Alba Botanica Sea Plus Renewal Night Cream

3.9

Not tested on animals

Ingredients Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, glyceryl stearate SE, vegetable glycerin, aleurites moluccana seed oil, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, sorbitan stearate, stearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, mangifera indica (mango) seed butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, sorbitol, certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, stearic acid, squalane, sodium PCA, allantoin, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, polysorbate 20, extracts of spirulina maxima (algae), ulva lactuca (sea lettuce), laminaria digitata (kelp), chondrus crispus (irish moss) and macrocystis pyrifera (kelp), citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit, cucumis sativus (cucumber) seed, arnica montana flower, anacyclus pyrethrum root and camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extracts, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C), phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, potassium sorbate, sodium hyaluronate and fragrance (parfum).5/23/09

Just ran out of my Andalou Naturals night cream and picked this one up to try out. I like that it claims to brighten skintone and fade dark marks, because I have a lot of old acne marks I'm trying to get rid of. I can't comment on that aspect just yet, but I can tell that I absolutely love the formula of this cream. It is extremely thick, like a balm but it hydrates and plumps like a high end moisturizer. It has a very pleasant scent that reminds me a lot of the Clarins Iris toning lotion scent, but it may be too strong if you're not a scented skincare person.

I really enjoy using this at night. Just a small amount is needed for my face and neck. You wake up with hydrated, plump and glowing skin in the morning. I use it in combination with the enzyme scrub and toner from the same line.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I have been using this for a week (the 'new' version) and definitely moisturizes and leaves my skin plump and bright in the morning. So far no results with scar fading--will update if that changes. I love that it is cruelty free and about half the price of department store night creams (I paid $16 I think). A little goes A LONG WAY!!!! The first time I used this I used way too much and I ended up waking up with a super greasy face, so be careful. I really hate the packaging; tubs are basically a pool for germs so you must make sure you wash your hands right before you stick your fingers in there. It definitely has a strong, manly smell to it that I wish wasn't there; sort of off putting but not a deal breaker. If you're sensitive to scents I would not recommend it. Also, it does not break out my acne-prone skin!! I can usually use all Alba products with no problem.

PROS:
A little goes a LONG way
Great moisturizer, brightens skin
Lasts a long time
Cruelty-free
Affordable
Good for acne-prone skin

CONS:
Strong scent
Tub packaging
So far no scar fading

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is a rich and moisturizing cream. I use this during the day sometimes, but just a little tiny bit. I hate that it's in a jar package, but most night creams are unfortunately. I haven't noticed any change in discoloration (I have a lot of red discoloration on my face) but I didn't expect the cream to do much for that anyway. All in all, this is a very nice nighttime cream for a reasonable price.

The cream is indeed very moisturizing and absorbs quickly without feeling greasy. I like how light it is, which is usually difficult to find in an ultra-moisturizing night cream (I have very dry skin, so I need to bring out the big guns). The smell is a little dated, but doesn't bother me. I think I also noticed reduced redness, but it wasn't very obvious. Overall, I recommend it strictly as a moisturizer, and not for the redness reducing qualities.

I have very sensetive skin and can beak out with many products.
I am very impressed with this cream. I use it at night every other night and this seems to moisterize me without over doing it and making me break out.

Very thick and moisturizing but I have to agree with another reviewer that this "smells like laundry detergent". After using it for 2 weeks, I had to stop because the smell was just too strong. :-(

I spent a good deal of time looking for a suitable night cream, and I finally settled on trying this one - not extravagantly expensive (I think I paid $21), "natural" product without too many nasties (or so I had hoped - the Good Guide seems to think otherwise, but I'm not sure I buy their rating. For this reason, I might go on the search again once I finish this container.), and solid moisturizing properties.

While this cream's primary claim is uneven tone reduction, I purchased this more as an all around night-cream. I rely on my Arbonne RE9 Serum for anti-aging properties.

Pros: moisturizes adequately - much better than any other moisturizers and night creams I have tried, including my Clinique Moisture Surge. I previously had tried Neutrogena's natural night cream, which I think would be OK for summer, but it's just not enough during the winter. This one does a much better job in dry weather.

Added bonus - I got dry patches on my hands that wouldn't go away with regular creams - a few dabs of this at night, and I had soft, healed hands the next day.

Cons: The texture is a bit sticky - you can't just glide it on your skin. However, I've found that if you apply it right after washing and/or pat it on, it's fine. Also, if I apply this over my Arbonne vitamin C serum (RE9), it can sometimes pill up and flake off. However, I've noticed if I let the serum sink in a little longer, this is minimal, and the patting method helps as well. I've found this cream can sometimes make vapors that stings my eyes, but I think this is only an issue when they're already irritated or dry.

I am pretty sensitive to "smelly" creams, and I have to say I find the light fragrance appealing and not too obtrusive. However, if it came in unscented (which, maybe it does), I would prefer that.

I won't comment on packaging, as everyone has their preference - personally, I like to use every last drop, so the pot is a plus, although not great for travel.

The one thing this claims to do - reduce discoloration after 2 weeks - did not happen for me. The dark/age spots are still there at the end of the jar. However this is a nice natural cruelty-free moisturizer from a reliable company and worth a try. I used it both morning and night - it isn't so greasy you can't put on makeup after. But not so great that I noticed any textural or other improvements.

I am surprised people didn't like the scent: I found it pleasant, not perfumey.

I'm marking it down mainly for not working as hoped and marking it as a "not buy again" because since that didn't happen, there are probably other moisturizers that achieve the same basic purpose.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have very, very touchy (sensitive, combination, dries out easily) skin and am still getting breakouts in my late 20s, so it's a challenge to find skincare products that don't exacerbate my acne. I've generally had very good luck with alba botanica's stuff, and have been using this regularly at night. It is heavy, but it soaks in well and my skin is smoother and brighter on mornings after I've used it. I can't say it makes my acne any better, but it doesn't irritate my skin at all. I'll definitely repurchase. My only quibble is I don't like the tub-- it would be nice to have a squeeze or pump bottle.

My skin is combination, with some pgimentation issues and the beginnings of lines and sagging on the cheeks. Personally I hated the smell and the very greasy consistency. Also I couldn't really get it to sink into my skin, no matter how little of it I use. I can't attest to its effectiveness because I didn't use it long enough to say.