Laura Mercier Coffee Ground

4.1

on 6/21/2008 2:21:00 PM

This may seem bring to some, but it was exactly what I was looking for. It's described as a cool charcoal brown, and that's pretty accurate. I think it's perfect! I wanted a cool dark brown for lining or doing a more dramatic smokey brown eye. This works great, it's matte with no shimmer or glitter. I actually used it all over my eye today and then blended some Cover Girl Tapestry Taupe (which is really sheer) over it to lighten it up a bit. You can also wear Tapestry Taupe all over and use Coffee Ground as liner and in the outer corner. It's nice combination for everyday wear. Nice quality eyeshadow. Expensive, but I have been looking for a shade like this for a while, so I feel it's worth it.

on 2/26/2008 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is densely pigmented and the first time I used it I put on way too much and ended up looking terrible. the only way to wear this for me is as a liner or a little bit of defining of the outer corner of my eye. I wanted to use it on lids but it just won't work for me, I'm too fair.
The colour is a dark dark brown but I think it is more warm than cool so on me it does't come out quite as nice as it could have. Quality is great but do not even try to use this w/o a primer. It'll look really bad with intense colour caked and crumbled.
Will not buy again in this shade.

on 7/2/2007 4:58:00 PM

I love Laura Mercier packaging, unlike most here but I do not like this product. I mean...at first I did but then I found out this creases so much more than my Face Stockholm eye shadow in similar shade. It is very dark matte brown without any red tones and I use it on my brows too. Uh...I wish I would have had enough strenght to wait for a while before I ordered another of these (deep night). This is way more pigmented than her shimmer shades which in my opinion arent really great. Only color I truly love from Laura is Silver Screen. Others turn to an ugly greyish shade. I have another brand shadows that dont do it. I prefer the old Revlon wet & dry shadows for these.

on 5/19/2006 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Love using this as a liner on casual days. I have dark eyes and olive skin. Most of the time I need black to really show over my skin tone. Coffee Ground though is very pigmented so it looks nice when I don't want the deep, black color.

on 1/16/2006 9:41:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Coffee Ground looks very blah in the pan, and as of right now, I think it looks pretty blah on my lids as well. It's very soft and pigmented and a little goes a long way, so in that sense the $20 is worth it. However, Coffee Ground is a very plain matte dark brown - no sparkle, no slight shimmer, no nothing. I'm not quite sure how to use this color yet - right now I'm experimenting by using it in the outer v with Nars Tokyo all over the lid, and it looks pretty good, but it's definitely too dark to use as an all over lid color. I think I may use it as a liner and possibly to shape my brows, but I'm still undecided as to whether or not to return it because $20 seems a bit steep for a liner/brow powder/plain brown shadow!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

beautiful dark matte brown...it does remind me of coffee grounds!! the pigment is excellent...great texture....glides easily...overall,a great e/s! great when paired w/ goldenaire pigment...cant wait to try more LM eyeshadows!! this is my first one...this is heavily pigmented so i use a fluffy brush for a softer application..for reference,im C5/C40

I love my coffee ground shadow....you can layer it to add intensity but in a way, it always looks natural and sexy. I took away one lippie bc it tends to fade and rub off, but I fix the prob by just using an eyeshadow base (L'Oreal De-Crease works great), and it's also a little pricy. However, the color is to die for, and I recommend that you check it outt.

on 10/28/2004 12:54:00 PM

I agree with the reviewer below-this is my staple for when I am doing smokey day eyes. But the fact is I find all of Laura Mercier's shawdows excellent but this colour is a must.But they must think this too since it is always included in their palettes.

on 10/21/2004 10:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is one of those cases, where we all say 'I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet' - and I can't believe nobody else has either. This is a deep brown with grey undertones. Sounds dull, but this is so finely milled you have great control on the effect: you can create a very soft, transparent wash to a beautiful smokey eye to a fantastic long-wearing wet eyeliner effect. I wouldn't be without it, it's extremely versatile and extremely good quality. Everyone who has seen it on me or used it has raved. Repurchase? Definitely, although it lasts for years!

Popular Eye Shadows