Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Bon Vivant

3.8

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my 2nd favorite BPAL scent. It's smells like fizzy sweet champagne and strawberry preserves. On some days, the scent wears off my skin quickly, but on other days, it lasts and lasts. I am almost finished with the imp I have, and am pretty certain I'll be buying a full size bottle of it soon [edited: two full bottles have since been purchased!] Another thing I like about it is that when I keep the imp in my purse, I get a whiff of the scent every time I open my purse. :-) It's a happy, light, and uplifting scent, and it's impossible to be in a bad mood while wearing it!

on 5/22/2005 3:47:00 PM

This is the sharper, bubblier sister of Hollywood Babylon. At first the champagne and strawberry were perfectly balanced but eventually the strawberry triumphed. Luckily it isn't an overly sweet note like so many synthetic strawberry scents - this smells like the actual fruit, not the many products people try to make smell like strawberry.

on 4/7/2005 7:07:00 PM

BPAL newbie, so of course I went imp shopping! I bought a 5ml on eBay because it sounded like something that I'd like. I'm still undecided. I do smell the strawberry and whatever is supposed to be champagne...well it smells medicinal to me. Honestly this is only a "wet" review because I'm a bit reluctant to try it on! As has been quoted repeatedly regarding
BPAL oils...body chemistry is everything!

on 2/15/2005 11:29:00 PM

An effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry Hmmm, initially this was so lush I thought it was a violet or a rose scent but it soon became obvious it was strawberries and champagne! This is a super sweet scent which only gets sweeter and more candy like. Ultimately it is too sicky sweet for me to wear although I do also find it addictive, just not so to wear. continued >>

on 1/28/2005 9:55:00 PM

A bubbly strawberries and champagne fragrance. I can almost feel the champagne bubbles when wearing this- it really sparkles. The perfect fragrance for celebration.

on 1/25/2005 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I consider this to be similar to Victoria's Secret's Strawberies and Champagne sans the cheapness. It actually smells a bit more mature and genuine than the VS scent.

on 12/17/2004 3:36:00 AM

Bubblegum sweet strawberry and fizzy champagne bubbles. Really, very well blended and surprisingly quite addictive. And quite wearable, despite its sweetness. Despite the fact that its not a typically "me" scent, its still one of the few BPAL scents out of the hundreds I've tested that I'd consider full bottleworthy.

on 11/27/2004 11:41:00 AM

This scent very accurately replicates strawberries and champagne. On me, it did not become more complex than that--I didn't smell anything else--but as it dried down, it became more of a warm-skin smell (although still strawberries and champagne). I found it pretty and subtle, a bit boozy without being alcoholic, and it didn't gag my sensitive and vocal husband, which always helps.
It smells like a party. It's definitely a celebratory scent. And it was weird--the next day, I didn't want to smell it, the same way I would not want to smell champagne the day after I'd indulged in too much of it. That went away, though.

I liked it all right, but I'm not sure I'd repurchase; I said I would, but I truly don't know. I'll have to use more of it to see. continued >>

on 10/10/2004 10:07:00 PM

First Sniff:

Strawberry lipgloss. I smell strawberry scented lipgloss. I'm in 6th grade again and it's not a good thing. But I'll give it a shot, I wanted to try this and I'm going t try it...*bravely forges ahead*

Wet on Skin:

Nope, still strawberry lipgloss, and it's getting worse. This smells exactly like those nasty Bonny Bell lipgloss things I used to love so much smell like. Unfortunately it brings back bad memories for me...

Dry Down:

The lip gloss scent has dimmed somewhat, but it's still sickeningly sweet and artificially fruity smelling. I toughed it out, but now I'm going to wash it off. I wanted to like this, I really did. I love strawberries and champagne, absolutely adore them, but this just smelled way too much like cheap strawberry lip gloss, which on its own was sickening enough, but when combined with the memory of middle school, was downright troubling.

The Bottom Line:

I wanted to like it. I tried it. I can't stand it. To me, it's the smell of cheap drugstore strawberry lipgloss...the kind that makes you nauseous to smell it and that tastes almost as bad as it smells. Sadly, it's going to have to be swapped. continued >>

Popular Fragrances