September 23, 2014 | 1879 users online

Treatments (Face) - Alpha Hydrox - AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by Lizard31

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Over the years I have used a lot of products from Alpha Hydrox (10% lotion, 10% cream, swipes, 14% serum, 12% soufflé), etc.

When I first tried the 12% soufflé a few years ago, I felt it was a little harsh. I didn't like the jar packaging and the product eventually began to dry up due to nonuse.

Fast forward to now and I decided to give it another shot after seeing the packaging updated to a tube and also after building up a bit of a tolerance to AHAs by using the 10% cream and lotion.

I've been using this for about a month now and I'm very pleased with how smooth my skin is, how my spots have lightened (including some patchiness and spottiness from my last pregnancy) and how much clearer my pores seem. In the morning, all my pesky little forehead bumps are gone.

I use this at night after my Clarisonic and I plan to continue with it. It absorbs more readily than the cream and I have no redness or irritation. I don't use it every night -- I think it's a good idea to have a night off from AHAs every few days and I like to rotate in some of my other favorite products.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/22/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

UPDATE 11/2013 So now months later, I have to lower my initial rating. At first this worked fine. No issues whatsoever. I was excited it was shrinking my pores noticeably and making my skin softer and a little brighter. Fast forward two months and I have stopped using this all together. Beyond the minimal, initial improvements I have seen NO other positive benefits. When I tried to increase using to twice a day, my skin freaked out. It got super dry and blotchy. When I went back to once a day, nothing (good or bad) happened. For others with more tolerant skin, using twice a day may do wonders. But for me, using once a day is not enough and twice a day too much, no matter how little I used the second time. I wish I was loving this as much as everyone else but I think I am going to "gift" the rest of this to my mom and hope she fares better...

I am two weeks into using this product and so far I am pleased. I bought this hoping to even out my skin tone, fade old acne marks, refine my pores and blur my fine lines. So far this has shown promise in helping these issues. I am new to AHA's so I eased into it by using a small amount, once a day. I did notice a few spots pop up but nothing out of the ordinary; if anything they were far more fleeting than usual. So far I love the texture it gives my skin and the improvement in my skin tone (it's more "glowy" then on it's own).

Acne is not a huge issue for me but I have (had) a small handful of blackheads (gross!) on my nose that have been there for a while. With two weeks' use they are GONE. ALL of them! For that alone, this purchase was well worth it. I found this on Amazon for $11. Even though the picture shows a jar, I got a tube, which I appreciate for portability and hygiene. Today is my first day using morning and night so I am hoping the results will only get better, not worse (updates will come if the latter happens). I think I may have found the missing piece of my skincare routine to take it to the next level.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2013 9:19:00 AM More reviews by Muriel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This would be perfect for me if it moisturized as well, but unfortunately leaves my face rather tight-feeling. I prefer not to use multiple products, so will leave this for others to enjoy as it is effective, and love Alpha Hydrox the company - great products, great people!
Also, the packaging claims they are cruelty-free, but until they are leapingbunny.org certified, I must be suspicious.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2013 9:43:00 AM More reviews by mrskittypepper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading all the good reviews on this product I was hopeful it would work for me but it caused me to break out unfortunately. Granted I was not using it for anti-aging effects, I was using it for acne due to the glycolic acid. Glycolic acid is the only thing that helps my acne. I currently use the alpha hydrox face cleanser and the oil free glycolic acid face gel which works wonders for me not to mention the glycolic acid is helping remove acne marks which is an added bonus. I thought maybe the souffl would work well as a night cream since I wanted something more moisturizing at nighttime but after using it I noticed some acne so I stopped using it thinking maybe it was another product and then I started up again only using the souffl and I got acne again, so I sadly had to stop. I also noticed my face less oily after I stopped using it so not only was it causing acne but it also made my face oilier. So now I just use the alpha hydrox gel along with aloe gel at night and thats enough moisturizing. I think if my face was dry or if I had dry aging skin it would maybe work better? However everyones skin works differently. The price was reasonable so I would recommend someone with dry skin or dry and aging skin to give it a try because other people seem to love it, however if you have acne prone oily skin that gets clogged pores easily I would not recommend it, try the alpha hydrox oil free glycolic acid gel instead, it works for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by hiddencat2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So props to them for finally putting the product in a tube. I bought it to try it out and the morning after I applied it, every pore on my chin and jawline was clogged and itchy. I never break out there so it's definitely not purging. I'm not very acne prone either- I can get away with a lot of potential cloggers. But this was a no go for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2012 2:28:00 PM More reviews by suzyqz1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to say kudos to the folks at Alpha Hydrox for this product! For the price, I don't think I've ever used anything else that makes my skin glow like this stuff does. Yes it's a jar and I would prefer it wasn't. Yes, it sometimes stings my skin but I get used to it again. Yes, the smell is a bit funky. More importantly, yes, my skin glows and my pores shrink when I use this regularly. This product seems to make more of a visible difference than my retinol products and for me, that is huge. Everything I use is better when I use this formulation regularly. Moisturizers sink in better, foundation goes on smoother, etc. It has a good concentration of glycolic acid for the price. I have pretty fair skin without a huge amount of sun damage but it's still aging and doesn't turn over cells like it once did. No matter what age I've been, this product has been incredible. When I was younger, it help with lessening the production of oil in my skin and now it helps brighten it up. This product doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles and added ingredients but for a glycolic acide product, I find that to be important. I like the fact that the Alpha Hydrox folks don't tinker a lot with their products. This refines my skin like nothing else and is a lot cheaper than the retinol product I also use and I feel more effective. It is an acid so some stinging may occur but my skin is tough so I don't really mind. It's a small price to pay in my opinion. Once again, just because a product is inexpensive doesn't mean it isn't effective. I'm a label reader and have been for some time and that is what mainly influences what I purchase.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2012 12:31:00 AM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried this because of all the rave reviews this souffle was getting. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my sensitive skin. Don't get fooled by the name of this product (like I did) -- it isn't a "souffle". I thought it was going to be a light, airy cream. However, turns out that it is really thick and oily. I wasn't that disappointed though, because I don't have oily skin so usually my skin absorbs rich products just fine. But this was way too oily for me. The oily film from the cream just kind of sits on top of my face without sinking in. Not a good feeling.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by IHaveAPieProblem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm going to take a minute to brag that I was one of the first to bring the Alpha Hydrox trend to the skincare board - way back when they had pictures of old ladies on their boxes! Over a decade later, they're still one of the very few brands who bring quality, effective ingredients, and at a shockingly reasonable price point.

An effective AHA (right formulation, pH, and %) - which this and all of their products have been for me - is kind of like a miracle for skin, making it smooth as a baby's bottom, helping with acne for me more than BHAs ever did, and lightening stubborn red spots I'd had for 3-5 years to a noticeable degree within 4 days, and completely with continued use. (The sun has a tendency to 'stain' red spots, though, so you have to use sunscreen - the right kind and amount - to fade the spots and keep them from coming back.)

This is currently my favorite of the line. It's a little more moisturizing than the "Oil Free" or "Enhanced" versions, it's a slightly higher percent AHA (12% instead of 10%), it 'whips up' and spreads so well that I can use less than other versions, and there's no sea kelp in it (which can aggravate acne), unlike the Oil Free.

My two complaints are that: 1) even though makeup wears well under it, it has a tendency to feel thick and heavy on my oily skin; and 2) the jar is just unsanitary.

It's a truly great product, though, and I'll continue to repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 11:29:00 PM More reviews by javachip00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't believe it! This has significantly improved my acne-prone skin. I've been using it for a couple months (maybe not even that), and I feel SO much better about my face. I wouldn't have even considered going to a drugstore or gas station without makeup on before, and now I'm already OK with it. My skin looks like it has "healed" since it used to look raw. I've also changed some other products in my daily regimen, like switching from Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Scrub to Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel, which I'm sure makes a huge difference.

I use this at night and the Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Treatment during the day. I also don't use foundation anymore- only tinted moisturizer and a little loose powder!

The only thing I'd change about this is the packaging, as many people have already stated. But I dab a finger in the jar right after washing my hands and using a fresh paper towel, so it doesn't seem too bad. The price is outstanding, considering what it has done for me. I've purchased expensive serums from Estee Lauder and didn't see any improvement from those. I also recommended this to my younger sister who has acne issues like me. Her acne has dramatically decreased in just a month of using this. Recommend!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2012 7:06:00 PM More reviews by xolilcutiexo989

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So i tried this on my face and it made it all dry and red on different spots of my cheeks and chin. I tried everything and the redness won't go down! i am never going to buy this product again! don't waste your money.