Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

THE chypre of the century. Intellectual, timeless, earthy, clean yet dark. Hard to believe Clinique makes it, and sells it alongside the insipid Happys. Instantly recognizable, and I have instant respect for any woman who wears it.

I am so excited to report that I have found a way to enjoy Aromatics for myself! Historically, I've found the EDP and even the body products too overwhelming to my sinuses; in addition, my skin seemed to amp up the indolic jasmine component (not my favorite part of AE). I recently discovered that in Europe, this is sold as an eau de TOILETTE. And that EDT is available on eBay. And that EDT is luminous and sheer, delivering the signature AE otherworldly patchouli waft without the indoles. It comes in 1.5 ounce bottles and costs around $40. GET IT.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Absolutely beautiful! Can i just start by getting that out of the way? This is not one of those "prettied up" sugary florals. I seem to be a patchouli fiend & this has lots of patchouli! It's a real beauty. Head kicking sillage so easy on the spray. When i spritzed it on it made me think of walking in the back garden of a country manor, it has tons of trees growing out back with flowers & dirt & moss. I'm wrapped up in a comfy sweater on a chilly Autumn morning, i have sprayed this on....It's like a big comfy cloud of goodness. Love this!! I sat in the train with an old lady wearing this in summer & it's so beautiful I had to tell her how good she smelled. Really classy, great scent!

I wanted to add a stronger perfume to my fragrance wardrobe, and I thought I'd retest this. It was one of the first perfumes I ever tried. My mom has worn this for many years. It's not for me. I think if you're young and want a "loud" perfume,. something like Thierry Mugler's Alien is better.

A beautiful, unusual scent. Strangely enough reminds me of how expensive lipstick used to smell, times about 1,000. If you love chypres, you'll love this scent, but beware--a previous reviewer mentioned her dislike of Youth Dew (sold, of course, by Clinique's owner, Estee Lauder), and if you don't like that type of scent, you should probably avoid this. Very herbal but also with strong floral notes--NOT sweet, very dark and velvety--and TONS of sillage. If scents were drinks, this one would be espresso--strong, bitter, and addictive, if it's to your taste, and best enjoyed in very small quantities (n.b., it doesn't smell like coffee). If you are a habitual oversprayer, limit yourself to about half a pump from your bottle--this is a tank of a perfume, and you'll give yourself an asthma attack and everyone around you a headache if you spray as you would another scent. As intriguing as a niche perfume, but (unlike most niche fragrances) the pricing is really reasonable, and given the power of this scent, the small bottle will last you for years.

Absolutely vile! Always thought youth dew by Estée Lauder was the worst I had ever smelled but this one beat it. My partner described it as walking into a shop in Glastonbury full of incense. To be honest I think incense comes above this wretched, disgusting, intoxicating stink!

Aromatics Elixir is not for you if you prefer a sweet or "fresh" scent. While it can be applied lightly, it is not something that strikes you as "light." This is a very complex, dry herbal scent, and it is by no means soft or dreamy. In fact, it is rather cerebral. There are flowers. There is citrus. But the overall impression is a palette of deep, mossy green notes. Someone mentioned that this scent is "chilly." Yes, I can see that. It does well in winter. The dry down is woody. As deep and uncompromising as this is, I would not call it loud. Please do not decide after the first sniff. You must live in this a while. And go easy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Aromatics Elixir is a classic green chypre launched in the early 1970's. Unlike most fragrances, which are warm, Aromatics Elixir is quite chilly. It sort of gives me the feeling of walking through a pine forest on a cold autumn morning. I think it's the aldehydes, which lend the frosty veneer. Like all chypres, there is plenty of citrusy top notes and oakmoss in the base. I also get this wonderfully weird bannana peel note. A true original.

Horrible poison acrid smelly strong harsh stuff. I love clinique and this stuff does not belong under a product line like Clinique. It overpowers the room and all I want to do is escape if I am anywhere near it. I dont know the ntes but I smell a strong spoiled citrus going on. YUCK

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

When I was 19, I became a Clinique fanatic. I delved into their skincare diligently. I even allowed an SA to give me a makeover one evening before a date with my future husband one summer evening. (Oh the horrors of that make-up job she did-I still remember wanting to scrub it off!) I sprayed myself with Aromatics Elixir that night and went off to meet my guy. I remember not particularly enjoying this perfume and I am a hard-core patchouli fan from back-in-the-day. I never wore it again. It was an unpleasant aroma to me.
Fast forward to today. After receiving another sample, I happily put this on, thinking I might recapture a time, a moment, a memory. How wrong of me to think so. This formulation is so weak, so linear on me that I keep wondering where has the glory gone? Certainly there must be something in this perfume that would stick to my chemistry to give me something to extoll its virtues? After all, so many love this. After numerous attempts, nothing has changed. Dirty patchouli, stale perfume odor and gone in an hour (thankfully). It does remind me of one other scent-dirty laundry.
This Elixir doesn't cure my ills. It brings them on. It didn't work back then and it still doesn't now.
Top Notes: Aldehydes, Coriander, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Lemon Verbena, Bergamot, Brazilian Rosewood, Geranium.
Middle Notes: Carnation, Tuberose, Orange Blossom, Orris Root, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Rose.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Patchouli, Musk, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Incense.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

You either love Aromatics Elixir or you hate it -- this is an extremely polarizing fragrance. It has been my personal friend for the 40+ years it has been in production, and I've appreciated it more and more as the years have gone by.

Clinique.com says about Aromatics Elixir, "Intriguing non-conformist fragrance performs the role of perfume, but goes far beyond. Touches the senses and spirit in subtle, pleasing ways. With notes of rose, jasmine, ylang ylang and vetiver. For the individualist in every woman."

To me, there is absolutely no other fragrance that smells like Aromatics Elixir -- it stands alone.

Here are its notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Verbena, Geranium, Chamomile, Coriander, Clary sage, Rosewood
Heart Notes: Orris root, Jasmine, Carnation, Orange blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes: Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Frankincense

I am now wearing Aromatics Elixir, just a small amount on my hand, and as a stress reliever, it just works -- for me, anyway. As soon as I took my first whiff, there was an instant feeling of familiarity, comfort, and relief. My nerves said, "Ahhhhh". It's aromatherapy for me. I'm sure part of the reason is that it's been around since 1971, and that's how long I've been familiar with it.

To me, the scent itself is a woodsy mossy vetiver, and it's like being in the woods -- I find it introspective, reflective, calming, grounding. I will always have this fragrance in my collection. I tend to turn to it when I'm feeling upset, insecure, anxious, or fearful. It has a cocooning, reassuring quality for me. It's like retreating into a warm comforting hiding place.

I have the body products -- body wash, cream in jar, pump lotion, solid -- and my favorite of these is the body cream in the jar, which is rounder & sweeter than the spray.

The weather has been non-stop rain and quite chilly, which is actually my kind of weather. I find Aromatics Elixir at its best in gloomy, cold weather. I wear it a lot in January.

However, it's not necessarily temperature or weather dependent. About 15 years ago, I smelled it on a lady in CVS pharmacy in completely the wrong weather for it (or so I always thought). It was on a hot sunny summer Saturday morning. The memory of her scent haunted me as I ran my other errands -- I craved it -- her Aromatics had smelled so much better than my own light cheerful sunshiney summer perfume (which I can't remember now -- something "yellow", on the order of BBW Forever Sunshine). I could hardly wait to get home to dig out my Aromatics & spray it on -- and as soon as I got home, I did just that!

I plan to take a shower later, using my Aromatics Elixir body wash -- then I'll watch an inspiring and strengthening DVD -- maybe "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" (the Swedish version, starring Noomi Rapace) or an old movie starring Bette Davis. I can see either of them wearing Aromatics Elixir. Matter of fact, I'm going to wear AE through the weekend and then again to work during the week -- just a small amount, for me. I'm gonna need it in my corner next week.

I just remembered something -- I had a male boss, many years ago, who once told me that this was the only one of my perfumes that made him go ... and then he wordlessly just twirled his index finger in the air, like a little tornado.

I was at Belk dept store today, and I saw a big display of Aromatics Elixir. It came out in 1971 -- 42 years ago. Bad fragrances can't last on the market for 42 years, can they? How many of today's popular fragrances will still be around in 42 years? Just a thought.

Popular Fragrances