October 23, 2014 | 1964 users online

Highlighters - BeneFit Cosmetics - High Brow

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 12:35:00 PM More reviews by avuwo

I use this as a highlighter and eyeliner to brighten my eyes. It has turned into a beauty staple in my everyday routine. It's super blendable and gives off a really nice colour. The only downside is that it's a little expensive for what it is.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by xoxobellamarie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely wonderful! A multi-tasker_ I like to contour my face so I use this as my highlighter also. Gives a really pretty glow!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a neat little product if you're a makeup junkie like me. I always just used my regular powder shadows as brow bone highlighters, but this seemed like a very cool concept to me.

High Brow is described as a linen-pink shade, which I think fits the bill quite perfectly. It's 100% matte and has a very creamy texture. You have to be careful when applying this because it seems to go on heavily, which can result in it being hard to blend out and looking like you have white lines under your brows.

When applied properly (mastering the technique is key), this is quite nifty. It instantly makes your brows look lifted, and makes your eyes appear more bright and awake. This is also nice for highlighting your inner corners. I imagine it may work as an under eye brightener for very fair-skinned women as well. Also, this is great for using in between waxes to mimic the look of freshly waxed brows.

I'm not absolutely head-over-heels in love with this product (it's not something that I rave about to whoever will listen), but it's definitely a nifty little product that I'd suggest if you're looking for something new to add to your collection.

BTW- I have very yellow undertones. It looks all right on me, but sort of clashes. I wish Benefit would make a pale yellow version of this for us warm complected girls.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've had this for a few months now. I still don't know quite how I feel about it. I don't like obvious sparkly brow highlight so this is nice in that way. But I feel like it requires a lot of blending, which seems to defeat the purpose of a quick-use stick. Also, I'm NW10 & IDK how ppl darker than me wear this without it being super obvious. I feels like it stands out quite a bit on *me*. I like this enough to keep it (& I purge often) but it doesn't thrill me

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2012 11:23:00 PM More reviews by lizzea

Pretty nice and I feel it does what it says - brightens up the eye area under the brow leaving it 'high' looking and brighter. It does these things and quite smoothly and nicely. Not an absolute prerequisite for your collection though as you can achieve the same effect with the a highlight shadow of your choice, depending on your skin tone. I think this is pretty good in so far as it can apply to different skin tones but it is a bit shimmery for my liking. I like it, but wouldn't repurchase as I can just use a eyeshadow and get the same effect, but for less money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2012 4:51:00 PM More reviews by kandrews580

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

WONDERFUL! There is not substitute! (...wait, that's Porche) This is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 3:04:00 PM More reviews by spissy

It has a great matte finish and gives the eyes a lift. I prefer this as a browhighlighter compared to a shimmery one. Just think the effect is much better. Will definitely buy again when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2011 9:34:00 AM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i'm suprised i havent reviewed this before now, as i've had it quite a while!
my skin: around NC15, maybe a tad lighter, with a neutral undertone. slightly sensitive, acne-prone, and has some surface reddness. some freckles/sun spots i've been lightening with HQ, and some pigmented and indented acne scarring.
my hope for this: a natural looking highlighter with a dewy but NOT sprakly finish.
i got this in a swap, but i know thats its quite expensive, so i gave it a 4 out of 5.
ideally i'd like a more warm-toned highlighter, as this is quite pink, but for now i havent found anything i like better, so this will do. it blends quite well and despite the pinkness does look natural. best part is that even its not sparkly at ALL! yay! not really so dewy either though. it blends very well, but is better over top of liquid or creme foundations than over powder ones. in my hunt for the perfect highlighter i'll look for a powder version instead, as i tend to use MMU more than liquid foundation. untill i find what i'm looking for through swaps, i'll continue to use this, and i rated it as a re0buy b/c even though its not perfect for me, i still like it and think others woudl love it if they prefer a slightly pink cast to their highlighters. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

* Update June 4th 2012: Just confirming that yes, this product disagrees with my skin. my skin has been almost entirely void of flaking and dryness and I decided to try this out today. Went on mostly smooth but when I took my makeup off the area where the product stayed all day was in fact ashy and dried out. And a bit uncomfortable.

* Update May 14, 2012:While I really love the look of this highlighting pen and that it's fairly easy to use, it just doesn't seem to be agreeing with my skin. I assume the jojoba oil is the culprit, as it is often problematic for me. I've been having dry skin issues along my brow bone for a long time now, before using this, but it had been clearing up. Whenever I wear makeup and use this, it starts showing up again. I just applied some makeup after removing the day's mascara (with water only) and omitted this pencil - while some existing tiny flakes are present still on my one eye, they did not worsen, my primer went on just fine, my makeup doesn't look dry... It's a shame! I've brought my rating down a 4 and would not repurchase

What it Claims:
"A brow lifting and enhancing pencil that instantly adds a lifted look to the entire eye area. It's never been easier to raise a brow or two! The soft, matte linen-pink pencil looks beautiful on all skin tones."

Claims: True or False?
1) Instantly adds a lifted look to the eye: True
2) Soft, matte finish: True
3) Works on all skin tones: Undetermined.

Packaging:
This is a large jumbo pencil product, which requires sharpening. The pencil comes in a small cardboard box with a small instructional pamphlet thing. The pencil is shorter than the vertical length of my hand. Not much else about the packaging other than a standard cap seen on other types of eyeliner or brow pencils.

Formula:
I have uploaded swatches of this pencil, both on my hand and on my eye area, posted above! I'm not 100% in love with the consistency, but I really like the results I get. The first issue is that it can be hard to blend properly, even if using just a small amount. I definitely find that it's similar in blending to a kohl eyeliner. In order to achieve smooth results, the skin needs to be completely void of irritation and/or dryness. Only a small amount is needed, so if too much is used it can easily look really caked on. If skin is dry or too much is applied I found that patting and blending the area with a wet (water) finger helps it look much nicer for the whole day. I'm also not yet certain if this is leaving me prone to small whiteheads where the product touches my skin outside of the eye area (with more use I don't think it was). Otherwise, I love the way this looks. I have been used to just using a normal shimmery eyeshadow or pearlized product, but while those add obvious light to the area, this actually BRIGHTENS my eyes. It's subtle as well, which makes it nice for makeup-light days. The highlighter has no shimmer that I can pick up on, which is different than any other highlighter I've seen marketed. I like that there's no shimmer, as I feel it looks more natural, and does offer a better highlighted look compared to just applying a matte or shimmery shadow. And if you want extra shimmer, you can pat a bit of shimmery shadow over top and it will adhere well. The shade is a light pink, more on the cool side. Since I am fair skinned, I am able to pull this off, but I have warmer skin as well, so I feel like I and others would benefit from a warmer toned alternative, perhaps a salmony pink which does tend to work better for a larger number of skin tones.

Wear:
This product always wore well on me, never faded or smudged. Once it's blended it seems to just stay put.

Bang for your Buck:
This 2.85gram or 0.10oz highlighting pencil cost me about $26.00CAD at regular price. I definitely feel that this is expensive, especially considering the fact that one must sharpen this pencil, which means a few shavings each time it is sharpened can eventually lead up to a decent amount of product wasted. One could always remove the highlighter from the wood chippings and preserve in a jar. Using for probably a week now, on the brow bone and inner and outer corners of my eyes, it almost looks unused. So while it's not the most economical packaging, I do think that one pencil could last quite a long.

Final Thoughts:
This is the best highlighter I've ever used, but at the same time it doesn't work for my skin. If it were free of jojoba oil I assume it would work wonders, as it blends really nicely on my arm where my skin doesn't react much at all to ingredients the way my face does. If you do not have any issues with the ingredient and would like to give it a shot I do still recommend it, but it's just not for me.
* Overall Rating: 4/5
* Price: 3/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by katemechin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great brightener, love it!