December 19, 2014 | 1487 users online

Powder - Givenchy - Matissime Absolute Matte Finish Powder Foundation SPF 20

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2008 4:52:00 AM More reviews by exoticorchid

I do love this item, although I use it over liquid foundation because I am too scared to use it alone, particularly with my combination skin I've always found powders alone too drying. However the way I use it works so well for me, the amazingly fine powder glides on, controls shine and minimises the visibility of my pores. The compact itself is lovely, very cute.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2008 8:23:00 PM More reviews by alysia56

This comment is actually for the new Givenchy Matissime Absolute Matte Finish Powder Foundation, but as that product was not available, I figure the MatteMate was the next closest thing. What to say? I began a quest a few months ago to replace my MAC Studio Fix powder foundation, as it apparently was not made for extended daily wear. I experienced melting by about 11:00 each day, which is not acceptable when trying to put in a full work day. I tried the NARS foundation powder and the Laura Mercier powder and was unhappy with each for different reasons. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and have oily skin to boot, so put those together and I NEED something that at least help to keep the oilies down. I don't expect miracles, but something that can get me past 11:00 would be nice. So I stumbled upon this, and the description blew me away: "Makeup's return to sophistication places emphasis on a matte complexion. Unlike other formulations, however, this incarnation won't exaggerate fine lines, and never leaves skin looking dull and dry. Instead, its unique air-filled microspheres help minimize the appearance of pores and wrinkles, while astringent extracts help absorb sebum and control shine. The stay-true color pigments provide a velvety finish to the face."

So I figured, "Heck, yes!" The problem was, there's apparently only one place in the state of AZ that currently carries Givenchy cosmetics, so I had quite a drive before I'd even be granted the opportunity to fork over my $42.

I wish I never had.

The coverage was sheer-to-light, if anything. I'm surprised they could get away with putting "foundation" in the name. Pressed powder, maybe, but foundation (as far as I define it, anyway) this ain't. Not only that, but I was touching up above my upper lip, around my nose and on my chin by 10:00. Not only that, but when my husband picked me up for lunch at 11:30, I required further touching up. I arrived home from work at 4:30 today and had to COMPLETELY redo my face before going out again. That's how bad it was. The powder was melting off worse than I had ever experienced with the Studio Fix. I would have been willing to sacrifice the extra coverage for a little bit of staying power, but I was left beyond disppointed in both regards.

I will say the compact is EXTREMELY cute, and I'd almost keep it just to fill it with my NARS. Yes, I'm going back to the NARS. I wasn't thrilled with it, but it's been the best of anything I've found yet on my quest, and after this disappointment, I'd prefer not to experiment any further.

Honestly, I don't think this would warrant $22 (USD), let alone $42. I don't know who the chemists making these magical formulations are, but I would highly recommend they do some testing on someone like me before the advertisers and marketing folk go touting the shine-controlling, matte-keeping powers of the stuff.

I'm ready to cry. Seriously, that's how bad it was. The only reason I gave Matissime 2 stars instead of 1 is because I did not notice an oxidizing / color change throughout the day. As shiny and disgustingly greasy as I got, there was no "orangeyness" to speak of, which is a plus over others I've tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2007 5:59:00 PM More reviews by nellysss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

makes skin look natural, makes my oily skin mate, and makes my acnes unvisible and applying it very easy, its not seeming at my face like a mask... shortly ıts the best foundation ı have ever used... ıf you have so more problem ıam using it with base and

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2007 10:59:00 AM More reviews by claudiambdmelo

I bought this foundation on Mat Nut as a lighter option to my NC 42 skin.
Liked more than Studio Fix.
It stays natural but with some coverage.
And the package is gorgeous! Although it's quite small for the price. It's worthy, because Givenchy makes great products.

Certainly repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2006 7:08:00 AM More reviews by andreat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I will probably write an update about this product, because I have been using it for only 3 hours now. This is the first time in my life I use a powder foundation. I decided to give it a try because it's summer here now, and my skin gets oily and shiny on the t-zone. I don't even know if I applied it correctly. At least, I see no patches or streaks. Anyway, I prefer applying liquid foundation.
It feels very light on the skin, like nothing at all. I just don't know how long it will last on my face. Just checked in the mirror and it still seems to be there...
I'm a NW20 and have this product in #01 Mat Sugar. It seems to be just right. It looked a bit pinky when I started to apply it, but it blended well later.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna buy it again, since I intend to find out if I'll really adapt to powder foundation. As for the SPF20, I don't think I applied enough to give me any sun protection...
In brief: light and fine powder, beautiful packaging, nice shade, a little pricey.
UPDATE: By the end of the day, 6pm, i still looked VERY good in MatMate and without retouching. My nose was a tiny bit shiny, but much less than when I use normal foundations. And Benefit's Dandelion was also put the whole day! I'll add a lippie for the endurance and less shine.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2006 3:36:00 AM More reviews by NURTEN

matmate powder foundation is powder,i have pale skin tone,i wear matmate cappucino color like a bronzer,in winter ,i will buy light color

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2006 4:01:00 PM More reviews by rsm1309

I've been using this product virtually since it was launched and have regrettebly found that despite early promise it's very far from the the best formula of it's type. Coverage is good but the powder is incredibly drying - more so than any other powder foundation I've ever tried. After the best part of two years I now have very flaky dry skin on my chin. Considering my skin has always tended toward oily this is quite a feat! The colours are very hit and miss - Rose is fine but the next shades up - Ginger and Honey - are pretty orange. Added to which, I'm constantly being told by shop asistants that colours have been discontinued only for them to confusingly reappear weeks later. The packaging is truly gorgeous - the nicest of any powder foundation by an absolute mile, and this is probably why I've foolishly carried on purchasing this product long after my skin has taken a turn for the worse - but not any more!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2005 2:51:00 AM More reviews by LiNgCiOuS

Nice cute packaging! bought this during a sale, however the quality sucked, it has no staying power though it provided medium coverage. It also oxidises a shade darker, touching up was also difficult as the color did not match to when u first put it on, it is also reflective so this would not suit someone with oily skin, since u'll look oilier.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2005 6:50:00 AM More reviews by jvyoung

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in Mat Sugar, and as I have oily skin I've tried lots of foundation powders--this one is the absolute best--it glides on and really does cover well. The package is gorgeous, but the one I have chipped in two places, so be careful with it. I wish it came in a slightly larger size as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2005 5:09:00 AM More reviews by rosie6682

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a wonderful powder foundation.
Very good design!!
It glides on smoothly.
I have very oily skin, and of course, this still doesn't last as long as the Make Up For Ever loose powder.
But it is the best powder foundation I've ever tried so far.
I have sensitive skin and so far I still haven't get a reaction from it (I am allergic to MAC foundation and powder).
I will buy this again for sure :)