July 29, 2014 | 1949 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Semi-Matte Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2013 2:25:00 AM More reviews by purplescarf6

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

If you're reading this review right now you might realize that I had already written a review on this. It was a huge, raving review that probably hardly anyone was able to get through. That was mine. I deleted it, b/c reading back through it hardly any of the info is accurate for me at this point, so if you read it and know what I'm talking about disregard it. First off, I'd been using this foundation for about 2 years, for a couple of reasons:
1. It's fairly inexpensive.
2. It is one of two foundations I've found in the dozen+ I've tried that matched my super-pale skin to a T. (I use the "Fair" color.) (The other is Drew Barrymore's Flower brand foundation, which I use the LF1 color.)
3. It has minimal ingredients and they don't irritate my skin (no oils or fragrance).
I knew it worked pretty well for me so I kept going back to it. There are a few reasons I'm looking for a new foundation, however.
1. I don't like the finish. It's powdery and a bit cakey-looking and settles in the creases around my nose.
2. It doesn't last all day. It looks noticeably faded by the time I get home from school (7 hours after putting it on).
3. I'm finding that I like the feel, application, and overall experience of liquid foundations better.
4. I have to order it online. This probably isn't too big of a deal for most people but I just prefer being able to go to my local Wal-Mart or Bartell's and have it in my hands immediately.
Overall, if you really prefer mineral foundation this is what I'd recommend, but if your preference isn't in the mineral category I wouldn't say this is the best out there. I won't be repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by Llehshar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased this in light neutral and light tan. It seemed to work okay, obviously, because I reperchaded. However when the hot and humid Hawaii summer rolled around this would make my forehead itch whenever I began to sweat or produce oil. It also did not control oil in the summer. I might use the light tan for a bronzer in the future but other than that ill stick to jojoba base which doesn't make me itchy.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by ratyj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I expected so high on EDM base. However the semi-matte formula disappoints me a lot. I've got the shade sunkissed-fair which is a good match. The powder is fine milled and easy to apply evenly. But NO coverage at all. I don't like so much mica too. The shiny mica enlarges my pores. Moreover, it does not last long. I feel nothing left on the face after the lunch. Well in my opinion semi-matte formula is far from a foundation base. The matte formula and intensive formula are better than this one. Anyway I think I won't buy any EDM powder in the future. Alima Pure is 10x butter than EDM.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by tennis4life

I was so disappointed with this product. I really wanted to love it. I purchased the samples from the website (which I thought were very generous) for a vacation because I wanted to travel lightly. I have to say that all the formulations of this powder that I tried covered my acne breakouts and redness very well. My skin looked very good when I wore these powders. I couldn't believe how good my skin looked, actually. However after a few weeks of use, my forehead broke out in little bumps/pimples that I don't normally get. The texture on my forehead was horrible...a bumpy, greasy mess. Once I stopped using the powder, those types of breakouts cleared up, but I still had my regular breakouts. I'm not sure what was in the powder that caused the breakouts, maybe the mica? I never had these issues when I used Bare Minerals. It's unfortunate, because I do think that the product was good for evening out my skin and covering up the imperfections, but it did not agree with my skin. Just my two cents.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

My skin is very acne-prone with enlarged pores, but still hyperpigmentation and some dryness on the surface cause of the retin-A that I use....

This semi-matte formula is nothing for me! Almost enlarges pores, does not have coverage enough to hide imperfections... It doesn't solve my two main problems; the pores and discoloration and redness.... Also I think it's too sparkling!

If you need a similar foundation that is "semi-matte", or at least with just a little coverage, Alima pure is better.... Their foundation does not cover too much, but still doesn't sparkle and hides pores a little better...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2012 7:27:00 AM More reviews by Ammba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this mineral foundation. It's more difficult to apply compared to liquid foundations but it looks so natural. especially when applied with water

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2012 1:38:00 AM More reviews by minnaC

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

After trying 5 different sample shades, I picked the Medium Beige Neutral semi-matte base. It was hard to tell which color was right from the swatches on the website and I'm still not sure if it's the right color because my skin is getting lighter. Anyway, I like the semi-matte base. It gives light but buildable covering using a flat top powder brush. It does not control oil though on my combination-oily skin. Might have made me break out a bit, or maybe hormonal or other causes. I'm planning to continue using it to see whether it is the cause of break outs, hopefully it's not! I might invest in another color, probably a lighter one, since the price point is pretty nice :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 12:03:00 AM More reviews by Treasa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so disappointed in this company. I was a loyal customer for years and was devastated to see that they had discontinued the intensive formulas that I loved. Customer service were nice but were not able to offer any meaningful advice on what I could purchase to replace the formula that I used. In the last few months I have tried dozens of samples of different bases including the semi matte and they all have been so disappointing.
The semi matte coverage is awful--its impossible to find a match for my skin tone and it just builds up to a caked look when I apply to get any sort of coverage. I have had friends ask me if I am alright. I look horrible with this semi matte stuff. I am so disappointed with whoever in this company made the decision to discontinue mineral makeup that was so good. Additionally I broke out, horrible blotches and small sores on my face-----not a good product for me.
Definitely would not purchase.
I have stated to try the Jojoba which is wonderful. The only problem is that it is very dark so hopefully this company will bring out lighter colours

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2012 5:46:00 AM More reviews by amandafailureprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using this product after the initial formulation change (adding Lauryl Lisine) and it hasn't seemed to affect my skin negatively at all. One thing I will say though is that after over 2 years of using the stuff, I too have one foot out the door with this company. I LOVED the now discontinued Original Glow formula more than this one, but this one is almost as good. Smooth, even, full, creamy coverage that still looks natural because of the slight sheen. OG was even better for this. And that is why I'm getting sick of this company. Constant reformulation and discontinuation is no good for the customer. Now in an attempt to please the rioting anti-LL people there is not one but TWO different formulations without it (IT - which is terribly dry and mask-like and Jojoba - slightly better, still very dry though, and with inexplicably totally different shade names that are confusing and limited) and Original Glow and some of the best concealers and brighteners ever (Aussie Perk Me Up - RIP!) have been killed off. That sucks! I'm definitely going to kick it into high gear to start looking for a replacement for this formula (Semi-Matte), since it seems EDM is trying too hard to please everyone at once and in the process screwing up. Some of us out there are fine with LL and like the glowy look! I have tried over 10 mineral foundations without added silkening ingredients and they are a masky, oxidizing nightmare for my extremely oily skin. This one works great - for now.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by alynnn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I just finished trying out all of my free samples from EDM, and I have to say that this makeup is AWESOME! I have fairly sensitive skin, and I have not had any problems with this makeup. I tried a sample of 4 different colors of foundation (they call their foundation base) in semi-matte and the it formula. I also sampled the finishing dust and one blush. All for $4 total because you have to pay shipping. I have seen some reviews that dock points from EDM because they say it looks like makeup, but I am pretty sure that those people did not find their correct color match. The linen, fair and fairly light neutral were NOT my color match. They still looked good and blended nicely, they just did not look as natural overall. The fairly light was the best match for me. Even my husband approves, and he normally thinks I should not bother with any makeup!

My one and only complaint on this makeup would be the numerous choices. I almost left their site and gave up all-together. Base? Face? Finishing powder? I had no clue where to start. I am glad I did a little research and figured out that the base IS the foundation, and it is really all that you need. The blush and finishing powder were nice extras since you get to try 7 samples for free (plus $4 shipping)!

A few additional facts:

1. Customer service with EDM is fantastic! I ordered Thursday NIGHT, and I received immediate order confirmation and tracking number. The order arrived Monday. I also emailed them to inquire about the amount of product in their big size, and they emailed back within an hour!

2. I also ordered a sampler from Faerie Organics. The shipping on FO took a lot longer, so I tried EDM simply because it came first in the mail. I like it so much I might not even bother to try FO! But that said, EDM big size foundation is $12.99 for only 4.8 g. FO is $18.50 but comes with 9 g. This means that price per gram, EDM is actually more expensive. So, I will give FO a try too once I am all done testing out my EDM.

Bottom line: You should order your 7 free samples ($4 shipping) ASAP!!! Definitely worth a try.