Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

3.2

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

Cannot live w/o this. The only face primer to use! Been my go to for years & when tempted with other brands to try theirs. They fail. So worth the money, it's an investment.

on 3/9/2015 9:40:00 AM

So far I have not bought a full size product, but I have used several generous sample/travel sizes of this. I have combination skin; my main concern is my t-zone, especially my nose which is always red and shiny (flattering, I know). For me, this primer does make a difference. It's subtle, but instead of melting off my t-zone and nose, my foundation stays put for the day with this. For reference, I use ysl touche eclat foundation or the Dior skin nude - both of which have a beautiful finish but poor lasting power on my skin without primer. As others have said, this product has a very siliconey feel which does concern me slightly. But it gives a nice blurred effect to the skin, and my skin hasn't reacted to it. I don't think that this product makes enough of a difference to wear alone without foundation. I will buy a full sized version of this primer, but I am still looking for something better.

on 3/9/2015 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was so ecstatic to try this product and I wore it for almost a year before I realized it was the cause of my breakouts, rashes, and horrible itching on my cheek and chin area. It went from mild acne to red, bumpy flare ups that would leave rough patches all over my face. I even ended up going to the doctor a couple of times because I didn't know why my skin was breaking out in rashes so bad. My doctor thought it was eczema and even started treating me with creams. I started using a sample of the urban decay pore less face primer recently to try it out and I noticed instantly my flare ups stopped. I then figured out the smash box primer was the culprit!' It might work well for others but absolutely is not for me.

I am through drinking the Kool Aid on this one. Over a couple of years I went through several samples of this, and almost 2 years ago I finally bought a full-size that I am now almost out of. My faith in it has just gone down gradually because when I need it to perform it just....doesn't. At first I used to use primers only for "big night out" makeup....i.e. by the time you've had a few cocktails you cease to care too much about your foundation, and you basically forget about it. Well, it's easy under those circumstances. However, a couple times I've tried putting this on in the early a.m. when I had, like, a presentation to give at 4 p.m. So I really wanted to look fresh near the end of the day and I wanted my makeup to look just as it had in the morning when I applied it. Not like I'd gone greasy and everything was wearing off. And I have found over repeated trials under different temperature and skin conditions, it does not help my skin hold onto foundation. It just makes no appreciable difference. I am frustrated and wish I could find a primer that works. I have a feeling it is not the fault of the Smashbox product but just silicone based primers in general that are not working for me.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I have two samples of this product and I used to use this everyday but now I don't. I loved the silkiness and how it glided on but I know it was silicone which I'm not a huge fan of. The elf dupe is cheaper but has more harmful ingredients. I have never broken out from this primer which I've heard has happened to some. I can tell that my foundation stays on a bit longer than without it. It also seems to glide on like silk with applying with this primer underneath. Mixed feelings but it's good primer.

By far the best primer I have tried. Goes on smooth and makes my makeup look perfect all day. Only complaint is the price! Holy moly it's expensive

on 2/22/2015 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I got a sample of this from Sephora, and was able to get a few uses out of it. I did love the way it felt going on my skin, but I probably wouldn't purchase a full size, simply because I couldn't really tell a difference in using it with foundation vs. using my foundation without it.

on 2/21/2015 4:38:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This product has absolutely ruined my skin. I've always had flawless skin and rarely had spots, until I used this primer. My skin doesn't tend to react to things, so when I see reviews like this I just ignore them. After a week or two of wearing this primer I got loads of hard white spots on my chin area which were literally impossible to get rid of. In the end I had o go to my doctor who prescribed me an acne cream to get rid of them. The primer itself is okay, I didn't feel as though it was better than any drugstore primers I've used.

on 2/14/2015 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Honestly, I don't like this Primer. I got a sample of it from a Sephora purchase and I was still oily. I was excited when I got it because it's high end and I do use high end concealer, foundation and some eyeshadows, never high end primer... The Ulta Matte primer I use is actually better than this. At least I have a practically full bottle of that!

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Never thought about using a primer before until this little bottle caught my eye. At first it seemed ridiculously expensive for such a small bottle but when I tested it, I realized why. A little bit of product goes a long way, literally use less than a droplet of it every time I apply my make-up and it covers my whole face so the size of the bottle will really last a long time. And it really does work! My base make-up goes on a lot smoother because of the primer, and I've noticed it is also helping my skin as the foundation is not sitting directly on my skin. I am yet to try the different type of primers from the smashbox collection, but if like myself you're a bit unsure of which one to choose this is a perfect first primer.

Pros:
- a little product goes a long way
- helps with make-up application&longevity
- feels great on the skin

Cons:
- slightly on the expensive side

Overall:
- Considering I never used a primer before, I don't know how I can now live without it! Had it for a couple of months now and the bottle is still almost full, it will last me a long time but when it runs out I will definitely be buying it again!