December 18, 2014 | 1658 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Nivea - Nivea Creme

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 7:20:00 AM More reviews by aksharad

This review is for the Mexican version on Nivea. I have never tried the German version since you just don't get that in India. Recently I started using a quite popular face wash with 2% salicylic acid, thinking it would help my acne. Within two days of using it, I found my oily skin feeling extremely dry and rough. It almost burned when it came to contact with anything, and that was just after two uses of the face wash. Naturally, I stopped using it and decided to calm my troubled skin by using some gentle moisture. That's when Nivea stepped in. As soon as I patted some Nivea on the irritated, dry patches on my skin, it was like my skin absorbed it completely. After a couple of uses, my skin was calmed, soothed and almost felt like it's former, normal self. Also, despite of Nivea being thick and heavy in texture, it never broke me out. I've always had a tin of it lying around in my house and this incident just further testifies its effectiveness and versatility.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2014 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nivea is a classic cream for me; a family association.
I am an ardent fan of the scent and texture. The scent - is to die for! I read somewhere that it is a mix of lily of the valley, rose, lilac, lavender, violets, orange etc which are all my favourite scents! It is that classic Nivea scent that is sooo soothing and comfortable on a physiological as well as emotional level as I have family memories associated with it.

The creme is not too greasy. In colder months, I generally soften the cream between the palms of my hands and dab it on the skin, usually after a shower while the skin pores are still open. The Germany version of the creme is a bit more oily and the Mexican one is more waxy or thicker (solid). I prefer the less oily version - ideally a mix of the German version and the Mexican version! :)) I also prefer the Nivea creme to the Nivea lotions as the former is a thick, rich cream which works excellent for dry winters.

I generally tend to buy the larger tub of the creme as that goes a long way compared to the disc tins which I tend to lose :( . Surprisingly, since the creme is thick I thought a little would go a long way but actually a lot of creme is needed for application as body butter. Therefore the larger tub works out more economical. The price difference between the largest tub and and the smaller tub is only 50c which is funny considering that the smaller tub has almost half the creme compared to the largest tub.

The only ingredients in this cream that I am uneasy about are the 'lanolin alcohol' and the two methyl* preservatives - I tend to forget the names - they are super long names. Put on the face, this cream sometimes causes breakouts and I suspect the lanolin alcohol or the methyl* preservative ingredients. I recently read that the two methyl* ingredients which are used in the Mexican version may cause contact dermatitis and are as bad or worse than parabens. Apparently Nivea is working to replace these ingredients. I am very hesitant to use this on the face. This cream works great as a 'body butter'.

This cream works so well on scaly, chapped feet! I had been using J.R.Watkins foot creme which has fancy ingredients like peppermint essential oil and other nourishing oils but unfortunately, the Watkins foot creme was doing nothing for smoothing the skin on elbows, knees and heels. Using Nivea creme has helped a lot. Feet are now very soft and smooth. The Nivea creme is cheaper than Watkins lotion, too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Read on Gloss and Dirt that this was a must for legs when wearing dresses or skirts the morning before I had a schmoozy cocktail thing with people my husband works with that I was planning to wear a short dress to. Stopped just for this on my way home.

It does add a very nice sheen to skin. It's not sparkly or something, just a nice, subtle shine that enhances the look of skin. I was surprised at what a (good) difference it made. It rubbed in pretty quickly but didn't absorb for a few hours, so my legs felt kinda sticky, which was less than pleasant but worth it. This would be great in the winter as well for dry skin, as it's a very rich formula.

The jar is $8 but a little goes a long way. I won't be without this for miniskirts again as long as it's not too humid out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2014 12:35:00 PM More reviews by Lafunambuliste

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm just writing to add in the fact that the German formula does contain petroleum - parafinnum liquidum=petroleum/petrolatum=mineral oil... all basically the same! Many, especially higher-end companies use the term parafinnum because most people don't equate it with petroleum and it sounds fancier. That being said, of course, if the German formula does right by your skin, don't let that turn you off. Just a note!
Also, the petroleum won't sink into the skin - the molecule is too large to do that. Marilyn Monroe used to put a THICK layer of vaseline (pure petroleum) on after moisturizing and also before makeup to protect her skin and make her glow on film. The layer of greasy stuff seals everything in by sitting on top, so it actually can help improve the efficacy of your moisturizer!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2014 11:33:00 AM More reviews by cherrypeaches

I use this on my eye area including the lashes and eyebrows before bed every night and wake up looking super fab. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2014 7:58:00 AM More reviews by acatcalledbellatrix

Since this is always listed as a cult product I thought I'd give it a go when Priceline had their 40% off skincare sale, not that the price was too steep to begin with. I only purchased the small tub as I wasn't sure my overly sensitive skin would agree with it and did't want to waste a large amount of product.

Nivea Creme is very very thick and very hard to spread around the body. I found I needed quite a bit of it to cover my whole body and therefore my small tub only lasted about five full body applications. This was a very very nourishing cream and made my severely dehydrated skin a lot healthier looking. There are better moisturisers out there though so I don't know if I'd repurchase this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Jkgraika

Love this product. Super rich and creamy. My skin feels great after using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2014 4:38:00 AM More reviews by SummerGlow

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Someone mentioned that this is similar to LaMer and so I tried it for 6 months.
It's exactly the same as LaMer and performs the same. It even smells the same.
Thank you to whoever suggested this. To hell with LaMer, Nivea has really impressed me.
In the summer when it's hot and humid and my skin isn't as dry, I use Nivea as an eye cream. It diminishes fine lines incredibly well and it plumps my skin so in the morning my skin looks great.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 5:24:00 PM More reviews by Shelby22

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This isn't really a review on the product because I haven't given it enough time to work, but will report back. I've tried so many eye creams, some very expensive and noticed that with each one my skin almost looked plumped. Well, plumped isn't really a good description, but more "puffy", and when I laughed the crows feet looked more pronounced than if I had used nothing. I stopped using all eye creams, and lightly dabbed with witch hazel to bring down the puffiness. If I don't smile, the corners of my eyes look smooth, so it's only when I laugh that it shows....and quite pronounced.
So, I walked into the drugstore and asked the cashier what she used on her skin because it looked clear, healthy and not lined, even when she smiled. She's 59 yrs old.
She took me to the shelf and pointed out..yeah, you guessed it..good old Nivea. The one my Mom always used too, the one that I figured was too dated to even try. Just the normal nivea in a blue jar. I asked her if she used it around the eyes. Yes, she does. ;)

so I'm going to give this a try for a while and stop using all the other creams. I do find that plain old witch hazel will bring down puffiness around the eyes in the morning, so will continue with that, but basically I need just some moisture in the skin so will try, only at night because it is too heavy for daytime use on the face. I have some no7 protect & perfect and use just a tiny amount under the eye in the morning so that my cover cream goes on more smoothly. I'll try to remember to update the post after a month or so and let you know what I think. I'm 58 yrs old, so this is a good test! ;)

UPDATE 3 months later: Nivea is too heavy to use every evening before bedtime, but still using it about twice a week. I haven't used any eye creams in 3 months and the skin around the eyes looks less puffy, and healthier. Witch hazel is a lifesaver for those mornings when lack of sleep shows. Also discontinued with the no7 eye cream in the morning, and I'd have to say that the skin is healthier. Because there is less puffiness, the eyes don't look as crinkled when smiling. Overall, I think Nivea is a wonderful cream for moisturizing. I also have sensitive skin and had no reaction to this cream, and no breakouts. I've been alternating between Olay Regenerist Contour cream and the Nivea at night only. These 2 products keep my skin looking healthy, moisturized and I have minimal lines. Jan I'll be 59, and my skin is still smooth, so worth a try for the $6? and if it doesn't work for you, then use it on the hands, neck and chest.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 12:41:00 AM More reviews by CharcuterieQueen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My HG moisturizer. This outperforms every single creme on the market. It outperformed La Mer in a clinical trial:

Nivea transformed my skin. I remember the morning I was in the shower and it felt like a baby's butt for the first time.

BTW, don't fall for the German formula hype. The only difference between the two formulas is that the German one lacks petroleum. Funnily enough, I don't care for the German version as I have to rub a bit more vigorously. In any case, try both and decide what feels best.

I'll use this till the day I die.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No