who don't mind the smell) that improves the condition and the look of your skin. When I feel I look a little dull, I always make sure to use this product and I immediately look more "bright, soft and smooth".

I am Korean, 43 and people guess I'm 28 - 33. I have combination skin (dry in winter, slightly oily in summer however very prone to plugged pores and occasional breakouts). I use: various Natura Bisse, DHC Olive Oil Cleanser, Jurlique, MD Forte, & Caudalie moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2009 1:34:00 PM More reviews by mayrei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about six months, in conjunction with with Avon retexturizing peel and the Ultimate night cream. My skin looks significantly better. My skin has lost that crepey texture it was starting to get, my acne scars have faded significantly, and the overall texture has greatly improved. The cream has a nice, soothing feel, and absorbs fairly quickly. It works great under a foundation primer to make my mineral makeup go on smoothly and flawlessly.
    ----------------------------------
    Unfortunately, the smell is awful, but it fades within about 30 minutes. I've noticed that some jars have a worse smell than others, not sure why that is.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/18/2009 10:34:00 AM More reviews by lasinger711

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Avon Anew Alternative Intensive Age Treatment AGED my face drastically and immediately. I had no undereye wrinkles. The day after I used it the first time, I woke up with crepey wrinkled skin under my eyes. I thought it was because I had had a late night. I continued to use it believing it might be a case of getting worse before it got better.
    No such luck. Three weeks later, my face, which at 47 is actually quite clear of wrinkles and only has a slight droop, looked like the face of a vampire who just got hit by the sun; shriveled, dried, and old.
    The last day I used it, I had gone about my day before washing my face. When I looked in the mirror later in the day, my cheeks were beet red with chapping, there were deep lines everywhere and my eyes looked crinkled and wrinkled and awful.
    I happen to go to the dermatologist with my daughter for her appt that day. The dermatologist gave me some retinyl-a cream. I combined that with my home-made moisturizer (all veggie butters and essential oils) and woke up with much relieved and hydrated skin.
    I DO NOT recommend use of this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2009 12:53:00 PM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like many of us in this economy (or maybe it's just common sense finally setting in!) I am looking to spend less on products without compromising quality. My trusted hairstylist gave me an AVON catalog and said she'd had good luck with many products so I thought, "why not?" I took the skincare quiz online and purchased two Anew Alternative cremes on special. I've read the reviews and while I admit the "fragrance" isn't great, it does seem to fade away. I have to say I LOVE the products themselves: the absorption is great and my skin looks better upon application. My fine lines "disappear" and I do see a difference in the morning. I know this is all smoke and mirrors, more or less. But I'll play along.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Princesa7

This was my HG when I was using it. This is my fave from the Anew line,but after a longtime of using it I noticed I was constantly getting headaches after I applied it cuz of the scent. I took a lippie off for that. I would go back to using this if the made it fragrance free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2008 9:23:00 PM More reviews by my3sons5

I purchased a couple sample sized jars and am just about through with the first jar. I like this. I use it in conjunction with Anew Clearly C at night and also before I apply sunblock/moisturizer in the morning. My skin is very pale and smooth in the morning, so this appears to be a superior exfoliant. The jury is still out, but so far I am pleased.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2008 4:38:00 PM More reviews by love4chanel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The smell is disgusting, but it fades away pretty fast. The texture is smooth and works well for my fairly oily skin at night. Did not make me break out. I don't really care for jar -type containers as I always feel they get contaminated with continued use. The price is not bad because the product lasts for a while.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by py07

I bought a jar of Avon Alternative Intensive Age Treatment following relatively glowing reviews on this product at MUA to treat my cyst-prone skin.

After 6 weeks of use (one jar), my cysts has disappeared and I'm pretty happy with it! However, whiteheads are still visible on my lower chin, so I wouldn't recommend this product for anyone who is going after whiteheads on their face.

The smell of this product isn't great, it doesn't bother me though. Knowing that most fruity type smells in most moisturisers are probably synthetic anyway, I would think that the 'natural' smell of this product is due to the absence of smell enhancing additives.

As per other reviewers, I have found this product to absorb really well into my skin, which is great. It's not greasy and rarely do I worry about half of the product going on my pillows.

I have combination skin and this product is some-what lacking in the moisturising department. My skin doesn't feel that it's been moisturised adequately (especially on my cheeks) and I usually use another night cream following this step.

One complaint that I have is: The product is pretty pricey through the Avon website and it's a lot cheaper if you get it from an Avon rep.

Still, it's been great so far, I've re-ordered another 3 jars!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/12/2008 8:23:00 AM More reviews by tourmalinequeen

I bought this on the recommendation from a new book, published this year, on skin care, what works and what doesn't. I have used this for about 8 wks now and have seen little, if any difference, in my skin. No better, no worse than anything else. Goes to show you can't believe everything you read, no matter if it comes from an 'expert' or not! Yesterday on Oprah, Dr. Oz said to use a treatment contained anti oxidants (vitamins). Is his advice any better?

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2008 10:34:00 AM More reviews by lisasmith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't buy avon products normally but based on the reviews here I ordered this from the avon website when it was on special offer for 10 with free delivery. It's the biggest beauty bargin ever ! After using it once my face felt smoother and all the little bumps and itches had gone down noticably. I've been using it for nearly 5 weeks now and its nearly all gone so I have re-ordered it . Avon seem to be constantly changing their offers and bargins and I have got it on a different cheap offer , but i would certainly have paid the full price of 15. My face is the softest and clearest it has been for a long time. It's not perfect but it is heaps better.
    It isn't the best smelling face cream in the world but the smell disappears about 20 minutes after putting it on , and it's worth it to me for the results.
    I should probably mention that after a week i liked this so much I got the avon anew clinical peel pads which i use every other night before this cream which I think enhances the effects.
    The reason I'm only giving this a four instead of a five is because it hasn't done much to diminish my age spots yet. I think they may be very slightly better but I will carry on using this and come back and edit this review if there is a big change later on.
    UPDATE After using this for nearly 6 months my age spots haven't changed at all. At least they haven't got worse ,and no new ones have appeared. I still love it as a night cream though.