September 19, 2014 | 1005 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Garden Tomato Complexion Soap ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2009 8:48:00 PM More reviews by sugarlumples

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin actually responded pretty well to this soap. It didn't break me out, which is always nice. The smell is very nice when the bar is new, but it definitely fades into a less tomato-y smell after awhile. It is dirt cheap and lasts for a really long time. It gets off eye makeup well and leaves my skin feeling clean. It's not my HG face wash, but I keep a bar of it around most of the time.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2009 1:18:00 AM More reviews by redhotrachel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I didn't really care for this cleanser. I didn't hate it, but I also was not impressed at all. I only used it for a week, because I saw zero improvement in my skin, and I just couldn't get past the bar form. It's too messy for me. I actually did like the smell, although I can see how some people might be put off by it. I was hoping it would cut down on the oilies and help clear up my acne at least a little bit, but no suck luck. I think maybe someone with normal skin and a few small breakouts might benefit from this cleanser.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2009 7:57:00 AM More reviews by voodoochilde

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this product off and on for several years, at least 6 or 7. I was very pleased with it when I first started using it, mainly because of the smell (which I love) and its mild effect on my acne. Mild, yes, because this is not a miracle worker by any means. I didn't notice any reduction of blackheads at all, and this is with about a six months of continued twice daily use. It did work okay on redness and pimples, but nothing to write home about. Other soaps have done just as well, but the smell is a boon for me. I understand that others don't like it.

What I really like about this soap is that it removes makeup exceptionally well, cleanses completely, and, as previously mentioned, it smells good. Also, I have discovered that, if you get liquid foundation on an article of clothing, wet the soap, lather it a little, rub it lightly on the fabric, then wash as normal in the washing machine. No stains! I removed Revlon ColorStay from a white blouse using this method. I keep a bar of this soap on hand just for such emergencies.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2009 5:22:00 PM More reviews by shalashaska

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

This soap is intended to "balance oily skin" and "refine enlarged pores." I don't know that it's refined my pores, but I do really like it because it leaves my skin feeling so soft. My face is very smooth after using this, and even though it hasn't really done anything to clear my complexion, it's worth it to keep my skin feeling soft without making it seem more oily. It really does seem to balance my oily skin without drying it out. Even in the winter, when my skin is a bit dry around the corners of my nose, this soap is not too harsh for me. I think it's gentle enough that it can be used even on normal skin. I expect, however, that it may be too drying if you have consistently dry skin to begin with. Lastly, like many Burt's Bees products, it does have a rather strong and distinct smell, so much so that my entire bathroom smelled like this soap when I first got it, and I had to apologize to my housemates. Either I've worn it in, or I've just gotten used to it because I don't notice it anymore until it's up near my face; anyway, I've grown to like the scent. Give it a whiff in the store just to make sure it's for you. You can probably smell it without opening the box.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2009 8:37:00 PM More reviews by bbBearBear

I love this soap. I'm writing this review after using it for 3.5 weeks. I've used Clinique's level 3 soap and Neutrogena's acne soap before. Neutrogena is not good, it irritates my skin and I get itchy red patches after I wash my face. Price wise is in between Neutrogena and Clinique, but it's still acceptable (to me). I have to buy it online since they are not commonly avail. in Canada yet. It diffuses a mild, earthy, carrot-like scent. But note they put perfume in it. And this causes me to take 1 lippie off. Sometimes I react to fragrances in skin care products, but this didn't. It lathers up easily and cleanses very well (like most other face soaps), but doesn't over dry my face. Sometimes when I have more make up on that day, I'll wash it a second time to get a streaky clean feeling. It's also very gentle, because I rub it on my eye lids and undereye to wash off eye shadows and baby oil (I use it to remove water proof mascara, and it leaves an oily film). Of coarse I get the soap in my eye and it burns a little. I've used other great gel cleansers before (like Marcelle), but it stings my eyes more. Also another reason to use soap is that I want to move away from the sulfate chemicals that exist in most liquid cleansers. Just before using Burt's bee's soap, I used up my The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil gel cleanser - a powerful, a little drying, and anti-septic cleanser. I was a little concerned if I move away from the anti-septic thing, I will start getting more pimps again. But thank god this garden tomato soap didn't cause me 1 pimp at all. I have oily combo, acne-prone, and sometimes sensitive skin. Thumbs up for no animal testing in ingredients and finish product! I don't mnd the simple package - simple recycled paper box. Very environmentally friendly and good enough to store soaps. One note is that the ingredients shown on the box differs on the website. I empathy the reviewer below who is astonished to find Carmine as a colouring. But just to let you all know It is commonly referred as to Red Lake 4 (I forgot which one, but Red Lake #). If you are allergic to this chemical, check all your makeup - blush, lipstick, lipgloss... Anyways, a good soap I will keep buying!

Ingredients on the box: Vegetable soap (I wonder which vegi is this derivied from), vegetable glycerin, fragrance, tomato powder, water, aloe barbadensis, carmine, annato.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2009 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Musiclee

The first time I used this soap, I liked it. My skin looked calm and while it felt a bit tight, it wasn't flaking. Three days later I noticed my face becomed flakier, tight and red (Note: I also use this in conjuction with the Garden Tomato Toner.). It has been a week and while normally, I would give a product more time, I feel like there are better cleansers. Also, this soap contains the ingredient 'Carmine' which is a red color that comes from the dried female cochineal beetle; while it may be "natural", I do not want to use such product on my face. I will say for such a low price, you get much for your money; if it does help your complextion in a way others do not, I'm glad for you. Unfortunately, this soap has done nothing for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2009 9:01:00 AM More reviews by hairfitness

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this last year and discontinued using it, for what reason, I don't know. I think I just wanted to try the next latest thing. But I recently went back to using this, along with the tomato toner. I want to get th blemish stick (which I have used in the past and liked- it's not a miracle product but neither are any of the others, it just helps with inflammation) . Anyhow, I am enjoying this very much now. It is drying up the acne I had. And my skin doesn't itch or get to tight after using it. Actually, the toner gets whatever dirt the soap brought to the surface. And then my skin feels like it can breath. And I actually haven't needed to moisturize, which is rare. I do wish BB's made a light tomato moisturizer though. That would be nice.

One other thing, once a week, I use the soap bark cream cleanser in the tube (not the exfoliating one, I use St. Ives apricot scrub once in awile for that- it's cheaper) . I'm not sure why, but this routine just seems to work well for me. I leave the cream cleanser on like a mask while I shower, then rinse. Occassionally I will then wash face with the bar, only if I feel a residue. The bar leaves no residue behind. Then tone. Face is smooth, clear, and feels alive! I will definitely repurchase. The bar lasts forever so the price isn't bad considering.

Update: I loved these products so I am not changing the rating but I recently was diagnosed with rosacea and had to switch to Cetaphil with great results. I wish I could use a more organic product but it's the only thing that doesn't cause flare ups for me. BB's would be great for regular oily skin with slight breakouts, not complicated skin like mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2009 4:43:00 PM More reviews by JeanineH

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a review for the Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Complexion Soap in the 4 oz. bar.

Packaging: This soap comes in a simple recycled box containing 30% post-consumer waste, which is decorated with tomato art. On the back, the box lists the ingredients, usage, and that the product is not tested on animals. This product is also 96.80% natural.

Aroma: The fragrance of this soap is very earthy. It actually smells just like a tomato garden, but fresh and clean at the same time. I happen to think that it is tolerable (not my favorite, not bad though), but is true to exactly what the soap is made from: Tomatoes and the tomato plant. It definitely makes my face feel clean and supple, though. Which I adore.

Product: The soap is so nice to look at. When you open the box, you can tell that the company took a lot of time to make it, and that it is definitely more natural than what most people are used to. When you feel it, this soap is hard and softly textured. It is orange in color. I do not have oily skin, but this soap was awesome to use. It lathered nicely, cleansed my skin gently but thoroughly, and left my face baby smooth. There was absolutely no residue left on my skin. I would recommend this to a friend and buy again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 3:00:00 PM More reviews by barnycat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. I have combo, acne prone skin. I purchased this on clearance for about 4 dollars. I like Burt's Bees products and had high hopes. This doesn't dry out my skin or make it feel tight. I like the tomato scent and my face feels clean. However I think this actually makes my acne slightly worse. I used it for about 2 weeks with no improvment to my skin. I think my jaw line acne actual became worse and the pores on my chin clogged. I stopped using it on my face. Perhaps I can use the rest up as hand soap. It's a big bar and lasts a long time. I won't repurchase because it didn't work for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2008 12:31:00 AM More reviews by daisyb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I began using this, it seemed like all the gunk in my skin came up to the surface, so I thought it was working well. However, the progress stalled, and my skin got worse--the pimples that came up stubbornly remained, my pores got bigger, and my skin got oilier. Just not a good cleanser for me. Also don't like using a bar--prefer a liquid in a bottle.