October 22, 2014 | 2023 users online

Foundations - Philosophy - the supernatural airbrush canvas

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by ChristyLuu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this. I always use this right after I put on liquid foundation to set it. I soaks up the oil. It doesn't cover up so well if worn alone because of my dark acne spots but I bet if I didn't have the spots, my skin probably would be nice and flawless. It looks the most natural it can get. I don't break out with this and I have acne-prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2011 8:35:00 AM More reviews by caz5000

Was using BE before buying this but wasn't happy with the mess/shine/coverage.

Philosophy's packaging seemed like a good idea at first, but it was only when I removed the sponge to wash it and started applying the product with a brush that I realised how rubbish the sponge actually is. I can get a much better finish.

In the UK it is totally impossible to buy the replacement sponges, so unless you want to wash it all the time, which I don't because they take about three days to dry, I'll continue to use it with a brush.

I like the coverage, natural ivory shade suits my fair skin. I find it last quite well through the day if you use a good primer.

I would purchase again

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 9:41:00 AM More reviews by nene312

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love, Love this powder foundation. It is technically called an 'air brush' foundation, but it is wonderful! You remove the lid and their is a sponge on top, and you just pat it on your face until you get the coverage you desire. It doesn't take very much, so a little goes a long way, and your face looks flawless. I hope they don't stop making this powder foundation like they did years ago when they came out with the 'Supernaturals' powder foundation in the white plastic 'shaker jar'! I loved it too.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Philipmom02

I've been using this for about a month now and I do like it. Its a nice sheer coverage foundation with an spf. It does give me a more uniform face and the shimmer wasn't very apparent on me (neutral shade). I did feel that it wore off fairly quicker than other mineral brands I've tried even with the Present primer underneath (BE, JI) ( i have normal/combo skin) I used it with the sponge applicator and I felt it did an adequate job and would work good for someone in a hurry. I didn't notice any bad scents and it had a very smooth texture on application. I think this product has bismuth however I didn't notice any itching. Overall its a good mid range foundation for those who want a quick cover however you may need to touch up mid day. (good thing its portable-friendly!)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2011 4:50:00 AM More reviews by shellbeach

PROS: Smooth, light, highly pigmented, looks natural, covers redness, removes shine, noncomedogenic, contains SPF, easy to find at local department stores, doesn't cake like liquid foundations do

CONS: Low to moderate coverage, matte finish, small, expensive, the foam sponge applicator does not work well

REVIEW: I searched Make Up Alley and other cosmetic websites for a well-rated high-end foundation, and I finally settled on Philosophy because it sounded like what I was looking for. I have multiple skin problems. The area around my nose is always red and inflamed (rosacea?) and it has large deep pores like an orange peel. Then there is a patch of cystic acne on my chin, old acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, and my forehead is bumpy. I feel really insecure about it and I don't have the means to go to a dermatologist or spa, so for the meantime I need something to cover it up and of course not make it worse. I thought this would be perfect because it's supposed to provide really good coverage.

I'm relatively happy with how it looks, but it just isn't what I was hoping for. The first problem is that the sponge isn't useful in applying the make up, so I use a large blush brush instead. Second, while it's great that it removes excess shine, it ends up making your skin look dull instead of dewy and fresh. It's just too matte. Sometimes I catch myself in the mirror and for a second it kind of reminds me of a body lying in a casket, if that makes sense. I'm experimenting with using a liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer and then putting this on top, but then it looks really obvious that I'm wearing make up. The third problem is the level of coverage--if you have any dark spots or scars, which I do, they will show right through the make up, so you have to use concealer as well.

On the other hand, it looks much more natural than liquid foundation, which can leave streaks or dry cakey stuff on your skin, and almost always ages you and looks obvious. I'm also really impressed with how well it disguises the red patches of skin I have around my nose. It definitely doesn't make my skin break out like oil-based foundations do. So I will probably keep using this until it's gone, but I won't buy it again. Next I will probably try Dermablend or CoverFX, something a lot heavier.

COLOR RECOMMENDATION: If you are very light-skinned but tan pretty easily, I would recommend Natural Ivory. I'm part Latina and it matches my skin perfectly. It has nice yellow undertones. If you're a light-skinned Latina, Southeast Asian, Middle Easterner, or maybe from a Mediterranean country like Italy, this is probably the color for you.

SUMMARY: It's good, but it's not worth $35. This is make up for people who don't really need make up or who have very minor imperfections. If this describes you, you may want to try Physician's Formula Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder first. The formula is a little different but it is roughly the same and it's only $12.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2011 7:33:00 PM More reviews by SamounLovesCupcakes

So I purchased this product about 3 months ago and prob. used it less then a handful of times. What was I thinking?? How could I pushed it to the side? My mistake... Maybe from other nick-nacks I had in my makeup kits such as the Chanel Poudre...finishing powder to my all time fave MakeUp Forever Mat Velvet +... It just got dismissed =) Anywho I absolutely love LOVE Philosophy: the supernatural airbrushed canvas!!! I'm not too fond of the packaging/sponge that it comes with -way too messy; I'm just more comfortable using a brush like the MAC182 or Sigma187 w/ it. Too each is own right?

The shade selection for this product are very limited & it's pretty expensive for the amount of you get. I wore it lightly over some Aveeno tinted moisturizer & I gotten flattering comments left & right @ Disneyland last week. So YAY to flawless skin with the help of Philosphy :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2011 9:21:00 AM More reviews by vim876

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I bought it a couple months ago, attempting to get a relatively nontoxic foundation, and now I'm not sure I can live without it. Within the first week of getting this, I got two compliments on my complexion. People thought I just had beautiful skin. In reality, this product has excellent coverage, and their lightest color almost perfectly matches my skin. So happy! The powder aspect is especially great for people like me, with oily, acne-prone skin. If this comes in a color close to your complexion, get some.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 9:05:00 AM More reviews by MoiBelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like that this powder delivers a good coverage and has spf 25. At first I also find the packaging very handy and easy to use but sometimes it is hard to see how much powder you get when using the sponge applicator, so what I do is I just used a brush to apply the product. I got this in bronze which is a tad dark for my NC40/42 skintone, but I still try to make it work by just applying a very light layer. Finish is not matte but a bit dewy which I like. I just think it is quite over priced as the container arrived not even half full even it was brand new, it was filled just like about 1/4 only. I thought perhaps this belongs to a batch that were filled unfinished or so... I still would like to try another color lighter than bronze, but hope I will get one that is full

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by sarahgorn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I've had this for a long time but recently dug it out of my endless drawer of foundations. I can't believe I ever quit using this! It gives really nice coverage with a satin finish and doesn't break me out. I don't bother with the silly sponge applicator--I use a kabuki brush instead. It looks like I have good skin, not good foundation. It controls oil pretty well on its own. I occasionally have to touch up halfway through the day but that's only if it's really humid outside. I'm ~NC20 and use this in Beige. It's actually too dark but when I bought this there weren't as many shades available as there are now. I just make sure to blend it into my hairline and neck really well so the shade still works. This is expensive but you get a ton of product and need very little to get good coverage so it lasts forever. I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by haley723

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like this powder a lot! I wear Makeup For Ever's Mat Velvet foundation which gives me a very good coverage, so I usually avoid full coverage foundations. I usually find with that liquid foundations that most powders just make it look cakey and awful. This one has the perfect amount of light to medium coverage to match the mattifying effects of the liquid foundation. The little sponge also helps to smooth it out. The only thing is that you can't tell sometimes how much you've put on, especially if you have an already matte liquid foundation, but it usually goes on very even.

And yes I use a matte liquid foundation AND a powder. Yay for extreme oiliness!
-sarcasm-