Maybelline Clear Smooth 2-Way Foundation

2.9

on 8/1/2006 10:01:00 AM

ok at first i liked it.... kept shine at bay. Eventually, i dunno why, but it got more n more cakey.. like a thick layer of powder on my face. Looked horrible!!!
Den I tried to use a brush instead to apply.. those for loose powder (i was using a sponge before). This brought me gd results. Looked natural and still kept shine at bay. Plus its cheap. No breakouts. So i might be buying it again.

on 7/1/2006 1:42:00 PM

I thought it was time i gave my comments after using it for nearly a year.
Initially bought the wrong shade, or maybe I was darker that time, but after getting the right shade, it's good for me. It controls oil (along with my moisturizer that supposedly helps to mattify too), doesn't break me out as long as i clean my face thoroughly with cleansing oil and helps to give me medium coverage, just sufficient. I admit it does look slightly cakish and obvious that you are using foundation but then so does some of the high - ended brands. As for the compact with no mirror, i find this weird as i'm from asia and the 2 way cake does come with mirror and a separate compartment for the sponge.

Value for money I would say :) already on my 2nd case!

on 1/16/2006 3:57:00 AM

The reason I bought this product only because it was on sale. I never like any product from Maybelline except their mascara. This is probably the worst 2 way foundation or face coverage that I have ever used. If you're going for something natural, this is something that will never give you that result. It cakes easily and it does look like you're wearing a mask. It doesn't absorb oil in fact, it makes your tzone looks blotchy. It's also drying and overall, it's a terrible product. The only reason I gave the packaging a 2 because it's compact but it has no mirror. The coverage is below average moreover, if you have dry or a little dry combination skin, it'll make your dry spot very obvious. Not suitable for high humidty. A very powdery cakey mattte finish. Not worth the money.

on 12/13/2005 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

BAD. i used it ONCE n nv ever used it again. cheap but a complete waste of my money. i admite i hv v oily skin esp in e t zone but tis was e ultimate. by lunchtime (and i was wrkin in aircon), e foundatn had oxidised on my nose n u cld see my pores V clearly cos the foundatn changed colour to brown! rly horrendous. However, i suspect i will alwaes hv such a prob though with most foundations (hardly use m/u). Can anyone advise me on how to counteract tis disgusiting oxidatn prob pls?

on 11/6/2005 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Break out for me. =(

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

i love this product. i had emptied 2 refills already and i soo love this poduct! my face gets really oily, but this one is great!doesn't feel "heavy" and doesn't cake.. :) im planning to buy a foundation in the same brand. maybe pure stay :)

on 8/15/2005 6:58:00 AM

[EDIT 9/13/05] this breaks me out whenever I use it .. :/ [/EDIT]

[EDIT 8/20/05] actually, if you want better oil control I think you will have to use an oil-absorbing base before this ... cause this product isn't so much about keeping the shinies away on itself. =) [/EDIT]

I bought this product today so my review will of course be edited through time. first impressions: just the coverage I wanted - not at all masky; evens out the skin and DOES help control oil. now I'll just have to look out for signs of breakout. =)

on 7/21/2005 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

a good 2-way foundation that provides light coverage and helps control oil a bit. i would repurchase it just because i like the shade #21.
EDIT: too cakey for dry skin. won't repurchase.

on 6/21/2005 8:07:00 AM

It was horrible. Even when I applied the product lightly, it looks like a mask. A very thick mask I must say. Have used it only a couple of times. Will not ever be using it again.

on 12/12/2004 12:38:00 PM

i've been a faithful user of maybelline's purestay, and since i was running out of it anyway, i decided to give clear smooth a try. i bought it in #21, and it matches my skin almost perfectly. it does glide on more smoothly than purestay.

i experimented with two sponges--a wet one and a dry one, and took pics with my digicam on both times. i found that that using a dry sponge with clear smooth gives better coverage, especially with my VERY dark undereye circles. at first i didn't know why, but then i saw in the pics that the wet sponge gives you a weird streaky look (i DID squeeze the sponge well after wetting it, so it wasn't sopping). with the dry sponge, you just get this matte yet totally natural finish. you just have to get the application right--more on the blemishes of course, and just a light layer all over the face.

the staying power is great as well, just a little touch-up needed by lunchtime. it doesn't make you shine at all either--no oilies here. it even made my pores disappear! and again, i want to emphasize that it's not cakey, just really light and airy. then i put on my blush. to finish, i swirl on a VERY light layer of clear smooth with a brush and viola! it gives me that same "soft focus" look as with BE mineral veil, but for a LOT less.

it also comes in a cute little oval compact that i like a lot better than purestay's bulky silver plastic one. in all aspects, it's way better than purestay! i LOVE this product and i would definitely buy again.