Kanebo KATE super sharp liner

4.3

on 10/29/2011 2:39:00 AM

Bought this in BK-1 from Ebay (all up with p&h, it costed $AUD13.75). I have very oily skin and my lids are no exception! I've been looking for an eyeliner that allows me to draw thin lines for an everyday look and won't smudge for a very long time (I've tried Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel liner and although it's a great liner, it still smudged/transferred). Anyway, I am very happy with this buy, it's perfect for a natural everyday look! And for reference, I use this alone, without any eyelid primer.

Pros:
- super duper thin brush that keeps its shape
- Matte finish
- Buildable colour; 1 application comes out as a grey-black but you can get it to a true black with about 3 applications (it looks like calligraphy ink to me)
- Does not smudge (I even rubbed my eye and nothing happened!)
- Does not transfer to my lower lids
- Very travel/handbag friendly packaging design: the lid clicks shut (very securely) so you don't have to worry about it coming off and being destroyed in your bag. Also it's quite small compared to other liners, it's 11.5cm in length.
- Easy to remove with standard makeup remover.

Cons:
- Requires multiple applications to become a true black (which would be a con for most people, but I don't mind it because having this spectrum means I can achieve varying intensities)
- The intensity of the colour does wear off throughout the day, so you might want to apply if this would be something that bothers you
- The formula does feather a little into the creases of my skin, not extremely noticeable but the edges of your lines aren't as sharp towards the end of the day.

Overall: I think it's perfect for people new to liquid eyeliners because the buildable colour makes it hard to notice mistakes. It's perfect for people looking for a more 'natural' looking eyeliner that's subtle enough for everyday wear. AND it doesn't smudge/transfer (coming from someone who's got super oily skin)

EDIT: It fades and feathers throughout the day. I'm still not used to the brush. It's very hard to control because it's not stiff enough and perhaps a bit too fine so I actually have trouble feeling it on my lid.

I've since started using Dollywink's liquid liner and it is a dream compared to this. True black in one application and with primer, it doesn't smudge/transfer and I can actually control the brush. Tossed up between Dollywink and K-palette 24hr Tattoo but according to reviews Dollywink was a truer black. Very happy with this eyeliner, give the Kanebo one a miss and try Dollywink out!

on 10/7/2011 1:48:00 AM

This is a great little liquid eyeliner for its price. The brush is very sharp and easy to use, giving perfect crisp lines. My only criticism is that the formula is very watery so it bleeds easily. This is particularly annoying trying to line the inside corner of my eyelids - the line just bleeds no matter how clean, powdered and dry my eyelid is. I don't have oily or wrinkly eyelids and it still manages to bleed into teeny weeny lines in my skin. Great for its price but I'd rather pay more for the Shiseido equivalent which has a perfect bleed-free formula.

on 10/6/2011 4:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Pros
Very easy to apply

Cons
Color payoff is meh : it's grayish, and to achieve black need multiple application
Hard to remove, even with eye makeup remover, leaves your eyelid grayish stain after long wear

Recommended for newcomers to brush type eyeliners.

on 8/15/2011 12:35:00 AM

Having bought this after reading multiple rave reviews, this is definitely one of the easiest liquid liners I have ever used, as well as one of the most portable. I don't have the steadiest of hands, and this little pen allows for super easy application...I don't get crazy wiggly lines anymore, and thin lines are now a breeze! Ultra slimline and lightweight, it's easy to pop into even the tiniest of clutches for touch-ups.

Which brings me to its much lauded staying strength. While it is pretty easy to remove - soaking a Q-tip with an oil-based remover does the trick with no stains - it just isn't as smudge-proof as Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner. Perhaps my eyelids are just oilier than the average person's, but a faint smudge on my upper lid is visible after a short period of wear. Then again, it is heaps easier to remove than BB's gel eyeliner and it DOES last a lot longer on me than the average liner, so I deal with it by carrying around a Q-tip for touch-ups.

Price-wise, it is very affordable and widely available in Asian drugstores. Definitely a repurchase item!

on 7/28/2011 3:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've tried both BK (black) and BK-1 (blackest black). This is the BEST liquid eyeliner I've used, since I started lining my eyes back in 2004. I've tried liquid eyeliners from Chanel, Dior, Maybelline, L'Oréal, Marjolica... There never was one that has a tip that stays fine after 1month of use and can provide the right amount of liquid. The click-pen type eyeliners from Chanel and Dior--both of which I've used constantly for about 2 years--typically pump out too much liquid... so much so that often, when I remove the liner at the end of the day, the liner comes our as 'small chunks' on the cotton pads! Marjolica was too light and transparent. L'Oréal felt liner was a failer.

I first tried Kate's super sharp in BK. This was good but I always felt the colour was too light and sometimes can oxidize and turn greenish at the end of the day. Then I realized one day super sharp actually comes in BK-1 which is blackest black. This is SUPER!

1) The colour intensity is just nice.
2) The tip stays sharp throughout the entire life of the liner. I change every 3-4months for hygiene purposes and because I use it almost everyday.
3) The liner stays on my lids the entire day. No smudges!
4) BK-1 liners come with tiny balls in the pen itself so you can 'shake' the ink. The liner never dispenses too much ink, meaning, you can never get that 'clumpy' liquid eyeliner effect which is plain over-the-board.
5) The price is unbelievable for such a good-quality liner. I always have at least 1-2 extra liners sitting in my makeup pouch, in case I run out and don't have time to go get it.

I think I'm currently using my 12th super sharp liner! It's a must stock-up item as it constantly runs out in stores!

on 7/19/2011 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Color: Blackest black, opaque in one swipe. Dries semimatte but not glossy either.

Longevity: Lasts all day long over UDPP, TFSI, etc. or even just a layer of BB long wear cream shadow, MAC paint, or other longwearing cream shadow. No flaking, no smudging, but does not require a cleansing oil to remove. I live in Seattle and am in the rain all the time, this never leaves black trails running down my face! This 0.6mL pen has lasted me more than 5 months of regular (not daily, but several times a week) use.

Packaging: Simple black plastic pen format, nothing fancy, but sturdy and gets the job done. The pen is equipped with a fine brush tip that is neither too rigid nor too flexible, just the right amount of give to it. I can make a thick or thin line by varying the pressure and the brush never gets snagged or tugs at my lids, and it is thin enough to let me color in the spaces between my lashes and get every last bit of my lashline, even the corners. This is also awesome for making winged cat-eye flicks at the outer corners, or drawing whisper-thin lines to accentuate/tightline on the bottom lashline. Fabulous.

Availability: Alas, this little gem is ridiculously hard to find outside of Japan/Asia. I ordered mine on eBay for ~$13 or 14 but it's well worth the cost for such a great liner! Also available from adambeauty, ichibankao, mihokoshop etc. but I find that eBay offered the best deal. YMMV.

Bottom line: great, longwearing, easy to use liner...if I were condemned to using only one liner for the rest of my life, I'd probably pick this!

on 6/4/2011 6:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Got this a year ago during my trip to Hong Kong and I'm so glad I did! My last eyeliner pen wass from MAC and I had some difficulty lining my eyes. Could never get a nice smooth straight line.When I used my KATE eyeliner, it made it so easy to line my eyes! I love it!The tip is the perfect size and the color is buildable which I don't mind. I bought mine for $8 which I think is a steal! But like what the others reviewers wrote is that it does leave a stain on your eyes after you remove it but it doesn't last long so I don't mind. I would definitely repurchase again and again!

on 5/18/2011 9:40:00 AM

Maybe I got a defective product... There are so many rave reviews about this but it just doesn't work for me. The color will somehow bleed into the tiny grooves of the skin. Also, while this dries very quickly and is therefore almost smudge proof, it's almost impossible to wash off! I tried my oil cleanser 3 times plus my eye makeup remover, but it doesn't come off completely. There's still a light greenish tint on my skin. I will stick to my MAC PowerPoint pencil.

on 4/26/2011 4:08:00 PM

I love this eyeliner for its -

1)thin line. I don't wear a full makeup, just foundation, eye brow, eyeliner. So the thin and neat lines are enough for me.

2) low price. not really cheap, but worthy. Paid $12+ shipping on eBay. I will definitely stock it up when I am back to HK.

3) long lasting but easy to remove. funny contradiction, but it can be easily washed off with warm water.

on 4/6/2011 10:31:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My first liquid liner, I find this not pigmented enough. And sometimes, it gets "stained" on my eyelids like how it would if you point it on the same spot on a white piece of fabric and watch the threads soak up the ink, spreading in an almost "chromatography" manner. Instead of using short strokes to draw lines, I usually just dot in between my lashes and the effect turns out great too. I am eyeing the gel liner next, hopefully it's as good as what I've read so far. :)

Top Rated Kanebo Products