NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.6

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

I'm a red lipstick addict! I've a drawer practically filled to the brim with every shade/style out there. But this one is my ABSOLUTE favorite. The color is stunning, there's really no comparison. The texture-while a bit dry-is the perfect matte. It stays on FOREVER, doesn't bleed, and is easy to apply. If I had to criticize this product at all, it would be, of course, for the price…yikes…and the pencil itself. I really wish it were easier to sharpen. I have a very high end sharpener from Aveda which normally works wonders on my other pencil products…but this Nars pencil is extremely hard to sharpen without it breaking. I've tried putting it in the fridge, I've tried keeping it warm and soft, but nothing seems to work. I've read other reviews that have recommended purchasing the Nars special sharpener…but I really would hate to buy a sharpener JUST for this when I already have one that works on every other pencil product I have. That being said, I would buy this product again. It's worth it to me. I love the compliments I get with this lippy, and highly recommend it to any lovely, lipstick wearing lady/gent out there.

on 11/5/2014 1:13:00 PM

The shade Dragon Girl wasn't exactly what I expected. It looks more like cool pink on my lips, especially when I haven't layered it. It's still pretty and I'm using it. I love the soft consistency and I would pick that anytime over a glossy finish. It was surprising how thin layer it creates, so making your lips look defined is easy. I wish there were more lipsticks like this. It's necessary to get a big sharpener for this pencil.

on 9/24/2014 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this shade so much that I used up my Sephora gift card to get it. There was no way I could stand to pay $34 plus tax for a pencil, but I had to have it. To me it looks like an antique light red with undertones of blue roses. I am in love with it, but on me it is not going on at all creamy and rich looking and glowing, as all the pictures on a web search show it. I was afraid of this when I saw it only came in matte, but there's nothing else like it. After trying it on my hand I went to three stores, and I walked around every display of every single brand from high to low end, trying shades on my hand to find a dupe that was not matte because I have never done well with matte pencils. I did get three other more glossy lipsticks in the blue red range, but they are not the same. So, I found I can put Lancome juicy tubes clear lip gloss on top to add some glow and dimension. It works equally well to put this on top of a similar shade in a creamy formula. It doesn't seem to work just by itself. It is too dry and almost minimizes my lips. The colour is thrilling yet the matte formula is annoying and not pigmented enough. Anyway, highest marks for colour, but I have to lower the rating because I will have to sharpen it and waste some, plus the matte finish is the only way we can get this colour and that is so unfair. I don't foresee buying it again, as this surely will last a long time. I will have fun experimenting with different ways to apply it to maximize its beauty.

on 9/7/2014 10:29:00 PM

I've been trying to get out of my comfort zone of pinky nude shades (faves include: Revlon balm stain in honey, Illamasqua's Climax and Guerlain's Gemma.) After a disappointing experience with MAC's Russian Red, I steered clear of reds. Until I saw Dragon Girl. I was torn between this or Cruella. Not gonna lie, bought it partly because it reminds me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo lol. It's described as a "siren red." With my NC30 skin and black hair, it adds instant glam to my face without much effort. I was complimented by several people when I wore this today and it prompted me to write this review! I have dry lips with Blistex lip medex being my saving grace. First I apply one layer of Dragon Girl on my lips (it's seriously pigmented!), then use a lip brush to apply a bit of Blistex to the center of my lips and finally use a bit of Nars radiant creamy concealer with a brush to clean up the edges. I don't use a lip liner, the matte formulation allows the colour to stay put. I had this on for almost 12 hours today and had two meals, drank plenty of water and did no touch-ups and the colour only faded a bit on the center of my bottom lip. I was pleasantly surprised by how non-drying it is, despite the matte formula. This is quickly becoming my HG red. My only gripe about this product is the price, it's currently $31 CAD for 0.086 oz and yes, product does get wasted because it requires sharpening. But I suppose it's better to pay for a product that gets lots of love than to have it abandoned in a makeup drawer...

on 7/3/2014 5:04:00 PM

I decided to splurge on this Nars Lip Pencil, after my close friend raved about it and I tried it in Sephora. Not gonna lie, I was also pretty enthralled by the fact that this is Taylor Swift's signature red lip. SO GLAD I WENT FOR IT. This is absolutely gorgeous. It goes on so smooth, the color is buildable, it has beautiful cool undertones that compliment my fair skin, and it doesn't dry out my lips. Also, this is the first lip product I've tried that doesn't leave little marks all over your cups when you're trying to drink!!! Especially if you blot once with a tissue!!!! It's definitely expensive, but it's a luxury product that gives you bang for your buck and everyone should have a stunning red lip in their arsenal.

on 7/1/2014 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

this is my perfect red!

on 4/4/2014 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This colour is a-ma-zing! I also think this 'pencil-idea' is very clever, because now you're able to work very precise. Still, I do think it is a bit drying, but that is sincerely the only minus point. For reference, I am a NC 25, darkbrown hair and green eyes!

on 3/20/2014 8:22:00 AM

Everytime I wear this I get several compliments with everyone always asking me what I've got on my lips! Extremely long wearing, it's rarely leaves a print on my wine glass, where my other friends are constantly topping their lipstick I never have to when I'm wearing this. Really recommend using Chapstick 15mins before applying dragon girl and using a lipliner for the precise application (I use MAC cherry). Hate thing I don't like is the pencil formula, however this will not stop me buying in the future

on 2/18/2014 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I was always afraid of red lipstick because I'm pretty pale, but this color is gorgeous! I've had a few other NARS lip pencils before and I love the texture and ease of application. This shade in particular is a bright, beautiful red that's fun but not too intimidating. It's super pigmented and lasts a long time without feathering. I don't find that this lip pencil clings to dry skin, either, which is definitely a plus. I like the fact that it's a pencil because it's easy to travel with and easier to apply precisely, but it is annoying that you have to sharpen it. It's a little expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion.

on 1/23/2014 3:52:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I really like this product, it's a lip pencil that I can rely on when applying in the morning to still have on during lunch.
Pretty much the only thing I don't like about this product is the fact that it's in a pencil form and needs sharpening.
The product is highly opaque and is very matte without being drying, though I would recommend that people with usually dry lips moisturise before application.
Though it's a great product, there are others that have a similar - if not the same - shade and texture in friendlier forms such as a lipstick tube. Therefore I will likely not be repurchasing this product.

Top Rated NARS Products