Alba Botanica Sea Plus Renewal Night Cream

3.8

Not tested on animals

Ingredients Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, glyceryl stearate SE, vegetable glycerin, aleurites moluccana seed oil, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, sorbitan stearate, stearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, mangifera indica (mango) seed butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, sorbitol, certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, stearic acid, squalane, sodium PCA, allantoin, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, polysorbate 20, extracts of spirulina maxima (algae), ulva lactuca (sea lettuce), laminaria digitata (kelp), chondrus crispus (irish moss) and macrocystis pyrifera (kelp), citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit, cucumis sativus (cucumber) seed, arnica montana flower, anacyclus pyrethrum root and camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extracts, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C), phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, potassium sorbate, sodium hyaluronate and fragrance (parfum).5/23/09

on 2/2/2013 2:07:00 AM

Very thick and moisturizing but I have to agree with another reviewer that this "smells like laundry detergent". After using it for 2 weeks, I had to stop because the smell was just too strong. :-(

I spent a good deal of time looking for a suitable night cream, and I finally settled on trying this one - not extravagantly expensive (I think I paid $21), "natural" product without too many nasties (or so I had hoped - the Good Guide seems to think otherwise, but I'm not sure I buy their rating. For this reason, I might go on the search again once I finish this container.), and solid moisturizing properties.

While this cream's primary claim is uneven tone reduction, I purchased this more as an all around night-cream. I rely on my Arbonne RE9 Serum for anti-aging properties.

Pros: moisturizes adequately - much better than any other moisturizers and night creams I have tried, including my Clinique Moisture Surge. I previously had tried Neutrogena's natural night cream, which I think would be OK for summer, but it's just not enough during the winter. This one does a much better job in dry weather.

Added bonus - I got dry patches on my hands that wouldn't go away with regular creams - a few dabs of this at night, and I had soft, healed hands the next day.

Cons: The texture is a bit sticky - you can't just glide it on your skin. However, I've found that if you apply it right after washing and/or pat it on, it's fine. Also, if I apply this over my Arbonne vitamin C serum (RE9), it can sometimes pill up and flake off. However, I've noticed if I let the serum sink in a little longer, this is minimal, and the patting method helps as well. I've found this cream can sometimes make vapors that stings my eyes, but I think this is only an issue when they're already irritated or dry.

I am pretty sensitive to "smelly" creams, and I have to say I find the light fragrance appealing and not too obtrusive. However, if it came in unscented (which, maybe it does), I would prefer that.

I won't comment on packaging, as everyone has their preference - personally, I like to use every last drop, so the pot is a plus, although not great for travel.

on 12/14/2012 12:06:00 AM

The one thing this claims to do - reduce discoloration after 2 weeks - did not happen for me. The dark/age spots are still there at the end of the jar. However this is a nice natural cruelty-free moisturizer from a reliable company and worth a try. I used it both morning and night - it isn't so greasy you can't put on makeup after. But not so great that I noticed any textural or other improvements.

I am surprised people didn't like the scent: I found it pleasant, not perfumey.

I'm marking it down mainly for not working as hoped and marking it as a "not buy again" because since that didn't happen, there are probably other moisturizers that achieve the same basic purpose.

on 1/19/2012 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have very, very touchy (sensitive, combination, dries out easily) skin and am still getting breakouts in my late 20s, so it's a challenge to find skincare products that don't exacerbate my acne. I've generally had very good luck with alba botanica's stuff, and have been using this regularly at night. It is heavy, but it soaks in well and my skin is smoother and brighter on mornings after I've used it. I can't say it makes my acne any better, but it doesn't irritate my skin at all. I'll definitely repurchase. My only quibble is I don't like the tub-- it would be nice to have a squeeze or pump bottle.

on 11/2/2011 12:44:00 AM

My skin is combination, with some pgimentation issues and the beginnings of lines and sagging on the cheeks. Personally I hated the smell and the very greasy consistency. Also I couldn't really get it to sink into my skin, no matter how little of it I use. I can't attest to its effectiveness because I didn't use it long enough to say.

on 11/1/2011 7:56:00 PM

I can't attest for this product's claim to even skin tone, I failed to notice a difference and have been using this for a few months now. Despite that, this is a lovely night time moisturizer. Takes a bit to seep into skin so I never put it on just before hitting the hay else it'll get on pillow. It has a light scent to it, I'm unsure how to describe, but it is pleasant. Hubby likes the way my face smells afterwards too lol. The formula is a bit thick but not overly so that it's pain to apply, my skin feels so nice after this soaks in and it helps keep me moisturized even during times I have to use a spot acne treatment (which crazy dry patches up my skin). And dry flakiness that occurs by nose is no more even since using this cream. =] I really like it and would re-purchase, however I may try a few more creams when this finishes up just to see.

on 10/30/2011 1:24:00 AM

I really like this product. It sinks in nicely leaving my skin soft with no residue. I like the scent, but it's probably not for everyone. It has a kind of refreshing herbal-oceany smell which doesn't linger very long after application. I bought this product because of the many natural ingredients and the DMAE. I've used it for about three months, but sparingly, and it doesn't seem to break me out or irritate my skin, but since my skin is very breakout prone, I can't say for sure it hasn't. I don't know yet if the DMAE is working to firm my skin, but keeping my fingers crossed. Wish it didn't come in an open jar, but it's fairly thick (but emulsifies easily) so a pump probably wouldn't work. I just use a clean swab to dip into it. Price is great, I think mine was about $8.99 at CVS. I did notice a new batch on the shelves without the DMAE in it, so not sure if they've changed the formulation. I hope not. Also looking forward to trying the Natural Acnedote Deep Cleaning Astringent which has good reviews here.

on 10/1/2011 11:53:00 AM

I replaced my Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream with this, and very happy with it. After about 10 days, skin looking a bit less red, and I even think broken caps less noticeable. And it's doing good things for my lips, which are softer and healthier. It costs about 1/4 the price of the Clinique so well worth purchasing again.

on 9/14/2011 12:10:00 AM

PROS: Is supposed to stimulate cell regeneration to help correct uneven tone, and I've seen a difference in my age spots. No cones, yay (so no clogging of pores)! Good moisture for my very dry days. Doesn't bother my rosacea/sensitive skin near as much as most products that will lighten my age spots/discoloration.(see cons for "edit"). Natural ingredients.

CONS: May be a con for some that it leaves a feeling of stickiness and "moisture" residue, but if it's sealing in the moisture that it does, it's great for me when my skin is very dry. The fragrance reminds me of the ocean in a good way, but I wish it was a bit milder since I'm putting it on before I go to sleep. It's quite a strong fragrance. Some won't like that it comes in a jar, but I just make sure my hands are clean before applying. ******EDIT: Ended up bothering my rosacea too much.

ALTERNATES: They have a daily cream that is not so heavy. For something a bit lighter than this, Devita's Evening Rich Nutritional Moisturizer with Tripeptide- 5. My new fave for very moisturizing while not clogging me AT ALL is Aveeno - Positively Nourishing Comforting Whipped Souffle, which is actually made for the body, but I love it for my face.

on 7/15/2011 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wanted to love this product because it's chock full of nutrients but it just doesn't sink into my skin. I've been using this as a night cream for a few months and each morning I wake up and wash my face and I'm basically washing off a slippery film. I think it was also causing my skin to become dehydrated because it wasn't absorbing and therefore causing me to become oily throughout the day.
I do not like the tub packaging. The smell wasn't really overpowering but nothing fantastic.
Using this in conjunction with the cleanser, toner and daily cream I did experience an evening of skin tone however I have found Burt's Bees Radiance line to really deliver in comparison to this and have switched.
I think this product will probably work well if you have SEVERELY dry/flaky skin but still unsure about the absorption.