October 1, 2014 | 1779 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Burt's Bees - Shea Butter Hand Repair Creme [DISCONTINUED]

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2011 2:16:00 PM More reviews by alex1974

Smells awful. Unbearably stinky, which is too bad because it moisturizes really well!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2011 8:01:00 PM More reviews by MSFIT75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this lotion many years ago as a foot cream & fell in love. Talk about super soft! That was a long time ago but I'd definitely buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2011 1:23:00 PM More reviews by lolly2001

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There is no need to use something that smells this bad. Awful! I bought a little travel size of this and I'm so thankful that I didn't commit to the full size. I'm using it on my feet so I don't have to get a whiff of that medicine, moth ball, grandma's attic smell.

It works ok. But I won't be back because there are things that work just as well with a good or no scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2011 9:39:00 PM More reviews by calanthe

I have hated this stuff for years. My mom uses it religiously and when they stopped stocking it at the drug store she bought every tube she could find. It smells terrible, like turpentine and citronella. The tube is stupid. It's hard to rub in at first. It's kinda pricey. It's bright yellow and gets everywhere.

But then I got the worst case of cracked/dry skin/eczema/dermatitis/whathaveyou on my hands and tried everything. Prescription steroid creams, cortisone ointment, neosporin, vaseline, wearing cotton gloves at night, expensive baby eczema lotion, emu oil. NOTHING worked and most of it just irritated my hands even more. I have scaly bumpy red patches that itch like crazy and hurt when they're not itching. There are red, bloody cracks on my hands and they just overall look like death.

I had a tube of this stuff from my Mom that's been sitting in my medicine cabinet for, oh, two years. Today I was playing with my son, and the skin on my hands hurt/itched so much, I thought, what the heck? I smeared the yellow goo all over my hands. It didn't sting at all! Within two hours I noticed my hands didn't hurt anymore and only itched slightly. Now, eight hours later and my hands are significantly improved in texture and feel. At this rate, the rash and irritation that I've had for four months will be gone in a week. I am impressed!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by Lolak76

Burts's Bee's Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream: This hand cream has an impressive ingredient deck. Although its title implies it is a Shea Butter based hand cream, Shea butter isn't it's primary ingredient -- it's 7th in the ingredient deck. So, if you're looking for a hand cream that is primarily based in Shea butter, this probably isn't for you. That said, this product is definitely gets the job done in terms of moisturizing and protecting. It is thick with an almost whipped like consistency. It has a yellow butter like color and takes a few minutes to sink in. The scent is tough to take. It dissipates after a few minutes but not completely. I'm not sure if the scent is poor because of the way the ingredient scents interact with one another or if it is one scent that overpowers all the others. If they address the scent issue and make it more friendly to the nose, I think it could be one of the lines best sellers! I bought it locally for $12.99, but i have seen it cheaper online. As always it is 98% natural which is a big draw. A little goes a long way, so it will definitely last. If your sniffer & those around you can handle the initial hit of the herbal, spa like smell this is an amazing moisturizer. I would say for the price and all natural properties it is worth it give it a shot!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2011 7:57:00 AM More reviews by isenephthys

I purchased some tiny tubes of this creme 2 years ago as part of a party favor giftbag. Recently, I found a few leftover tubes. Surprisingly, the lotion has not degraded at all!

Yes, the smell is like a chemical lavender scent but it fades quickly. I'm a nurse, so I will try almost ANYTHING to help my soap-ravaged hands. This product moistens my skin quite well and absorbs in a reasonable amount of time. It's good stuff; give it a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by ketalady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this does have a somewhat medicinal odor, but the odor wears off. the tube had to be smushed up a bit before i could use it because the oils had separated. this product is effective and contains natural ingredients. i find artificial scents to be much more offensive than the scent of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 5:12:00 AM More reviews by pathvain1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product. Yes, it stinks, and it also leaves your hands feeling greasy or like the product isn't settling into the skin very well. I put it on before bed, cover my hands with gloves, and I have very soft skin when I wake up. It's worth it. I've always had dry hands and I have tried EVERYTHING to soften them, this is the only product that works for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by rsmuskie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It smells like hell, but alas, it works. And it works like nothing else out there when your hands are ready for the ER. I wish they could scent it with almond as in the almond milk hand cream (which I also use at night when hands are back in better shape and to keep them that way). I don't know if it's rosemary or oregano or whatever herb, but it smells medicinal and herbaly. Like a mixture of Lysol, rosemary, oregano and marijuana combined. If you can get over the scent, you'll be sporting deliciously smooth hands in less time than overnight. Really takes care of the roughness, carcking and redness. Maybe that's why it smells so medicinal??? My HG hand creams were Dr Hunter's Rosewater & Clarins Hand & Nail Treatment, and they are excellent, however, if you hands hurt crack and bleed abd are beyond chapped, this should be your go-to product for emergencies.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by barefootcassandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product 2 hours ago and already feel compelled to write a review.

You will read on the other reviews that it stinks. It does.
You will read that both looks and feels like butter. True, true.
But if you are looking for a really good smell then your lotion will be fragrance based, not healing essential oil base. And fragrances are known skin irritant and drying agents.

But it works! My poor hands needed this. I am a medical assistant and a make up artist, and so I wash my hands, and use hand sanitizer alot. And they suffer.

And this, in two hours has saved them. It does require some rubbing to get it to soak in to my skin, because it is an oil base, not water base. Also the smell lasts only about 5 minuets.

So if you are looking for deep and real healing for your hands, and don't care about the smell, I think this will help.

Update. It has lasted me a year, and i am almost ready to purchase again. I stand by my earlier sentiment that if you need real healing, this is for you. If you want to smell pretty this is not for you (but heavy fragrances have no place in all natural healing lotion).