July 29, 2014 | 1187 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Emeraude

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2011 10:00:00 AM More reviews by Bombshell222

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As one reviewer said below, "Poor Woman's Shalimar"....and she is definitely correct. I love the classic bombshell fragrances, and Shalimar is one of them. However, I was not going to waste $90.00 on a small bottle from Macy's. Being Ms. Practical, I went to my local CVS and remembered that Emeraude smells very similar to Shalimar. Haven't worn this since high school, but once I smelled the tester I knew it was still a pretty good knock off of Shalimar. The dry down is actually lighter than Shalimar, and I really like it. For $24.00 for a large bottle, you cant' go wrong. I have everyone fooled that it is Shalimar when I wear it...my secret :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2011 6:56:00 PM More reviews by awesomeness2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is fun to have if you can find a sufficiently old bottle for very little money. I have a bottle from the 60s and another one from the 70s. Both are very good, but you can tell that the fragrance became less fierce between those two time frames.

If you're unsure of the approximate age of your bottle, google images for Emeraude and find magazine print ads that have a picture of the bottle. Once you find a print ad with the bottle, you can find magazine with the year published.

Basically, old Emeraude is a Shalimar-like fragrance. In fact, for my 60s bottle, I actually like Emeraude more than Shalimar because I find it lighter and easier to wear. Yet both fragrances pack a punch and can come off a bit dated and dusty.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2011 5:55:00 PM More reviews by russetandvermilion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was my grandma's favorite perfume. She had long black hair and she was a cool lady. I like the vintage version of Coty Emeraude. The new version is very off--it doesn't smell as good. Emeraude reminds me of citrus (lime and grapefruit) mixed with the smell of face powder. I would really like to find a vintage bottle of this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2011 4:04:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

Wow I was quite surprised by Emeraude. I found an old old bottle of this up at my cabin probably from the 1940s and thought ewwww it smelled really dated (like a little old lady perfume). However after spraying it on and starting really rough and awful it had a really nice dry down on me. a powdery scent I would wear Emeraude for the dry down

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2011 8:36:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've heard that Emeraude was a gorgeous oriental years ago. The current version (which I found at Meijer for less than $3, which should have clued me in) reminds me of baby powder and diapers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Beautiful, pillowy, powdery - but only in its older formations. Got a collection of bottles from about the late 70s, in cologne and parfum. There is a definite familial resemblance to Shalimar, but again, only the vintage version. The newer one is thin and generic. Lovely!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OK a shadow of its former self, but still a pretty floriental that is streets ahead of some of the awful fruit/fizzy pop swill that some young ladies like to douse themselves in.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2010 9:59:00 PM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This scent isn't for me, personally, but I associate it with my classy, kindhearted, red-haired Southern grandmother who passed away several years ago. This is what she wore when she sat me on her lap when I was a wee girl. Recently, I bought a bottle of this for my own mother, because I knew it would remind her of her mom. My mom is allergic to perfume, but she does wear this one because it's so mild. I bought her the EDC version, and I'd buy it for her anytime again. I wouldn't wear this, because my memories are so strongly associated with the women of my family who raised me, and it remains "their" scent when they pass through my memories.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2010 1:14:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The old version of Emeraude was a classic which I loved in the 70s. The newer version (sold now) is urinacious skank. I'm only giving this 3 lippies because the newer version ruins Emeraude but I can't quite tank it (1 lippie) because the classic Emeraude (a vintage bottle I own) is so lovely.
There is a slight citrus veil when one first spritzes on vintage Emeraude. Quickly thereafter; beautiful woody accords come to the front. Classic Emeraude is a lovely warm floriental with soothing woodsy accords. It exudes simple class and elegance (despite it's price range, still a simply elegant classic).
I can only recommend Emeraude if you can find a vintage bottle. But then I can highly recommend it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2010 6:37:00 PM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is for the vintage version. This is one I associate with my grandmother. It was a soft, inexpensive floriental back then (70's), not too sweet. While Shalimar was always more beautiful, Emeraude was more wearable--none of the skank nor the odd disinfectant smell, just a pretty floriental. Unfortunately, the Emeraude sold today in drugstores and Walmart is NOT the same fragrance. It smells very chemical and cheap. Such a shame to lose such a beautiful fragrance loved by so many generations of women!