December 21, 2014 | 1787 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Sunless Tanning Creme - Deep Dark

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by DanseMacabre11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm pretty fair skinned with freckles, so, as you can imagine, tanning isn't something that comes easy to me. Trying to avoid the whole skin cancer route has lead me to sunless tanners.
Because I'm so pale, the first application looked slightly awkward on me. It wasn't necessarily orange, but almost yellowy brown? Not really dark, just odd. However, after another application which made me a little darker, I think I look like I just have a natural tan, which is wonderful.
Make sure to exfoliate your whole body before using. Rub in really well, and avoid excessive application to areas such as the knees and elbows. It does stain your hands easily, but if I wash my hands immediately after using the product I'm fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by Jenny1175

Great product for the money. Color came out very natural, deep tan, no streaking or orange. Smell was nice. And contrary to others experiences, mine lasted a week so far and no spotty fading whatsoever! Also Loreal sublime really dried out my skin and my skin still feels soft after using this one. Definately exfoliate before applying (as with all self tanners). Also the trick maybe that kept it to last and soft skin, after i applied and showered off, i applied moisturizing body lotion all over. (Only had to do this once though). This is definately my go-to self tanner now. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2012 2:34:00 AM More reviews by katiehunt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Awesome self tanner, probably the best I've ever used & its cheap. only down fall is its not available in Canada. =(

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by edendani17

I love this self tanner. I'm pretty pale, but this was the only one in the house, so I decided to try it. I loved it! I feel like if you apply it by itself, it may be a bit too dark, but then again that may just be because I'm so pale. If you pair it with a regular body lotion, it gives a great, even look and doesn't streak. It's a great product, one of the best out there!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by shwankie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am naturally very pale, but as a fitness instructor I really need a tan to show off my muscle tone. I don't tan in the sun (I burn), and I like to avoid tanning in general to minimize skin damage and aging. So, I've used a lot of self-tanners. This is by far the best value and easiest to use, and gave far and away the darkest color. Even with working out and frequent showers, it lasts about 5-6 days and gives an even, streak-free tan that is very natural. This is my new favorite tanner, and I even break my "no shopping at Wal-Mart" rule for it, as no place else around me carries it.

I know a lot of people use gloves, but I don't and have no problem with staining. My methods is lotion. Here's what I do: 1) dry brush before showering (if you haven't tried a dry brush, I highly recommend getting one just for general use), 2) shower, using a light body wash (nothing with lotions in it), 3) apply lotion to ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, fingernails and cuticles, toenails and toes, and any dry skin patches, and don't wash hands 4) apply this lotion liberally, rubbing in like a moisturizer, using a mirror to make sure you're not missing spots, 5) wash palms with a pre-wetted washcloth, 6) gently towel off feet, ankles, wrists, and hands. I get a perfect tan, including the backs of my hands and my feet, with no weird dark spots and no stained palms.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/18/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by letstrythiscolour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This self tanner seemed to work fantastic the first time, not to say it still isnt good but the best result by far was the first application. I only apply it before bed. Affordable-Bought a package of 3 for $19.99+tax, Amazon.com/ca because its not available in Canada.
Colour pay off is nice, its not orange at all, It does tend to rub off not so much on my clothes but it disappears almost around my stomach area for some reason, maybe its because I sleep on my stomach.
It doesnt stink as bad as most tanners do. It drys quickly, its like applying moisturizer doesnt feel like you are wearing a self tanner.
OVERALL NOT TOO BAD, its a good price and its easy to use..if it was available all the time i would probably buy it more often.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2012 11:39:00 PM More reviews by IUPgrad2010

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am a NC37-42 (winter-late summer) but I use this for a little extra color and glow. I absolutely love it, I'd recommend it to anyone of any color. I don't like sun tanning and this is most natural looking (without the funky tan lines lol) but color definitely takes less than The said 2-3 hours to develop. My only fault with it is it doesn't seem to last long with showers, I have to do it every two days. So i bought the spray version because it's supposed to last 7 days.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2012 12:42:00 PM More reviews by peacewillow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First of all I am extremely white. I burn and go right back to white. Therefore I have been using self tanners for a very long time. Living in Chicago I only really had to tan in the summer so the price didn't kill me. Now that I moved to Arizona I really had to figure out a new plan for tanning. My go to self tanner was the Clarins Gelee express gel. At $35 and only four oz I needed another option. Thanks to the review here I went to walmart and got a tube of this. All I can say it thank God I found this. A. Its cheep $6 and 6 oz! B. I think it works better then the Clarins. It dries really fast and doesn't leave a smell. The Clarins gel is sticky for a long time and for some reason makes me really hot. This didn't do that at all. C. The color is great. I will probably do it again today to get a little darker but it really seems to be a great color without ruining my day or night.
How I tan 1) lotion my feet with extra on my toes and bones. 2) tight latex gloves 3) start with the calf and then thigh then just blend over feet and knees with the extra. then to tummy back butt. chest. I do the face and then arms. Arms are last. When done with everything take gloves off put a tinny bit of tanner on my fingers and get tops of hands. Curl your fingers so you get in the little creases and make sure when your hand is done take your fingers and laces them together so you hit the webbing in your fingers. Wet a towel and wipe off the tanner from the bottoms of fingers. Last and very important take a dry towel and rub your wrists, sides of hands, bones on feet and toes, elbows, and maybe knees if they tend to get darker. Put loose fitting close on and chill for a half hour or go to bed. Also make sure when you apply go in circles when rubbing it in. Perfect This is now my HG tanner! Thanks makeupalley.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by 604nailpro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVE this! Its super dark after just one application. That being said, MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES!!! I use regular hospital rubber gloves. This stuff stains your palms like crazy. In the rare event that you do get it on your palms on on the underside of your feet(it looks insanely dark and weird), use a pumice stone to gently rub it away. To tan your hands, apply to your entire body and face with gloves then remove gloves and whatever is left on the gloves, lihtly rub on the top of your hands, avoiding the webbed part between fingers. Ive tried exoliating in the shower before applicating and Ive tried putting it on without exfoliating and I can't see a difference. It does dry out your skin after a few days so make sure youre applying a moisturizer head to toe. I apply Banana Boat twice a week after the shower. I wait an hour before getting into bed but be warned, it will rub off on sheets so stick to dark ones. I use this on my FACE as well and have not broke out or had any issues. I actually apply it to my face every morning before my makeup becuase my face doesnt like to absorbe anything. For 3 years I used Jergens gradual toner in Medium-Dark but it doesnt really make a difference in color I find...other than minimizing the 'ghost' look. Banana Boat makes you look like you've been sitting in the sun and the tan is VERY noticable. The tanner scent is still present but its less noticable that jergens.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2012 12:20:00 PM More reviews by SavDurrence

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is probably the best drugstore self tanner there is because it will make you look shades darker after only one application and I have never had a problem with streaking or anything. The only bad thing is if you use it more than two nights in a row you will start too look a little orange. And also when it starts to fade it will not fade of your body evenly, so you should exfoliate.