August 30, 2014 | 1664 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by ryanhill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Horrible poison acrid smelly strong harsh stuff. I love clinique and this stuff does not belong under a product line like Clinique. It overpowers the room and all I want to do is escape if I am anywhere near it. I dont know the ntes but I smell a strong spoiled citrus going on. YUCK

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

When I was 19, I became a Clinique fanatic. I delved into their skincare diligently. I even allowed an SA to give me a makeover one evening before a date with my future husband one summer evening. (Oh the horrors of that make-up job she did-I still remember wanting to scrub it off!) I sprayed myself with Aromatics Elixir that night and went off to meet my guy. I remember not particularly enjoying this perfume and I am a hard-core patchouli fan from back-in-the-day. I never wore it again. It was an unpleasant aroma to me.
Fast forward to today. After receiving another sample, I happily put this on, thinking I might recapture a time, a moment, a memory. How wrong of me to think so. This formulation is so weak, so linear on me that I keep wondering where has the glory gone? Certainly there must be something in this perfume that would stick to my chemistry to give me something to extoll its virtues? After all, so many love this. After numerous attempts, nothing has changed. Dirty patchouli, stale perfume odor and gone in an hour (thankfully). It does remind me of one other scent-dirty laundry.
This Elixir doesn't cure my ills. It brings them on. It didn't work back then and it still doesn't now.
Top Notes: Aldehydes, Coriander, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Lemon Verbena, Bergamot, Brazilian Rosewood, Geranium.
Middle Notes: Carnation, Tuberose, Orange Blossom, Orris Root, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Rose.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Patchouli, Musk, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Incense.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by sillage

You either love Aromatics Elixir or you hate it -- this is an extremely polarizing fragrance. It has been my personal friend for the 40+ years it has been in production, and I've appreciated it more and more as the years have gone by.

Clinique.com says about Aromatics Elixir, "Intriguing non-conformist fragrance performs the role of perfume, but goes far beyond. Touches the senses and spirit in subtle, pleasing ways. With notes of rose, jasmine, ylang ylang and vetiver. For the individualist in every woman."

To me, there is absolutely no other fragrance that smells like Aromatics Elixir -- it stands alone.

Here are its notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Verbena, Geranium, Chamomile, Coriander, Clary sage, Rosewood
Heart Notes: Orris root, Jasmine, Carnation, Orange blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes: Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Frankincense

I am now wearing Aromatics Elixir, just a small amount on my hand, and as a stress reliever, it just works -- for me, anyway. As soon as I took my first whiff, there was an instant feeling of familiarity, comfort, and relief. My nerves said, "Ahhhhh". It's aromatherapy for me. I'm sure part of the reason is that it's been around since 1971, and that's how long I've known the scent -- hence the comfort factor

To me, the scent itself is a woodsy mossy vetiver, and it's like being in the woods -- I find it introspective, reflective, calming, grounding. I will always have this fragrance in my collection. I tend to turn to it when I'm feeling upset, insecure, anxious, or fearful. It has a cocooning, reassuring quality for me. It's like retreating into a warm comforting hiding place.

I have the body products -- body wash, cream in jar, pump lotion, solid -- and my favorite of these is the body cream in the jar, which is rounder & sweeter than the spray.

The weather has been non-stop rain and quite chilly, which is actually my kind of weather. I find Aromatics Elixir at its best in gloomy, cold weather. I wear it a lot in January.

However, it's not necessarily temperature or weather dependent. About 15 years ago, I smelled it on a lady in CVS pharmacy in completely the wrong weather for it (or so I always thought). It was on a hot sunny summer Saturday morning. The memory of her scent haunted me as I ran my other errands -- I craved it -- her Aromatics had smelled so much better than my own light cheerful sunshiney summer perfume (which I can't remember now -- something "yellow", on the order of BBW Forever Sunshine). I could hardly wait to get home to dig out my Aromatics & spray it on -- and as soon as I got home, I did just that!

I plan to take a shower later, using my Aromatics Elixir body wash -- then I'll watch an inspiring and strengthening DVD -- maybe "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" (the Swedish version, starring Noomi Rapace) or an old movie starring Bette Davis. I can see either of them wearing Aromatics Elixir. Matter of fact, I'm going to wear AE through the weekend and then again to work during the week -- just a small amount, for me. I'm gonna need it in my corner next week.

I just remembered something -- I had a male boss, many years ago, who once told me that this was the only one of my perfumes that made him go ... and then he wordlessly just twirled his index finger in the air, like a little tornado.

I was at Belk dept store today, and I saw a big display of Aromatics Elixir. It came out in 1971 -- 42 years ago. Bad fragrances can't last on the market for 42 years, can they? How many of today's popular fragrances will still be around in 42 years? Just a thought.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by cadej1998

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Growing up, I was always the kid who never fit in with the other kids that were outgoing and playful. I much preferred to sit in a dimly lit room and read or watch old black and white movies. As a teenager, I was about as awkward as they came. I could not escape school quick enough so I could rush home, pull my drapes shut, turn on my melancholic music and forget the day. Now, as an adult, I'm almost to the point of being a recluse, yet not. I live alone in my grandmother's house that was built in 1948, the drapes still hanging from 1970, the walls still paneled from 1976. The house is all but modern, and so completely me. It makes strange noises at night, and I like to believe there is a ghost watching over me. Saturday nights are my meditative nights...the nights I pull out all of my darkwave music from bands like The Mission, Marillion, Smiths, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Pixies, Cure, etc. I find myself best in this type of music, always have. In saying that, I find myself best in fragrances that give off a dark, melancholic, slightly depressing and sad vibe. Very rarely do I wear anything with sweetness, and when I do, it's only a few hours before they have to come off. Patchouli, oakmoss, civet, vetiver and other things you find in the forest of the headless horseman are my favorite notes I look for the most in perfumes.

This is where Aromatics Elixir comes in. There is no way this stuff could pass as mainstream if it were released today. Even in 1971, it stood alone. It pretends to be nothing, and is everything it is. Forget the stupid pink chypres of the late. I hate them all. Aromatics is about as gothic as they come. It carries the notes of a rose that is turning from blood red to decaying black, animalic notes of bitter jasmine and civet, then the dark green oakmoss and patchouli leaf. All this mixed together, it creates an aroma never forgotten. It's of its era. It is extremely '70's and also the '80's. You stood out then wearing it, and you most definitely stand out today. This is the one perfume I wear when I need the most confidence in a particularly bad scenario. It never fails to give me the power to pull through whatever needs pulling through.

We live in a time where many are afraid their fragrance will offend others, so anything with an ounce of staying power is shunned, and if anything at all is to be worn, it's all but noticeable. I have never and will never conform to that stupidity. I still wear any and everything in circa 1984 steel wall strength. I went to see Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac in concert back in May, and wore enough of this perfume to fill the room. My jacket will smell of it for the next 10 years, long after I'm gone, I'm sure.

In all retrospect, this is probably my true signature perfume. It's been with me through some awful times, and some ok times. No matter what, it has stood by me, never letting me down. When I need it to work it wickedness the most, it has been there, and will be there.

When I go, this is the smell I want to be remembered for. A classic, forever.

33 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by deuxbisous

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Someone sprayed this while I was testing make-up. I started sniffing the air, turned around and looked at the perfume bottles on display and followed my nose to the bottle of Aromatics Elixir (in the perfume spray, not the EDT). I bought the smallest bottle, and the first couple of times I wore it I sprayed it on a cotton pad first and then dabbed it lightly. I'm now up to one small squirt straight onto skin, and I think that's more than enough. Lasts all day, lingers on fabric. You've got to love patchouli to be into this - the proper earthy, dirt-y stuff, not the molecularly modified version that seems to be abundant nowadays. Absolutely addictive - love it!!!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2013 12:02:00 AM More reviews by cagrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a complex fragrance that can be very over powering and "old lady" smell. However I go easy with one spray against a layer of lavender oil and wow if it isn't a calming elixir, and on my skin pleasing to those around me. Love this fragrance almost as much as my favorite Prada..similar notes.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2013 7:32:00 AM More reviews by yc01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a very interesting fragrance. Men don't like it very much. This fragrance is not for other people but it's for you. It really has some aromatic, mind relaxing effects, esp. after taking a shower before go to bed; a real anti-stress therapy. Boosts some kind of self-confidence and well being feelings. It should be sprayed quite few otherwise it's quite heavy. Its patchouli ingredient is wonderful after a few hours.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/16/2013 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Belindaeckard

This reminds me of elderly ladies with purple hair. Extremely over-powering, and not feminine at all. Not for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by rasputin2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Interestingly, it's not an aromatic fragrance (mint, bay, rosemary, thyme, camphor, artemisia, etc.) at all. It is a Green/Indolic Floral/Leather. Pronounced "ether" note in the head. Smells exceptionally scrubbed and clean, even with a plastic-y note that reminds one of new new clothes, cellophane, etc. Its leather component strikes me as somewhat pleasantly old-fashioned, more like something from the 1960's... the bright floralcy has a carnation-spicy and indolic (read: slightly urinaceous) jasmin/honeysuckle hint. Some hint of sweet wood (rosewood?) in the base. Reminds me somewhat of Myrurgia MAJA perfume, or maybe MISS BALMAIN's lightweight daughter. EDP throws a very good sillage; tenacity is moderate: dispels itself a good bit after one hour. I will argue with anyone who says it's not a Leather-- the slightly-spicy cozy drydown smells like the inside of a new pair of cowboy boots. Has a nice 1970's vibe... like something Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith or Lauren Hutton would wear.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 12:51:00 AM More reviews by daisydallas

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I get stopped very often by people (especially by men) telling me that I smell GREAT ! :-)

That being said, I'm wondering if there is something like Aromatics Elixir that might be just a little bit "lighter" ?