April 24, 2014 | 1379 users online

Bath Treatments - LUSH - Big Blue Bath Bomb

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by jj192

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this bath ballistic and pretty much all of LUSH's bath products. It turns the water blue and smells divine, very relaxing. I disagree with some other reviews about the seaweed, I think real seaweed its pretty cool and it's good for your skin. It's a real treat to have a LUSH bath.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 7:35:00 AM More reviews by daffydill

It's big, it's blue and it's from Lush, so what's not to love? I have been meaning to try the Big Blue for a little while now after a couple of lovely Lush sales assistants recommend I try it for a relaxing summer bath. It is my last bath at home before I move out, so I figured it had to be a Lush one! Stepping away from my usual vanilla and tonka bean comfort zone, I took the plunge, excuse the pun to try this seaweed enriched ballistic.

The Appearance
This ballistic is a biggie from Lush, a whole 200 grams of it making it similar to the size of a hockey ball; this satisfied the slightly greedy person in me. The ballistic itself is a lovely bright cyan shade with areas of white running through, the dried seaweed can also be seen sticking out of the sides.
Let The Ballistic See The Bath
Dropping the ballistic in the bath it quickly started to fizz, and when I mean quick, we're talking blink and you miss it. It certainly took less than three minutes, as I had the radio one and this ballistic had burned out well before the end of the song playing. As the ballistic floated on the top it was fascinating to watch the bath water slowly turn into a clear, and very bright turquoise, permeated with little black bits (the seaweed) that soon sunk to the bottom of the bath. Suddenly I was transported to some Mediterranean rock pool with a fresh sea air blowing, well that might have been the draught!

The colour makes this a very relaxing and refreshing bath, the seaweed that softens as it floats to the bottom do help you give the impression that you are in your own private lagoon. The bits of seaweed themselves are each an inch or so long, and you seem to get a lot of them in this ballistic, they are not uncomfortable to lie in. I also find this ballistic quite soothing and non-irritable, I got into the bath last night with a heat rash on my thigh, which felt considerably less itchy and hot whilst in the bath.
What makes up the scent?
Answer: Seaweed, seaweed and more seaweed. Lush says that this ballistic is made up of four components for a relaxing bath: seaweed, sea salt, lemon and lavender oils.

* Seaweed - To be honest this is the only component of the above four I can actually smell. Seaweed is full of those antioxidants which no cosmetic company seems to tell us how they work, but apparently they make our skin radiant. Sea vegetables such as seaweed are also packed full of vitamins, such as vitamins A and C, aiding collagen production; collagen is a protein we lose as we age resulting in skin sagging and wrinkles. My skin did certainly feel a little softer after a bath, but not to the extent of other milk baths and baths rich in various plant butters that Lush also produces. Apparently this wonder ingredient will also help draw out toxins from our skin, as well as increasing circulation to the skin, for an overall healthy glow.
* Sea salt - This contains a number of elements that aren't just sodium and chloride that are proven to be beneficial to the body. Magnesium prevents skin aging and prevents fluid retention. The calcium present should not only strengthen nails but further reduce fluid retention. Potassium and bromides both ease muscle stiffness. Sea salt is also supposed to be particularly beneficial to those with osteoarthritis. I may not be a world athlete or a sufferer of arthritis but I do work nine hours a day on my feet in a shop, and my muscles certainly felt relaxed, even if I didn't look ten years younger. There was a fresh scent to this ballistic, even though it wasn't overly noticeable I wonder if this was some of the sea salt coming through.

* Lavender Oil - Another wonder product, it is antiseptic and antifungal, it is also added to chamomile to help provide relief from skin irritation. It is obviously used for its relaxing scent as it is known to help induce sleep. I didn't fall asleep in my bath, but my inflamed skin did feel soothed, and I felt more relaxed generally. The lavender is certainly dominated by the seaweed, even though I couldn't smell it, I could detect its relaxing presence.
* Lemon Oil - Another insomnia beater! The lemon oil in this product did help me feel as if my batteries had been recharged. It is also used in cosmetics to improve the radiance of dull skin, and for its soothing properties of inflamed skin. Lemon is not a dominant note, however the ballistic definitely does smell a bit like, dare I say it, household cleaning products, so it certainly adds a little of that citrus freshness.

Is this my favourite scent? No, but if you like fresh scents this ballistic does it well, even if it does have a cleaning product tinge. The scent on my skin sadly didn't last more than an hour, but the scent in the room was definitely still there the next day. It is certainly a lovely clean and refreshing scent that I think could be enjoyed by both men and women alike.

===How my skin felt after?===

My skin feels cleansed, soothed and refreshed. This is the cleanest I have ever felt after using a Lush ballistic, and although I didn't find the product awfully moisturising, it certainly didn't dry it out, so I did top up with a little bit of body lotion. Although I think I need tips of a body lotion to go with this one, I have a lot of shea and cocoa butter based scents, however I think something more refreshing and soothing which was aloe vera and cucumber scented may work better. I did manage to find a body spray that layers brilliantly with this product and it is a bargain at 2.03 from Boot's Natural Collection in the scent Samphire and Sea Minerals.
A Cautionary Note
Watch when getting in and out of the bath with this ballistic and other Lush products, I find the water becomes more slippy compared to the normal bubble bath I would purchase in the supermarket. This can mean getting into the bath is a little treacherous, so I would plan your exit route carefully.

As far as cleaning goes, this brightly coloured product doesn't sta

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2011 10:08:00 AM More reviews by bootmunchie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Yuck. The seaweed looks like black worms. And cleaning up their remains after bath is over defeats the idea of relaxing

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2011 6:34:00 AM More reviews by kbur084

The smell isnt nearly as strong as i thought it would be so it was a bit of a let down, i bought it thinking that because it was called "the mind clearing one" (or so i remember) it would be a strong fresh fragrance like avobath.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2011 6:13:00 PM More reviews by shimmeringstarfish

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the smell of this and the color it made when it fizzed in the bath water. I paired this with sunnyside bubblebar and it was the most gorgeous bath i had ever seen...except for the fact that it had a TON of seaweed in it. I spent 30-45 minutes afterwards trying to get all the seaweed out of the tub so not that much would go down the drain and clog it up. I loved this bath bomb, but just make sure your ready for the mess afterwards. Maybe it in a strainer or nylon before.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Catarah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Bought this on a whim and I really love Big Blue. I love the experience it gives me. Everything from the smell to the seaweed in it...I adore. Leaves your water a beautiful blue color. It reminds me of bathing in a fragrant ocean that leaves my skin nice and soft and completely eases my mind after a stressful day.This to me is my favorite bath bomb to relax. It does make a your tub a lil messy but I don't mind, after my bath I just scoop up the seaweed and throw them out. It also doesn't leave a greasy residue in your tub like some LUSH bombs do. Can't wait to buy this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by rainbowrivulets

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this was my first lush bath bomb
I really loved this. I smelled.. clean afterwards. My skin was not stripped of its oils.
I understand the hate for the seaweed and I think i could do with or without it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

It smells amazing (even after bath in bathroom) provides so beautiful blue water. It doesnt leave skin dry which is big plus. Very relaxing one and definitely one of my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by albs

The smell of this bath bomb is so incredibly relaxing. The water turns the most beautiful blue colour and it makes for a very nice bath. I admit that I find the seaweed a little weird so sometimes I put the bomb in an old knee-high stocking.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2011 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Kat_rocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Turns the water a beautiful blue.
Smells like the ocean.
Contains Sea Salt and Seaweed.
I like the seaweed, it makes for an interesting experience and plus its amazing for your skin.
A little bit of clean up after using one, but who cares if it makes you feel like a million miles away at the beach.