Lancome Le Crayon Poudre in Taupe

4.5

on 1/12/2011 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this over a month ago. I saw a YouTube guru using this, and I really liked the way it looked. Since we both have similar hair color and skin tones, I figured it might work for me too.

I usually like to use a brow powder, but when my routine is pressed for time, it's always good to have a pencil around for a quicker application.

It's hard for me to find an eyebrow pencil that isn't too warm. I have dark brown/blackish hair, and when I use eyebrow pencils meant for brunettes, they will often have a reddish or orange undertone to it.

This pencil is not cheap. USD$24, I believe. But fortunately, I found it on eBay for half the price. It's a double-ended pencil. One side has the pencil tip while the other has a spoolie wand. A convenient feature. The pencil almost has a powdery feel to it, so the spoolie is great for both combing brow hairs and blending out the color. Lasting power is pretty good; my brows still looked filled and defined at the end of the day.

This color is a warm ashy taupe. It does have a very slight warm tone to it, but it isn't as obvious as other pencils I've tried. I feel like I can get away with this color much better. Although, I think I would prefer it more if the color was slightly cooler in tone.

The pigmentation is buildable and doesn't apply too dark or harshly, so you don't need to worry about being very light-handed with this. The color is quite soft and the consistency of the pencil makes it look more natural. For the past month, I've been reaching for this a lot.

Still trying to decide whether or not this is HG. The price is the biggest con for me, since I prefer sticking to drug-store prices. But if I can continue to find this on sale, I think I would would repurchase. For you brunette gals looking for a nice not-too-warm or not-too-harsh brow pencil, you may like this one.

on 10/23/2010 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

The color is perfect for me and my dark brows. I'd been using a dark brown and it was still too harsh. I like the handy brush - heck, ought to get that too for the price.
It is easier by far to apply with a pencil than those tiny brushes.

It's not cheap, but I bet this pencil will outlive me.

on 7/24/2010 12:18:00 PM

So easy to use. A sales associate talked me into getting a shade darker once and it was way too dark for my complexion and looked really unnatural a la Joan Crawford. The taupe was perfect for my light brown brows!

on 5/25/2010 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This product was a huge disappointement to me, but that was probably because I'd built up expectations too high before I had even tried it. I really like the idea of the powder in a pencil form, and it really does work. I'm better at applying powder like this than I am with a cake and brush approach.

But now for the bad part. I don't understand why it's so difficult for companies to include a true ash shade in their brow lines. Clinique has one, but it's a little bit dark for me, and the consistency of that brow liner isn't nearly as nice as this one.

My skintone is a warm PPP, but the rest of me is all cool -- cool pinkish cheeks, pale cool blue eyes, and light brown hair without a speck of red in it. Any warmth in my hair (including the brows) comes strictly from yellow; if I didn't know that red pigment is present in every darker hair color I'd never guess there was any in mine.

Both the pouder itself and the packaging looks like it would match me, but somehow both on my face and on my hand it's just too red. Mind you, it's not a very red color, it's just that I have no visible red tones anywhere on my natural body so it sticks out when I wear it.

I don't know, maybe I'll end up gifting it to a friend if it works for any of them. I really wish it worked better for me, because the product aside from the color is really unique and works great.

on 5/18/2010 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was so excited to try this pencil, but sadly, it left me disappointed.

Probably the most trying aspect of the pencil is its texture. I have fair, but thicker brows. Because of the powdery consistency, the color kind of "sits" in my brow hairs and doesn't look natural. It also catches in some spots, so some areas have more color than others.

I do like that it comes with a spoolie - and it's been getting a lot of use while I've been wrestling with the pencil. *lol* It is a little stiff, but for thicker brows like mine, it's nice for really getting in there to brush them out so they look neat.

The taupe color itself is okay. I have ashy, dark brown hair, and this was a little on the warm side for me. It's not really red, but I wish it was a tad cooler/ashier.

Overall, I think this is a nice pencil, but not for people with more dense brows. If you're like me, go for something with a firmer texture.

on 5/3/2010 1:17:00 AM

Very natural colour. I have mine for two years already, and I still have half a pencil left. I guess I just need to lightly fill out my brows, that's why it lasts me for sooo long. Texture is great as well. I got mine for free, so I'm not quite sure if it's $$ or not. Usually, Lancome products are a little bit more than regular drug store products, but it's worth every single penny you are spending! Recommend for everyone, esp beginners!

Not bad. The taupe doesn't have those unnatural orange tones that are my biggest bugbear. Wouldn't mind the colour to be a tad lighter, though: it seems to me a light brown rather than a true (ash-toned) taupe. The pencil has a smooth texture and I find I have to use a fairly light touch to fill in my brows accurately. Although the creamy colour lasts all day, a slightly drier/firmer texture would probably make application easier for someone with fair, sparse brows like mine. I'd probably repurchase because I like the fact it has a spoolie attached (albeit a really vicious scratchy one!), and because the shade lacks orange tones.
UPDATE: This product has become infinitely more workable now that I've found a good sharpener. I found I was wasting a lot of product, even when sharpening with an old Lancome sharpener I have. Now, I use an Urban Decay Grindhouse sharpener and this gives me an easy-to-use rounded point, with minimal waste.
I've decided to repurchase now that my pencil is getting dangerously stumpy! I've also decided to up my lippie score to 4, because I've been getting loads of compliments about my (supposedly) 'perfect brows' for the duration of my using this product.

love the texture of this. it goes on easily, but not at all too harsh. Just the perfect consistency. the color is ever so slightly too warm... but still works.
i like that there is a spoolie on this because i like to comb my brows with it prior to filling in my brows, however, the spoolie is a little rough and can scratch, if i'm not careful.
this pencil is a little pricey... but overall worth it.
other brow products that i like are, cliniques superfine in soft brown (i like this one, but i need to use a light hand and there is no spoolie on the end, i like that it is a very fine pencil.), and anastasia's brow wiz in medium ash (this is good too, but i find i need to use a heavier hand with this product, and sometimes it gets too dark for my liking.. however the spoolie on this one is really soft and doesnt scratch, unlike the lancome one.)

on 4/12/2010 9:04:00 AM

Looooooove this!
Such a natural color. Helps me look put-together so fast. I bought this also for the brush at the end of the pencil because I think that's great. It's a 2-in-1 product = fantastic.
x

on 1/8/2010 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Previously I was using Laura Mercier Brow Pencil #Blonde but this shade was too light on my very dark blonde brows and the pencil was too hard. I don't need to fill in my eyebrows but use a brow pencil to make them look slightly more defined. So I got this pencil (eBay) after reading this one is a powdery brow pencil with a softer texture and #Taupe supposedly would work on both blondes & brunettes. I'm very happy with this brow pencil; it just glides on my brows and the colour is very natural looking. This shade is a tad darker than the LM Brow Pencil #Blonde. For sharpening I use my Stila sharpener; I also use this one to sharpen my Clinique Creamshapers & Khol Pencils and it's working just fine. Highly recommended!

Popular Brows Products