Nivea Nivea Creme

4.2

(European version): Water, Paraffinum Liquidum, Cera Microcristallina, Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit, TM), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol. (U.S. Mexican Version) : Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerine, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazoline, Methylisothiazolinone.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a solidly good moisturizing cream.

I have extremely dry skin that is also acne-prone but otherwise not overly sensitive. I have used this cream as a moisturizer for face and hands and haven't had any problems with it. I don't use this exclusively, as I'm now trying out Nivea Soft as a general moisturizer, but when I did, I used it morning and night (in the morning after cleanser, vitamin c serum, and sunscreen, and at night after cleanser, Stridex, glycolic acid serum, and sometimes additional serums, and immediately followed by Aquaphor).

The good:
- This stuff is very moisturizing, which is exactly what I need. Although it's thick, it sinks in pretty quickly for me and doesn't leave me greasy.
- It's cheap (one tub is $6-7 at CVS and lasts me maybe 2 months).
- I like the packaging (a dark blue plastic jar with minimal text and a screw on lid -- some people don't like jars, but this product is far too thick to be in any other type of container, and I like that jars are compact, portable, and don't spill).

The bad (or potentially bad):
- This does have fragrance, which I know is irritating to some people. It doesn't bother my skin, but it's worth mentioning.
- It is DIFFICULT to apply. I usually put some on my hands and rub them together quickly so it melts a bit then pat it on my face, but it is VERY thick. Don't expect a luxurious-feeling experience putting this one on.
- If I put it on within ~45 minutes of using Stridex, it immediately turns to this weird watery consistency. No idea why.
- I feel that the moisturizing properties are intensive but short-lived (relatively). This is something I find with many moisturizers -- for my very dry skin, it's rarely enough to moisturize just twice a day -- but it's worth noting.

Overall: I really like it! Great for dry skin!

on 8/4/2015 12:05:00 PM

I had been using Queen Helene Triple Whipped Cleansing Cream along with the Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Cream to cleanse an moisturize my face. I really like them but I have been having a hard time finding them. I recently ran out of the cleansing cream and needed a cleanser pronto, so I went to Target to find something that hopefully would work on my very sensitive skin. I saw the colbat blue jar and remembered an article I read saying how you could use this as a cleanser/moisturizer and about a million other things so I decided to give it a try. Also, I like the fact it is petroleum based! I tend to have irritattion when the ingredients get fancy, so its the American version for me!
Anyway, I LOVE THIS CREME! It really is all purpose! I use it to cleanse my face and neck (like a cold cream) and moisturize from head to toe! The cream is thick, but somehow manages to not be greasy. Since water is the main ingredient it is very refreshing when applied. The scent is very fresh, with sweet floral notes, I really like it, but scent is so personal.
This is going to clear some space in my cabinets once I use up all of the other lotions and creams I have collected over the years. I reccommend you spend one dolllar and try it out for yourself!

on 7/24/2015 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to like Nivea Creme because I have fond memories of the scent - it was the only hand/face/body cream my grandmother used - and I like the retro iconic blue tin.
Sadly that's the only things I like about it. The texture is awfully greasy and just sits on the skin which was rather unpleasant. There are lots of far better products out there and this didn't cut it at all.

on 7/19/2015 4:55:00 AM

I'm going to be a "Negative Nancy" here, but here goes. I was not a big fan of this cream, but my mom used it for so many years. Funny how now she doesn't like it.

First things first, I hate the scent. It's just awful to me. It moisturized my super dry hands a bit, but that faded quickly. I was always left with a film of grease no matter how little I used. I also checked and noticed ours has mineral oil in it, I'm not sure where to get the one made in Germany that does not have mineral oil (check previous reviews if you have no idea what I'm talking about). Lastly, I hate the packaging. It's very unsanitary. It is affordable though, so that is good.

Overall, I don't like mineral oil so I tend to not use products that have it. I don't really like the cream in general, especially because of the scent. I definitely think there are better options out there.

The Nivea creme I use is from Germany - the one for the U.S market uses mineral oil amongst its ingredients, so I thought I'd make this distinction for the review. Doing some digging around, Paula's Choice site has a listing of both formulas:
Also, there is some useful info on this Amazon page on the product (i.e., if the creme is in a plastic tub it's probably made in Mexico for North American market, whereas the metal tin version is from Germany):
Smallflowers has tins of German cream. There might be other distributors, but this is the place I've heard about:

Okay, on with the review, lol. This cream is thick and is a excellent barrier - I use it for hands, elbows and feet (and wear socks), just before bed, it works a treat. I have tried it on my face and didn't have any adverse reaction (it doesn't have any high comedogenic ingredients as far as I can tell), but it's a bit too thick. I probably would use it if I lived in a very wintery place though! I buy it when it goes on sale (so cheap and a 150 ml tin last a while); but even at its regular price, it is good value. I hope this information is useful to you. :)

on 6/26/2015 10:11:00 PM

I use this as my night cream during the winter months (the German one) and while its thick and SUPER greasy, it really gets the job done. Didn't break out my acne-prone oily skin, and when I woke up in the morning, my skin was smooth and plump.

on 6/18/2015 11:04:00 AM

i buy the little blue tub at the dollar store. i keep them everywhere, home, work, purse. for hands,feet, elbows, even my face at night.

on 6/15/2015 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I had dry flaky skin on my toes when I tried this creme for the first time. I like the heavy texture and because my toes were severely dry I usually applied the creme thick every day; morning, throughout the day whenever I felt like to and of course every night. I never noticed how long it took until my skin became smooth again. But I thought it was like in a month or so. Since then this creme became my necessity. Recently I had dry knees due to constant kneeling during my art project, so I applied this creme as frequent as I could. I even have it in my purse. And overtime the dryness is gone. I don't think of any other creme that can top this.

Please pay attention to where this is made. BUY THE GERMAN VERSION.
This is the mainstream sold in England, so do not bother buying it online as they sell it so cheaply at your local drug-store.
If i am desperate for moisture, i will use this on my face, but it is so heavy and will clog my pores if i use this morning and night. Once i am older, i will though.
On the body, it is tough to apply as it is so thick and spreading it is tiresome, but great for circulation/massage. The pay off is gorgeous though, your skin, on your body, will be so well moisturised, so even looking and youthful. On my breasts, i swear it makes them perkier.
Apply to dry skin, it just doesn't work well on damp/wet.
This should be in your beauty cabinet. It out performs its cheap status and makes you glow.

on 5/25/2015 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

The creme feels very heavy, and that's way the product is not a 5 out of 5 for me. Besides that it works well, and acts as a great base for my BB cream. (Though I'm using other moisturizers that does the same thing, but without the heavy feeling.)