July 23, 2014 | 1342 users online

Bath Treatments - LUSH - Big Blue Bath Bomb

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2012 8:09:00 AM More reviews by amswtr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Big Blue is a bath bomb with salt and dried seaweed inside. I saw a lot of reviews on youtube that described the smell as a ocean scent. It has a clean smell but also a little medicinal scent as well. It's not unpleasant. It's a huge bath bomb. I liked that it turned the bathwater a deep blue shade. I wasn't crazy about all the flecks of seaweed but it rinsed down the drain easily. It didn't leave a lot of mess. I had to rinse off after the bath to make sure I didn't have any seaweed in my who-ha. I'm a nurse and work 12 hour shifts and my muscles get so sore and tired. After soaking in big blue for an hour, I felt less sore and I was able to relax, it has a nice calming scent to it. I agree with other reviewers, it doesn't moisturize the skin like some other Lush bath bombs but you could always add in a bath melt to help with that. Overall, it's not my favorite Lush bath bomb but it felt great with my sore muscles so I would repurchase for that reason and add in a "you got mangoed" bath melt to help my skin soft.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/3/2012 10:59:00 AM More reviews by PNyako

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this bath bomb on a trip to Atlanta. I have never used LUSH products before but this was my first experience and I was excited. First off, I will say that LUSH is a very innovative line of bath and body products. The LUSH reps are annoying as hell, running behind you every minute attempting to slather something on your face or hands pushing products on you left and right. However, I did make the decision to buy one bath bomb which I intended to use with my hubby. That was this one.

Big Blue has a crisp clean smell. Its not a perfumy scent, its one more comparable to that of some form of nicely fragrant cleaning product, one that is albeit comforting, again not necessarily something you would ideally want to smell like after bathing. Think of it this way, I personally have a fondness for the smell of lemon wood polish. It's comforting and clean crisp smelling. Even somewhat pleasant....but I wouldnt want to smell like it. I'm not in anyway saying that this stuff smells like Pledge, but you understand what I mean. Clean and crisp smell, but not "Hmm I sure would want to smell that on my body" good. What I found offensive was the fact that after the bath bomb had completely dissolved, I got a few wiffs of the seaweed which lingered in the bath room. Wasnt pleased with the smell overall as the scent got stronger.

This bath Bomb also to my surprise, a lot, and I mean a LOT of little pieces of dried seaweed EVERYWHERE. It was absolutely ridiculous. They offered no moisturizing element, in fact before the bath bomb completely dissolved there were several sticking straight out of the bomb and were surprisingly very spikey to the touch. These things are black and are about the size in length as the tip of my finger. The bath bomb in of itself was not very moisturizing, and when we got out not only was the tub full of these things and was an agony to completely clean out, but the seaweed pieces were all on my back and in my hair.

A lot of people were impressed with the aqua color that it made the water. Not I. I can purchase children's fizzing bath tabs that will make a deeper more impressive blue color, for LESS money and WITHOUT the huge sea monster mess. I would recommend avoiding this bathroom nightmare at all cost. Not worth it.

Also, and maybe this is just me, but when I purchased the bath bomb, I was a little put off by the fact that the product was packaged in literally NOTHING. I picked the bath bomb off of the shelf to make my purchase, but apparently LUSH doesn't sell their bath bombs in any form of container for storage. No box. No paper. No ingredient listing on the product anywhere. Nothing. The bomb was placed in a little LUSH plastic bag which was of course inconvenient for the ride back home. I had to keep this product safely in my sisters arms all the way back for fear it would break in transit.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2012 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Lovemenappy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first LUSH bathbmb and I wasmt impressed. The smell is nice and clean I suppose, not overly masculine or feminine. The color that the water turned was pretty, however the seaweed spikes/sticks in this completely through off the experience. As someone else said, it's AMAZING how many of these things are in one bath bomb. Like seriously? They serve no real purpose. They could have added seaweed extract...not these sticks. They hurt when they stick you and they are literally everywhere, and clean up was a severe pain in the ass. I will try other bath bombs from LUSH, but I would definitely pass on this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2012 3:01:00 AM More reviews by loraanne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have always wanted to try this bath bomb and finally bought it. It has a nice clean, refreshing scent. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, but the scent isn't as strong as some as LUSH's other bath products. This bath bomb fizzes fast. It turns the water from clear and colorless a nice ocean blue color. The seaweed is a nice touch. It is very soft on your skin, but cleanup can be a hassle.

I would buy this again, but I would probably do without the seaweed. I've seen people put their's in one of those tea ball strainers and the seaweed stays in there. I really want to try this out with the Sunnyside Bubble Bar, and create the infamous "mermaid water"!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by jj192

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this bath ballistic and pretty much all of LUSH's bath products. It turns the water blue and smells divine, very relaxing. I disagree with some other reviews about the seaweed, I think real seaweed its pretty cool and it's good for your skin. It's a real treat to have a LUSH bath.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 7:35:00 AM More reviews by daffydill

It's big, it's blue and it's from Lush, so what's not to love? I have been meaning to try the Big Blue for a little while now after a couple of lovely Lush sales assistants recommend I try it for a relaxing summer bath. It is my last bath at home before I move out, so I figured it had to be a Lush one! Stepping away from my usual vanilla and tonka bean comfort zone, I took the plunge, excuse the pun to try this seaweed enriched ballistic.

The Appearance
This ballistic is a biggie from Lush, a whole 200 grams of it making it similar to the size of a hockey ball; this satisfied the slightly greedy person in me. The ballistic itself is a lovely bright cyan shade with areas of white running through, the dried seaweed can also be seen sticking out of the sides.
Let The Ballistic See The Bath
Dropping the ballistic in the bath it quickly started to fizz, and when I mean quick, we're talking blink and you miss it. It certainly took less than three minutes, as I had the radio one and this ballistic had burned out well before the end of the song playing. As the ballistic floated on the top it was fascinating to watch the bath water slowly turn into a clear, and very bright turquoise, permeated with little black bits (the seaweed) that soon sunk to the bottom of the bath. Suddenly I was transported to some Mediterranean rock pool with a fresh sea air blowing, well that might have been the draught!

The colour makes this a very relaxing and refreshing bath, the seaweed that softens as it floats to the bottom do help you give the impression that you are in your own private lagoon. The bits of seaweed themselves are each an inch or so long, and you seem to get a lot of them in this ballistic, they are not uncomfortable to lie in. I also find this ballistic quite soothing and non-irritable, I got into the bath last night with a heat rash on my thigh, which felt considerably less itchy and hot whilst in the bath.
What makes up the scent?
Answer: Seaweed, seaweed and more seaweed. Lush says that this ballistic is made up of four components for a relaxing bath: seaweed, sea salt, lemon and lavender oils.

* Seaweed - To be honest this is the only component of the above four I can actually smell. Seaweed is full of those antioxidants which no cosmetic company seems to tell us how they work, but apparently they make our skin radiant. Sea vegetables such as seaweed are also packed full of vitamins, such as vitamins A and C, aiding collagen production; collagen is a protein we lose as we age resulting in skin sagging and wrinkles. My skin did certainly feel a little softer after a bath, but not to the extent of other milk baths and baths rich in various plant butters that Lush also produces. Apparently this wonder ingredient will also help draw out toxins from our skin, as well as increasing circulation to the skin, for an overall healthy glow.
* Sea salt - This contains a number of elements that aren't just sodium and chloride that are proven to be beneficial to the body. Magnesium prevents skin aging and prevents fluid retention. The calcium present should not only strengthen nails but further reduce fluid retention. Potassium and bromides both ease muscle stiffness. Sea salt is also supposed to be particularly beneficial to those with osteoarthritis. I may not be a world athlete or a sufferer of arthritis but I do work nine hours a day on my feet in a shop, and my muscles certainly felt relaxed, even if I didn't look ten years younger. There was a fresh scent to this ballistic, even though it wasn't overly noticeable I wonder if this was some of the sea salt coming through.

* Lavender Oil - Another wonder product, it is antiseptic and antifungal, it is also added to chamomile to help provide relief from skin irritation. It is obviously used for its relaxing scent as it is known to help induce sleep. I didn't fall asleep in my bath, but my inflamed skin did feel soothed, and I felt more relaxed generally. The lavender is certainly dominated by the seaweed, even though I couldn't smell it, I could detect its relaxing presence.
* Lemon Oil - Another insomnia beater! The lemon oil in this product did help me feel as if my batteries had been recharged. It is also used in cosmetics to improve the radiance of dull skin, and for its soothing properties of inflamed skin. Lemon is not a dominant note, however the ballistic definitely does smell a bit like, dare I say it, household cleaning products, so it certainly adds a little of that citrus freshness.

Is this my favourite scent? No, but if you like fresh scents this ballistic does it well, even if it does have a cleaning product tinge. The scent on my skin sadly didn't last more than an hour, but the scent in the room was definitely still there the next day. It is certainly a lovely clean and refreshing scent that I think could be enjoyed by both men and women alike.

===How my skin felt after?===

My skin feels cleansed, soothed and refreshed. This is the cleanest I have ever felt after using a Lush ballistic, and although I didn't find the product awfully moisturising, it certainly didn't dry it out, so I did top up with a little bit of body lotion. Although I think I need tips of a body lotion to go with this one, I have a lot of shea and cocoa butter based scents, however I think something more refreshing and soothing which was aloe vera and cucumber scented may work better. I did manage to find a body spray that layers brilliantly with this product and it is a bargain at 2.03 from Boot's Natural Collection in the scent Samphire and Sea Minerals.
A Cautionary Note
Watch when getting in and out of the bath with this ballistic and other Lush products, I find the water becomes more slippy compared to the normal bubble bath I would purchase in the supermarket. This can mean getting into the bath is a little treacherous, so I would plan your exit route carefully.

As far as cleaning goes, this brightly coloured product doesn't sta

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2011 10:08:00 AM More reviews by bootmunchie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Yuck. The seaweed looks like black worms. And cleaning up their remains after bath is over defeats the idea of relaxing

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2011 6:34:00 AM More reviews by kbur084

The smell isnt nearly as strong as i thought it would be so it was a bit of a let down, i bought it thinking that because it was called "the mind clearing one" (or so i remember) it would be a strong fresh fragrance like avobath.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2011 6:13:00 PM More reviews by shimmeringstarfish

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the smell of this and the color it made when it fizzed in the bath water. I paired this with sunnyside bubblebar and it was the most gorgeous bath i had ever seen...except for the fact that it had a TON of seaweed in it. I spent 30-45 minutes afterwards trying to get all the seaweed out of the tub so not that much would go down the drain and clog it up. I loved this bath bomb, but just make sure your ready for the mess afterwards. Maybe it in a strainer or nylon before.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Catarah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Bought this on a whim and I really love Big Blue. I love the experience it gives me. Everything from the smell to the seaweed in it...I adore. Leaves your water a beautiful blue color. It reminds me of bathing in a fragrant ocean that leaves my skin nice and soft and completely eases my mind after a stressful day.This to me is my favorite bath bomb to relax. It does make a your tub a lil messy but I don't mind, after my bath I just scoop up the seaweed and throw them out. It also doesn't leave a greasy residue in your tub like some LUSH bombs do. Can't wait to buy this again!