November 26, 2014 | 1616 users online

Lip Treatments - C.O. Bigelow - Rose Salve

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Andisophiaquinn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Got this at Bath & Body Works for five bucks, and when I asked the gal at the store if she used it, she said yeah and it's amazing. She told me people come in there and buy like 5 or 10 pans of it at a time. I had some extra cash, so I decided to try it. I have very dry skin on my cheeks, and it said you can use it on skin, so I rubbed it in to my skin and dabbed the top layer of extra off with a kleenex before I went to bed, and the next morning...my skin wasn't flakey and dry like it always is. I also use it on my cuticles and nail beds, lips, and cracked heels on my feet. Works for EVERYTHING. And it smells like roses :) My dad used it once, and tried to steal it from me so he could use it at work. He's a firefighter and they get really dry hands in the winter while on calls, so he got his own tube to take to work.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 3:10:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Lip treatment junkie here... I recently "discovered" C.O. Bigelow's lip products (I get mine at Bath & Body Works) and have been enjoying testing out some of their more popular items. Just did a 3-4 week test run of their Rose Salve & thinks it's time that I reviewed.

I thought I'd start off my review by discussing the packaging of this product. C.O. Bigelow is the oldest apothecary/pharmacy in the US, founded in 1838 (thanks, Wikipedia!). They incorporate old-world charm into many of their products/packaging & C.O. Bigelow's Rose Salve is a prime example of this. It comes in a comparatively large (2 inches across & a little more than 3/4 inches deep) tin. Easy to open & close but a bit bulky especially if you plan to keep your lip treatment in your pocket. Very cute though and works well for me as I leave this product at home, on my vanity.

The salve itself is basically your traditional looking, solid type of ointment or salve. It's pinkish-rose and as per the packaging, it does contain .9% Rose Extract. On me, it does turn my lips a slight, pinkish color but I swatched it onto a piece of white paper and the color is nearly undetectable so may be it's my imagination! It has a distinctive smell which I assume is from the Rose Extract but the smell is in no way overwhelming. The smell is stronger in the tin than it is on your lips, right under your nose. I don't love or hate the smell but I could see it being an issue for some as it's an "older", flowery scent. Product applies like Vaseline, and is similar in consistency and finish but I think it's less dense and less sticky than Vaseline is. I also find that it does more for my lips than plain, old Vaseline. Seems to accomplish "something" as opposed to just sitting on my lips.

All in all, C.O. Bigelow's Rose Salve is a very nice lip treatment. It does good job of protecting my lips and keeping them moist. It is a tad greasy but that can be helpful, especially during drier, colder months of the year. I could see this type of product, especially in a metal tin like this, becoming a melted, greasy mess in warmer months, but I can't say for sure as my "test run" occurred during Winter. I would recommend it to those that enjoy similar types of lip treatments (on the greasy side, in a tin, etc.). I probably will not repurchase but only because I have fallen in love w/ another C.O. Bigelow product (Lemon Lip Cream) and would prefer to make that my one & only lip treatment.

Pros: protects lips, floral scent, cute packaging, emollient, affordable
Cons: size of tin & floral scent may be a deal-killer for some, harder to find product-may have to resort to buying online

rated 2 of 5 on 1/22/2014 1:18:00 AM More reviews by JennaLia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Does nothing special for me. Lasts maybe an hour. Have seen no improvement on my skin and I feel as if it makes it drier.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by Colour4me

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Cannot live without this product. I travel for a living and am faced with daily climate changes which can take a toll on my skin, lips, nails, hair, etc. I apply this to my lips at night and wake up with well-conditioned, healthy-looking lips. My lipstick even glides on beautifully during application. Wish that more retailers would carry it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by DebL66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overpriced scented Vaseline.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by awkkimmivy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this one before I tried Smith's rosebud. I loved this very much, and since Smith's has a cult following it, I wanted to see what the hype was about (and I was excited because I didn't know how it could get better than this) and many people prefer Smith's to this one. I prefer this one by far. -I like how it smells less like old lady (to be honest I like that but my boyfriend does not) and more sweet and feminine. -I like the moisurization of this better than Smith's, especially when I pile it on at night. I did the same with smiths and it wasn't as good. -the staying power is much better with this. so, If you're confused on whether to get this, or Smith's, I think this is the way to go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have a lovely memory of giving my mom some Rose Salve for her chapped lips before she died. She loved it so much she had the tin by her bed and each night before she went to sleep she would put some on.

It's not often you get to give something to someone you love that makes them happy and makes their lives better every day. Rose Salve is a treasure.

21 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2013 12:59:00 AM More reviews by supnikkki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is amazing. It smells so wonderful and works just as it promises. I'm not huge on the Vaseline in it though seeing as I'm not a fan of petroleum derivatives. With the tin itself, I always struggle with opening it. I've learned to keep the lip pulled up midway (so the lid isn't entirely pushed down) so I have an easier time opening it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2013 10:47:00 PM More reviews by Vivichuu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I was skeptical about buying this from Bath and Body Works while I was browsing there with my little sister. However, she kept insisting that rose salve was something that would help my extremely chapped lips (especially after I went to college), and bought one herself for me to try a bit of. My lips and the skin around it are a lot better than before now (not completely up to normal due to the severity of their condition previously, these things take time and I haven't had rose salve for very long), so I went back to the store and picked one up myself. On top of that, the slight fragrance is not too overwhelming but sweet enough for you to notice when you apply it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 6:26:00 PM More reviews by staci13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't think I could ever be without this product! Anytime my lips feel chapped and flaky, I can just smother this on and my lips are instantly enveloped in this moisturizing goodness. I have also used it for cuticles, and it works well in that way too. The price is great, because this tin will last quite awhile. I'm not such a fan of the packaging, but I always try to keep a mini bottle of hand santizer along with this in my purse so I remember to use the hand sanitizer first and then the the rose salve. It's not perfect, but that's how I make it work.