July 30, 2014 | 1976 users online

Lotions/ Creams - L'Occitane - 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by makeupxo

Absolutely love this hand cream. I have no idea what previous reviews are taking about because the smell is so nice. The cream itself is very thick but absorbs into your skin so fast. It is very moisturizing and makes my hands glow. The price is a bit on the expensive side but all L'occitane products are fair trade and use no harmful chemicals, everything is natural. This is an amazing product and i will repurchase, but the big size tube lasts so long i wont need to for a while!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I agree with the previous reviews that state this cream is overpriced and the scent is hard to stand. Luckily, I bought a small size to try out per a recommendation of a classmate. I will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 11:38:00 AM More reviews by shi1

I have been a loyal Crabtree & Evelyn hand cream user for years, but I've heard loads about the L'Occitane ones. Some have told me that L'Occitane is even better than C&E hand creams and now that I've had the chance to try them, here are my thoughts.

The cream itself is nice. It has a thick consistency, and it has a lovely silky finish. It is thicker than C&E, and the results are pretty similar in terms of how moisturizing it is. It relieves any flaky dryness, and like the C&E, I never suffer from hangnails. It doesn't leave a greasy finish.

HOWEVER, the scent is really really strong. I have this in the original scent, as well as two holiday scents and they are all strongly fragranced. So much so, that I have given them away. I work in an office at a desk, and when I wear this the scent drives my nose crazy.

In conclusion, its a really nice cream but unfortunately the scent is just too strong to tolerate. If you can find a scent that you like, or if you like strong fragraces then give it a go!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2014 8:47:00 PM More reviews by anpage

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is an incredibly rich and creamy hand lotion, perfect for those days when your hands are so dry, they are either cracking, peeling, flaking, etc. This soothes and smooths almost immediately. I don't really care for the shea scent on this one, but I deal with it because the lotion really does the trick when your hands need it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by coffeeandcream

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is very moisturizing, however the overpowering fragrance and high pricetag is a turnoff. The scent reminds me of some sort of baby powder product. It's a shame because this did a really nice job at moisturizing my dry winter hands and cuticles.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 4:36:00 AM More reviews by lissa2m

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I buy this for my mum (age 69) and she loves it. Shes been using this for 8 months already. It makes her hand smooth and reduces her wrinkles. Shes now on her second tube.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/14/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by EM65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really don't understand the hype around this product. First off, the moisturizing effects do not last through multiple handwashings. The moisturization itself is not that great. In fact, my hands tend to feel drier, especially in the morning after putting it on before going to bed. There are so many better hand lotions out there for a lot less $.

Secondly, the smell! Like strong baby powder. I had a tube in my gym bag and happened to put it on right before my boot camp class. Bad mistake. When my face was close to my hands (pushups, burpees), I felt nauseated from the smell. I will use up but will not repurchase. Too bad, I was so excited to try this brand. Hopefully the rest of the L'Occitane products that came in my "value set" are better.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently went through a sample of the 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream that I had acquired during a grand opening. This winter has been colder than usual, and as a result my already dry hands, arms, and legs have become even more parched, so I used up the 3mL sachet all over my body.

I'm extremely impressed with the formula. It absorbed quickly, leaving my skin soft, but not greasy. I especially love what it did for my hands--normally I need quite a large blob of product, especially for my eczema patches, but with this a little went a long way.

The only thing?

The smell.

I generally don't let scents get in the way of liking a product, but the smell of this reminds me of baby toiletries. Even though I finished the sample, right after I had the urge to spray myself with perfume to cover up the baby lotion smell.

I'll have to try L'Occitane's other hand creams, but I heard that the others aren't as moisturizing, which I am inclined to believe due to differing ingredient lists--in fact I recall trying the almond milk cream and loving the scent but not being satisfied with its more watery texture. It seemed that most of the scent faded quickly, though, so I'll have to test the shea butter cream again in store, but if others can smell it on my hands from afar, I'll have to pass up on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by cron

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I got this as a sample and loved it from the very first application. It's very moisturising but not oily, it sinks in very quickly. I even use it at work and I can go back to using my keyboard in about three minutes. I also love the smell, like a classic, clean smelling soap. Not overly perfumed, sweet nasty soap. I have not even considered looking at other hand creams since discovering this one!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 7:07:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using L'Occitane's 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream for 13 years, and back then a tube cost $16, now it is $28. That said, I have tried many other creams in the meantime in an attempt to find a replacement that I equally like at a lower cost, but no such luck. Couvent de Minimes' Honey Shea hand cream came very close (and Couvent de Minimes even turned out to be a subdivision of L'Occitane!), and I liked it because BBW carried it so it was conveniently available, but after a year BBW discontinued the line. Back to L'Occitane it was. What I appreciate most about this formula is its richness to soothe my very dry hands, and yet it leaves my hands soft but not sticky or greasy. Also, when washing my hands it does not give me the slippery feel that glycerin hand creams give me and that I truly detest. I am not a fan at all of the metal tube packaging. While it may appeal to some because of its "authentic, old-time" look, I find the little navy screwtop lid is not very practical and silver metal tube itself starts to look wrinkly and unsightly fairly rapidly. When flattening the tube it occasionally tears at the edges and the cream comes oozing out, not a good thing and I hate wasting any of this expensive product. But alas, the subpar packaging will not prevent me from repurchasing, even at this high price.