July 24, 2014 | 969 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Nivea - Nivea Creme

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 10:48:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am a total Nivea Convert as of this year. I cannot believe it has taken me this long to use the creme and as a Face cream!! I have very sensitive/reactive/combo to dry skin that is acne prone. Yeah, I won the skin lottery lol. I have been able to finally get my skin to a point that it is calm, no redness by using cold cream as a cleanser/Pond's wipes, witch hazel toner and I was using Argan oil or a skin oil blend for moisture. I turned 42 this year and my skin has gone from being combo to oil to almost more totally dry. It's weird for me to get used to the change and sometimes not sure what products to use for moisture as a lot of moisturizers on the market do not agree with my picky skin. I do great with argan oil but it really is not enough moisture alone. I tried Pond's dry skin cream and though its great for the body and neck, on my face it gives my tiny whiteheads. My Neighbor suggested I try Nivea and gave me a brand new tiny sample jar in the cute little tin. I tried it around my eyes first and wow, overnight they became completely rehydrated. Before using the creme they were dry and getting kind of creepy looking. It did not sting my eyes at all which is very rare for any cream for me. The next night I tried allover. I used the La Mer cream application method (It's actually a french skincare application method also used by Clarins). Emulsify the cream in your hands until almost clear and Pat into the skin, not rub. the formula is not meant to rub and tug. A little greasy at first but within 20 minutes it had warmed up to my skin and melted in. I went to bed and was amazing in the morning. Past breakouts were almost cleared and unnoticable, skin was soft, supple and I really did have that glow!! I was hooked. I have used this twice a day everyday and my skin looks fantastic. I'm not using any actives other than twice a week at night I am using a natural Fruit enzyme peel. the only true prevention for wrinkles in Proper moisture balance and staying out of the sun.

Pros-
Inexpensive $5 for a large tub at CVS (the mexican version) with ingredients comparable to La Mer (Which is $100 plus) minus the algae extract. But works EXACTLY the same. I have a small sample jar of LaMer and prefer the Nivea if you can believe that.

Rehydrates dehydrated skin like nothing else I have tried, overnight it got rid of all dryness/flakes and they have not returned.

any scars, dark marks on my face are healing ten times faster. I think there is definitely some kind of healing ability with this creme. My Face is more even toned. Even my BF mentioned how good my skin looks and he actually like the light scent.

No breakouts, pimples, whiteheads. as a matter of fact the two pimples on my face shrunk totally overnight and I have not had one since. that in itself is a miracle.

Cons:- the tin requires your hands to be completely clean. I keep the tiny tins for a hand cream and not worry about those. My big tin I found a scooper at Sally's and use that instead. I understand why cremes need to be in jars. This stuff is pretty darn thick to put in a tube, I think the Tube version of this is less thick but I have not tried it yet.

Even if you are breakout prone this might be a surprise for you. Super oily types will need to take it easy on the application but to be honest I found this much less greasy than Pond's dry skin cream once it sunk into my skin, it was left supple, moisturized, glowing but not greasy at all. It made my makeup glide on like a dream.

I can't believe Im saying this...HG product for me. the only other HG product I use is Pond's cold cream.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2014 3:15:00 AM More reviews by Isane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin was particularly dry last winter so I decided to try this product after reading all the great reviews. This product is very thick and I find that it takes some time to sink in. After applying my face does feel moisturized but also very greasy. For that reason, I only used it as a night cream. After a few weeks, I stopped using the product because it was causing me to breakout. The fragrance is also very strong and lingers for a long time. While I don't like this product for the face, I've found good use for it as a foot cream. I just apply at night and slip on some socks. The scents doesn't bother nearly as much this way and I wake up with nice smooth feet :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2014 5:48:00 AM More reviews by queenofga

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have mild eczema which is well controlled without any meds. However, I moisturize religiously, typically using lubriderm advanced immediately after showering and - if I'm really dry - prepping my skin with a thin coat of Vaseline before the lubriderm. I'm on vacation at the beach right now and found the sun, salt from the ocean, and chlorine from the pool have dried my skin out terribly and has me itching even after my Vaseline/lubriderm application. Saw the Nivea cream at the grocery store and scooped it up - although it's thick paste texture is harder to apply than Vaseline, it absorbed very well and did not leave me greasy. My skin is soft and well moisturized and it's NOT ITCHING. Love it. Worth the US $8 I paid for it. Wouldn't dream of using this on my face - wayyyy too heavy for my combo acne prone skin. Plus, it contains mineral oil, glycerin, petroleum and a whole bunch of other stuff (preservatives maybe?) that would be a disaster on my face. Even still - love it!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2014 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Angelcake92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

It it very thick which can make it difficult to apply. It doesnt leave me feeling greasy an hour later the way other thick creams like astral can. I tend to use it at night rather than day. I like it and the fresh scent but since I am prone to trying out new products all the time I probably wouldnt buy it again

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2014 8:21:00 AM More reviews by distillafan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing! Moisturising, clean scent. Always come back to it. HG!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 1:49:00 AM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I read through over 20 pages of reviews for this cream and couldn't find any mention of the difference between the UK Nivea and the North American. People write about the Mexican made vs. the German made, and one made in Thailand. Here in British Columbia you can buy the Mexican (in blue plastic jar or small tube) or the German (in blue metal tin). The ingredients are almost exactly the same, a slightly different order for one or two ingredients. The Mexican one has preservatives.

Both of these feel identical and smell identical (like citronella), and the cream separates from the water in it as you put it on your skin, which doesn't happen with any other cream I've ever used. I just don't get the intense love for this unless you all are getting a different cream that doesn't separate. Or are all the drug stores here selling ancient stock?

I used to use Nivea when I was younger. I went to England for a holiday in 1985 and bought some Nivea there, and it had a different scent, very beautiful, not like the insect repellant (citronella) scent that the North American (German, Mexican) version have, and had. I hadn't used it since, always remembering the nice UK version. Well, I have such dry skin that I decided to buy some today when I saw the huge tin from Germany on sale for $6.99 at London Drugs.

Edit May 5, 2014: I have used this a few times and find it completely annoying. It goes on like shortening mixed with paste; it stays on the skin and does not ever sink; and it smells like insect repellant. I can see why women used this 70 years ago when there was nothing else in the world to keep the skin hydrated. But I'd rather use plain Vaseline than this if I want hydration with grease. At least the Vaseline sinks in overnight. The Nivea stays on forever. I can't see that it could be good for the skin.

I'd like to comment that Paula Begoun gives this a bad rating based on the preservatives used in the Mexican formula. She doesn't seem to be aware of the German version which has no preservatives.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by 8bitAmes

I have about 12 jars of this cream in my life right now. I'm not completely sure how that happened, but I'm okay with that. If you are offended by/sensitive to fragrance, you should walk away right now. While many call the fragrance 'clean' or 'classic', it is mildly 'old lady-ish' (floral? Medicinal? I can't pinpoint it). I think old ladies are adorable and they know their skincare. I use this on my face - I like to slather it on at night (neck, lips, eyelids) - and anywhere else I'm dry, particularly in the winter (cuticles, elbows, knees, ankles - am I weird?). It does what it is supposed to do, which is probably why this product has largely positive reviews. It has really stood the test of time. Also, Marilyn Monroe used it and that makes me feel extra luxurious.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Rebeeka125

Love this in the winter for my hands

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Sherrywijaya

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Super duper moisturizing,people with normal skin use nivea soft,this i use for ankles elbows and knees

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by hannahskm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Have a big tub sitting in my bathroom! I use it every night to cream my face and neck!
Great product!