November 26, 2014 | 950 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Treatment

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by erykahjm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have naturally straight, flat, blah hair (thanks to my Portuguese and Spanish blood). Being a hair chameleon, I dye, bleach, re-dye, highlight, etc. my hair WAAAYYY more than I should. My hair finally decided to give up on me after my most recent bleach cap. I heard about this protein treatment and used it with heat. I experienced no breakage and my hair is still holding on strong. This stuff worked wonders on my hair. If not for Aphogee protein treatment I'd probably be rocking short hair again (which took me FOREVER to grow out). Love it!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2012 12:44:00 PM More reviews by babymia647

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is a good product but it is just not for my protein sensitive hair. I had crazy breakage after using this :(

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2012 12:30:00 AM More reviews by wannabehealthy

This product works but the side effects are not worth it. I bought this to stop breakage on my over processed bleached hairand this product made me lose hair. Im talking more than ive ever expereinced washing my hair. Every hair was lost from my root and the roots are my strongest bc it hasnt been processed as much. I looked up the ingredients and sodium laureth sulfate causes hair loss. This product also uses fermaldhyde as a binder but not sure if that is enough to cause cancer. Does anyone know a website that promotes products that avoid the top ingredients that can easily seap into your skin?
UPDATE I found the perfect website EWG.org

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The first time I tried Aphogee, I had a good laugh. Not because the product doesn't work, but because it works all too well. For $4.99/bottle, it just shows what is possible if you have a customer base that refuses to pay exorbitant prices for a hair restructuring/conditioning treatment. The customers who made Aphogee are the girls in the hood, not suburban soccer moms who don't know any better. My hair was extremely damaged from multiple dyeing/stripping over highlighted hair (to make a long story short, it started with trying to tone highlighted hair with a color that made it turn red, and trying to fix it from there.) It became really thin and like doll hair, and I was concerned it would just break off. I heard about Aphogee and got it from Sally Beauty Supply. It does really work to save extremely damaged hair by coating it with protein. I didn't find the smell bad either, maybe they've changed the formula? It IS messy, but I can live with that once a week. After applying you are supposed to dry the hair completely, ideally with a hood hair dryer, but I don't have one so just use a small handheld one. As the hair dries it first turns sticky, then stiff and crunchy. That's how you can see that Aphogee is really something different. You are supposed to let it dry completely, then rinse and follow with a deep conditioner (you do have to use a deep conditioning treatment immediately afterwards, but not necessarily the one that Aphogee makes.) After using for the first time, my hair looked nearly "normal" again, and although I wasn't kidding myself that I was out of the woods yet, it at least was not in danger of breaking anymore. After my hair is back to normal, I'll continue using it at least 1x/month and maybe can get it to actually grow longer (I heard that hair will not grow past a certain point when it gets damaged).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 6:05:00 PM More reviews by DLo323

bleached HALF of my waist length hair (obviously i did not know what i was doing).
~BEFORE APHOGEE
*my hair was fried fried Fried!
*pourous to the max!
*looked and felt Ugly period!

i tried this treatment for a 3months twice a wk not every 6wks as everyone states to use. didn't notice any difference on the bleached hair ALTHOUGH, the other half of my hair was silky and feeling great! i got impatient and ended cutting my hair very short(just long enough to cover my ears).

~AFTER APHOGEE
*my hair is silky and strong
*growing extremely fast!!
(i still use TWICE A WEEK)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by lexigal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is an absolute HG miracle for damaged hair. I use this every 6 weeks, followed by a moisturizing conditioner and it has saved my hair. If you highlight, bleach or relax your hair you MUST use this. Beats Nexxus Emergencee by a landslide, tho that product is good as well.

The only con is it smells a but and is a PITA to use. But worth it. Oh, so worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2011 5:16:00 AM More reviews by hippihanna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a good protein treatment to "strengthen" hair not soften it. It reduces breakage, split ends and shedding. It will not repair extremely damaged hair, the only solution for that is to cut the damaged hair out! For slightly damaged hair and brittle hair, it works! But becareful with it and only use once every 6 weeks as if used more than that you could experience adverse effects.
I have used this on my extremely, extremely damaged hair and it didnt do anything miraculous to save my hair.I tried it again a week after thinking maybe i had not done it properly and my hair was falling in the shower whilst rinsing it out! Thats why i warn you to use it Sparingly!
I have since cut the damaged hair out and am growing my hair out naturally. I use this every other month and it really helps keep my hair really strong and prevents split ends. (I have dry brittle hair naturally)
Tips: make sure you dry it 100% for the full affects. Even though the top feels dry and hard, poke your fingers through to the under layers to feel for dampness and stickiness. If it is still sticky, you'll have to continue blowdrying.
Rinse well and Condition very well after! Do not use any condiotners or masks that contain any protein because you risk creating a protein overload in your hair. Look for 'hydrating' masks and avoid anything 'repairing' as it may contain protein. I dont use the conditioner in this line as i dont feel that it's moisturing enough.
I use a vinegar rinse after to rinse out residues and seal my cuticles.
I will continue to use every 2 months or so to keep my hair in tip top shape.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2011 11:34:00 AM More reviews by flsun

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The best way to describe the smell is this: when I came out of the bathroom with the protein treatment on my hair, our dog came running! She was sniffing everywhere, and when she realized it was my hair, she went nuts! She was wagging and sniffing, and I had to close her out of the room... If you know anything about what smells dogs like, you'll have a clear picture of the odor in this product.

After using it and blowing my hair out normally, I can say my hair is fuller & shiny. It is not, however, soft, and, as others have stated, the smell lingers/wreaks. I'll post a follow-up review in a week or so to report on any lasting benefits. For now, I can't see using this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 4:01:00 PM More reviews by loomisks

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have thin, thin, fine, fine hair. It is dry no matter how much conditioner I put on it - and Ithave tried just about everything. I tried this product based on the reviews and I was glad I did. It works. My hair looked so much better and felt great after just the first time. I am looking forward to seeing the results after using on a regular basis.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2011 8:27:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Yea! I got the bright idea to bleach my relaxed hair. Ok so it was time for damage control.

I am considering cutting my ends off because they are the driest, but I used this first to see if a overdose of protein would help first.

1.This this sticky and smells like a butt.
2. It makes your hair extra crunchy like you dipped it in a tub of gel. ( I though that was pretty cool).
3. It works

The condition of my hair improved significantly and I am happy. But I think I should still cut my ends because its been forever since I had a hair cut. I will continue to purchase this. I took a lippie off because it is so freaking messy. It should be put in a spray bottle.

Oh I did not use the Aphogee conditioner because that doesn't work for me. I used my home made DC.