July 30, 2014 | 1087 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - MAC - Brush Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 7:32:00 PM More reviews by Aimeerose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this brush cleanser it's great for spot cleaning. I tend to use it every other day to spot clean and deep clean every two weeks. My brushes remain soft after they dry. What I don't like about this is the packaging. I wasted a lot of product at first but then I was about to find a spray nozzle that for perfectly. Also, it's kind of pricey, you waste a lot of product for $15 a bottle. I remember the SA telling me that it will last a long time. I highly doubt that and I don't even have a lot of brushes. I could imagine a professional MUA going thru a bottle in less than a month easily. Unsure if I'll repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This brush cleanser is NOT so great. Let me try to explain why.

When selecting a cleansing product it's always helpful to look at the formula. This is a very basic foaming cleanser with additional antibacterial properties provided by Alcohol and Triclosan. Alcohol would be even more effective in higher concentrations and maybe in a spray bottle that you can use to disinfect your brushes once in a while. Alcohol is one of those ingredients you should try not to touch. If your skin is sensitive, you have probably already realized that. Triclosan on the other hand, is a common active ingredient in antibacterial dish soap and body wash products. You don't have to spend this much to get an antibacterial cleanser with an effective amount of triclosan.

Despite having been thoughtfully put together, I would not recommend this product. If you want to be well equipped I suggest getting a spray bottle filled with highly concentrated alcohol for quick sterilizing, an antibacterial dishwashing liquid to disinfect and remove most of the gunk, and some basic conditioner to finish up, especially if you are cleaning a natural hair brush. I know that most people love the idea of being able to sterilize all they can, but if you don't work on multiple faces, frequent washes with a gentle shampoo are more than enough, and in the long run will be less drying for the brush.

Now If you want to do add the cherry to the pie, you can go ahead and purchase a waterproof makeup removing lotion from the drugstore, like the Neutrogena Eye Makeup Remover Lotion. Massaging a small amount on the bristles before you start is enough to remove even the toughest waterproof makeup. It rinses easily and there will be no kitchen olive oil mess this time.))

I see some people are using this for spot cleaning. The foaming cleansing agents here need to be rinsed or they will stay on the brush. For quick spot cleaning, you'd be better off using your favorite duo-phase eye makeup. It will clean even better and will not leave harmful ingredients on the brush.

Bottom line, just pass on this and go for antibacterial dish soap, pure alcohol, and eye makeup remover. It breaks up the brush cleansing process in several steps which become conveniently optional. Plus, you can easily and effectively remove waterproof makeup. Don't forget to condition your brushes. That's also important.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 10:23:00 AM More reviews by 21bedofroses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Does a great job, love the simple & practical packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 10:29:00 PM More reviews by peacefulheart

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using this back around 2006, it was about $9. Now, it is $15. That said, it is truly the best product of its kind. And if you do not want to have to spend lots of $ on makeup brushes or replacing them in a shorter amount of time-this is a product worth the extra $$. Just like their lip liners. This is a superior product. I just wish the price had not changed so much since I last used it. I had a Macy's gift card so I used it for this, because it has been several years since I was able to get it. Trust me, this is an excellent makeup brush cleanser. The BEST.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2013 9:26:00 AM More reviews by DesertRabbit

When I read the instruction, it saids need to rinse the brush after use. But the MUA told me it's fine as a spot cleanser, no need to rinse. And the reviews here also said the same. So I give it a try with no water. And the result is GREAT! Quick, clean, no heavy scent, hygienic. COOL! Maybe I will pour it into spray bottle later, more easily to use and less dosage! ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 7:01:00 PM More reviews by gazelma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best brush cleaner ever. Spot cleaner, anyway. It makes my brushes nice and new and it doesn't smell terrible also. When you compare it to drug store brands or ELF they just don't compare.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by pineapple808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

So I finally picked this up for the first time about 2 weeks ago.... Now that I have it, I'm wondering why the heck I didn't get it any sooner. It's something that I now can't be without. As someone who owns a lot of makeup brushes, that time to wash them is a big pain in the Jou know what. So I bought this for spot cleaning. I don't have to wash them as often as I used to. I never really had a problem with the packaging at first until I started reading other reviews about how much product gets wasted so I think I will buy myself a little spray bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by NS10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just recently bought MAC's Brush Cleanser and it works really well for spot cleaning, you can instantly tell when the brushes are clean. However I decided to deep clean my brushes with this today and I wasn't so wowed by the outcome as it was impossible to tell if they were clean plus the packaging was wasting product all over the place. Overall, I do like this item for spot cleaning but not so sure about a deep clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Teopadure

My first brush cleanser and it's amazing !

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by sinthuja19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this to spot clean my brushes. I pour some onto a towel and swirl my dirty brushes and it cleans it very nicely. It also dries pretty quickly too. MAC can work on its packaging for this and I hope in the future they will make it packaged with a spray pump. I would definitely recommend this product if your looking for something to spot clean your dirty brushes on the go.